BajaNomad

What Is West Baja walk

Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9

BajaGeoff - 4-16-2013 at 10:37 AM

Sorry for the gigante photos....I didn't realize they were that big!

motoged - 4-16-2013 at 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
....they should wear leashes, wear a flotation device on rough days, and should carry an extra paddle,...also, don't forget sun screen!

p.s. kite might be nice for low-moderate downwind days

Goat,
I agree....but idealism wins over practicality at times.

Good luck. guys.....

mcfez - 4-16-2013 at 12:06 PM

If you wish...mail them to me at produce@thenatomasfarm.com and I will fix em' for you..........

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGeoff
Sorry for the gigante photos....I didn't realize they were that big!

chuckie - 4-16-2013 at 01:39 PM

The chap who went with them on the other SUP seemd to know what he was doing..But I dont believe they had PFDs, and altho they were supposed to get a new SPOT, dont think it arrived..rougher than a cob out there today...

EnsenadaDr - 4-16-2013 at 01:55 PM

McFez, you have a heart...is there anyway you can paddle close to the coast and not hit the rough seas on a paddleboard?

Ateo - 4-16-2013 at 02:05 PM

Maybe I'm ignorant about something here, but people SUP the pacific side all the time. There are actual waves over there. I know there is windswell generated on the SOC but nothing that is gonna harm an experienced SUPer.

Wind and waves come up???? Paddle to shore and make camp. Big deal. I don't think the guys are gonna be 10 miles from shore. I'm guessing they'll be hugging shore for the most part.

Have fun guys!!!!

EnsenadaDr - 4-16-2013 at 02:15 PM

Yes, Ateo I was surprised by the couple that kayaked off shore by San Felipe and the husband found dead. Why didn't they do what you suggest and paddle to shore when the water got too rough?
Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
Maybe I'm ignorant about something here, but people SUP the pacific side all the time. There are actual waves over there. I know there is windswell generated on the SOC but nothing that is gonna harm an experienced SUPer.

Wind and waves come up???? Paddle to shore and make camp. Big deal. I don't think the guys are gonna be 10 miles from shore. I'm guessing they'll be hugging shore for the most part.

Have fun guys!!!!

motoged - 4-16-2013 at 02:41 PM

So many things can happen out on the water. Sudden winds, a tip over due to whatever, arrogant adventure attitudes, inexperience, etc.

Some parts of the coastline on SoC are cliffs for long stretches that do not allow landings.....

No PFD's is perhaps a sign of inexperienced paddlers with some of the above-noted characteristics....but these guys seem to survive despite their "preparation"....the good folks of Baja come to the rescue.:saint:

mtgoat666 - 4-16-2013 at 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Yes, Ateo I was surprised by the couple that kayaked off shore by San Felipe and the husband found dead. Why didn't they do what you suggest and paddle to shore when the water got too rough?

re your comment: chit happens! (sometimes the water gets rough faster than you can get out of it, people sometimes paddle further than their abilities,...)

the "dudes" can SUP in waves and wind,... but don't know why they chose SUP, other than it is the current trendy watercraft, and kids are prone to follow trends -- personally, i find that SUPs are fun for short periods and playing around - but kayaks are more practical and relaxing for distance paddling and exploration,... but, hey, whatever floats your boat!

ya know, if they really wanted to adventure in style, they would sail a small dinghy or daysailer that can be easily beached,... and they could sail all the way back to San Diego... or circumnavigate baja, or sail entire coast of mexico,... baja has no shortage of wind. but seems they chose SUP, so be it!

DENNIS - 4-16-2013 at 02:52 PM

They should have opted for a couple of these. They would look good in the Nat Geo special:

http://www.itbikes.com/gallery/

Cypress - 4-16-2013 at 03:07 PM

The area from Mulege north to Chivato along the coast is good.:D A good walk.;D

mcfez - 4-16-2013 at 03:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:

re your comment: chit happens! (sometimes the water gets rough faster than you can get out of it, people sometimes paddle further than their abilities,...)

the "dudes" can SUP in waves and wind,... but don't know why they chose SUP, other than it is the current trendy watercraft, and kids are prone to follow trends -- personally, i find that SUPs are fun for short periods and playing around - but kayaks are more practical and relaxing for distance paddling and exploration,... but, hey, whatever floats your boat!

ya know, if they really wanted to adventure in style, they would sail a small dinghy or daysailer that can be easily beached,... and they could sail all the way back to San Diego... or circumnavigate baja, or sail entire coast of mexico,... baja has no shortage of wind. but seems they chose SUP, so be it!

Baja Doc.......believe me.....that Sea of Cortez currents can drag an elephant out to sea. One can be as short of two hundred feet from the shore and find big trouble. To swim back is really not an option I would try. Been there.

I do hope that the guys studied a little about the tidal movement on the Cortez.....it aint like Newport beach.

Cypress - 4-16-2013 at 03:44 PM

Since the first of the year 10+ people have lost their lives being swept out to sea etc. on Kauai. How many have been lost along the Sea of Cortez?:?:

motoged - 4-16-2013 at 05:07 PM

Many more people on the shores of Kauai than SoC, I would guess for starters. Wave action on K. is much different, especially on north and western beaches (I almost drowned body surfing at Barking Sands in 1974... )....and it's usually the waves that catch the folks....just like at Cabo SL.

Not a fair comparison :saint:

[Edited on 4-17-2013 by motoged]

EnsenadaDr - 4-16-2013 at 05:11 PM

Thanks McFez, well that's how DENNIS ended up at Lomas Del Mar...thank God he had that water bike he was pushing a few posts ago...
Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
Quote:
Quote:

Baja Doc.......believe me.....that Sea of Cortez currents can drag an elephant out to sea. One can be as short of two hundred feet from the shore and find big trouble. To swim back is really not an option I would try. Been there.

I do hope that the guys studied a little about the tidal movement on the Cortez.....it aint like Newport beach.

Ateo - 4-16-2013 at 06:07 PM

All I'm saying is as a guy who spends a lot of time in the ocean, the Sea of Cortez isn't something I lose sleep over. I know there are currents and the weather changes quickly. People die. These are things that any person on the water should be aware of.

These guys are fit and strong. They are carrying their lives and cameras with them so I'm guessing they don't want to get too wet. My bet is they are staying very, and I mean very, close to shore, traveling while the weather is good (who wants to paddle in rough conditions????), and resting when the weather sucks.

That's all I have to add. =)

mtgoat666 - 4-16-2013 at 06:45 PM

Quote:
All I'm saying is as a guy who spends a lot of time in the ocean, the Sea of Cortez isn't something I lose sleep over. I know there are currents and the weather changes quickly. People die. These are things that any person on the water should be aware of.

you know, we all die someday, and doing something you like in a place you like seems like a good time/place to die. Just saying,... there are worse places to die! :light::light:

Ateo - 4-16-2013 at 06:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:

you know, we all die someday, and doing something you like in a place you like seems like a good time/place to die. Just saying,... there are worse places to die! :light::light:

I would agree with that. On the operating table or in a car sucks. I want to die in Baja. On a beach. :)

David K - 4-16-2013 at 06:58 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I would agree with that. On the operating table or in a car sucks. I want to die in Baja. On a beach. :)

:light:

If I don't die there, I have asked to spend eternity there!

DENNIS - 4-16-2013 at 07:24 PM

Real brilliant conversation going on here. When are you guys gonna get to the seventy virgins part?

EnsenadaDr - 4-16-2013 at 08:40 PM

A lot of white crosses at the sides of the roads in Baja Dennis...many people contemplate dying in Baja.

mcfez - 4-16-2013 at 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Real brilliant conversation going on here. When are you guys gonna get to the seventy virgins part?
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

BajaGeoff - 4-17-2013 at 02:15 PM

Here is a pretty cool interview with the guys done by Serge Dedina of WiLDCOAST:

http://lajolla.patch.com/articles/from-zombieland-to-cabo-wa...

MexicoTed - 4-17-2013 at 02:37 PM

About 10 years I was with some friends kayaking just north of Loreto in early summer when the weather suddenly changed. Our strongest kayaker (who had done it for 20 years) was suddenly pulled off shore about a 100 yards or so. He couldn't get back to shore, so tried to paddle parallel for a while, but made no progress towards the shore. A panga came by about 5 minutes later and saved him.

It can go bad quickly.

desertcpl - 4-17-2013 at 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MexicoTed
About 10 years I was with some friends kayaking just north of Loreto in early summer when the weather suddenly changed. Our strongest kayaker (who had done it for 20 years) was suddenly pulled off shore about a 100 yards or so. He couldn't get back to shore, so tried to paddle parallel for a while, but made no progress towards the shore. A panga came by about 5 minutes later and saved him.

It can go bad quickly.

I was in my personal panga just out side of Bahia,, when a squall came on us out of no where, it was hairy for awhile, my panga was knocked down, and lost a lot of gear over board
my shorts was puckered up for along time after that, I thank god for the handling of the boat to right itself, it was on us in a matter of minutes
personally I don't see them with SOB, JMO

motoged - 4-17-2013 at 06:38 PM

Quote:
A lot of white crosses at the sides of the roads in Baja Dennis...many people contemplate dying in Baja.

I have contemplated it....Baja is a good place to die....just don't think those shrines are for people who planned it.

Accidents and other tragedies account for the crosses....and perhaps some poor judgement was at work....we are hoping these two guys won't need a shrine at this time.
:saint:

MMc - 4-21-2013 at 11:51 AM

I hope these guys are having the time of their lives!!! Without the spot, this board just wanders to the next shiny post. Have they been seen lately?

DianaT - 4-21-2013 at 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
I hope these guys are having the time of their lives!!! Without the spot, this board just wanders to the next shiny post. Have they been seen lately?

There are some really good pictures of them leaving Mulege on their boards on their facebook page. They posted one and the other ones were posted by others.

AndyP - 4-22-2013 at 01:21 AM

That is a beautiful stretch of coast and I imagine they're having a fantastic time. After that walk I bet this stretch seems like a vacation! Assuming they are experienced paddlers it doesn't seem like an overly risky adventure to me... don't go out if the weather is bad and especially watch out for sudden offshore winds.

Personally I think a kayak is worlds better in terms of an expedition craft, if for no other reason than the ability to carry extra water. These guys are obviously depending on a desalinator, which I would love to have and think is awesome as a supplement but not a sole water source. It means two hours (!) of pumping a day, and what if it breaks? I tried to have a planned four gallon buffer (that's only two days supply for two people) between water sources and carried up to 19 gallons at a time in a tandem kayak. I've talked to kayakers who were pinned down by wind for five days in a row on remote beaches.

Chances are good though in a tight spot they could reach a fisherman or yacht or something to get some water. There are some desolate stretches but there are still plenty of people out there.

chuckie - 4-22-2013 at 05:23 AM

Right after they left here, they had a number of red flag days, with seas to six feet. They are not experienced paddlers, so I dont imagine they got very far. Last coupleof days have been flat and lots of boats are headed south. If anyone spots them we should hear about it.

EnsenadaDr - 4-22-2013 at 06:16 AM

They posted a response to someone on this past Saturday mornng at 5:15 a.m. on Facebook...but no other updates or pictures...

[Edited on 4-22-2013 by EnsenadaDr]

chuckie - 4-22-2013 at 06:30 AM

they were still in the river then, someone said they made it to the point, same day...

Pompano - 4-22-2013 at 08:01 AM

TALLY HO! THE GAMES AFOOT!

These young fellows are on an adventure they will recall to thier grandchildren many years from now. It's something all of us that share The Baja Feeling know....it's kind of a rite of passage...getting shed of civilization and daring the wilderness.

To be sure they are on a very well traveled stretch of SOC coastlne. Local pangueros, expat fishermen, sailboat & stinkpot cruisers, and kayak outfitters ply those waters constantly. Lots of opportunities for contact of any kind. Fish camps dot the coastline from Pt. Conception to Loreto..and beyond.

First OUTWARD BOUND and then NOLS National Outdoor Leadership School) have sent many hundreds of kayak students down that coastline since the early 70's. These are regular college-accredited kayak trips of 2-4 weeks from November to end of April...now. Naturally they are guided by expert and experienced NOLS instructors.

This ia photo of one NOLS group taken from my old cruiser, Pompano, while I was delivering water containers to a cache south of Pt. Conception, seen in background.

There is an ever present danger of encountering high winds...and they can be lifetakers. 3 kayaking students lost thier lives in such a storm in the early 70's. A tragic reminder that the sea is unforgiving to the careless.

Far from feeling isolated, these fellows may feel like they are part of a parade. Since moving to Coyote Bay a lifetime ago, I and a few amigos have kayaked, canoed, sailed, and motored that entire coast from Conception Bay to Cabo and up to Scorpion Bay and back. Like these boys, we were young and eager for adventure. It's a pleasant and very fun trip, but you must use common sense and keep a weather eye out.

Simple stuff...enjoy it, boys. You'll have the time of your lives!

BajaGeoff - 4-22-2013 at 10:23 AM

Here is the most recent photo from their Facebook page:

Explorer Moment of the week

Curt63 - 4-24-2013 at 02:46 PM

Nice Report

BajaGeoff - 4-24-2013 at 02:50 PM

Cool! Thanks Curt!

chuckie - 4-24-2013 at 02:53 PM

They must be moving along..I was pretty far south yesterday and did not see them...

motoged - 4-24-2013 at 09:35 PM

That report really was more of a glossy sound bite than a report....this thread has been a much better and accurate "report"....so thanks, nomads, for "keeping it real". :saint:

805gregg - 4-25-2013 at 09:51 PM

There is an a$$ for every seat

Great picture...

EnsenadaDr - 4-25-2013 at 11:33 PM

Very nice paddling picture, guys...keep up the fantastic work!!
Quote:
Here is the most recent photo from their Facebook page:

Curt63 - 4-26-2013 at 06:44 AM

From their Facebook page

The first week of paddling will perhaps be our worst. 20-30 knot winds producing 6ft+ swells. Boards flipped. Equipment floated away (but nothing lost). And after battling the conditions for 3 days we took refuge in a small cove. The winds eventually calmed and we spent 4 days paddling in what could have been the most amazingly wild part of our trip yet. The absence of humans and the abundance of marine life reminds us everyday of how unique the Gulf of California truly is.

Stand Up Paddle boards thrive out here. They allow us to stand above and look down through the emerald waters of the gulf. The amount of sea life beneath us is overwhelming.

micah202 - 4-26-2013 at 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Curt63

The first week of paddling will perhaps be our worst. 20-30 knot winds producing 6ft+ swells.

...ahh,,they'd be in LaPaz if they had taken those patio umbrellas!;D
.......I guess it's not all 'bout speed though,,,
............they'd miss too many fishcamps!!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

[Edited on 4-27-2013 by micah202]

BajaGeoff - 4-29-2013 at 12:14 PM

From their Facebook page on Friday:

"Pushed off from Loreto today. Calm and beautiful. Tonight we are camping on Isla Danzante. Tomorrow we leave communication for 2 weeks as we make our way south to La Paz on a stretch of coast known only to those passing through by boat or kayak.

We're perhaps the first people to Stand Up Paddle this section..."

tiotomasbcs - 4-29-2013 at 01:15 PM

Beautiful picture! Are they keeping a journal? The last 2 weeks trip plus the next stretch would make great reading. Water all around but drinking water?? Good luck, Amigos. Tio

MikeYounghusband - 4-29-2013 at 03:11 PM

They have plenty of drinking water. I think 3 or 4 Dromedary bags which hold 2.5 gallons each. Plus there are ranches all of the way down.
Met the guys in Loreto and had a great dinner. Had a real good time hashing stories with them. Hope they can stop back by on their way home so I can show them around.

watizname - 4-29-2013 at 05:47 PM

Oh to be young again. These boys are having the time of their lives. What fun. :cool:

MexicoTed - 4-29-2013 at 07:30 PM

I was staying at Villa del Palmar Loreto on Saturday and Israel who runs the beach club told me he saw a strange site off of Danzante. It looked like two people standing on kayaks and heading south. He said he thought at first it was paddle boarders but couldn't wrap it around his head why paddle boarders would be heading south. When I told them he probably saw the guys, he couldn't believe it. I just wish I was down there Sat am to see them leave Danzante Island.

[Edited on 4-30-2013 by MexicoTed]

mtgoat666 - 4-29-2013 at 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tiotomasbcs
Beautiful picture! Are they keeping a journal?

From what I understand, not a written journal; more of a video travelogue told via tweets, about "#beaches" (not to be confused with "beaches"), I think.

chuckie - 4-29-2013 at 08:42 PM

Hijo De La Playa, was the name of one of my boats....

A journal on Facebook...

EnsenadaDr - 4-29-2013 at 08:47 PM

I think Facebook could be considered a journal of sorts.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by tiotomasbcs
Beautiful picture! Are they keeping a journal?

From what I understand, not a written journal; more of a video travelogue told via tweets, about "#beaches" (not to be confused with "beaches"), I think.

BajaBlanca - 4-30-2013 at 08:31 AM

2 weeks incommunicado is a long time ! good luck boys ! I bet boats go out and meet up with them every so often.

durrelllrobert - 4-30-2013 at 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Hijo De La Playa, was the name of one of my boats....

II once had a cabin at a place named Sonova Beach.

chuckie - 4-30-2013 at 09:51 AM

Named after my ex brother in law?

EnsenadaDr - 4-30-2013 at 10:29 AM

Isn't it tough stand up paddling? Is sitting down and paddling an option if you get tired? Why didn't they go for kayaks? Or is SUP, like they mentioned, the way to go?

BajaGeoff - 4-30-2013 at 10:36 AM

Stand up paddling can be tough....especially when there is wind. Even on short paddles the arches of my feet will get cramped up. The guys should be fine once their muscles get acclimated. If you get tired of standing you can kneel down and paddle.

Kayaks are probably more practical...but SUP is all the rage right now....and I don't think that any one has attempted the route they are taking on SUP's...

DENNIS - 4-30-2013 at 10:51 AM

Quote:
Why didn't they go for kayaks?

Or, better yet, a Chris Craft. [do they still make those?]

A little SUP history

durrelllrobert - 4-30-2013 at 10:57 AM

Quote:
Isn't it tough stand up paddling? Is sitting down and paddling an option if you get tired? Why didn't they go for kayaks? Or is SUP, like they mentioned, the way to go?

The first stand up paddle surfers emerged in Waikiki in the early 1950s, when the post-war tourism boom saw Matson cruise liners deposit thousands of thrill-hungry Americans on the beach under the shadow of Diamond Head. Naturally, they wanted to try their hand at the new sport of surfing, or at least take a canoe surf under the expert guidance of a Waikiki beachboy. And there were plenty of beachboys up for the job. Duke Kahanamoku and his brothers were a bit long in the tooth by this stage, but in their wake had come a whole new generation of beachboys who lurked under the banyan trees flirting with pretty heiresses until their bosses, the concierges of the luxury hotels on the beachfront, waved them into action for the benefit of another troop of newly-arrived thrill-seekers.

There being no point in risking life and limb in the pounding breakers unless you had a photo to prove it, the beachboys were called upon not only to teach the sport but to photograph it, and the box brownie cameras of the day made that rather difficult. No one can now remember who was the first ? maybe it was one of the Ah Choy brothers, Leroy or Bobby ? but one of the beachboys came up with an ingenious idea. He borrowed a paddle from an outrigger captain, hung a Kodak around his neck and paddled into the break standing on his redwood hot curl board.

To fall was to destroy an expensive camera, but put them on a board and beachboys can do anything, and soon full-frame photos of Cindy-Lou?s first wave, shot from right there on the same wave, on the next board if you can believe it, were de rigeur for the tourists. Inadvertently, the beachboys had invented a new style of surfing which, naturally enough, became known as ?beachboy surfing?.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=stand%20up%20...

EnsenadaDr - 4-30-2013 at 11:14 AM

Well they are claiming it is the best way...interesting.
Quote:
Stand up paddling can be tough....especially when there is wind. Even on short paddles the arches of my feet will get cramped up. The guys should be fine once their muscles get acclimated. If you get tired of standing you can kneel down and paddle.

Kayaks are probably more practical...but SUP is all the rage right now....and I don't think that any one has attempted the route they are taking on SUP's...

EnsenadaDr - 4-30-2013 at 11:16 AM

Here you go Dennis, and a very high tech polished ad to boot!!

http://www.chriscraft.com/

Quote:
Quote:
Why didn't they go for kayaks?

Or, better yet, a Chris Craft. [do they still make those?]

monoloco - 4-30-2013 at 01:58 PM

Quote:
You can also paddle effectively while kneeling.

mtgoat666 - 4-30-2013 at 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
Quote:
You can also paddle effectively while kneeling.

couldn't they strap a beach chair on a SUP so it is a bit more comfy like a kayak, and have a lower center of gravity?

for example, this chair is light and comes with an umbrella for hot days in the doldrums (can be used as a kite on downwind runs)

:light::light::light::light::light::light:

motoged - 4-30-2013 at 02:51 PM

And here I was thinking that SUP's (don't we love acronyms :saint: ) were just recirculated one-design windsurfers that didn't sell after sinkers and kite boards took over....

I still think they are beach toys rather than sensible long distance touring crafts.

But....each to their own.

Why do it the easy and smart way when you can do what you think is cool and more fun?

bajadogs - 4-30-2013 at 03:05 PM

Not to take away from their trip but I agree that SUP's are less than practical. I guess being able to say you were the first has a draw, but if it were me a kayak would be much more comfy... or... a MKIII Zodiac with a 40HP outboard... or etc.

Like I said though, these dudes are livin' the epic journey and I can't wait to see their version on video. I wish I could have meet them on their way at some point.

mtgoat666 - 4-30-2013 at 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
I still think they are beach toys rather than sensible long distance touring crafts.

most long distance touring craft are toys. very few small craft fall are sensible...

motoged - 4-30-2013 at 03:20 PM

Yeah.....okay....ALL vehicles/machines are toys....

Some are better designed for certain applications...

satmike - 5-4-2013 at 08:20 AM

I just got back from Mexican 1000 and was hoping I would run into them again, but no luck

windgrrl - 5-4-2013 at 08:39 AM

SUP industry had enormous growth in the last decade and SUPs now come in so many configurations and styles. They can be used for paddle surfing in big waves, course racing, touring, etc., etc. and many can be converted for windsurfing.

Some of the appeal of an SUP is a full body work-out, better view of the sea life below and being higher up on the water. A skilled SUP-er is faster than a kayaker in a basic kayak, and an SUP tends to be more portable (easier to launch, land and carry). Perhaps this might have appealed to these hydro Trekkers when they were doing their logistics. They seem to be doing the Baja waterway equivalent of climbing Mount Everest light and fast.

[Edited on 5-4-2013 by windgrrl]

Thanks for the Update, windgirl..

EnsenadaDr - 5-5-2013 at 08:52 PM

Very interesting take on the SUP fave...a shoutout to the boys wherever they are "Feliz Cinco de Mayo"...no update on their Facebook page...
Quote:
Originally posted by windgrrl
SUP industry had enormous growth in the last decade and SUPs now come in so many configurations and styles. They can be used for paddle surfing in big waves, course racing, touring, etc., etc. and many can be converted for windsurfing.

Some of the appeal of an SUP is a full body work-out, better view of the sea life below and being higher up on the water. A skilled SUP-er is faster than a kayaker in a basic kayak, and an SUP tends to be more portable (easier to launch, land and carry). Perhaps this might have appealed to these hydro Trekkers when they were doing their logistics. They seem to be doing the Baja waterway equivalent of climbing Mount Everest light and fast.

[Edited on 5-4-2013 by windgrrl]

sancho - 5-6-2013 at 11:05 AM

Quote:
very few small craft fall are sensible...

No doubt, one epic kayak paddle was done by Ed Gillete,
(sp?), he used to run Baja kayak trips, this was before
tech GPS, etc., '80's, he paddled solo unassisted from
Monterrey, Ca., to Maui, Hawaii

EnsenadaDr - 5-6-2013 at 11:13 AM

Wow, that is incredible...geez, sounds like a much cheaper way to get over there...airfares are really high now to go to Hawaii....
Quote:
Originally posted by sancho
Quote:
very few small craft fall are sensible...

No doubt, one epic kayak paddle was done by Ed Gillete,
(sp?), he used to run Baja kayak trips, this was before
tech GPS, etc., '80's, he paddled solo unassisted from
Monterrey, Ca., to Maui, Hawaii

monoloco - 5-6-2013 at 03:18 PM

Ed Gillette is quite the adventurer. Here's the story of his epic crossing to Hawaii:http://www.legendinc.com/Pages/MarbleheadNet/MM/Articles/EdGillette.html

BajaBlanca - 5-6-2013 at 04:39 PM

Whoa...what an incredible journey!

BajaGeoff - 5-7-2013 at 03:10 PM

This was posted today on their Instagram account....apparently they have had some success fishing off the stand up paddleboards!

David K - 5-7-2013 at 03:22 PM

Good to know they are still above water! News blackout over... Keep us posted. :light:

DENNIS - 5-7-2013 at 03:37 PM

Quote:
This was posted today on their Instagram account....apparently they have had some success fishing off the stand up paddleboards!

How in the world do feet get that dirty when you're out on the water? :lol:

EnsenadaDr - 5-7-2013 at 06:13 PM

The same way your feet keep clean when you don't go outside :lol:
Quote:
Quote:

How in the world do feet get that dirty when you're out on the water? :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

desertcpl - 5-7-2013 at 06:14 PM

good question,, Dennis

EnsenadaDr - 5-7-2013 at 06:18 PM

They do have to get off the paddle boards to cook and eat the fish, did you notice how shallow the water was...maybe they got off and walked in the sand before paddling off again...or is that not allowed either?

EnsenadaDr - 5-7-2013 at 06:22 PM

Remember way back when when they were asking what fishing gear they would use?

Here is the comment that went along with the latest picture from their Facebook:

May 4th

Fishing is now part of our daily routine and we've had an amazing amount of success with a very modest setup. See that stick between my feet and that nice, fat Cabria? 40lb fishing line wrapped around some driftwood and the right lure. Drop that behind the board and we're able to supplement our diet of beans and rice with Trigger fish ceviche and pan fried Pargo. At times, we've even traded a sailboat fresh fish in exchange for supplies.

[Edited on 5-8-2013 by EnsenadaDr]

Ateo - 5-7-2013 at 06:32 PM

Totally cool. So stoked to see the whole trip report someday.............or video. What an amazing journey.

Just an observation, but I would have stopped posting here as well, being tired of all the negativity in this thread. Not speaking for them, but for me. That, and who the heck cares to post stuff when you are having the time of your life in Baja??!!!

Keep living guys. You have my support.

Thanks for the updates BajaGeoff.

rts551 - 5-7-2013 at 07:18 PM

Quote:
Totally cool. So stoked to see the whole trip report someday.............or video. What an amazing journey.

Just an observation, but I would have stopped posting here as well, being tired of all the negativity in this thread. Not speaking for them, but for me. That, and who the heck cares to post stuff when you are having the time of your life in Baja??!!!

Keep living guys. You have my support.

Thanks for the updates BajaGeoff.

Ateo, don't be so negative. On this forum it is much more fun to post someone else's photos and stories. not your own.

David K - 5-7-2013 at 11:24 PM

Thank you BajaGeoff for posting their story and photos... your (and other's) sharing is appreciated and adds so much more to just seeing typed words and complaints!

DENNIS - 5-8-2013 at 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Thank you BajaGeoff for posting their story and photos... your (and other's) sharing is appreciated and adds so much more to just seeing typed words and complaints!

Who's complaining? Do you think I was complaining about the dirty feet?
Ya know....this isn't a sacred quest these kids are on...it's a camping trip. Between you and Ateo, I don't know which is more confused about the importance of this journey, and perhaps both of you should be down here scattering rose petals in their path.....and washing those dirty feet.

Gawwwwdammmmm ridiculous. None of this sheit's gonna make the history books unless it goes into the predigested section.

EnsenadaDr - 5-8-2013 at 11:19 AM

wow Dennis sweetie, do you want me to come over and make you that smoked pork??? You woke up on the wrong side of the bed today!!

DENNIS - 5-8-2013 at 11:25 AM

Quote:
wow Dennis sweetie, do you want me to come over and make you that smoked pork??? You woke up on the wrong side of the bed today!!

Waking up at all is the gift, and I celebrate that by acting as though I'm alive.
When I quit responding to my visceral voice, that will be a problem.

[Edited on 5-8-2013 by DENNIS]

EnsenadaDr - 5-8-2013 at 11:31 AM

Don't worry Dennis, Marie Dunder gave me her curry recipe, and I will bring you some over as soon as I get all the spices I need..!!

motoged - 5-8-2013 at 11:47 AM

Quote:

Ya know....this isn't a sacred quest these kids are on...it's a camping trip......
Gawwwwdammmmm ridiculous. None of this sheit's gonna make the history books unless it goes into the predigested section.

:biggrin:
Dennis,
I share somewhat the same sentiments. While I am sure we both see the adventure challenge of these two guys doing what they are doing, we are not on bended knee in stupefied admiration.

Some people need heroes I suppose, and some folks live their adventures through others rather than stepping out and making their own.

May the two guys survive their adventure and then later step up to the plate/shrine they initially set up when bragging about their intentions before they started and were asking for other folks to contribute to their funds.

If they successfully manage those two tasks, they will have earned more of my respect.
:cool:

In the meantime, it doesn't mean that we are cruel and heartless crabby ol' farts because we haven't joined their glee club.

Bajaboy - 5-8-2013 at 11:56 AM

Quote:
Don't worry Dennis, Marie Dunder gave me her curry recipe, and I will bring you some over as soon as I get all the spices I need..!!

I thought you were moving to Hawaii to work at some resort:?:

EnsenadaDr - 5-8-2013 at 12:04 PM

Boy how rumors abound!! Yes, Fulano posted that I am claiming to be an MD in Hawaii and run a holistic medical practice. Hahaha...I am NOT a Doctor in Hawaii, nor have I ever claimed to be. I put one or two entries on my website, janenecaracaus.com, about holistic herbs that the ancient Hawaiians used back in the day, and all of the sudden I am opening up a practice. I firmly believe in conventional medicine. But back to the boys....Yes, boys, I think you both are WONDERFUL. I would like to see any of these old geezers including myself, stand up on an SUP much less paddle miles. I am in awe of both of you, not only for your superior physical abilities, but to overcome the negative connotation and fear of being in Mexico, and prove to the world and others, that Mexico can be safe and a beautiful place to be. KUDOS to you both...and couch potatoes, and keyboard commandos, keep typing the negativity in the comfort of your own homes!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:

Bajaboy - 5-8-2013 at 12:07 PM

Quote:
Boy how rumors abound!! Yes, Fulano posted that I am claiming to be an MD in Hawaii and run a holistic medical practice. Hahaha...I am NOT a Doctor in Hawaii, nor have I ever claimed to be. I put one or two entries on my website, janenecaracaus.com, about holistic herbs that the ancient Hawaiians used back in the day, and all of the sudden I am opening up a practice. I firmly believe in conventional medicine. But back to the boys....Yes, boys, I think you both are WONDERFUL. I would like to see any of these old geezers including myself, stand up on an SUP much less paddle miles. I am in awe of both of you, not only for your superior physical abilities, but to overcome the negative connotation and fear of being in Mexico, and prove to the world and others, that Mexico can be safe and a beautiful place to be. KUDOS to you both...and couch potatoes, and keyboard commandos, keep typing the negativity in the comfort of your own homes!!
Quote:
Quote:

I have no idea what you are referring to...a while back you chimed in that you were taking a job at a hotel resort as the resident doctor. I thought you said at the beginning of the year and thus figured you'd already be there....

EnsenadaDr - 5-8-2013 at 12:16 PM

That was in Mexico, not in Hawaii. I do go to Hawaii occasionally for real estate matters, but not for anything to do with holistic medicine. I am in the midst of negotiations here for the resort, but things are not quite finalized. Back to the boys now, this is their thread...
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have no idea what you are referring to...a while back you chimed in that you were taking a job at a hotel resort as the resident doctor. I thought you said at the beginning of the year and thus figured you'd already be there....

DENNIS - 5-8-2013 at 12:24 PM

Quote:
but to overcome the negative connotation and fear of being in Mexico, and prove to the world and others, that Mexico can be safe and a beautiful place to be. KUDOS to you both

:lol: They aren't exactly paddling down Revo in TJ at midnight. They're in the middle of the ocean.
I guess they could be collected by one of those cartel submarines, but I doubt that's likely.
Paddle on, muchachos. The spirit of Hillary cheers you on.
So do I, by the way. :saint:

I'm a little confused

EnsenadaDr - 5-8-2013 at 12:31 PM

Are you talking about Hillary Clinton or Sir Edmund Hilary?
Quote:
Quote:
but to overcome the negative connotation and fear of being in Mexico, and prove to the world and others, that Mexico can be safe and a beautiful place to be. KUDOS to you both

:lol: They aren't exactly paddling down Revo in TJ at midnight. They're in the middle of the ocean.
I guess they could be collected by one of those cartel submarines, but I doubt that's likely.
Paddle on, muchachos. The spirit of Hillary cheers you on.
So do I, by the way. :saint:

DENNIS - 5-8-2013 at 12:51 PM

Quote:

I'm a little confused.
Are you talking about Hillary Clinton or Sir Edmund Hilary

Repare the spelling errors in the names and you'll have answered your own question.

tripledigitken - 5-8-2013 at 12:53 PM

You two are golden, lmao.

Ken

Bajaboy - 5-8-2013 at 01:03 PM

Quote:
That was in Mexico, not in Hawaii. I do go to Hawaii occasionally for real estate matters, but not for anything to do with holistic medicine. I am in the midst of negotiations here for the resort, but things are not quite finalized. Back to the boys now, this is their thread...
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Cool...now back to you and Dennis:spingrin:

EnsenadaDr - 5-8-2013 at 01:37 PM

Repare=Repair
Hillary Clinton=Hillary Clinton
Sir Edmund Hilary=Sir Edmund Hillary
Both Hillary's are spelled the same,

Ateo - 5-8-2013 at 02:04 PM

Ladies and Gentleman,

All I'm saying is this is quite a trip. That's it.

Dennis: I'm not taking your dirty feet comments as negative. That was an obvious joke. I take what you said above as an insult and a complete misread of my position.

Moto: I don't need heroes. I've done enough in my life, if you were referring to me :)

All I'm saying is its an epic trip.

A thread about a cool friggen thing to do gets soiled up. Why am I even writing this?

DENNIS - 5-8-2013 at 02:04 PM

Quote:

Ahhhhso...they are. I was confusing Ms. Clinton's name with "Hilarious."
Imagine that.
It might just be President Hilarious in a few years. [pardon me while I go sharpen my Hari Kari knife]

EnsenadaDr - 5-8-2013 at 02:15 PM

Dennis, you belong with Hillary...Mr. Hilarious
Quote:
Quote:

Ahhhhso...they are. I was confusing Ms. Clinton's name with "Hilarious."
Imagine that.
It might just be President Hilarious in a few years. [pardon me while I go sharpen my Hari Kari knife]
:lol:
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9