BajaNomad

San Diegan To Hike Baja Peninsula

Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9  ..  16

Brian L - 12-1-2010 at 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Graham

At the end of the day, Mike still has plenty of time for a little bonding and joint cultural activity with Don Kay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq19Ffl8IRk

Ass Abuse!

David K - 12-1-2010 at 12:02 PM

Fun video clip of Mike 'playing his burro' while you narrate, Graham!

BajaGringo - 12-1-2010 at 12:29 PM

Mike told me he has gone down several notches on his belt since when he first left Tecate and his strength / stamina each day was improving. The limit on how far they travel each day in this kind of terrain is mostly a factor of Don-Kay. My guess is right now Mike could easily do 20-25 miles a day if he was just walking by himself with no backpack. The lighter load on Don-Kay is obviously working.

We'll all just keep our fingers crossed that the group continues on, safe and healthy...

Barry A. - 12-1-2010 at 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo My guess is right now Mike could easily do 20-25 miles a day if he was just walking by himself with no backpack.

Hmmmmmmm, I have always wondered about these claims. "-----20-25 miles a day-----"? In my youth (16 to 25) I used to do hikes all the time with the SIERRA CLUB in the San Diego County desert and backcountry, and the max. we EVER did was 21 miles in one day, and there were about 32 serious experienced hikers on that trip and we all almost died from exhaustion. We hiked from near the little town of ANZA, down canyon along Coyote Creek to Collins Valley, mostly downhill, and we were only carrying daypacks. I cannot understand how ANYBODY other than pure athletes (or soldiers) could ever do that day after day---------I have been skeptical ever since. 20 miles is a very longggggggg hike. :O

(ok, now I will be torn apart, no doubt) :lol:

Barry

DENNIS - 12-1-2010 at 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
20 miles is a very longggggggg hike. :O

Barry

It's a long drive for me.

Skipjack Joe - 12-1-2010 at 05:39 PM

Again, my experience echos Barry's.

Every summer camp in the sierras we had one full day that was devoted to a hike. We had two camps, the girls and boys. One year the girls did a 25 mile hike that started at 8AM in August. They didn't show up at dinner. They didn't show up at dusk. We got real worried and sent out parties to look for them. And we did eventually find them dog tired making their way back with flashlights. We all pretended as though nothing out of the ordinary had happened as they entered camp in formation at what must have been 9:30PM and later to the kitchen for the dinner they had missed.

Fifteen miles a day is pushing it.

Dec. 1, 2010

David K - 12-1-2010 at 05:51 PM

Mike and company walked 11 miles today and made camp east of Punta Lobos. They are just 20 miles from Santa Rosalillita... May be there Friday afternoon... for a weekend of rest and fiesta?

mtgoat666 - 12-1-2010 at 05:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo My guess is right now Mike could easily do 20-25 miles a day if he was just walking by himself with no backpack.

Hmmmmmmm, I have always wondered about these claims. "-----20-25 miles a day-----"? In my youth (16 to 25) I used to do hikes all the time with the SIERRA CLUB in the San Diego County desert and backcountry, and the max. we EVER did was 21 miles in one day, and there were about 32 serious experienced hikers on that trip and we all almost died from exhaustion. We hiked from near the little town of ANZA, down canyon along Coyote Creek to Collins Valley, mostly downhill, and we were only carrying daypacks. I cannot understand how ANYBODY other than pure athletes (or soldiers) could ever do that day after day---------I have been skeptical ever since. 20 miles is a very longggggggg hike. :O

Barry

if you hike every day, it gets much easier. if you don't hike everyday, then a single weekend warrior hike of 15 miles can woop you your ass

i suspect that if you ask the man of the hour, mike, he will tell you he is doing the pace he wants to do

BajaGringo - 12-1-2010 at 07:11 PM

The 20-25 mile figure I gave was assuming fairly flat areas like Mike has been traveling the last week and no backpack. If you are hiking in the hills or carrying a load I would agree that would be pushing it...

tripledigitken - 12-1-2010 at 09:08 PM

In reading logs of those that hike the Pacific Crest Trail it is not unusual to average over 15 miles per day, I read of one hiker averaging 20 miles/day including off days. Not something I could do.

For Mike, I think DK (the burro;)) determines the final pace.

Skipjack Joe - 12-1-2010 at 10:21 PM

Perhaps he's picked up the pace to make up for the days lost in the Catarina area.

Pompano - 12-2-2010 at 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
In reading logs of those that hike the Pacific Crest Trail it is not unusual to average over 15 miles per day, I read of one hiker averaging 20 miles/day including off days. Not something I could do.

For Mike, I think DK (the burro;)) determines the final pace.

Back in the day, mi compadre and I hiked from Mulege to the Pacific side a couple times in 4-5 days..a meandering distance of about 85 miles. Piece of cake for youngsters like us then...not so easy today, I am afraid. Even walking along the roadway.

wilderone - 12-2-2010 at 10:03 AM

If he's on fairly flat terrain and not wasting time doubling back to find his way, he can do 2 mph, which is a rule-of-thumb for backpacking. So getting started at 9 am, and setting up camp before dusk at 5:00 pm, gives him 8 hours. A couple rest breaks, and you have a standard day. Mike said that for his first days of this trek, he felt like he was doing Navy SEAL training - it was so strenuous for him. But he's lost weight en route, and his daily mileage makes him stronger, assuming he's getting enough food, water and sleep. And Mike is carrying a backpack, with lots of heavy stuff in it. It amazed me when he'd pull out a 3 lb. flashlight . . .

mtgoat666 - 12-2-2010 at 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
It amazed me when he'd pull out a 3 lb. flashlight . . .

he needs to ditch that heavy light and get LED headlamp, and LED hand light.

i love how nomads are all armchair packers, opining on muleskinning, optimal mileage for 62 year old muleskinners, flashlights, communication, etc.

i am waiting for the peanut gallery to tell him he needs to get a Kindle :lol:

DENNIS - 12-2-2010 at 10:52 AM

He needs to get a Kindle.

mtgoat666 - 12-2-2010 at 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
He needs to get a Kindle.

which version? wifi, 3g or DX?

DENNIS - 12-2-2010 at 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
which version? wifi, 3g or DX?

The biggest, heaviest model with a bag of extra batterys the size of Sears Die-Hards.

Brian L - 12-2-2010 at 11:52 AM

How will he upload books to his Kindle? Is there a satellite link?

Will he read stories to DonKay? Is that considered abuse if it is a story the donkey wants?

tripledigitken - 12-2-2010 at 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by blane

Will he read stories to DonKay? Is that considered abuse if it is a story the donkey wants?

Goat will loan him his smart phone.

:lol::lol::lol:

mtgoat666 - 12-2-2010 at 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by blane

kindle holds up to 3,000 books, so only needs dowload once.

don-kay needs an iPad so he can watch mr ed movies.

solo has no time for frivilous reading annd movie watching, needs to stay on guard duty at night

Barry A. - 12-2-2010 at 02:19 PM

Quote:

i love how nomads are all armchair packers, opining on muleskinning, optimal mileage for 62 year old muleskinners, flashlights, communication, etc.

-------the only reason we do this, Goat, is to please you because we know you "love" it so much. This is proof that we LOVE you, Goat, and are ALWAYS looking out for you. :lol:

Barry

DENNIS - 12-2-2010 at 02:25 PM

Quote:
-------the only reason we do this, Goat, is to please you because we know you "love" it so much. This is proof that we LOVE you, Goat, and are ALWAYS looking out for you. :lol:

Barry

Yeah, Goat. I'm constantly looking out for you....riding a bicycle down HWY-1.
THUMP THUMP :lol::lol::lol:

Jes kiddin', Goat. This place wouldn't be the same without you. :saint:

Dec. 2, 2010

David K - 12-2-2010 at 06:51 PM

Today Mike, Don-Kay and Solo walked 13 miles and will easily be in Santa Rosalillita tomorrow!

Looking south:

Dec. 3, 2010: Arrive at Santa Rosalillita

David K - 12-3-2010 at 06:22 PM

Mike and company walked an estimated 7 miles from their last camp to Santa Rosalillita. I hope they all take a much needed rest, enjoy some good food and get energy for the next leg south!

Perhaps we will hear from Mike?

David K - 12-4-2010 at 08:51 AM

Mike, if you are reading this (or when you are)...

Please send out the SPOT signal once a day, even if you are in the same place... Otherwise, we won't know if you have moved on or not... Because if we fail to get a signal, it would be a cause for concern and help could be dispatched. But, if you are just resting at the same spot the signal would confirm that!

Thanks and I hope the journey continues to be one of fun and adventure for you!

toneart - 12-4-2010 at 11:30 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
It amazed me when he'd pull out a 3 lb. flashlight . . .

he needs to ditch that heavy light and get LED headlamp, and LED hand light.

i am waiting for the peanut gallery to tell him he needs to get a Kindle :lol:

He and DonKay could eat peanuts while reading the Kindle, just like me and my burro. And me and my burro can do that while in my armchair.
:P:lol:

DENNIS - 12-4-2010 at 12:34 PM

Quote:
Oh oh, Woody's "new leaf" ways seem to be slipping back into the "old ways" a little. :lol:

Barry

Awww, what the hey....everybody needs a hobby. :lol::lol:

woody with a view - 12-4-2010 at 01:50 PM

WTF?

DEC. 4, 2010

David K - 12-4-2010 at 05:53 PM

Thank you Mike for sending the signal and letting your amigos here know you are enjoying a day of rest at Santa Rosalillita! (How's the lobster?):light:

woody with a view - 12-4-2010 at 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
WTF?

seems like the history books are being re-writ. the censors are working overtime! oh well, i guess i could create an account at http://www.talkbaja.com and read, word for word, what i read here.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

BajaNomad - 12-5-2010 at 02:14 AM

:saint:

RichBaja - 12-5-2010 at 07:27 AM

Quote:
Quote:
WTF?

seems like the history books are being re-writ. the censors are working overtime! oh well, i guess i could create an account at http://www.talkbaja.com and read, word for word, what i read here.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Surely someone would miss you Woodrow. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Congrats to Mike on Making Great Progress!

somomule - 12-5-2010 at 01:17 PM

Congrats to Mike on making such great progress from Southern Missouri Mule-Outfitter & Equine Supply.

We now have Mike featured on our multimedia page where you can track Mike, Don-kay & Solos progress at:

http://www.somomule.com/multimedia_videos.html

SoMoMule.com is the proud supplier of Don-kays Pack Equipment. See it at: http://www.somomule.com/donkeysizepackgear.html

The crew at SoMoMule thanks Mike for showing us all anything is possible!

DEC. 5, 2010

David K - 12-5-2010 at 06:22 PM

On the road agian!

Mike and company have walked an estimated 10 miles to Punta Rosarito...

SPOT DEVICE MAP: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=...

[Edited on 12-6-2010 by David K]

BajaBlanca - 12-5-2010 at 06:36 PM

my gosh he is moving fast !!

@ Southern Missouri Mule-Outfitter & Equine Supply - glad you found us at Baja Nomad and WELCOME !!!

so fantastic that you sponsored Don Kay's packing equipment !!!

David K - 12-5-2010 at 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by somomule
Congrats to Mike on making such great progress from Southern Missouri Mule-Outfitter & Equine Supply.

We now have Mike featured on our multimedia page where you can track Mike, Don-kay & Solos progress at:

SoMoMule.com is the proud supplier of Don-kays Pack Equipment. See it at: http://www.somomule.com/donkeysizepackgear.html

Welcome to Baja Nomad!

Didn't know there was a SPOT link for Mike's SPOT device location... Maybe I don't need to manually load the GPS onto Google Earth any more?

Because Mike only sends on signal a day, that map only shows straight lines between days and not the actual route of travel. Today that map shows they walked on water to Punta Rosarito!

Do you know why the map starts on Nov. 29th and not Oct. 1st?

Thanks again!

SPOT MAP for Mike: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=...

Graham - 12-5-2010 at 08:41 PM

Good to see Mike moving steadily on after a good rest. As part of the preparation he put into this trip, he sure acquired some great equipment.

It took me much longer to load my burro, Mision, every day, and the load was never as secure as Mike’s pack on Don Kay.

A few pictures of some of the gear that Mike bought from Southern Missouri Mule Outfitters, and the stages in packing, taken early on when he still had Max and Rusty.

David K - 12-5-2010 at 09:32 PM

Way cool Graham... thanks!

Pack Equipment Info

somomule - 12-5-2010 at 10:14 PM

Thanks for the great pictures of our Gear Graham.

I thought I would let folks interested know a bit more about it.

The pack saddle is a "Donkey Decker with 18" Bars made out of Cottonwood. The hoops on top are cold rolled steel and know as new style or modified hoops. The are squatty and have an indent for the Solid Brass Decker Hooks to hang the Panniers from.

Mikes Donkey Decker also came with a Half-Breed Pad (Standard with all our Decker Pack Saddles) that goes over the top of the pack saddle once it is on. The half breed has pine wood bars along the bottom outside edge that keep the panniers and items inside from poking the animal sides. In the picture Mike is putting them on upside out. It was probably just an oversight.

The panniers are made out of 1000 Deniers Nylon also know as Cordura. (TM). The panniers have heavy duty zippers and extra tie rings on top for the top H-Pack. The panniers are also reinforced with webbing on the corners and stress points.

The H- Top Pack is also 1,000 Deniers Nylon, Cordura. (TM) with a top zipper. The H- Pack is designed to sit between the hoops or bucks on a pack saddle.

Mike also has a pack scale to weigh his panniers to get an even load and several styles of hobbles for securing Don-Kay at camp.

Mike has improvised, adapted and overcome many of his packing trials and tribulations. Good Job Mike!

Donkey packing is both a challenge and great accomplishment with rewards to numerous to to list. Our hats are off to you and Mike for your courage and spirit to undertake such adventures! "Bravo Zulu" (Job Well Done)

If folks would like more pictures of various Donkey gear we offer and more pictures of the specific gear Mike purchased we would be happy to post them.

Best Regards,
Ken
Southern Missouri Mule- Outfitter & Equine Supply
www.SoMoMule.com

Quote:
Good to see Mike moving steadily on after a good rest. As part of the preparation he put into this trip, he sure acquired some great equipment.

It took me much longer to load my burro, Mision, every day, and the load was never as secure as Mike’s pack on Don Kay.

A few pictures of some of the gear that Mike bought from Southern Missouri Mule Outfitters, and the stages in packing, taken early on when he still had Max and Rusty.

somomule - 12-5-2010 at 10:20 PM

Hi David,

Mike gave us the Spot Link to track him when he was preparing to leave so we thought we would share it with everyone. Not sure about the particulars or walking on water depictions it seems to display. Guess it's good to have one more resource for Mikes locations though.
Ken
SoMoMule.com

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:

Welcome to Baja Nomad!

Didn't know there was a SPOT link for Mike's SPOT device location... Maybe I don't need to manually load the GPS onto Google Earth any more?

Because Mike only sends on signal a day, that map only shows straight lines between days and not the actual route of travel. Today that map shows they walked on water to Punta Rosarito!

Do you know why the map starts on Nov. 29th and not Oct. 1st?

Thanks again!

SPOT MAP for Mike: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=...

David K - 12-5-2010 at 10:32 PM

Yes, sure is... I might want to get out of town over the holiday and with that link you guys on Nomad can still see where his camp is each night!

Thanks again Ken!

somomule - 12-5-2010 at 10:41 PM

Your Most welcome,

Glad we found you guys and Mike on this site. Graham helped us out and told us about it/ all of you great folks!
Ken
SoMoMule.com

Quote:
Yes, sure is... I might want to get out of town over the holiday and with that link you guys on Nomad can still see where his camp is each night!

Thanks again Ken!

somomule - 12-5-2010 at 10:46 PM

Thank you we are happy to be part of this great site and community of fine folks. We don't want to be misleading, Mike purchased from us. We did spend time trying to be as helpful as possible and answer as many questions as possible and help him with his product choices.

Thank You,
Ken
SoMoMule.com

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
my gosh he is moving fast !!

@ Southern Missouri Mule-Outfitter & Equine Supply - glad you found us at Baja Nomad and WELCOME !!!

so fantastic that you sponsored Don Kay's packing equipment !!!

BajaNomad - 12-6-2010 at 02:35 AM

Quote:
Mikes Donkey Decker also came with a Half-Breed Pad... In the picture Mike is putting them on upside out. It was probably just an oversight.

uh oh...

[Edited on 12-6-2010 by BajaNomad]

Graham - 12-6-2010 at 11:09 AM

Mike may have been distracted packing that morning as I was asking all kinds of questions about his equipment and even making a video... SEE LINK BELOW... while the poor guy was trying to feed and water and keep an eye on his burro and three dogs while also loading Don Kay.

You can clearly see the difference in the sides of the pad in the video... with the slats on just one side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_MPojVRQHY

Anyway, that was early on in his trip and he might have learned to turn the pad around. He was pretty good at inspecting the burro and pack saddle and certainly will have noticed if the Half-Breed pad was causing any problems.

Otherwise, as he approaches Guerrero Negro area and highway One I'm sure some kind passing Nomad will be able to tell him that we have it on good authority that his pad is upside down.

somomule - 12-6-2010 at 11:26 AM

No worries, the half breed will work either way just wanted to be helpful. Thanks for the video link I just added it to SoMoMule.com's Watch Videos page and our Somomule OutfitterSupply Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/somomule

Thank You,
Ken
SoMoMule.com

[Edited on 12-6-2010 by somomule]

[Edited on 12-6-2010 by somomule]

Neal Johns - 12-6-2010 at 05:00 PM

Hey, Ken,
I went to grammar school iin Willow Springs!
Fellow Hillbilly:biggrin::biggrin:

somomule - 12-6-2010 at 05:07 PM

Yessir,

We have a language all our own over here. Nice to see cya!

Ken
SoMoMule.com

Quote:
Originally posted by Neal Johns
Hey, Ken,
I went to grammar school iin Willow Springs!
Fellow Hillbilly:biggrin::biggrin:

Pac'n Fun How to Video's

somomule - 12-6-2010 at 06:39 PM

I thought you'all might like to see some fun "How to Videos". I have more but thought I'd post this one and you can let me know if you want more?

Hm...just checked, does not look like it posted?

Thanks Ken
SoMoMule.com

[Edited on 12-7-2010 by somomule]

DEC. 6, 2010

David K - 12-6-2010 at 06:59 PM

Mike sent the signal out before noon today from a location about 1,000 feet north from yesterdays!? Maybe he is just enjoying the sea view from the tip of Punta Rosarito so much, he is spending a second night there...

See Dec. 5 and Dec. 6 SPOT locations on the Google Earth image:

The 'Rosarito' on the image is Arroyo Rosarito, not the town in this close up view.

[Edited on 12-7-2010 by David K]

tripledigitken - 12-6-2010 at 07:03 PM

Don't anyone get their panties in a twist,............but..............

That looks like a nice surfing spot!!!:yes:;):saint:

somomule - 12-6-2010 at 07:30 PM

Looks like a nice right brake with a tube to the north!

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Don't anyone get their panties in a twist,............but..............

That looks like a nice surfing spot!!!:yes:;):saint:

somomule - 12-6-2010 at 07:33 PM

How are you receiving the those signals from Mike?

Thanks,
Ken
SoMoMule.com

Quote:
Mike sent the signal out before noon today from a location about 1,000 feet north from yesterdays!? Maybe he is just enjoying the sea view from the tip of Punta Rosarito so much, he is spending a second night there...

See Dec. 5 and Dec. 6 SPOT locations on the Google Earth image:

The 'Rosarito' on the image is Arroyo Rosarito, not the town in this close up view.

David K - 12-6-2010 at 11:16 PM

Good evening somomule!

I get the GPS SPOT emailed to me. Mike set it up so that Graham, Shari and I get the email notifications... as well as a couple others like his daughter, etc. That email has a link to a Google Maps look down view.

What I do is then take that GPS and load it into my Google Earth program, change the GPS crosshair to the hiking man icon with the date. Then, depending on the location I may do a 3-D side view instead of just a looking straight down view (as the Google Maps give).

Then I plot that location on the popular automobile club Baja road map (2007 edition) and highlight the roads or estimated route he walked and the etimated miles walked.

I have been doing this since the beginning of his journey on Oct. 1... Just scroll back up this thread to see all the maps and images I posted.

As for where he is right now, Punta Rosarito... known as 'The Wall' as there is quite an intersting rock wall that campers have been building there for wind protection. The coastline of the bay to the north is a wide flat sand beach with a wall like berm of gravel, shells and driftwood at the storm-high tide point. The dirt road from Santa Rosalillita runs along that and that berm is so tall it blocks the ocean view... like a wall.

somomule - 12-7-2010 at 06:41 AM

Very interesting. Great stuff. Glad you are doing that. Techology can be wonderful. II never stop learning more new things.

I want to keep my SoMoMule OutfitterSupply Facebook crowd up to date on Mike's trekk and of course I want to as well.

I am starting to see our facebook page watching his progress now. He's getting quite the following and I'm be asked "Hows Mike Doing", which is great.

You all are doing a terrific job in your posts and support! Thank You.

Ken
SoMoMule.com

Quote:
Good evening somomule!

I get the GPS SPOT emailed to me. Mike set it up so that Graham, Shari and I get the email notifications... as well as a couple others like his daughter, etc. That email has a link to a Google Maps look down view.

What I do is then take that GPS and load it into my Google Earth program, change the GPS crosshair to the hiking man icon with the date. Then, depending on the location I may do a 3-D side view instead of just a looking straight down view (as the Google Maps give).

Then I plot that location on the popular automobil club Baja road map (2007 edition) and highlight the roads or estimated rout he walked and the etimated miles walked.

I have been doing this since the beginning of his journey on Oct. 1... Just scroll back up this thread to see all the maps and images I posted.

As for where he is right now, Punta Rosarito... known as 'The Wall' as there is quite an intersting rock wall that campers have been building there for wind protection. The coastline of the bay to the north is a wide flat sand beach with a wall like berm of gravel, shells and driftwood at the storm-high tide point. The dirt road from Santa Rosalillita runs along that and that berm is so tall it blocks the ocean view... like a wall.

David K - 12-7-2010 at 08:18 AM

Happy to do something that others enjoy seeing... I only wish it was me on a Baja adventure instead of behind a keyboard!

To add to the process described above, I forgot to mention that the satellite image is saved to my PC, and the map I made is scanned and saved to my PC, then uploaded to Photobucket.com at the rduced size to fit on Nomad's 15" monitor size requested limit.... Then I copy and paste those image urls here on Nomad. The entire process takes me 30-60 minutes every night.

somomule - 12-7-2010 at 08:24 AM

Quote:
Happy to do something that others enjoy seeing... I only wish it was me on a Baja adventure instead of behind a keyboard!

To add to the process described above, I forgot to mention that the satellite image is saved to my PC, and the map I made is scanned and saved to my PC, then uploaded to Photobucket.com at the rduced size to fit on Nomad's 15" monitor size requested limit.... Then I copy and paste those image urls here on Nomad. The entire process takes me 30-60 minutes every night.

Love the dedication! I'm my own webmaster on SoMoMule.com but still behind the curve on many things. It just gets better learning more, never ending!

Dec. 7, 2010

David K - 12-7-2010 at 06:56 PM

Mike and company walked an estimated 12 miles today and have made camp just off Hwy. 1 on a road that goes to El Tomatal... :O http://vivabaja.com/et

thanks DK

skipowell - 12-7-2010 at 09:38 PM

I had know idea that you were spending that much time everyday day keeping this post current. I just wanted to let you know how much I have been enjoying reading about Mike's progress.

Thanks!!!!
If I ever meet you I will be buying you a beer!
Lori

somomule - 12-7-2010 at 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by skipowell
I had know idea that you were spending that much time everyday day keeping this post current. I just wanted to let you know how much I have been enjoying reading about Mike's progress.

Thanks!!!!
If I ever meet you I will be buying you a beer!
Lori

Me too!
Thanks for your hard work!

Graham - 12-8-2010 at 12:50 AM

And David, I sure appreciate all your great work and time on this thread and on Nomad in general. You make it so easy to follow Mike's progress.

And it's great to see him steadily moving along. Thanks to his burro gear he's no doubt having a better packing experience that I did.

On my journey to Loreto the load on the donkey's back was secured with string, duct tape, and bungees. Time consuming.

No wonder Mision occasionally flopped down in protest.

Or let the load slide under his belly

And complained to the authorities

But hey, we got there in the end... ignorance is bliss!

Thanks Graham

somomule - 12-8-2010 at 05:39 AM

Graham thanks for the terrific photos you have posted of Mike and your trip. They are beyond cool!!!!!

I think my Otis & Your Mission may be relatives?

longlegsinlapaz - 12-8-2010 at 07:06 AM

Graham, I can see where Mission had cause to register a complaint with the authorities....pic #2 gives the distinct impression that you also made him balance a jug of water on top of his head! :lol: :lol:

The expression on his face in pic #3 pretty much sums up his thoughts on his gringo's abilities to secure the load....bungee cords & duct tape indeed! :rolleyes: :no:

Graham

bajaguy - 12-8-2010 at 07:35 AM

Where was photo #1 taken????? Did you see any Trout??

David K - 12-8-2010 at 08:35 AM

Great recap of your second book with those photos Graham!

I love Baja as much as all of you, and love maps too... so keeping track of Mike on maps is fun and I am happy to contribute to Baja Nomad!

somomule - 12-8-2010 at 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by longlegsinlapaz
Graham, I can see where Mission had cause to register a complaint with the authorities....pic #2 gives the distinct impression that you also made him balance a jug of water on top of his head! :lol: :lol:

The expression on his face in pic #3 pretty much sums up his thoughts on his gringo's abilities to secure the load....bungee cords & duct tape indeed! :rolleyes: :no:

Looks like the jug is on the ground to me, but only Graham knows for sure.

Graham - 12-8-2010 at 10:56 AM

Photo #1 taken on the NW side of the Sierra Juarez. No trout seen there but I did see them in Rio San Antonio and other rivers of the Sierra San Pedro Martir, until a series of El Nino winter storms turned them into boiling, rock-rolling cascades. Amazed I ever got my burro out of there... went ten days without seeing anyone.

I'm sure Mision has a lot of relatives. He was good at producing them. He left a string of little Misions as he bred his way down the Baja. It was quite a shock for a city boy like myself to have to witness that and take lots of photos.

The jug on his head might have contained beer! It was generally what was on my mind after Tecate agreed to sponsor and supply beer for the trip.

And things weren't quite as bad as it looked... the bungees, string and duct tape were usually for repairs and for holding everything together. Hey, in Mexico you learn to improvise.

Heavens, by the time I got to the Head and Mother of the Missions of Lower and Upper California, parts of me were being held in place with string and duct tape.

Last I heard Mision was still in glorious retirement near La Purisima, no doubt waiting for his old buddy to return and take him on another 1000 mile burrito-making adventure.

David K - 12-8-2010 at 11:04 AM

Good to hear Mision is still alive and kicking... I was affraid we would lose the information on him after Jim Dandy passed on.

Photo of Misión at La Purisima in 2002, from Neal Johns:

BajaGringo - 12-8-2010 at 02:19 PM

Quote:
Last I heard Mision was still in glorious retirement near La Purisima, no doubt waiting for his old buddy to return and take him on another 1000 mile burrito-making adventure.

Graham, are you considering another trip???

Dec. 8, 2010

David K - 12-8-2010 at 08:00 PM

Mike and company traveled approx. 10 miles today and are camping along an old dirt road at the base of the dune field... about 4 miles north-west of Villa Jesus Maria.

View northwest...

New map (larger are than previous, so the distances traveled by Mike are looking smaller, but are not):

BajaBlanca - 12-8-2010 at 08:12 PM

are there any people where Mike is now traveling or is he totally on his own? Shari - did he ever meet up with the niece of the uncle of the brother in santa rosalillita ?

Graham - 12-9-2010 at 12:32 AM

It's a long way off, and a lot could happen, but when Mike gets to Cabo he'll need to return to Max and Rusty and find a good home for Solo. He asked me if I'd consider taking her. She's the sweetest most loyal companion you can imagine, mellow and magnificent with burros, people and cats, smart and very desert wise.

I'd give her a home in a heartbeat but I'm sure someone along the way or at journey's end will fall in love with her.

Or maybe Mike will change his mind...

Bob H - 12-9-2010 at 12:42 AM

Wow, this is good stuff!!!

Gulwinky - 12-9-2010 at 12:45 AM

to even HINT that Mike is cruel to animals shows absolutly NO knowledge of the man himself... reading thru these threads you only get a glimpse of him... *I* have known him for well over 10 years and he would NEVER treat an animal in anyway but 'nice' ...now big black hairy spiders just MAY be a different story, but... LOL anyhow, I finally registured here after reading over 26 or so pages of this journey... We (my other half) and I kinda lost track of Mike over the last couple years and I was quite surprized when I googled him and came up with this 'trip'... thinkin back it DOES sound TOTALLY MIKE tho, and to also HINT that he issn't prepaired for this journey also shows that one does NOT know the man... He (as has been said in newspaper articles and even here) has spent many weeks prior to takin off on this journey hiding some stuff in stash spots, and prolly gathering more info on "what to expect" than any baja racer or support person that decided to 'head south of the border' to help out in some off the road in the middle of nowhere place/pit ;)

anyhow, koodoz to Mike for having a dream and goin about doing it in a responsible way, and I hope he makes it without any 'more' problems than he has already encountered... WAY WAY WAY to many people just dream and do NOTHING about achieving their 'dreams'...

Alex Mikhael

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
150 lbs. was always the limit on pack animals in the Sierra Nevada, when we utilized them (frequently). These were a combination of donkeys, burros and pack horses.

But, of course, they didnt need to carry their own water. There were streams aplenty.

If that animal dies or is injured permanently, PETA is gonna have a new poster boy.

Anyway, after he reads all this, he'll realize (as so many of us have) that the publicity of the Nomads board can be a two-edged sword.

added... I really hope he keeps Solo, I KNOW Mike is a 'smaller doggie person' at heart, but to spend soo much time and get soo close to a doggie, that doggie chose HIM so personally, I KNOW he needs to keep Solo ;)

[Edited on 12-9-2010 by Gulwinky]

Paulina - 12-9-2010 at 08:04 AM

Gulwinky Alex, welcome to the Nomad board!

P<*)))>{

shari - 12-9-2010 at 08:12 AM

thanks for that Gulwinky...nice to have more insight into Mike's character and also nice to have a new member to Nomadlandia...it will be nice for you to hook up with your amigo when he returns stateside.

Yes, I think Martin got some hay arranged for DonKay in Rosalillita but not sure he stayed with them. We might try to go see him when he gets closer to GN.

somomule - 12-9-2010 at 09:05 AM

I just wanted to attest to Mike's Kindness to his animals. While I have never met Mike personally I did spend many days on the phone with him when he purchased his pack gear from us and was preparing to make his trip.

Mike was always concerned about comfort for Don'Kay on his trip. He purchased nothing less than top of the line pack gear from us. He could have chosen a less expensive pack pad but insisted on the best.

Mike also upgraded his cinch to a comfortable breathable neoprene cinch. The change was a good one and we are sure Don-Kay appreciated that!

Mike did not cut corners. He knew his trip would be long and arduous. He talked about insuring he and Don-Kay had ample water and how he was planning to do that.

He spoke with Graham I am sure many time. Graham is the " man in the know" he has been there done that. We are sure Graham's experience and kindness in helping mike has gone a long way. Thanks for all you have done and do Graham!

MIke asked me many questions and I provided as much assistance as I could. In the end Mike made all the right choices to insure safety and kindness for his animals.

We believe Mike to be a genuine kind Man with courage and tenacity that can only be admired and envied!

Ken
Southern Missouri Mule -Outfitter & Equine Supply.

DENNIS - 12-9-2010 at 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gulwinky
.. I really hope he keeps Solo,

The bonding process knows no bounds. He won't be able to part company with this dog. It would be like giving away a sibling....one that you liked, of course. :)

Diver - 12-9-2010 at 09:50 AM

Just remembering how nice Shirley McClain looked riding her burro in High Plains Drifter with Clint.
I'm sure she was under 150 lbs !! :biggrin:

Natalie Ann - 12-9-2010 at 10:08 AM

Diver... You sure that movie was not 'Two Mules for Sister Sara'?

nena

TMW - 12-9-2010 at 10:39 AM

Some good fishing at Laguna Manuela. I wonder if Don Kay likes fish? I know Solo does.

TMW - 12-9-2010 at 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gulwinky
to even HINT that Mike is cruel to animals shows absolutly NO knowledge of the man himself... reading thru these threads you only get a glimpse of him... *I* have known him for well over 10 years and he would NEVER treat an animal in anyway but 'nice' ...now big black hairy spiders just MAY be a different story, but... LOL
Quote:
[[Edited on 12-9-2010 by Gulwinky]

Anyone that knows of Graham abd his ventures into Baja and the fact he was helping Mike should have layed to rest any concern of how Mike would treat an animal.

Bob H - 12-9-2010 at 10:51 AM

Quote:
We believe Mike to be a genuine kind Man with courage and tenacity that can only be admired and envied!

Ken
Southern Missouri Mule -Outfitter & Equine Supply.

Now THAT says it all, right there!

Diver - 12-9-2010 at 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Natalie Ann

nena

Yes you're right.
But I'm still old enough to think Shirley was hot !! :biggrin: :lol:
And a pretty cute burro too if I remember correctly. ;D

Diver - 12-9-2010 at 03:35 PM

Why doesth y'all protest so much ?? :?:
Lots of opinions stated; some informed and some clueless but commenting anyway.

In any case; huge thanks to DK for continuing to report on Mike's trip.

sanquintinsince73 - 12-9-2010 at 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
Quote:
Originally posted by Natalie Ann

nena

Yes you're right.
But I'm still old enough to think Shirley was hot !! :biggrin: :lol:
And a pretty cute burro too if I remember correctly. ;D

She's still hot. Brother Warren is the one who looks like he went 2 rounds with Julio Cesar.

Dec. 9, 2010

David K - 12-9-2010 at 05:04 PM

Mike, Don-Kay and Solo walked about 6 miles today and are camping on the shore of Laguna Manuela.

(thanks to Diver for his words, above)

Dec. 10, 2010

David K - 12-10-2010 at 05:58 PM

Mike and the gang walked about 12 miles today and are now just 4 miles from the state border/ Eagle Monument!

A look south:

So what do you all think... does he go through the ag station and get the bottom of the burro sprayed... or that other way into town? :lol::light:

Barry A. - 12-10-2010 at 06:02 PM

Wow!!!! Look at those sand dunes in picture #2 --------I never knew those were there!! That is neat.

Barry

[Edited on 12-11-2010 by Barry A.]

BajaBlanca - 12-10-2010 at 06:07 PM

close to Baja California Sur now .....

David K - 12-10-2010 at 06:29 PM

Quote:
Wow!!!! Look at those sand dunes in picture #2 --------I never knew those were there!! That is neat.

Barry

[Edited on 12-11-2010 by Barry A.]

Barry (and others), go to pages 33-34 of Jim Hunter's 1977 'Offbeat Baja' guidebook and see/ read about the 'Sarafan Sand Dunes'... 2.4 miles north of Eagle Monument go west... keep right at each fork and T intersection. 2 miles from Hwy. 1 arrive.

Barry A. - 12-10-2010 at 06:30 PM

Ah Ha---------I have that book. I will check it out right now.

Thanks, David.

RichBaja - 12-10-2010 at 06:48 PM

Graham how many rattle snakes did you encounter on your trek? Has anyone asked Mike if he has ran into many of them?

David K - 12-11-2010 at 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RichBaja
Graham how many rattle snakes did you encounter on your trek? Has anyone asked Mike if he has ran into many of them?

Read about his first book, and I recommend you get the book to start: http://bajadetour.books.officelive.com/iadp.aspx

Bob H - 12-11-2010 at 09:56 AM

I wonder, how does Mike bathe and keep clean clothes, etc. in such remote areas? Lots of questions cross my mind. I'm also sure he is having one way conversations with Don Kay and Solo!

What an amazing story developing here.

Graham - 12-11-2010 at 10:29 AM

I just heard from Mike's daughter Tammy. She spoke to him yesterday on his cell phone. Said he's doing great and all's well with him and Don Kay. Only thing - Mike is sure missing Max and Rusty. And he would just love to have them back on the trail with him. I may have to run them down for a visit!

A chance Mike hasn't seen a rattlesnake so far. That might change as the weeks fly by and he gets further south in Baja Sur.

And a gallon of sun-warmed water can sure make a nice refreshing Baja shower. There's probably water for washing clothes in some of the campos.

Maybe he can get to a laundromat in Gro Negro. Looks like he might cross into Baja Sur today. What a milestone for the old Navy guy.

David K - 12-11-2010 at 05:07 PM

Mike is in Guerrero Negro, on the main street, just west of Mex. 1... perhaps at the Malarrimo Motel? Anyway... I will post maps and images later tonight...

shari - 12-11-2010 at 05:09 PM

so Mike might check his mail and posts tonight then....please give me a call MIke!

BajaNomad - 12-11-2010 at 05:25 PM

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=...

Dec. 11, 2010

David K - 12-12-2010 at 12:25 AM

Mike, Don-Kay and Solo walked about 6 miles and crossed into Baja California Sur, Mountain Time Zone, and more adventures to soon come their way!

Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9  ..  16