BajaNomad

Jimena

Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9  ..  14

Sharksbaja - 9-2-2009 at 02:23 PM

Can you get the Hobie in there?;D

Good luck you two. I think you are the only ones online still around there. Keep us posted.

btw, the Burro Beach weather site went down 30 mins ago.

[Edited on 9-2-2009 by Sharksbaja]

Bob and Susan - 9-2-2009 at 02:25 PM

thank god the batteries a charged

and of course thanks to los frailes for our outstanding sat internet system

and setting the dish on the non-windy side of the kitchen :biggrin:

Sharksbaja - 9-2-2009 at 02:27 PM

Bob and Susan - 9-2-2009 at 02:28 PM

we've been draining the pool all day and its STILL full

Hook - 9-2-2009 at 02:30 PM

Bob, you need to get a shot of the dish during the storm. Maybe with a dachshund flying by in the wind. It'll be a great promo shot for Wayne's services. :wow:

BCSTech - 9-2-2009 at 02:31 PM

Golly, the predicted track last night/early this morning was so totally off. It showed Jimena skipping along the Pacific side much further North before turning across the penninsula. It must be at least 15° to the right.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to everyone up in Loreto/Mulege?Santa Rosalia.

Bob and Susan - 9-2-2009 at 02:31 PM

im still online;D

comitan - 9-2-2009 at 02:36 PM

Bob

Don't worry about the water in the pool, our was spilling over now the wind has blown at least 1/2" out. And its still blowing its going to last awhile.

jannyk - 9-2-2009 at 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
im still online;D

And we're right here with ya! Hold on tight!

capt. mike - 9-2-2009 at 02:37 PM

Bob - i'm watching you from snottsdale. good luck my friend.
gotta check in on Marv and Cathy too.:?:

hope all my Mulege friends are OK.

Bob and Susan - 9-2-2009 at 02:41 PM

tell them to post pictures of the river

we have some friends here that live in that area

what is the condition in town

shari - 9-2-2009 at 02:41 PM

Ok...lets start a "When will palapa spin off into never neverland?" pool...I bet it happens in the middle of the night when I cant take photos..
wow susan, I am so impressed with your sat dish!

well, we used up all our plywood on everyone elses homes and now dont have enough to cover our windows..dang....we just dont know where this thing is gonna come from....south...or east or north????

Bob and Susan - 9-2-2009 at 02:42 PM

oh man...it's really blowing outside...WOW:wow:

MitchMan - 9-2-2009 at 02:44 PM

Comitan,
What do you think the wind speed is? Do you still have electricity? How bad is the flooding at this point? Hope all is well with you.

LianeR - 9-2-2009 at 02:53 PM

Any word on Loreto? Haven't heard from friends there and know water has been shut off for 4 days and wondering if the power is out. Anybody know anything?

Thanks.

Bajagypsy - 9-2-2009 at 02:54 PM

Shari what is the latest greatest news?

comitan - 9-2-2009 at 02:55 PM

MitchMan

Wind about 15-20 mph, have had electricity since yesterday evening when centenario and us were out for about an hour, chemetla was not out I believe.
I think by tomorrow you will be able to go anywhere in the area, with some water in the low spots. We had no problems.

Ciudad Constitucion hit hard

aldosalato - 9-2-2009 at 03:14 PM

Between 7 and 9am the wind hit Constitucion area at full force. Snapped electricity and telephone poles. Damages to roofs and poorly built houses. Not much rain but wind has been strongest in 30 years according to local people. No report of loss of life till now but will have to wait final report of authorities in the area.

shari - 9-2-2009 at 03:16 PM

really windy here now...whiteout with so much sand blowing and our palapa is nots long for this world I dont think and we are just experiencing the outer edge of it....want to go for a swim in the blowhole between gusts...no rain yet but super dry and a billion degrees now....wish it would rain.

Bajagypsy - 9-2-2009 at 03:19 PM

I will be sad to see the palapa go, Have had a drink or two under that Palapa. Stay safe, and thanx for the update!

austriaco - 9-2-2009 at 03:21 PM

are there any reports about San Juanico? I have not seen a single one yet.

Cypress - 9-2-2009 at 03:22 PM

comitan and morgaine7, Glad to hear that your pools are OK.

rhintransit - 9-2-2009 at 03:29 PM

thanks, what is your source? anything on Pto Escondido/Loreto area? no word from there. of course if major electricity is out in Constitucion, it's out in Loreto.
great to hear from folks on the forum checking in frequently/updating on their locales from here and there but no news is worrisome news for other areas which were in direct line of fire. anyone hear anything, please post! thanks.

Quote:
Originally posted by aldosalato
Between 7 and 9am the wind hit Constitucion area at full force. Snapped electricity and telephone poles. Damages to roofs and poorly built houses. Not much rain but wind has been strongest in 30 years according to local people. No report of loss of life till now but will have to wait final report of authorities in the area.

Natalie Ann - 9-2-2009 at 03:43 PM

Must run in the family....
shari becomes a yahoo news reporter....

"Everyone is kind of breathing a sigh of relief," said Shari Bondy, who rents homes and runs a campground with her family in the remote coastal fishing village of Bahia Asuncion, halfway up the peninsula from Los Cabos.

With the weakening storm expected to arrive there Thursday night, she said "everything is still all boarded up, roofs are tied down, everything is ready, but right now we have blue skies."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/tropical_weather

nena

aldosalato - 9-2-2009 at 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rhintransit
thanks, what is your source? anything on Pto Escondido/Loreto area? no word from there. of course if major electricity is out in Constitucion, it's out in Loreto.
great to hear from folks on the forum checking in frequently/updating on their locales from here and there but no news is worrisome news for other areas which were in direct line of fire. anyone hear anything, please post! thanks.

Quote:
Originally posted by aldosalato

Land phone lines seems still working in some area of town. Received a phone call at 4pm by an engineer friend of mine that reported of the local situation.

submarine_dbk - 9-2-2009 at 03:45 PM

Just spoke with neighbors in Punta Chivato and it is getting hammered currently with extremely heavy rain and wind (estimated up to 100 mph). Of the last few storms, they characterize this as worst by far.

MitchMan - 9-2-2009 at 03:46 PM

Thanks, Comitan. Verygrateful for the update.

Bob and Susan - 9-2-2009 at 03:48 PM

yea it's really bad here on the bay too

just lost 3 panels on the garage door
looks like work tomorrow

winds are really high
lots of water

the town HAS to be hammered
that's why no one posts here

emergency situations

austriaco - 9-2-2009 at 03:50 PM

Quote:

are you still ok Bob and Susan? we have not heard anything from you since more then an hour now!

JESSE - 9-2-2009 at 03:50 PM

Incredible that they are getting so much rain and wind, and down here when it was closest, we didn't get much.

how hi is the river

cortezkid - 9-2-2009 at 03:51 PM

i am looking for any info about downtown Mulege? my mom and dad have a house in la fortuna is the water up in the river. please send me photos or infor i can pass on to them here in colorado they are getting ready to come on down and clean up again:mad:

austriaco - 9-2-2009 at 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by austriaco
Quote:

are you still ok Bob and Susan? we have not heard anything from you since more then an hour now!

Just while I wrote this you gave a sign of life! Thanks God.

Bob and Susan - 9-2-2009 at 03:55 PM

jesse this is Incredible

the wind is horrible

we are almost an island again

the water is cresting the beach now

the wind shifted a little and is comming more from the south
it was comming from the east

the hurricane MUST be moving north

shari - 9-2-2009 at 03:57 PM

here are some prestorm pics of the streets that will be rivers and boarded up homes etc. for your entertainment pleasure....take a last look at the trimaran which probably wont be there later!

http://picasaweb.google.ca/sharibondy/HuricaineJimena?feat=d...

We are in a bit of a lull so I've donned my bikini and am gonna jump in the ocean to try to cool off a bit.

San Juanico...4:00 pm PST

Juan del Rio - 9-2-2009 at 03:58 PM

Last report at 2:30 pm PST that the winds were clocked at 85 mph with rain and that it was coming inland. No word on damages at this point. Last email from my contact was that they were taking their things and finding a location with a concrete roof and steel doors as their home has a palapa roof. I was surprise they were able to get an email out.

bahialovers - 9-2-2009 at 04:08 PM

Shari is also on MSNBC. Here is the link.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32653657/ns/weather

Everyone please stay safe. Does anyone know how La Ventana made out. we have friends there and haven't heard from them since Monday.

BCSTech - 9-2-2009 at 04:15 PM

About 30 minutes ago...

comitan - 9-2-2009 at 04:16 PM

bahialovers

I have been watching Baja Joes web cam @ Ventana didn't look like they got hit hard.

http://www.bajajoe.com/Web_Cam.htm

bahialovers - 9-2-2009 at 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
bahialovers

I have been watching Baja Joes web cam @ Ventana didn't look like they got hit hard.

http://www.bajajoe.com/Web_Cam.htm

Thank you Comitan

arrowhead - 9-2-2009 at 04:27 PM

The last four satellite images (the same source that BCSTech just posted), which cover a span of 1 hour show Jimena has not moved off of Mag Bay. The center appears to be wobbling along the shoreline area of the bay.

k-rico - 9-2-2009 at 04:31 PM

Do you mean Bahia Concepcion or am I missing something?

comitan - 9-2-2009 at 04:35 PM

Bahia Concepcion

k-rico - 9-2-2009 at 04:38 PM

Wondering if it will pick up energy and reform/strenghten over the SOC.

Hang on Mulege. :(

[Edited on 9-2-2009 by k-rico]

Bajagypsy - 9-2-2009 at 04:45 PM

Thanx for the pictures shari, that makes me happy! Glad you are still ok!

BajaWarrior - 9-2-2009 at 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by k-rico

Bite your toungue! We don't need anything like that in the SOC!

k-rico - 9-2-2009 at 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
Quote:

Bite your toungue! We don't need anything like that in the SOC!

Looks like it's there. Hang on Mulege. :(

BigWooo - 9-2-2009 at 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Juan del Rio
Last report at 2:30 pm PST that the winds were clocked at 85 mph with rain and that it was coming inland. No word on damages at this point. Last email from my contact was that they were taking their things and finding a location with a concrete roof and steel doors as their home has a palapa roof. I was surprise they were able to get an email out.

I guess that was wishful thinking on my part that they were spared. Looks like the center passed 11 miles from town.

arrowhead - 9-2-2009 at 04:47 PM

Quote:
Do you mean Bahia Concepcion or am I missing something?

Right. Bahia Concepcion. I'm multi-tasking and just jumping in and out of the board for a few seconds at a time. In the meantime another satellite image came in and Jimena has still not moved appreciably. About one-half of it is over the SOC and the other half over land.

Taco de Baja - 9-2-2009 at 04:51 PM

Quote:

My thoughts too.
I'm wondering why all the models show it heading back to the Pacific,, rather than marching up the warm waters of the Gulf, especially with a low to suck it up near the AZ, CA border.

On another note, parts of San Diego, Riverside and Orange Counties are currently under either a Flash Flood or Severe T-Storm watch from the National Weather Service....Completely unrelated to Jimena, but wild weather all over.

Skipjack Joe - 9-2-2009 at 04:52 PM

Shari.

By the time that storm reaches you guys she'll be a Jimenita.

Enjoy your swim.

San Ignacio

baja Steve - 9-2-2009 at 04:54 PM

Any info from San Igncio or the Laguna

Bill Collector - 9-2-2009 at 05:02 PM

East Cape
We drove around the town of Los Barriles today. You can see where dirt ran off on to some of the roads. No water in any of the arroyo's. we ended up with 2 3/4" rain, clocked the highest winds at 60..We were so lucky, have had winds all day long. small white caps.

Latest from mulege via cell

coho - 9-2-2009 at 05:06 PM

Just spoke via cell with friend from Mulege in town on north side of the river north of Saul's. Lost power about an hour ago. They went for a ride through town at 3 pm...nasty but nothing destroyed. Heavy wind and rain but not a catastrophy yet. Will check in by cell again in 2 hours. Cross your fingers.

News from Loreto

Loretana - 9-2-2009 at 05:07 PM

I just got thru to my friends in Loreto.

Juan Carlos Cortez (owner of Mita Gourmet) said the 85 mile per hour winds made Jimena the worst storm he's seen in his eight years in Loreto. The canopy in front of the restaurant is gone.

He also said that palm trees on the Malecon between the Mision Hotel and Mediteranee Restaurant are sheared off at the ground.

No loss of life to report and power and water are off.

I will post photos as soon as I receive them.

shari - 9-2-2009 at 05:09 PM

had a great swim to cool off during the lull...got out of the pool just in time before a big blast of wind began..whew

after about half an hour everything cleared up...blue skies again...swell is down to about 3'..wind 10 knots...so weird...juan is fishing off the rocks in front of the house!

[Edited on 9-3-2009 by shari]

SharonT - 9-2-2009 at 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by coho
Just spoke via cell with friend from Mulege in town on north side of the river north of Saul's. Lost power about an hour ago. They went for a ride through town at 3 pm...nasty but nothing destroyed. Heavy wind and rain but not a catastrophy yet. Will check in by cell again in 2 hours. Cross your fingers.

Thank you for your post! We are so worried about Saul, Rafael, Antonia and others in Mulege. Please post again when they call.

Beachgirl - 9-2-2009 at 05:18 PM

Shari darlin'...last post pretty scrambled. Glad you got in a swim. We are thinking of you and Juan. Mike and I started c-cktail hour a little early today since we can't actually DO anything from here to help except worry, which we are pretty good at doing like everyone else. Hang in there, Baby!

Beachgirl - 9-2-2009 at 05:19 PM

SharonT - SO grateful for your post. Please please let us know anything you scoop. Is the river rising yet? Gulp!

danaeb - 9-2-2009 at 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Taco de Baja
Quote:

My thoughts too.
I'm wondering why all the models show it heading back to the Pacific,, rather than marching up the warm waters of the Gulf, especially with a low to suck it up near the AZ, CA border.

We have a really strong high pressure ridge here in SoCal that's probably keeping her from going anywhere. Probably why she's stalled. (I'm not a meteorologist - I just play one on BajaNomads :lol:)

Since Burro Beach quit reporting

coho - 9-2-2009 at 05:23 PM

At approx. 3 pm Burro Beach went down on reporting wind conditions at 50 mph. Bob and Susan have been reporting major winds and some damage to their property. Any new reports from Concepcion?

BCSTech - 9-2-2009 at 05:23 PM

Shari's pic

Paula - 9-2-2009 at 05:25 PM

Thank you Loretana

The city of Loreto shut the water off yesterday at 1pm according to Lynn's community news update, and it is to stay off for 4 days. A friend on Facebook who is in Loreto now last posted there at 5:45 this morning that wind blew all night, there was little rain, and the power was trying to go off. It looks as though communication is not possible down there now.

Bob and Susan, I hope you're hangin' in and can keep us informed as you have been doing.

It sounds horrendous down there, and I hope my fears are overblown. I'm afraid that people in the mountains and ranches are are really suffering through this-- San Javier, San Francisco, and the canyons below San Francisco.

Pray isn't a word I use much, but it's on the tip of my tongue right now.

Bob and Susan - 9-2-2009 at 05:28 PM

right now it HOWLING!!!
water water water

the sea has breached the top
we are an island again

if you have a place in the bay of conception or
in mulege you have damage

you need to "come on down":light:

it's pretty wild here and i haven't even been to town:O

San Juanico 5:30 pm PST

Juan del Rio - 9-2-2009 at 05:32 PM

Winds have died down to 35-45 mph. No reported damage at this time from two reporting locations. They have not ventured out from their homes, so any damage around town is still unknown at this time. Rain is continuing they said, but the worst has passed.

JESSE - 9-2-2009 at 05:45 PM

I have a report from a friend in downtown Mulege, he says theres lots of damage, specially to roofs.

lindsay - 9-2-2009 at 05:50 PM

Spoke with my daughter's relatives in Mulege earlier this afternoon as reported by others...lots of rain and wind...they could barely hear me talking because the rain was pounding...everyone is nervous about how rain will continue and impact river...so keep your fingers crossed for them!! I'll post more when I hear from them again tonght hopefully.

Hendo - 9-2-2009 at 06:00 PM

Looking to head down as soon as possible/ roads permits. Can anybody who has had experience with this situation comment on what is in most need that I can bring. Including materials, tools, goods. Looking for a basic check list. Have a long way to travel so need to get started.

shari - 9-2-2009 at 06:09 PM

just talked to our cousin in San Lucas cove...it was raining hard but not too much wind...no damage...they are all fine.

so sorry for all of you in mulege and the east side...hang in there amigos.

Paula - 9-2-2009 at 06:11 PM

More from Loreto

Just talked to Elizabeth by phone, she is in Loreto. It was a nasty day, with high winds, rain, and blowing debris from trees and palapa. She says they were smart to cut the water, because a lot of dirt would have entered the system making purification difficult, and causing other possible damage. Power is still out.

The good news is that it is over now. Wind has stopped except for occasional gusts, and clouds are lifting. From where she is, near centro, she thinks the damage to homes and plants is not too severe.

We'll be glad to hear when it is over in Mulege-- you guys have had your share!

Loretana - 9-2-2009 at 06:13 PM

"Prayer isn't a word I use much, but its on the tip of my tongue right now"

I'm with you Paula!!

Dwaine and Julie Wooten report from the center of town that many trees are down, as well as poles and phone and electrical lines. And that the worst has passed. They see CFE crews venturing out to assess the damage.

Now we have our friends in Mulege to stew over!

Sunman - 9-2-2009 at 06:29 PM

Quote:
Winds have died down to 35-45 mph. No reported damage at this time from two reporting locations. They have not ventured out from their homes, so any damage around town is still unknown at this time. Rain is continuing they said, but the worst has passed.

Thanks, please keep the reports coming as you receive them.

Bob H - 9-2-2009 at 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Bob and Susan, Good luck. It's looking like you all are in the "eye" of the storm.

Bob and Susan, we are so looking forward for this thing to get over with. We wish the best for you guys - stay hunkered down! Love you updates. Looks like lots of water in this one!!
Bob and Audrey H

Bob and Susan - 9-2-2009 at 07:00 PM

it just got dark

still wet and windy...

yuk

LaTijereta - 9-2-2009 at 07:08 PM

I have never seen this..:O
GFDL has the storm circling back to Mag Bay for another lap!
They "have" been very good with forcast..

ep200913_model.gif - 26kB

San Juanico around 1:00 pm PST this afternoon

Juan del Rio - 9-2-2009 at 07:10 PM

High winds and a lot of rain

Jimena_9_2_09_037X.JPG - 34kB

TheColoradoDude - 9-2-2009 at 07:10 PM

Judging from that map I think I could draw the exact same conclusions! I hope everyone is all well.

David K - 9-2-2009 at 07:10 PM

Bob and Susan... we are with you in spirit! Also, Juan y Shari... as well as the Nomads we haven't yet met: Please stay safe and if the time comes to duck, then duck! Alcohol is the best way to calm the winds (I have heard)... so stay lubricated!

David and Elizabeth

San Juanico around 1:00 pm PST this afternoon

Juan del Rio - 9-2-2009 at 07:14 PM

Some homes with Palapa roofs are gone.

For those who know the Weather Station in San Juanico, it has been reported that the "Rock" is still there and doing a great job of continuing to provide the latest in accurate weather forecasting!

[Edited on 9-3-2009 by Juan del Rio]

Jimena_9_2_09_047X.JPG - 31kB

BajaNomad - 9-2-2009 at 07:16 PM

Quote:
For those who know the Weather Sation in San Juanico, it has been reported that the "Rock" is still there and doing a great jop of contiuing to provide the latest in accurate weather forecasting!
I kid you not, Michelle just asked me within the last 30 minutes what the status of the weather station rock was....

:lol:

shari - 9-2-2009 at 07:39 PM

I feel for all of you this evening who sustained damage and are in the thick of things... i hope you get some sleep after this hard day

this is our 7:30 report...fishing was fine...still very hot...15 knot breeze from the west...clear skies...beer stock going down...no rain at all
this is our report at 7:30

the Jimena sunset over kelp bed....sweet dreams all....thanks for all of your prayers and concern....they worked....for now

k-rico - 9-2-2009 at 07:48 PM

Just saw some video on Mex TV from Cd. Constitucion. It got hammered, a lot of structures damaged.

Jimena

tehag - 9-2-2009 at 07:50 PM

Just talked to Loreto. Terrible cell phone connection. Some high wind, lots of rain, power out, some damage, streets generally open. Over now, at least for now.

Iflyfish - 9-2-2009 at 07:50 PM

Way to go Juan!!!! We all needed that!

Iflyfish

woody with a view - 9-2-2009 at 07:51 PM

damn, Shari!!!!!

the dream is still alive...

to the rest in the path, we're with you.

rbwrivers - 9-2-2009 at 07:55 PM

I'm so happy to see those pics and know u are safe.

The Mulege river

BajaCull - 9-2-2009 at 08:23 PM

What's the current word about the river in Mulege?

Has it started to rise? It will.

I'm concerned about the people on the river. We lost our home there in 2006.

It will flash flood when it comes. Everyone should get out of it's way. Our neighbor was killed in the 2006 flood.

Downgraded to "Tropical Storm" as of 8pm PDT

BajaNews - 9-2-2009 at 08:31 PM

TROPICAL STORM JIMENA ADVISORY NUMBER 22
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL EP132009
800 PM PDT WED SEP 02 2009

AT 800 PM PDT...0300 UTC...THE GOVERNMENT OF MEXICO HAS CHANGED THE
REMAINDER OF THE HURRICANE WARNING TO A TROPICAL STORM WARNING. A
TROPICAL STORM WARNING IS NOW IN EFFECT FOR THE BAJA CALIFORNIA
PENINSULA NORTH OF PUERTO SAN ANDRESITO TO SAN JOSE DE LAS PALOMAS
ON THE WEST COAST...AND NORTH OF LORETO TO BAHIA DE LOS ANGELES ON
THE EAST COAST.

AT 800 PM PDT...0300 UTC...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL STORM JIMENA WAS
LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 27.0 NORTH...LONGITUDE 112.3 WEST OR ABOUT
20 MILES... 35 KM...SOUTH OF SANTA ROSALIA MEXICO

JIMENA IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTH NEAR 9 MPH...15 KM/HR. A TURN
TOWARD THE NORTHWEST AND A DECREASE IN FORWARD SPEED IS EXPECTED
TONIGHT...WITH A TURN TOWARD THE WEST ON THURSDAY. ON THE
FORECAST TRACK...THE CENTER OF JIMENA WILL MOVE OVER THE CENTRAL
BAJA CALIFORNIA PENINSULA TONIGHT AND THURSDAY...THEN MOVE INTO THE
PACIFIC OCEAN WEST OF BAJA CALIFORNIA THURSDAY NIGHT.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS HAVE DECREASED TO NEAR 70 MPH...110
KM/HR...WITH HIGHER GUSTS. ADDITIONAL WEAKENING IS EXPECTED DURING
THE NEXT DAY OR TWO. JIMENA IS FORECAST TO WEAKEN TO A TROPICAL
DEPRESSION BY LATE THURSDAY OR THURSDAY NIGHT.

TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 140 MILES...220 KM
MAINLY TO THE EAST OF THE CENTER.

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 988 MB...29.18 INCHES.

JIMENA IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE ADDITIONAL RAIN ACCUMULATIONS OF 4 TO
8 INCHES OVER THE SOUTHERN HALF OF THE BAJA PENINSULA AND PORTIONS
OF WESTERN MEXICO DURING THE NEXT DAY OR SO. ISOLATED MAXIMUM
STORM-TOTAL AMOUNTS OF 15 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE IN ASSOCIATION WITH
JIMENA. THESE RAINS COULD PRODUCE LIFE-THREATENING FLASH FLOODS
AND MUD SLIDES.

HIGHER THAN NORMAL TIDE LEVELS WITH LARGE AND DANGEROUS BATTERING
WAVES ALONG PORTIONS OF THE COAST OF THE BAJA PENINSULA WILL
GRADUALLY SUBSIDE DURING THE NEXT DAY OR TWO.

BajaNews - 9-2-2009 at 08:34 PM

TROPICAL STORM JIMENA DISCUSSION NUMBER 22
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL EP132009
800 PM PDT WED SEP 02 2009

WHILE THERE HAVE BEEN NO RECENT MICROWAVE OVERPASSES OF
JIMENA...LATE AFTERNOON VISIBLE SATELLITE IMAGERY SUGGEST THAT THE
MID- AND UPPER-LEVEL CENTER OF JIMENA IS DECOUPLING FROM THE
LOW-LEVEL CENTER. RECENT SURFACE OBSERVATIONS SHOW THAT THE
LOW-LEVEL CENTER REMAINS OVER THE CENTRAL BAJA CALIFORNIA
PENINSULA. MODERATE TO STRONG WEST-SOUTHWESTERLY UPPER-LEVEL WINDS
ARE EXPECTED TO TAKE THE MID- AND UPPER-LEVEL CENTER
EAST-NORTHEASTWARD TOWARD MAINLAND MEXICO...WHILE THE LOW-LEVEL
CENTER IS FORECAST TO TURN NORTH-NORTHWEST...THEN WESTWARD
IN THE
LOW-LEVEL FLOW. MOST OF THE TRACK GUIDANCE AGREES WITH THIS
SCENARIO AND THE OFFICIAL FORECAST IS SIMILAR TO THE PREVIOUS
ADVISORY...BUT LIES ALONG THE NORTHERN SIDE OF THE GUIDANCE AFTER
24 HOURS.

JIMENA IS FORECAST TO CONTINUE TO WEAKEN DUE TO LAND INTERACTION...
STRONG WESTERLY VERTICAL SHEAR...AND COOL WATER TO THE WEST OF THE
BAJA PENINSULA. THE CYCLONE IS EXPECTED TO BECOME A TROPICAL
DEPRESSION WITHIN 24-36 HOURS AND A REMNANT LOW SHORTLY
THEREAFTER. IT IS CERTAINLY POSSIBLE THAT JIMENA WILL WEAKEN AND
DEGENERATE INTO A REMNANT LOW SOONER THAN SHOWN BELOW.

ALTHOUGH THE WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO DECREASE...THE THREAT OF HEAVY
RAINFALL AND MUD SLIDES WILL CONTINUE OVER PORTIONS OF THE BAJA
PENINSULA DURING THE NEXT DAY OR TWO.

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INITIAL 03/0300Z 27.0N 112.3W 60 KT
12HR VT 03/1200Z 27.9N 112.8W 45 KT...INLAND
24HR VT 04/0000Z 28.1N 113.5W 35 KT...INLAND
36HR VT 04/1200Z 28.0N 114.2W 30 KT...INLAND
48HR VT 05/0000Z 27.9N 114.7W 25 KT...REMNANT LOW OVER WATER
72HR VT 06/0000Z 27.7N 115.4W 20 KT...REMNANT LOW
96HR VT 07/0000Z 27.5N 116.0W 20 KT...REMNANT LOW
120HR VT 08/0000Z...DISSIPATED

BajaNews - 9-2-2009 at 08:35 PM

ep200913_model.gif - 26kB

Hook - 9-2-2009 at 08:48 PM

Almost two hours since anyone from Mulege checked in. Gulp!!!

BTW, high winds and heavy rain over here................FINALLY!!! It has been a very dry year in the G/SC area so far.

[Edited on 9-3-2009 by Hook]

BajaNews - 9-2-2009 at 08:49 PM

A half-sunken fishing boat floats next to a broken dock after Hurricane Jimena hit Puerto San Carlos in Mexico's state of Baja California on Wednesday. (Henry Romero/Reuters)

w-sunk-ship-jimena-RTR27DK3.jpg - 35kB

woody with a view - 9-2-2009 at 08:55 PM

anyone wanna wager a ballena on which of these damn models will prove to be most accurate going forward?

i got yellow!:?:

BajaWarrior - 9-2-2009 at 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob
anyone wanna wager a ballena on which of these damn models will prove to be most accurate going forward?

i got yellow!:?:

I got white!

danaeb - 9-2-2009 at 09:03 PM

I spent the day telling friends and family that my home in La Paz is OK, but I'm afraid tomorrow will be a sad day for many.

Nomads are a very diverse lot, but when it comes to pulling together in a time of crisis there are none better. I'm constantly amazed at this community.

Thank you all.

[Edited on 9-3-2009 by danaeb]

Udo - 9-2-2009 at 09:03 PM

I'm taking blue, Woody. Case of Pacifico:?:

jimena

libby - 9-2-2009 at 09:04 PM

Anyone in Bahia de los Angeles out there? Just wondering whats up... wondering about my house! Beach Bob? Larry and Lois...what up?

BajaNews - 9-2-2009 at 09:09 PM

Children wade through a flooded street after Hurricane Jimena hit Puerto San Carlos in Mexico's state of Baja California September 2, 2009. Hurricane Jimena smashed flimsy buildings and bent trees in northwestern Mexico on Wednesday but weakened to a moderate Category 1 storm as it collided with the Baja California peninsula.
REUTERS/Henry Romero

r2276978034.jpg - 16kB

BajaNews - 9-2-2009 at 09:11 PM

A shipwrecked boat hit by Hurricane Jimena, seen in Puerto San Carlos, Baja California state, Mexico, on September 2. Jimena crashed Wednesday into Baja California, forcing thousands to seek emergency shelter as it buffeted islands off the coast with high winds and heavy rain.
(AFP/Ronaldo Schemidt)

1251938321027-12-0.jpg - 22kB

submarine_dbk - 9-2-2009 at 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Almost two hours since anyone from Mulege checked in. Gulp!!!

[Edited on 9-3-2009 by Hook]

Just heard from Chivato: water and wind everywhere, showing off Nature's violence.
Sounds like there is some significant damage around, and it is too dangerous to go out.
Just want this to be over...

BajaNews - 9-2-2009 at 09:17 PM

A fisherman looks at a half sunken shrimp boat after Hurricane Jimena hit Puerto San Carlos in Mexico's state of Baja California September 2, 2009. Hurricane Jimena smashed flimsy buildings and bent trees in northwestern Mexico on Wednesday but weakened to a moderate Category 1 storm as it collided with the Baja California peninsula.
REUTERS/Henry Romero

r2463363815.jpg - 29kB

Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9  ..  14