BajaNomad

What Is West Baja walk

Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  9

micah202 - 3-25-2013 at 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGeoff
Their friend Stephen dropped off the stand up paddleboards at my house on Thursday. They are absolutely huge....14 feet long and meant for serious long distance paddling!

[Edited on 3-25-2013 by BajaGeoff]

...Geoff,,,be sure to send a couple of big 'corona' umbrellas with those boards.....the lads will be thanking you,me forever!!!:biggrin:

.................'sails' for the north winds,,,shade when there's not!!!

[Edited on 3-25-2013 by micah202]

BajaGeoff - 3-25-2013 at 01:20 PM

Jajajajaja!

The boys...

BajaBlanca - 3-27-2013 at 10:56 AM

The boys are here in La Bocana ! chilling on the porch as they catch up on emails and probably feeling much cleaner after a shower and for sure feeling fuller after Les's Polish eggs !

paranewbi - 3-27-2013 at 11:32 AM

Lets see....from Imperial Beach, if I start walking right now....

mmmmm, polish eggs!

mtgoat666 - 3-27-2013 at 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
The boys are here in La Bocana ! chilling on the porch as they catch up on emails and probably feeling much cleaner after a shower and for sure feeling fuller after Les's Polish eggs !

according to their map, they should next be heading over to SOC. i'll be passing by them next week, and will bring them some smokes. do they like marlboro lights or camel bare a$$ ?

DENNIS - 3-27-2013 at 12:32 PM

Quote:

That's it. Now they'll never leave.
Here's some inspiration for the boys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7MlFdFs1z0

micah202 - 3-27-2013 at 06:54 PM

.........they sure are making good time now!:o

BajaBlanca - 3-27-2013 at 07:46 PM

The boys were here and indeed moved on. It was very inspirational to talk with them = they are low key and in sync with Baja and each other. They are having fun - which is key. They are averaging 20 miles a day...their spot check is not working and they are Ok with that. They are excited to get to Abreojos due to possible waves. I told them to look up Chelo and Dave there. Heads up Abre. Give them a nice welcome.

They wil head to san ignacio and I told them to look for Juanita (Jane) at Casa Leree. They are looking forward to seeing whales, won't that be something since it is their first time ever. From SI, over to Mulege and they have decided to start the SUP from there.

These kids are amazing. They are so happy doing this walk. Light in spirit and soul. Very cool. So, here are some photos:

This is Justin as he arrived this morning ! What a sight he is with the board !

Here they are catching up on emails:

me and the boys for posterity - I can say " I know them " when they hit Hollywood:

and I walked them out to the edge of town, just like I did with Mike Younghusband, they were all set with peanut butter, chocolate snack bars, apples, bananas and some moolah for the road:

Here is a pic of when we met Mike on his way to La Bocana:

He also got some food (hot fresh burritos) and OJ and moola !

BajaGeoff - 3-28-2013 at 02:25 PM

Awesome Blanca! Thanks for the excellent update!

Are there any Mulege Nomads that might be able to store the paddleboards and gear until Justin and Bryan arrive there? It looks like I have a way to get them delivered to Mulege...just need storage.

DENNIS - 3-28-2013 at 03:05 PM

I'm really starting to appreciate these guys. You too, Blanca. Nice Nomad hospitality.

EnsenadaDr - 3-28-2013 at 08:33 PM

Yes, well it appears their adventure was good enough for Smithsonian articles, they are so humble, they only posted it on their Facebook page.

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/adventure/2013/03/faces-from...

chuckie - 3-28-2013 at 09:22 PM

Iam in Mulege,in Loma Azul.....915 400 5004...I can store em...

paranewbi - 3-29-2013 at 04:49 AM

what an awesome article cited by Ensenada Dr.! Really takes care of all those naysayers who have criticized and questioned the sincerety of these two young travelers and their quest to explore TODAYS Baja. The future is here with each sunrise and it is no less interesting than the past!

BajaBlanca - 3-29-2013 at 08:28 AM

Thank you, Dennis !

so we need a Mulege contact .... and Chuckie has come through ! Good on YOU !

BajaGeoff - 3-29-2013 at 09:08 AM

Excellent Chuckie! I will be in touch when we get the plan together and know when the boards will be heading your way. ¡Muchisimas gracias!

J.P. - 3-29-2013 at 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by paranewbi
The future is here with each sunrise and it is no less interesting than the past!

What a Wonderful Concept. Wouldnt it be Fantastic if it Caught on.

mcfez - 3-29-2013 at 10:23 AM

Blanca......
Great update.

These guys are total fakes. Sitting around on fancy patios and being fed. ;)

"......Ra ra ra ra" says McFez for these two guys.

I read where they cant get fish. Are they fishing at first sunrise or sundown....in the surf? Perhaps a fisherman at your place can give them a fast 101 on fishing. In the beginning postings, they were asking for tips on fishing, so.........

"......Ra ra ra ra"
"......Ra ra ra ra"
"......Ra ra ra ra"
Go boys go!

[Edited on 3-29-2013 by mcfez]

chuckie - 3-29-2013 at 11:03 AM

I sense jealousy in this last post...cant get anyone to let him sit on a fancy patio and feed him....Poor Baby.....waaa waaa

the swimmers

mtgoat666 - 3-29-2013 at 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
Blanca......
Great update.

what was for dinner?

EnsenadaDr - 3-29-2013 at 11:24 AM

What else do you do in Baja? Eat, drink and be merry. Except these guys are hiking the 20 miles or so a day...so they can afford to eat all they want!!
Quote:
Blanca......
Great update.

I read where they cant get fish. Are they fishing at first sunrise or sundown....in the surf? Perhaps a fisherman at your place can give them a fast 101 on fishing. In the beginning postings, they were asking for tips on fishing, so.........

"......Ra ra ra ra"
"......Ra ra ra ra"
"......Ra ra ra ra"
Go boys go!

[Edited on 3-29-2013 by mcfez]

DianaT - 3-29-2013 at 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
........ Except these guys are hiking the 20 miles or so a day...so they can afford to eat all they want!!

:yes:

I think they are doing great and who can blame them for accepting some good old fashion hospitality along the way. I look very forward to their films and stories! :bounce:

DENNIS - 3-29-2013 at 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT

I think they are doing great and who can blame them for accepting some good old fashion hospitality along the way.

For sure. These guys arn't Buddhist Monks wandering in search of truth.
It's good to kick back, relax and recall the fine points of their journey before they're lost in the marvel of the next day. :cool:

mcfez - 3-29-2013 at 03:30 PM

What senses? :-)

Perhaps you need to read my post again...and "sense" the joke. Everyone else did.

Now stop your waaa waaa and let's keep the topic clean of little girlyboys insults.

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
I sense jealousy in this last post...cant get anyone to let him sit on a fancy patio and feed him....Poor Baby.....waaa waaa

BajaGeoff - 3-29-2013 at 04:01 PM

A ping on the Spot tracker from yesterday.....Abreojos!

Ateo - 3-29-2013 at 06:28 PM

Too bad there ain't more swell for surf. If they hang for a week there's something on the horizon. Good luck guys.

paranewbi - 3-29-2013 at 06:58 PM

"If they hang for a week there's something on the horizon"

Wait!! is that code for a secret spot location? No one ever tells me nothing...

BajaBlanca - 3-30-2013 at 09:40 AM

Maybe they are going to hang out for a week ! waves are waves !

What is West

rufflife - 3-31-2013 at 02:55 PM

I had the honor of meeting the guys the day before yesterday, and had an amazing time hanging out with them yesterday. Love, love, love their attitude!! I can't wait to hear more stories about their journey and wish them nothing but the best. Wishing I had time to make the same type of trek, but will have to settle for journeying vicariously through them... For now.

P.S - This is for the guys... Brian's - How are those sunglasses holding up? I hope the duct tape keeps that screw in place - You might not be so lucky next time. :)

BajaNomad - 4-1-2013 at 11:17 PM

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=478497422204314

http://www.facebook.com/WHATISWEST

EnsenadaDr - 4-1-2013 at 11:47 PM

I just love the photographs...and their style of writing.

DianaT - 4-1-2013 at 11:57 PM

Quote:
I just love the photographs...and their style of writing.

There is such a purity, innocent, and honesty in their style. :yes:

BajaGeoff - 4-2-2013 at 10:35 AM

Justin and Bryan are heading east to the Sea of Cortez! The latest ping is from Sunday. The stand up paddleboards will be leaving San Diego tomorrow and heading down the peninsula courtesy of Tim Morton from Baja Bound Moto. Stoked!

David K - 4-2-2013 at 02:49 PM

Did they get a panga ride from Abreojos, or just across the lagoon?

DianaT - 4-2-2013 at 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

Neither --- they flew over the lagoon

[Edited on 4-2-2013 by DianaT]

DENNIS - 4-2-2013 at 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad

THat's really a lonely shot. Good........but lonely.

EnsenadaDr - 4-2-2013 at 04:36 PM

Normally I don't get philosophic, but it reminds us that we are all together in our journey through life...but ultimately we are still alone.
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

THat's really a lonely shot. Good........but lonely.

DENNIS - 4-2-2013 at 04:40 PM

Quote:
Normally I don't get philosophic, but it reminds us that we are all together in our journey through life...but ultimately we are still alone

Is it the solo surfboard that inspires such gooey thought? :biggrin:

EnsenadaDr - 4-2-2013 at 04:43 PM

I think, Dennis, the greyness and the aloneness of the surroundings reminds me of what life can be at times, but the two of them walking together make it bearable. No, the surfboard did not even remind me of my son, even though he is an avid surfer.

micah202 - 4-2-2013 at 11:52 PM

Quote:
Justin and Bryan are heading east to the Sea of Cortez! The latest ping is from Sunday.

...happy memories from S.I.lagoon,,,camped there a few days,,fishing,,,kayaking with the greys,,lotsa turtle-shells around...

.......it looks like the lads have embarked on a classic hike across the backbone....I'm jealous.
.........any water-sources through there?? :?:

Whale-ista - 4-3-2013 at 12:36 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Wait, what! They flew!?!? Seriously?

I'd like to know how they managed that!

I've flown into SI from San Diego, but never just across the lagoon.

Does someone offer that service for locals, or was it a special arrangement for their unusual mode of travel?

Looking forward to their SUP reports.

Whale-ista - 4-3-2013 at 12:38 AM

Quote:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=478497422204314

Lovely shot- they'll recall those walks alongside the cool ocean with great fondness, especially once they cross over to the gulf.

DianaT - 4-3-2013 at 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Whale-ista
Quote:
Quote:

Wait, what! They flew!?!? Seriously?

I'd like to know how they managed that!

I've flown into SI from San Diego, but never just across the lagoon.

Does someone offer that service for locals, or was it a special arrangement for their unusual mode of travel?

Looking forward to their SUP reports.

They have a picture on their facebook page of the inside of the plane. They said they flagged down the plane and off they went!

They seem to be adaptable when they encounter a snag in the plans. Good for them as it is all a part of the experience.

Graham - 4-3-2013 at 09:52 AM

What a great trip they have dreamed up and good to see them just moving along... relishing all the unpredictability and kind encounters. So Baja!

BajaGeoff - 4-4-2013 at 01:28 PM

Here is the photo from the plane. Classic!

BajaNomad - 4-5-2013 at 07:32 PM

How freakin' cool is this?:

----

When one decides they want to commit themselves to a daring adventure, they must sensibly ask if there have been others before them. Has anyone else walked the Baja Peninsula?

One of the first names you’ll come across in the annals of modern Baja history is Graham Mackintosh. The self-described ‘English bloke’ was visiting Los Angeles in the late 70’s when he heard about Baja’s star port town, Ensenada. So Graham hopped on a bus and found himself in a place so otherworldly and interesting that he began hitchhiking his way around, simply digging the place. A couple years later he would return to completely circumnavigate the Peninsula on foot, some 3000 miles, and occasionally accompanied by a burro.

So what is a redheaded fair skinned English teacher doing walking around in one of the world’s longest most isolated peninsulas? Chasing the ultimate tan? Maybe…

Graham’s story is a long one. He tells it humbly and beautifully in his first book, “Into a Desert Place”. From what I remember, Graham was disenthralled with his job teaching remedial English to unemployed youth. He saw the wasted and hopeless faces of his students, who instead of doing something with their free time, wallowed and floundered in misery. So Graham says to himself, why don’t I do something inspiring that’ll give them a kick in the buttocks. So he decided to walk the Baja peninsula. Next thing he knows, he’s on local television and he has a sponsorship from the local outdoor store.

It took Graham two years to complete his trip. He practically funded the trip himself by writing articles to newspapers, ecstatic if he got a $50 check in the mail. And many times he relied on the generosity of people who had read his articles, traveling gringos who’d throw him a couple beers and a hot meal.

Graham, the humble celebrity, now lives in San Diego with his wife. This year marks the 30th anniversary of when he began his walk. Justin and I had the opportunity to meet the legend after he happily accepted our invitation to a sushi lunch. For two hours he regaled us with stories and freely dispensed his invaluable knowledge of Baja. The most evident thing about Graham is his optimism and gumption, and whereas most people might scoff at the idea of walking such a distance, he gave us a big smile and told us we’d have a great time.

http://www.whatiswest.com/a-desert-place/

DENNIS - 4-5-2013 at 08:18 PM

Quote:

How freakin' cool is this?:

Paying respectful homage to the master. Humility can be very impressive.
Well....I'm impressed.

EnsenadaDr - 4-5-2013 at 08:38 PM

I got to give you credit DENNIS as well, you are one of the humblest....:cool:

DianaT - 4-5-2013 at 08:41 PM

They are a real class act!

mtgoat666 - 4-8-2013 at 12:29 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I thought they were going to walk Baja?

Flying Baja sounds like the boys are a bunch of tender feet dilettantes.

IMHO!

:lol::lol:

Seems like every time going gets tough, they call a taxi!

DENNIS - 4-8-2013 at 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666

They're young.....not stooopid.

DianaT - 4-8-2013 at 07:56 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I agree --- they are quite resourceful, it seems and that is just a part of the adventure. Swimming across the lagoon was not a good option. :biggrin:

I hope they check in soon --- just wondering where they are and how they are doing.

mtgoat666 - 4-8-2013 at 09:27 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I agree --- they are quite resourceful, it seems and that is just a part of the adventure. Swimming across the lagoon was not a good option. :biggrin:

... just commenting,... :spingrin::spingrin::spingrin:
:saint::saint::saint::saint::saint:

they skipped a nice area between abreojos and san ignacio lagoon, area with interesting enviro story,... thought their trip was about environmental documentary,... :?:

btw, lots of pangas in the lagoon area, would have been easy (i think) to arrange a ride across the lagoon if they chose to walk that coast... :light: :?:

just saying! :spingrin::spingrin::spingrin:

;D;D;D;D;D;D;););););)

BajaGeoff - 4-8-2013 at 09:30 AM

Here is a ping from Friday night...they are getting very close to Santa Rosalia...

micah202 - 4-8-2013 at 10:11 AM

....that looks like an incredible area they're in,,
....I can't imagine what they're doing for water--I doubt there's many fishcamps or much of -anyone- to spare a few litres(?):wow:

......soooo want to see some pics.

.... i wonder what the daytime temperatures are like?:?:

[Edited on 4-8-2013 by micah202]

BajaGeoff - 4-8-2013 at 11:10 AM

Yeah...that area looks really remote with a lot of elevation changes....it has to be a challenging stretch. I am sure they stocked up in San Ignacio and it is only about a 40 mile hike as the crow flies to Santa Rosalia....so they should be good until they reach the Sea of Cortez.

BajaNomad - 4-8-2013 at 01:59 PM

Posted about 2 hours ago:

"Our iPhone has guided us over 600 miles south using Apple maps (surprising??). But crossing the peninsula from the pacific to gulf we had to navigate the old fashioned way."

Head's up, Mulege!!

Mulegena - 4-8-2013 at 02:31 PM

Spotted these two just this morning about 10 miles south of Sta. Rosalia on Mex-1.

The blondish hair under sombreros is a clue, but the surfboard/backpack was the clincher!!

Figure they should reach Mulege by tomorrow night (Tuesday April 9).

Anybody want to go out to meet 'em?

Sunman - 4-8-2013 at 02:50 PM

Quote:
Justin and Bryan are heading east to the Sea of Cortez! The latest ping is from Sunday. The stand up paddleboards will be leaving San Diego tomorrow and heading down the peninsula courtesy of Tim Morton from Baja Bound Moto. Stoked!

We ran into these guys probably just before this ping on Sunday...they were out on the salt flats heading to San Ignacio having just finished seeing the whales at Pachico's. We shared a couple of quick beers with them and sent them on their way with a small bottle of Coralejo to keep 'em warm that night as the winds were starting to kick.

They are some good dudes. We told them to never mind the grumpy key board commando's on here and that most of us are kind people as demonstrated by Blanca and others. They were stoked, so were we and we wish them well on their journey.

tiotomasbcs - 4-8-2013 at 02:55 PM

Hey Gang. I was up in the area last Thursday visiting friends in Mulege and exploring the area. Heading east from San Ignacio I passed the guys about 10 k east walking o stretch next to hwy. It was at least 90 degrees but they were in good spirits! Small talk and they said they were going to cut across from hwy thru some ranches into Mulege. I believe they may miss the Cuesta del Infierno, too bad!! Gave them some bubble gum and headed out. They were very positive. Suerte, Amigos. Tio

[Edited on 4-8-2013 by tiotomasbcs]

DianaT - 4-8-2013 at 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
Spotted these two just this morning about 10 miles south of Sta. Rosalia on Mex-1.

The blondish hair under sombreros is a clue, but the surfboard/backpack was the clincher!!

Figure they should reach Mulege by tomorrow night (Tuesday April 9).

Anybody want to go out to meet 'em?

I hope you can time it well and find where they will be coming into town since it sounds like they will not be on the highway. It sure sounds like it would be fun to welcome them into town!

BajaGeoff - 4-8-2013 at 03:15 PM

Super cool!

I got an email from Justin today. He said the stretch through the mountains they did over the weekend was extremely difficult. There were no existing trails, just endless ravines with tons of brush and cactus. They got scratched and cut up and also lost the Spot tracker at some point. They met a rancher that fed them cheese and tortillas and later came across an oasis where a fisherman shared some of his catch. They are pretty beat up and tired...but definitely looking forward to getting to the Sea of Cortez and starting the aquatic leg of their journey. The stand up paddleboards should be delivered in Mulege this afternoon.

Paddle boards delivered

TecateRay - 4-8-2013 at 11:20 PM

The Bajabound Moto Adventure crew dropped off the paddle boards today. Quite a feat negotiating Mulege's narrow streets with the big trailer, but Dean made it right to the driveway for the delivery.

EnsenadaDr - 4-9-2013 at 04:23 AM

Wow sounds pretty gnarly, to quote an old surfer expression. Just hope they keep in mind about the afternoon squalls that can start up on the Sea and can be dangerous at times.

BajaGeoff - 4-9-2013 at 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TecateRay
The Bajabound Moto Adventure crew dropped off the paddle boards today. Quite a feat negotiating Mulege's narrow streets with the big trailer, but Dean made it right to the driveway for the delivery.

Yeah Ray! Thanks so much to you, Tim and the rest of the Bajabound Moto crew for helping out!

David K - 4-12-2013 at 09:37 AM

Quote:
Super cool!

I got an email from Justin today. He said the stretch through the mountains they did over the weekend was extremely difficult. There were no existing trails, just endless ravines with tons of brush and cactus. They got scratched and cut up and also lost the Spot tracker at some point. They met a rancher that fed them cheese and tortillas and later came across an oasis where a fisherman shared some of his catch. They are pretty beat up and tired...but definitely looking forward to getting to the Sea of Cortez and starting the aquatic leg of their journey. The stand up paddleboards should be delivered in Mulege this afternoon.

Guess their Spot Emergency device has failed, or just turned off...? 4 days and no change since they were going cross-country between San Ignacio and Mulege: http://www.whatiswest.com/where-are-we/

Keri - 4-12-2013 at 09:44 AM

David , I thought I read that they lost the device. Does anyone know,k PS in the post just above says they lost it:(

[Edited on 4-12-2013 by Keri]

BajaNomad - 4-12-2013 at 09:44 AM

Quote:
Quote:
They got scratched and cut up and also lost the Spot tracker at some point.

Guess their Spot Emergency device has failed, or just turned off...? 4 days and no change since they were going cross-country between San Ignacio and Mulege: http://www.whatiswest.com/where-are-we/

Per the above, and the following notation on their FB site... they lost the Spot device. Adios. Gone.

Quote:

"Just had a gnarly trip through the mtns. No route. Cactus ripping up our legs. Socks soaking up sweat and blood. Our packs were snagging on all these desert plants. Lost the SPOT (the tracking device) when a cactus ripped it off and we didn't notice. It's gone. "

https://www.facebook.com/WHATISWEST

EnsenadaDr - 4-12-2013 at 10:34 AM

Isn't their a Nomad that is living near the area that could perhaps loan them another one? Is there a possibility of turning on GPS on the phone once a day without incurring much of a fee, or a computer program that could locate them online?

chuckie - 4-12-2013 at 10:56 AM

Hey, its Baja! They will git er done...I checked on the boards this morning, we just got back from Ascuncion last nite...Thanks to whomever delivered them....

BajaGeoff - 4-12-2013 at 11:54 AM

Thanks for the help Chuckie! BajaNomad TecateRay delivered the boards on Monday afternoon as he was coming through town in a support vehicle with a Baja Bound Moto tour.

The Spot is gone....I asked the guys if they wanted me to try and get another one down there, but did not hear back. Unfortunately I won't be able to do any more updates, but at least the next leg of their journey will be somewhat unknown until their documentary comes out!

DianaT - 4-12-2013 at 01:36 PM

Will miss the updates here. Hope they will be able to check into facebook now and then!
The documentary should be great!

BajaBlanca - 4-12-2013 at 03:11 PM

I know they are in Mulege as of yesterday.

It really is a bummer that they don't have the spot check any more. I think that being on the water, they would really want to have one.

DianaT - 4-12-2013 at 03:21 PM

Quote:
I know they are in Mulege as of yesterday.

It really is a bummer that they don't have the spot check any more. I think that being on the water, they would really want to have one.

Did they get to stay in Mulege at one of the places you were finding for them?

chuckie - 4-12-2013 at 05:31 PM

They are in Mulege, spent last night at hotel Terrazas...I think they are moving up to "Don Chanos" today..I hear they are waiting for some folks to fly in and Kayak part way with them...Been too busy to run to run them down..maybe manana'

DianaT - 4-12-2013 at 05:49 PM

Quote:
They are in Mulege, spent last night at hotel Terrazas...I think they are moving up to "Don Chanos" today..I hear they are waiting for some folks to fly in and Kayak part way with them...Been too busy to run to run them down..maybe manana'

Hope you connect with them and I hope they are enjoying the rest after the trip over the mountains!

EnsenadaDr - 4-12-2013 at 07:35 PM

How much do the spot checkers cost?

Bajaboy - 4-12-2013 at 07:39 PM

Quote:
How much do the spot checkers cost?

The Internet is a wonderful thing: http://www.findmespot.com/en/

ligui - 4-12-2013 at 09:25 PM

Why do they need a new spot checker ? Everyone knows where they are now every day ,as they are in places with people and food. Dr. Ensenada . maybe some money for the locals that give them food could use some cash for their needs. The boys will be just fine .

Lets fund the locals .

David K - 4-13-2013 at 07:05 AM

As an emergency lifeline to get help, I wonder why they didn't back-track once they discovered it gone? Since they are going by sea from Ligui or Agua Verde to La Paz (hardly a populated stretch), I would think this lifeline beacon would have been near essential? Maybe their plans have been modified? Of course, there were adventurers before SPOT or GPS or RADIO, after all!:smug:

Good luck guys!

DENNIS - 4-13-2013 at 07:08 AM

Quote:
As an emergency lifeline to get help, I wonder why they didn't back-track once they discovered it gone?

From what was said, it would have been backtracking through hell.

DENNIS - 4-13-2013 at 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ligui
Lets fund the locals .

:lol: Where would one begin?? :lol:

chuckie - 4-13-2013 at 07:14 AM

Lots of people have done the sea thing without crutching on technology. The most remarkable one, I have seen, was a guy rowing a beautiful wooden East Coast Dory. He left from San Felipe and went to San Jose Del Cabo.....That was maybe 20+ years ago...

mtgoat666 - 4-13-2013 at 07:35 AM

Quote:
Lots of people have done the sea thing without crutching on technology. The most remarkable one, I have seen, was a guy rowing a beautiful wooden East Coast Dory. He left from San Felipe and went to San Jose Del Cabo.....That was maybe 20+ years ago...

Yes, but these guys have extra ability of speaking in hash tags! :bounce:

ligui - 4-13-2013 at 07:41 AM

Wow dennis , i never thought about it that way . :no::spingrin:

mtgoat666 - 4-13-2013 at 09:03 AM

Quote:
Well, I will say this... I wish I was doing what they are instead of being on the computer! :lol::yes:

Why aren't you?

BajaBlanca - 4-14-2013 at 08:27 AM

the guys, it seems, stayed in a hotel in the end. My acquaintance said she was going to make them a meal and offer a shower....not sure if this happened or not.

I haven't checked fb today to see if there is an update....

mcfez - 4-14-2013 at 09:17 AM

Can we stay on track about these great foot explorers and not read about some political bs..... please?

UPDATE: Thanks for deleting that political post DavidK. Perhaps Off Topics be the best place to air your gripes.

These two are having a great experience for sure. having ranch cheese for lunch is just an experience alone.....since most cheeses made at the various ranches are different from the next ranch. The (what I supposed) fresh made tortillas right there at the ranch...must be a treat itself as well.

I certainly hope that you two guys are taking some pictures of these "casa de los amigos".........

McFez is still doing the ol' "Ra ra ra go go go" for yeah!

[Edited on 4-15-2013 by mcfez]

mtgoat666 - 4-14-2013 at 10:15 AM

Quote:
Can we stay on track about these great foot explorers and not read about some political bs..... please?

Their mission statement says they are documenting a particular number of environmental issues, threats, changes, etc. (when asked for specifics they would not say what issues, and recently have removed their mission statement from blogs). enviro change or protection is always politics, so don't know why politics is off limits here.

They chose to promote their trip as a blogosphere event for all to follow and comment on, so if topic drifts, that's to be expected! Social media is fluid, rules of discussion are free range.

chuckie - 4-14-2013 at 07:12 PM

They are still hanging around Mulege, sleeping in Mikes front yard....Most significant question asked so far "Where can we find some girls"

chuckie - 4-15-2013 at 09:44 AM

They left Mulege this morning, not a pretty sight...Headed for open water, when I came back from town...they were at the mouth of the river, a Kayak and another paddleboard were with them...

desertcpl - 4-15-2013 at 11:01 AM

lets see some pics,,

chuckie - 4-15-2013 at 11:08 AM

Didnt take any..........

fashionistas in mulege

mtgoat666 - 4-15-2013 at 11:09 AM

Quote:
They left Mulege this morning, not a pretty sight...

were they wearing seersucker and white shoes before memorial day? mixing stripes and polka dots? please explain the fashions that you found unpretty!

chuckie - 4-15-2013 at 11:14 AM

That too.....

BajaGeoff - 4-16-2013 at 09:37 AM

From their Facebook page:

[Edited on 4-17-2013 by BajaNomad]

Curt63 - 4-16-2013 at 09:44 AM

I wish these guys caution and luck. I really hope they have a handheld VHF and a new Spot device. So much depends on the weather. Suerte Amigos. Vaya Con Dios!

mtgoat666 - 4-16-2013 at 10:02 AM

Quote:
From their Facebook page:

those are nice SUPs! Looks like they float quite high! Float so high that one of the dudes is wearing hiking boots w/o fear of getting them wet! looks like fun platform for fishing, perhaps even too big for fishing SUP

[Edited on 4-16-2013 by mtgoat666]

[Edited on 4-17-2013 by BajaNomad]

EnsenadaDr - 4-16-2013 at 10:06 AM

Very pretty pictures...nothing like getting up early to enjoy the sunshine and beautiful scenery.

Pompano - 4-16-2013 at 10:15 AM

I just hope they did NOT fall in that river. Lots to worry about there...plus that kayak/paddle down the Cortez coastline from Mulege can be highly dangerous if strong winds come up. I recall 3 kayakers who lost their lives in a guided group trip in the 70's. Keep a good weather eye out!

Stay safe and Good luck on your continuing adventure.

mtgoat666 - 4-16-2013 at 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
I just hope they did NOT fall in that river. Lots to worry about there...plus that kayak/paddle down the Cortez coastline from Mulege can be highly dangerous if strong winds come up. I recall 3 kayakers who lost their lives in a guided group trip in the 70's. Keep a good weather eye out!

Stay safe and Good luck on your continuing adventure.

they should wear leashes, wear a flotation device on rough days, and should carry an extra paddle,...

also, don't forget sun screen!

p.s. kite might be nice for low-moderate downwind days

Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  9