BajaNomad

Jimena

Pages:  1  ..  7    9    11  ..  14

shari - 9-3-2009 at 10:00 AM

this is a report from Pta.Chivato i just received...

Phones out. mulege worse than john.ALL houses flooded in chivato.. road out. new bridge out on hiway. No water,main house valves left open have resulted in pilas being drained as exterior water lines are cut by erosion or debris. Acostas, roof damage, plywood blown off windows. Aselin roof severe damage,windows caved in,palapas destroyed. Severe beach erosion. Bowers house OK, boat OK. cox, minor damage. Jones some roof eaves blown off house. holes in garage roof. Ian,trailer moved 3-4ft,deck gone. Dykyne, master, kitchen windows blown in. Carl,very extensive damage,to all of compound. Jaime extensive roof damage. big D bedroom flooded, doors blown in. Sicks seem OK, Wade, no damage. Woods,eaves blown off,palapa destroyed. Wales, heavy retaining wall damage ,collapsed. Tonini, outside kitchen(?)windows blown in. Sparky may not have made it, Beppo OK. Navarra,heavy beach erosion, some roof damage. Becks, windows blown in. cavanaughs destroyed.Jorge windows blown in, flooded. Moranville, minor fence damage. Heavy damage to majority of houses on shell beach.

PLEASE think carefully before you come...right now you cannot get here, there is not enough food or water,you can do nothing for your places. plan on ten days or so if you MUST come. You could make things worse if you don't think it through

DENNIS - 9-3-2009 at 10:01 AM

Not to detract from any budding effort to give assistance, this scenario is recurrent. More so recently. When all is said and done after Jimena, an effort to stockpile and plan for future events should be given serious consideration. To organize and implement a plan after the storm has struck is chaos but, we'll do what we can do.
The future of effective assistance is in our hands.

More later. Lots to think about today.

baja-spirit - 9-3-2009 at 10:12 AM

thanks for letting us know Shari.... We have a house in Punta chivato..
the Jorge house that has windows blown in might be ours. There are a couple of George's there.. This is just making us sick....Russ said he would get back to me as soon as he gets out and looks around...

shari - 9-3-2009 at 10:13 AM

you know I will help with whatever I can...but as far as me setting up a fund...problem is that here i have no access to banks to move money around and wouldnt know where to begin...who to help first???? we are a bit isolated for that perhaps but I'm open to suggestions.
I may be able to open a paypal account...but sure wouldnt want to be responsible for administering funds...leaves me open to alot of crap if ya know what I mean....but as I said...I will listen to ideas.

If people want to fly down supplies, they can drop them and then stay here if needed...we werent affected at all and have all services etc...but gas will run out as the highway is closed so tankers cant get in...we have all our jerry cans full right now.

Gadget - 9-3-2009 at 10:18 AM

Re: reliefe funds. We assisted souls in Mulege after Hurricane John through the Rotarios and Jimmy Christopher. We aided physically with the Bomberos for a week. Stayed at the Fodors place at Chivato so as to not impact service in town. Sounds like they got hit bad there on this one.
I can't get away for a week like last time but will be praying and sending funds.
Water 2 meters higher than John at bridge???? Good Lord I pray that is not correct!!! I want that to read river level 2 meters higher than normal at bridge.

DENNIS - 9-3-2009 at 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
you know I will help with whatever I can...

It's a lot to ask, Shari and truthfully, it's hard to know what to ask. So far, you've been a trooper. Just do what you can and see my post above about future events.

LancairDriver - 9-3-2009 at 10:20 AM

From the Baja Bush Pilots site.

Mid-Baja has suffered major damage. We are getting “real time” reports from different sources including people on the ground in the damage areas as well as the Mexican Red Cross. It is not good. The reports that we have indicate:
Matancitas (Lopez Mateos) Almost 90% of the structures are down or severely damaged. All water, power, telephone, etc. out
Ciudad Constitucion: Most roofs are gone; sever damage to 70% of the buildings. Power, water, telephones are out
Loreto: All power / telephone are down, lines are down, trees and buildings blocking the streets, airport is closed at this time.
Mulege: All power, telephone, water, etc. is out. The water crested three feet above the bridge. Water was two feet deep in the fire station which would mean that almost of the entire town was flooded. There has been reports of loss of life.
Punta Chivato: One person indicates that the wind was over 100 mph before the indicator broke. Damage to almost everything. We should hear about the condition of the strip sometime today
Santa Rosalia: Wall of water came down the canyon and through the town, washed cars, etc. into the ocean.

The Red Cross has been in contact with us today, they are still in the process of determining their needs however, they indicate that they will need our help.
We will be putting out another alert for donations as well as where they are needed. I have taken the position that we will not be bringing things down unless there is a structured means of distributing them. With Hurricane John, I have to estimate that about half of the donations ended up with people that really did not need them.

Eugenio - 9-3-2009 at 10:23 AM

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the people of Mulege and Baja Sur.

We have good friens there.

Does anyone know how long after the storm the river in Mulege will peak? Thanks.

lindsay - 9-3-2009 at 10:24 AM

Thanks for your posting & I will be happy to help with any donation efforts once it's set up...Mulege is my second home & my daughter has big group of relatives there so we are happy to help when the efforts start to get organized...thanks again

jls - 9-3-2009 at 10:27 AM

How about the churches...they often organize relief efforts?

DianaT - 9-3-2009 at 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LancairDriver
From the Baja Bush Pilots site.

I have taken the position that we will not be bringing things down unless there is a structured means of distributing them. With Hurricane John, I have to estimate that about half of the donations ended up with people that really did not need them.

The Bush Pilots seem like the way to go since so many roads are closed and they can get to the more isolated places.

I really understand wanting to see things distributed properly---have seen it before where donations did not go to their intended recipient.

I would think that the local priests might be a good place to start?????

Keep us posted as to what is happening. Thanks

Diane

austriaco - 9-3-2009 at 10:35 AM

I just received the followimg email:

Hola Posadans,
I just spoke to Jim Christopher who was able to get thru, this morning to Quito in Mulege. I am very sorry to report that it appears that Mulege and the surrounding area has suffered a disaster of major proportions. Last night flood waters actually breached the main bridge by about 2ft. Remember that in the last major storm, I think it was Juan, the water came up to about 2ft under the bridge which did alot of damage all over town particularly along the river. Quito tells us that there is about 1 mt (little less than 3ft) of water in the fire station and that the roof blew off. Both he and his sons vehicles where distroyed. If there was that much water in the fire station just think what that means for the rest of town. Maybe 3 ft of water in Scotty's el candil ? It will be a major miracle if there is no loss of life in Mulege.

I am worried about the Apples. Jim's last post was yesterday afternoon but nothing since.

Jimmy will try and get in touch with Quito tomorrow morning for another report. I will do my best to update you sometime tomorrow. I am at the Power's home in Montana at the moment but I'm headed back to the SF bay area this morning.

Feel free to forward this to anyone you think might be interested.

DENNIS - 9-3-2009 at 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jdtrotter

The Bush Pilots seem like the way to go since so many roads are closed and they can get to the more isolated places.

That makes sense. What about the new regulations against importation of goods? Material from nort of the border will be subjected to rigorous taxation.
As far as building supplies are concerned, they are all available below the border and ground shipping to points south is available.
Just a thought.

Oh yeah...about those priests. Maybe they should be left in charge of the repairation of souls..and I don't mean the ones on the bottom of their Gucci zapatos.

Beachgirl - 9-3-2009 at 10:43 AM

Last year we looked like the Grapes of Wrath truck heading to Mulege after Julio, crammed full of replacement stuff. We just said it was for our home because of the storm. No questions, no inspection. Don't know about these new guys. Believe me, they will be getting a huge ration of crap from any of us for sure if they try to pull the tax thing after this storm. You can bet those boys and their families have taken a really bit hit, too. Doubt there will be a problem.

CaboMagic - 9-3-2009 at 10:43 AM

Started a separate thread entitled Bob and Susan in Mulege so that if they do get internet access that would alleviate the need to read thru pages and pages of this thread.

Following is the note:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you are able to access this and have a cel phone plz send to us. Or if anyone has that info please U2U.

Re: Tonearts comment - which is indicative of what a giver he is - If Bob & Susan are willing to be the recipient of and fund appropriator, we offer to coordinate paypal and wire of donations.

We respectfully offer thoughts and prayers ...
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

In HJohn time, we collected nearly $3K in donations and matched that with our own funds .. Tommy got cooperation from local govt officials and used trucks to deliver water and staples to outlying areas. Purchased an additional $3K in necessity items (sundries and clothing) at Target Stores and BajaPak'd to Bruce when he lived in Mulege and he distributed ..

As Shari notes its tough to do from South .. that is why we offer to handle coordination of funds to Bob in Mulege if he's up to it .. if someone has an alternative idea please let us know. We wire funds from USA to CSL at least once every week ..

Shari if you have the ability to receive funds from US we can get it to you .. again, if you are willing to take that on ...

Will be away from computer for approx 2 hours will check back in then.

Can U2U or send e direct tommyandlori"AT"cabomagic.com

Have already received several emails of offers to donate so all we need is the one to receive and distribute 'there'.

bajajudy - 9-3-2009 at 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
you know I will help with whatever I can...but as far as me setting up a fund...problem is that here i have no access to banks to move money around and wouldnt know where to begin...who to help first???? we are a bit isolated for that perhaps but I'm open to suggestions.
I may be able to open a paypal account...but sure wouldnt want to be responsible for administering funds...leaves me open to alot of crap if ya know what I mean....but as I said...I will listen to ideas.

I am not really in a position to handle this either. And I think that I am too far away to do any "on the ground" arrangements.
BUT I see that Cabo Magic has stepped up to the plate and they are very experienced in this sort of effort. THANX you guys!

DENNIS - 9-3-2009 at 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Beachgirl
Doubt there will be a problem.

Relief/charity can be detained at the border indefinitly. They don't turn a kind eye to that sort of thing from the US. In fact, they prefer to see it as an insult. "How dare you North Americans imply that we wont or can't take care of ourselves."
Believe me, this is the prevalent attitude.

toneart - 9-3-2009 at 10:51 AM

Regarding a relief fund for Mulege:
It is too early to know how to disburse funds, but not too early to set up one so as to be ready for when the picture becomes clearer. For now, collect and hold. The need is overwhelming!

I am in touch with a Rotarian of Mulege who is not there right now. This person feels strongly that they are the ones to best decide how to distribute the money. Right now Jim Christopher has his hands full. It will take a massive, coordinating effort and should not be a scatter shot.

DianaT - 9-3-2009 at 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboMagic
Started a separate thread entitled Bob and Susan in Mulege so that if they do get internet access that would alleviate the need to read thru pages and pages of this thread.

Following is the note:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you are able to access this and have a cel phone plz send to us. Or if anyone has that info please U2U.

Re: Tonearts comment - which is indicative of what a giver he is - If Bob & Susan are willing to be the recipient of and fund appropriator, we offer to coordinate paypal and wire of donations.

We respectfully offer thoughts and prayers ...
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

In HJohn time, we collected nearly $3K in donations and matched that with our own funds .. Tommy got cooperation from local govt officials and used trucks to deliver water and staples to outlying areas. Purchased an additional $3K in necessity items (sundries and clothing) at Target Stores and BajaPak'd to Bruce when he lived in Mulege and he distributed ..

As Shari notes its tough to do from South .. that is why we offer to handle coordination of funds to Bob in Mulege if he's up to it .. if someone has an alternative idea please let us know. We wire funds from USA to CSL at least once every week ..

Shari if you have the ability to receive funds from US we can get it to you .. again, if you are willing to take that on ...

Will be away from computer for approx 2 hours will check back in then.

Can U2U or send e direct tommyandlori"AT"cabomagic.com

Have already received several emails of offers to donate so all we need is the one to receive and distribute 'there'.

Sounds good, one question---how do you decide what goes where---which town, which area, etc. and in the outlying areas, who distributes the items?

toneart - 9-3-2009 at 10:55 AM

Regarding a relief fund for Mulege:
It is too early to know how to disburse funds, but not too early to set up one so as to be ready for when the picture becomes clearer. For now, collect and hold. The need is overwhelming!

I am in touch with a Rotarian of Mulege who is not there right now. This person feels strongly that they are the ones to best decide how to distribute the money. Right now Jim Christopher has his hands full. It will take a massive, coordinating effort and should not be a scatter shot.

DENNIS - 9-3-2009 at 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jdtrotter
Sounds good, one question---how do you decide what goes where---which town, which area, etc. and in the outlying areas, who distributes the items?

:lol::lol: The birth of BUREAUCRACY. :lol::lol:

CaboMagic - 9-3-2009 at 10:57 AM

Diane good point/s .. plus, if roads are out the $ then what?

What we are offering to do is be the recipient of funds sent to an account opened specifically for Jimena Relief and then wire received funds to whomever says they are willing to be the recipient of those funds 'there' and see that it is spent as needed ... be it Mulege or ...

I suppose it may be important to have some sort of a "Majority" Nomad agreement that the person who accepts funds has been deemed an acceptable and trustworthy one by the frequenters here ..

I really have to leave now and will check back on return ..

DENNIS - 9-3-2009 at 11:03 AM

Quote:
I suppose it may be important to have some sort of a "Majority" Nomad agreement that the person who accepts funds has been deemed an acceptable and trustworthy one by the frequenters here ..

It's too late to be looking for that one person. The area is too large..the damage too extensive. It can't be done.
Efforts and money have to be allocated carefully and quietly. A lot of people will wonder why they weren't included. What do you tell them?
Refine your efforts and do what can be done. If you try to do it all, you will surely come up short.

Again, this illustrates the need for pre-planning.

DianaT - 9-3-2009 at 11:05 AM

Quote:
Diane good point/s .. plus, if roads are out the $ then what?

What we are offering to do is be the recipient of funds sent to an account opened specifically for Jimena Relief and then wire received funds to whomever says they are willing to be the recipient of those funds 'there' and see that it is spent as needed ... be it Mulege or ...

I really have to leave now and will check back on return ..

Thanks Lori, and I would trust you completely---not a problem.

I guess I still hope to see ways of getting help to some of the more isolated areas like Lopez Mateos----not that I do not think Mulege needs TONS of help, but I also think they will receive more of the publicity and possibly more help than some of the other areas. Just thinking out loud--

DianaT - 9-3-2009 at 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

Refine your efforts and do what can be done. If you try to do it all, you will surely come up short.

I agree, a narrow focus is probably best for anyone wanting to help----a narrow focus on one area be it Mulege or somewhere else. It is all quite overwhelming.

I do think it is great they are willing to help, once again.

Diane

Bob and Susan - 9-3-2009 at 11:08 AM

thanks for thinking of us but we wouldn't have a clue

i think the rotary is the way to go

they do GREAT work for the community

Charise - 9-3-2009 at 11:10 AM

My parents are Marv & Cathy Perrigo....they live right on the river a few doors down from the Serinidad. We are very worried and have not heard from them since yesterday. If anyone has news about them, please let me know. We are worried sick about everyone down there.

charisesalivar@yahoo.com

Thank you!

Taco de Baja - 9-3-2009 at 11:10 AM

Nice sub-link in the Weather Underground site that tracks the path of Jimena using Google Maps. You can zoom in using the satellite/road image to see where it went...of course it's real path was much wider, but shows where the center was, and is forecast to be.

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap

Heather - 9-3-2009 at 11:11 AM

On a lighter side...

In the San Diego Union Tribune today just saw a quote by Shari Bondy about Jimena. Guess you and Juan are the go to's for weather updates!

My step-son is up here visiting from Cabo with plans to return to university on the 7th. Guess he'll have to fly down. I'm assuming the road will be unpassable for a while??

Keep safe all. H.

Skipjack Joe - 9-3-2009 at 11:11 AM

Continuing on Dennis' suggestion:
The Mulege donations should be given to those who rebuild on real estate that is safe from future flooding. This is becoming a regular phenomena and rebuilding the same homes makes little sense.

Following Diane's thoughts:
There are few nomads in Constitucion, Lopez Mateos, and San Carlos, but from the sound of it there are more people in trouble there than in Mulege. The contribution of nomads pales with what is required for baja.

Vince - 9-3-2009 at 11:14 AM

Bob and Susan have you heard from anyone in Bahia Conception about the conditions in Coyote Bay, Burro or Posada?

DianaT - 9-3-2009 at 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
thanks for thinking of us but we wouldn't have a clue

i think the rotary is the way to go

they do GREAT work for the community

Well, you are obviously OK---good to hear from you.

EngineerMike - 9-3-2009 at 11:17 AM

I'm starting to recover from my early a.m. shock.

The mud is till settling. I concur that travel plans need to be fluid, and don't go till at least gas on the hwy is assured and roads are open. Don't go without being self-sufficient for all needs.

Disaster relief for Mulege:

In-kind donations- can be distributed by the Bomberos or by the Padre at the Mission. Some individuals may also distribute on a case by case basis. Bomberos are organized. Love the Padre but the Church is not set up as an outreach affair, so they set up tables or piles at the Mission and people (any people) come and take. Best bet is the Bomberos, that's where ours went after John.

Money- after H.John, International Community Foundation in San Diego set up a fund specifically for Mulege/Santa Rosalia. ICF needs a partner org to handle distribution, and one in Manhattan Beach (maybe its Rotary?) claims StaRosalia as sister city, so they were the conduit. That worked brilliantly. Keep checking their website: http://www.icfdn.org/; they are in San Diego and do a lot around TJ/Ensenada but help w/a variety of Baja, Mainland and other causes. They activated a stand-by fund and internet link on their website at my request after John, and I have contacted them to do the same again this time. ICF may need to think broader than Mulege, Constitucion and outlying poblados were also slammed hard.
Also after H.John, Mulege Student Scholarship Program, Inc, a California non-profit organized a fund for the high school library which was 80% ruined. We can do that again as the library had to have 10 feet of water and all books will be ruined. Wife Ann & I run that org, founded 1987 and we have 135 high school & 49 college graduates to the credit of our Program's sponsors who are all private donors like you and me. Jimena will probably be a different animal, probably more general relief will be needed; we will have to see how that shakes out. If you want to donate thru us, we will see that all proceeds are well spent. Paypal can come thru me: mike at fleming dot cc (not dot com), or you can send a check to MSSPI or spell it out, 1284 Vintage Way, Auburn, CA 95603. If you send by email, I will email back our latest annual report and your receipt; if by mail we will receipt by mail. My current thinking is monitor direct needs and stock up for that, and reserve some leftovers to help the school library (which never got back to pre-John book stacks I'm sorry to report), but I'll post our spending plan as it firms.

gnukid - 9-3-2009 at 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Beachgirl
Doubt there will be a problem.

Relief/charity can be detained at the border indefinitly. They don't turn a kind eye to that sort of thing from the US. In fact, they prefer to see it as an insult. "How dare you North Americans imply that we wont or can't take care of ourselves."
Believe me, this is the prevalent attitude.

Yep, We're loading up with supplies for people in our region who are hit hard-I have collected basic things to facilitate eating, cooking stuff and what non-perishable food we can gather, and simple clothes. From previous experience, its not easy to get across the border over loaded with clearly relief stuff without being accosted a bit but once south its smooth sailing. For this reason I prepare packages to drop off at each stop.

DENNIS - 9-3-2009 at 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Continuing on Dennis' suggestion:
The Mulege donations should be given to those who rebuild on real estate that is safe from future flooding. This is becoming a regular phenomena and rebuilding the same homes makes little sense.

Following Diane's thoughts:
There are few nomads in Constitucion, Lopez Mateos, and San Carlos, but from the sound of it there are more people in trouble there than in Mulege. The contribution of nomads pales with what is required for baja.

Thanks Igor.....Again and again we see the diversity of the problem. Victims are victims...some need assistance and some don't.
I wouldn't want to be the administrator of this fund without guidelines to follow but, wouldn't it be nice if those poor folks in San Carlos, Constitution and Lopez Mateos got a little help? It would be nice if everybody got a little help but, where do you begin?

AcuDoc - 9-3-2009 at 11:27 AM

thoughts are with all of you!!!!!!!!!!

EngineerMike - 9-3-2009 at 11:28 AM

Re: crossing the border w/donations:

There is a new regime in charge at MX Customs. I cannot recommend highly enough, and I rarely shout, DO NOT TRY TO CROSS THE BORDER W/DONATIONS OF GOODS WITHOUT PAYING DUTY!!!!!!

They may not collect any, or they may confiscate your load and fine you. This is going to be what it will be, not what we wish for.

Any donations I collect will be manifested in order to pay the ~15% duty charge for importation of goods. After John a great deal of in-kind donation material crossed with a waive once Mulege was mentioned. This ended after a couple of months, tho exceptions happened even after that. If I don't have to pay the duty, great, more for the next trip as I'm sure there will be at least 3 trips for me at this point. But I PLAN TO STOP & PAY DUTY EACH TIME AND RECOMMEND YOU DO ALSO. Then I'll make the case & see what good will comes. Worst case, there is a 15% or so duty charge to make a donation to Mexico. Their state, their rules. It is what it is, and w/the new Customs regime, please be prepared for the worst (which isn't all that onerous) and expect the best.

Gadget - 9-3-2009 at 11:32 AM

I will do this if you all feel comfortable with me setting it up.

My paypal address is mitchellsd@cox.net to add funds.

I have contacted paypal to determine the following info on fees:
In order to reduce their fees a non profit organization and documents would need to be set up. I don't have that.
Anyone out there have an NPO that we know and trust?
Otherwise the fees are 2.9% + 30 cents, so $3.20 comes out of $100 bucks.

I will contact Jim Christopher to see if he wants to collect the funds as before with John or refer me to someone else. He had 8 feet of mud in his house from John, so I fear their home may be gone from this one.

#####HOLD EVERYTHING#####

See EngineerMikes post
He's the guy
I'm out!

[Edited on 9-3-2009 by Gadget]

Gadget - 9-3-2009 at 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EngineerMike

The mud is till settling. I concur that travel plans need to be fluid, and don't go till at least gas on the hwy is assured and roads are open. Don't go without being self-sufficient for all needs.

In-kind donations- can be distributed by the Bomberos or by the Padre at the Mission. Some individuals may also distribute on a case by case basis. Bomberos are organized. Love the Padre but the Church is not set up as an outreach affair, so they set up tables or piles at the Mission and people (any people) come and take. Best bet is the Bomberos, that's where ours went after John.

Money- after H.John, International Community Foundation in San Diego set up a fund specifically for Mulege/Santa Rosalia. ICF needs a partner org to handle distribution, and one in Manhattan Beach (maybe its Rotary?) claims StaRosalia as sister city, so they were the conduit. That worked brilliantly. Keep checking their website: http://www.icfdn.org/; they are in San Diego and do a lot around TJ/Ensenada but help w/a variety of Baja, Mainland and other causes. They activated a stand-by fund and internet link on their website at my request after John, and I have contacted them to do the same again this time. ICF may need to think broader than Mulege, Constitucion and outlying poblados were also slammed hard.
Also after H.John, Mulege Student Scholarship Program, Inc, a California non-profit organized a fund for the high school library which was 80% ruined. We can do that again as the library had to have 10 feet of water and all books will be ruined. Wife Ann & I run that org, founded 1987 and we have 135 high school & 49 college graduates to the credit of our Program's sponsors who are all private donors like you and me. Jimena will probably be a different animal, probably more general relief will be needed; we will have to see how that shakes out. If you want to donate thru us, we will see that all proceeds are well spent. Paypal can come thru me: mike at fleming dot cc (not dot com), or you can send a check to MSSPI or spell it out, 1284 Vintage Way, Auburn, CA 95603. If you send by email, I will email back our latest annual report and your receipt; if by mail we will receipt by mail. My current thinking is monitor direct needs and stock up for that, and reserve some leftovers to help the school library (which never got back to pre-John book stacks I'm sorry to report), but I'll post our spending plan as it firms.

Legit, tried and true, professionally organized. :saint:
There ya go.
I'm not the guy.

report from BBP Jimena

capt. mike - 9-3-2009 at 11:41 AM

Mid-Baja has suffered major damage. We are getting “real time” reports from different sources including people on the ground in the damage areas as well as the Mexican Red Cross. It is not good. The reports that we have indicate:

Matancitas (Lopez Mateos) Almost 90% of the structures are down or severely damaged. All water, power, telephone, etc. out
Ciudad Constitucion: Most roofs are gone; sever damage to 70% of the buildings. Power, water, telephones are out

Loreto: All power / telephone are down, lines are down, trees and buildings blocking the streets, airport is closed at this time.

Mulege: All power, telephone, water, etc. is out. The water crested three feet above the bridge. Water was two feet deep in the fire station which would mean that almost of the entire town was flooded. There has been reports of loss of life.

Punta Chivato: One person indicates that the wind was over 100 mph before the indicator broke. Damage to almost everything. We should hear about the condition of the strip sometime today

Santa Rosalia: Wall of water came down the canyon and through the town, washed cars, etc. into the ocean.
The Red Cross has been in contact with us today, they are still in the process of determining their needs however, they indicate that they will need our help.

We will be putting out another alert for donations as well as where they are needed. I have taken the position that we will not be bringing things down unless there is a structured means of distributing them.

Skeet/Loreto - 9-3-2009 at 11:42 AM

Dennis: Concentrate on Mulege , Chivato, Sta Rosalilla.

Cuidad Constitution and that area are Highly Masonic and have several Masonic Lodges and the 32 Degree Scottish Rite out of La Paz which have done a great job in the Past in helping the People .

If Hospitals are needed, Constitution all though Hard Hit will have more Medical personnel and closer.

Good Bless all of you and keep you safe!

Skeet

jannyk - 9-3-2009 at 11:45 AM

Mike,

Is BBP accepting Paypal donations?

Hook - 9-3-2009 at 11:49 AM

FINALLY back up after the last time but it wont last as we are inverting and need power for other things.

Radio reports indicate AT LEAST four boats aground inside Bahia San Carlos. One particularly desperate situation has a sailboat on rocks just below a 20 foot sea wall with the main mast banging against it. Bow pulpit gone. Owner, an elderly man with health problems is prostrate on the deck and cant move. Not sure how this is going to end as getting to him is difficult, to say the least.

Weather finally abating in the last half hour but since my last report at 2am, it was the worst of the storm so far and far worse than anything I have ever been in.

That is all. Laptop batts just about kaput. No decent dry place to run a genny right now.

But WE are alive................I am not hopeful for others in this area.

Caliman - 9-3-2009 at 11:52 AM

Has anyone heard how Punta Abreojos did through this storm?

capt. mike - 9-3-2009 at 11:53 AM

they will engage in a fairly heavy relief effort as they did for H. John.

the main pages except forums is accessable for non members and they'll post relief status and plans. they have pilots all ready signed up - they need to get logistics done, and the red cross is in communication.
where to land? ground transport all the stuff to figure out.
Pale verde paved RW probably will be used until Loreto re opens and Serenidad is fixed. sounds like mulege and others got creamed. i'm trying to reach people too. pretty bad day.
we have....had?? a clinic building in Lopez next to the cannery.

Natalie Ann - 9-3-2009 at 11:57 AM

So Mike.... when there is a BBP donation location, will you please post that info here? Many of us would like to help out in this way.

thanks
nena

jannyk - 9-3-2009 at 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Natalie Ann
So Mike.... when there is a BBP donation location, will you please post that info here? Many of us would like to help out in this way.

thanks
nena

Ditto that!

Jan & Max
SF Bay Area

Bajahowodd - 9-3-2009 at 12:04 PM

If the maps are any indication, the storm made landfall quite a bit to the South and East of Abreojos. And I'm still trying to wrap my brain around a picture of the water running three feet OVER the bridge in Mulege.

It's really too bad that the mid-term elections took place a couple of months a go. Had this tragedy taken place before the elections, I would bet the politicians would have been stumbling over each other the work up relief and rebuilding activities.

Charise - i got emails from

capt. mike - 9-3-2009 at 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Charise
My parents are Marv & Cathy Perrigo....they live right on the river a few doors down from the Serinidad. We are very worried and have not heard from them since yesterday. If anyone has news about them, please let me know. We are worried sick about everyone down there.

charisesalivar@yahoo.com

Thank you!

Cathy day before yesterday before it hit and they were getting very prepared. they probably got some water in the house but with John by the time the water got to the outlet it spread so Marv's and Marlin's and the casa granada didn't get as much.

they'll be out of touch a few days but my guess Marv got them thru it.

capt. mike - 9-3-2009 at 12:08 PM

you bet. and you can email them off their site too.

www.bajabushpilots.com

they'll be pretty busy for a while. may be give them a few days.

word will get out. lots of BBP members monitor here.

LB - 9-3-2009 at 12:08 PM

Being in the clothing business, we are in a position to donate new clothing
for children, men and women. Will provide a wholesale invoice for who
every can drive or fly it over the border. EngineerMike, can ship boxes
to you.

We did this for a hurricane that trashed the burrios in Cabo a few years
ago.

EngineerMike U2 me if this works for you.

Loreto

tehag - 9-3-2009 at 12:18 PM

Cell phone again, 12:15PM, 9/3.

No power, no water, cell service marginal, streets mostly open, lots of minor damage; roofs, trees, water intrusion.

arrowhead - 9-3-2009 at 12:21 PM

I think people are starting to realize the problems with trying to mount your own relief effort for the victims of Jimena. It will be difficult to see that the donations get to those in need and it takes a lot of work and organization. There is a better -- and far more efficient way. You can donate money to the International Red Cross and they allow donors to "earmark" the money for specific disasters, like Hurricane Jimena. Those donations would be transferred to the Mexican Red Cross.

The Mexican Red Cross is far more efficient at seeing that aid gets to the right parties. They already have the people, systems and infrastructure for this. They also help Americans in Mexico. There will be a lot less "partners" in the aid, if you get the drift, if it goes through the Red Cross.

http://www.cruzrojaamericana.org/detalle_noticias.asp?SN=204...

I've been reading the Mexican papers this morning. The Mexican Civil Defense is mounting an aid effort in the worst hit areas. It is apparent from the news stories that the Mexican authorities themselves were unaware of the extent of the damage in Mulege until this morning. Also Hwy 1 is impassible in many areas from washouts and blown over trailers blocking the road.

capt. mike - 9-3-2009 at 12:25 PM

wonder how Ray Lima fared? he was in the valley west of town with his totally new group facility.
the water rises when it hits the channels moving east towards town.

Pescador - 9-3-2009 at 12:27 PM

The new bridge just south of Santa Rosalia is wiped out or at least non-passable. That is a major wash that goes by the Federal Police station which is probably not even in existence at this time. The road to Punta Chivato is washed out and not passable at this time. Heavy wind damage and most of the cell phone stations are out. I did talk with Los Frailes this afternoon and while there was a lot of damage in Ejido San Lucas, most buildings are ok, but there was a lot of wind and water in the area.

Bajahowodd - 9-3-2009 at 12:32 PM

Arrowhead's post makes great sense.

Skeet/Loreto - 9-3-2009 at 12:35 PM

LB:

If anyone is taking clothes across please get some older Suitcases , put the clothes there and you will have much better chance getting them thru!!

Cover the Suitcases with wahat looks like sleeping gear, make it look kinda like a bed.

I had to start doing this several years ago with "Warm Jackets for Cold Kids"". Just went thropugh 2 months ago at Tecate with no problem at all, all the way to Constitution where they were delivered.

Sacks of Potatoes, Floor, Beans are three very good things to take dow for food. Can usually get them from a Wholesale Grocer.

Folks it will be sometime before anyone can get all the way to Loreto, Mulege from either direction. and don't forget that you may be able to get to Sta Rosiallia on the ferry from Guaymus. Be sure to call and check first

Mulegena - 9-3-2009 at 12:43 PM

Thanks, Matthew, for starting this thread for Mulege.

I'm not in Mulege now, but speaking of the river's flood action from prior experiences in Mulege, I've seen the river rise and fall in 12 hours.

No guess when water and electrics will be restored.

Francisco of Los Equipales was excellent help last year with food and safe haven continuously post-TS Julio and stored perishable medicine for Lorraine's animal health clinic, and this year appears to be a key player in the aftermath also.

Thanks to all for your continued thoughts of goodwill and concern for everyone in Baja Sur touched by this. I know that everyone's awareness has grown over the last few years, and the communities as government bodies and individuals are far more prepared and cognizant of the inherent concerns.

Mulege

captain4tuna - 9-3-2009 at 12:49 PM

Marie and I wish you all of you in Mulege well. We are so sad and concerned. We have the little 2 story palapa house near the water store on the river. It is probably gone. Does anyone have any photos?

Sharksbaja - 9-3-2009 at 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by arrowhead
I think people are starting to realize the problems with trying to mount your own relief effort for the victims of Jimena. It will be difficult to see that the donations get to those in need and it takes a lot of work and organization. There is a better -- and far more efficient way. You can donate money to the International Red Cross and they allow donors to "earmark" the money for specific disasters, like Hurricane Jimena. Those donations would be transferred to the Mexican Red Cross.

The Mexican Red Cross is far more efficient at seeing that aid gets to the right parties. They already have the people, systems and infrastructure for this. They also help Americans in Mexico. There will be a lot less "partners" in the aid, if you get the drift, if it goes through the Red Cross.

It sounds good Arrow but many folks simply do not believe that Cruz Rojo can be trusted to do the right thing with their donation. There is a lot of mistrust when it comes to the various agencies in any country..

I guess my question is; how would/could we be convinced they "are" doing the right thing?

Johannes - 9-3-2009 at 12:53 PM

News from Loreto
Lynn Hamman reports on Loreto_Community@yahoogroups.com
We had a lot of wind and rain but we did have more rain from Hurricane Juan in 2006. Since it did makelandfall in San Carlos, the electricity is out and I'm told for 4-5 moredays. The water had been shut off prior to the hurricane's arrival forat least four days. People here in Loreto are doing good and reports of not much damage. The people who have generators can run essentialequipment. Some gas stations have generators to pump gas but the lines are long. There's talk about other tropical systems currently below Cabo heading for the Sea of Cortez but I haven't been able to verify that. Some roads are washed out north and south of Loreto but will probably be fixed quickly since it's our main highway. My husband Randy went to check on Puerto Escondido yesterday and there was a rock slide close to Juncalito. I'm sure that has been corrected also. I'm sending this message because Kent and Pam Williams were so gracious to let me use there computer (help of a generator). Hopefully, I'll have more information later.

Our greatest sympathy to Mulege

Sharksbaja - 9-3-2009 at 12:57 PM

Dejavu? No, a recurring nightmare.

We are very saddened by this latest event and our hearts and prayers go out to all of Bajas' courageous people.

After the water recedes help will once again pour into Mulege. I'm afraid though that this time the task may be overwhelming to some of us.

It will be time again to roll up the sleeves and give in one form or another.

There needs to be a serious effort to get the right stuff to the right people. First and formost the town and it's people will need basic goods.

The list will be extensive and important. Simple necessities will be recieved by gracious folks.

Where to start.

Many of us were part of the last flood and relief effort. It was difficult to decide who, what and where the donations should go.

Who should decide whether toilet paper or pumps should be purchased and delivered.

That is why a concerted effort should be made to designate any monies.

Emergency supplies are obviously required and I suggest that in the immediate aftermath it will be next to impossible for us/you to get that stuff down there and to the proper entity.

Medical stuff, tarps, tents, rope, potable water. propane &stoves, canned food, clothing. The list is long but certain stuff will be required and needed asap.

Don't forget about the mosquitos which will follow by a week or so. Bring lots of DEET based repellant.

A list of important and necessary relief supplies should be drawn up. Hopefully the airsrip will be useable in a couple weeks but who knows.

A plan to gather up contributions and haul them down should be made. Many Nomads live in close proximity to the border. Perhaps a drop-site in San Diego could be established.

A consensus should be made as to the nature of disbursing funds.

A concerted effort should be made to pinpoint what is needed asap and what should follow.

I will do what I can short of making all those decisions. It's a helluva responsibility and expect major hurtles.

We need to have a Nomads representative on the ground in Mulege gathering real-time information and sharing it here.

Roger was up here and was due in for a visit but did not show. My feeling is he is headed down. Hopefully he will check in.

We need all the links and connections we can find because all the services being down will create major problems.

Again, may your days ahead bring solace and comfort to others in desparate need of help.

Sharksbaja - 9-3-2009 at 01:06 PM

Our greatest sympathy to Mulege

Dejavu? No, a recurring nightmare.

We are very saddened by this latest event and our hearts and prayers go out to all of Bajas' courageous people.

After the water recedes help will once again pour into Mulege. I'm afraid though that this time the task may be overwhelming to some of us.

It will be time again to roll up the sleeves and give in one form or another.

There needs to be a serious effort to get the right stuff to the right people. First and formost the town and it's people will need basic goods.

The list will be extensive and important. Simple necessities will be recieved by gracious folks.

Where to start.

Many of us were part of the last flood and relief effort. It was difficult to decide who, what and where the donations should go.

Who should decide whether toilet paper or pumps should be purchased and delivered.

That is why a concerted effort should be made to designate any monies.

Emergency supplies are obviously required and I suggest that in the immediate aftermath it will be next to impossible for us/you to get that stuff down there and to the proper entity.

Medical stuff, tarps, tents, rope, potable water. propane &stoves, canned food, clothing. The list is long but certain stuff will be required and needed asap.

Don't forget about the mosquitos which will follow by a week or so. Bring lots of DEET based repellant.

A list of important and necessary relief supplies should be drawn up. Hopefully the airsrip will be useable in a couple weeks but who knows.

A plan to gather up contributions and haul them down should be made. Many Nomads live in close proximity to the border. Perhaps a drop-site in San Diego could be established.

A consensus should be made as to the nature of disbursing funds.

A concerted effort should be made to pinpoint what is needed asap and what should follow.

I will do what I can short of making all those decisions. It's a helluva responsibility and expect major hurtles.

We need to have a Nomads representative on the ground in Mulege gathering real-time information and sharing it here.

Roger was up here and was due in for a visit but did not show. My feeling is he is headed down. Hopefully he will check in.

We need all the links and connections we can find because all the services being down will create major problems.

Again, may your days ahead bring solace and comfort to others in desparate need of help.

oh, and thanks in advance to all the generous and caring Nomads

gnukid - 9-3-2009 at 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
Quote:
Originally posted by arrowhead

It sounds good Arrow but many folks simply do not believe that Cruz Rojo can be trusted to do the right thing with their donation. There is a lot of mistrust when it comes to the various agencies in any country..

I guess my question is; how would/could we be convinced they "are" doing the right thing?

Unfortunately I would agree that few if anyone would trust the cruz roja. Leave it at that. On the other hand I believe individual direct efforts are extremely successful, direct efforts increase the chance for selecting those most in need and the opportunity to be involved has the most benefit for donor and receiver.

EngineerMike - 9-3-2009 at 01:26 PM

re: Road & Electricity

per Bill Havig 2 days ago on his way to Mulege- CFE was everywhere w/their trucks, so the power co. was well mobilized to get repairs kicked into high gear. Their stuff & their guys are pretty mobile so I expect a crazy amount of overtime burnt there. Still likely to take several days to get basic power service back on.

Several reports of bridge south of Sta.Rosalia washed out. I originally guessed that was one of the lower wash bridges constructed after John, but another post says its the big bridge just south of town. These will all get quickie detour crossings bladed in (i.e. we'll be traveling over rocks & gravel). I expect that within 3 or 4 days based on other recent responses by govt. 20 years ago this woulda taken weeks just to get transportation reestablished.

As to individual electric service, if yours flooded- the meter won't work to record usage, but will work to pass electricity. First it needs to be cleaned in the jaws behind the meter to remove gross shorts caused by mud. Pull the meter face (may have to cut the wire clip), hose out meter socket till no more mud runs, then put the meter back in. Power co will come around in a few weeks or months and put a new meter in place. But before turning power on, photo the breaker box so you know what goes back where, pull out all breakers, soak them in clean water & shake out the mud, blow out w/compressor if you can & let dry fully; wire brush the contacts in the panel to remove mud & corrosion which will cause high resistance. Reassemble panel & if you were meticulous you should be good to electrify the service. If you don't understand this, get competent help to follow these instructions. Another tactic- replace all the breakers (these are cheap @ home stores, ~$4 ea.), but you have to scrub all spade contacts as described above or you will have blinky lights and heat generated in the panel that could lead to a fire.
All this presupposes water in reasonable quantities to do the cleaning.

Biblical??

Sharksbaja - 9-3-2009 at 01:34 PM

:wow:

One for the *#!$#! books.

[Edited on 9-3-2009 by Sharksbaja]

DENNIS - 9-3-2009 at 01:38 PM

Quote:
:wow:

One for the *#!$#! books.

Yeah....One for the "Don't think it can't happen here" book. Real Estate offices probably wont be hanging that one on their wall.

Bajahowodd - 9-3-2009 at 01:44 PM

I still can't help but think that despite the awful damage that occurred, and is occurring, it could have been so much worse. Keep in mind that this storm once packed sustained winds of 155mph. Had it, for instance, stayed further to the East and went up the Sea of Cortez, where the water temp was much warmer, it would have maintained cat 3 or 4 strength longer. Had it made landfall in a densely populated area, as a 3 or 4......., well you see what I mean. My heart goes out to all affected.

Cypress - 9-3-2009 at 01:54 PM

Worse than John. How much worse can it get? Our prayers are with the good people of Mulege. They need 'em.

arrowhead - 9-3-2009 at 01:57 PM

Quote:

Well, they've done the "right thing" before.

http://www.redcross.org/portal/site/en/menuitem.1a019a978f42...

http://www.redcross.org/portal/site/en/menuitem.1a019a978f42...

JESSE - 9-3-2009 at 01:58 PM

According to a report from a friend in the goverment, San Carlos, Constitucion, Insurgentes, Loreto, Mulege, and Santa Rosalia report mayor damage. In San Carlos several fishermen homes near the sea have "dissapeared". Airplanes lay upside down in the Constitucion airport. The Insurgentes electric sub estacion has been totally destroyed. Cel phone antenas, electricity poles, down by the hundreds. Mulege reports possible several deaths, specially in the rancherias. And Santa Rosalia reports also mayor damage to roofs. It is unknown the fate of hundreds of small ranches, farms, and homes near arroyos all over the area.

:no:

Mulege

captain4tuna - 9-3-2009 at 02:00 PM

This is horror. I can't beleive this has happened again.
Any news about Jorge Yee's Park? Is he and family allright?
We thank you all for your posts. We'll come down as soon roads allow and help. Our place and alls.

DianaT - 9-3-2009 at 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
According to a report from a friend in the goverment, San Carlos, Constitucion, Insurgentes, Loreto, Mulege, and Santa Rosalia report mayor damage. In San Carlos several fishermen homes near the sea have "dissapeared". Airplanes lay upside down in the Constitucion airport. The Insurgentes electric sub estacion has been totally destroyed. Cel phone antenas, electricity poles, down by the hundreds. Mulege reports possible several deaths, specially in the rancherias. And Santa Rosalia reports also mayor damage to roofs. It is unknown the fate of hundreds of small ranches, farms, and homes near arroyos all over the area.

:no:

Really awful. :no::no:

The tracking and computer models still show Jimena as declining to a tropical depression, but coming back west over Baja and dropping a lot more rain?

I really thought that once it hit the Sea of Cortez it would not turn back west as in the past. Maybe someone with some one can explain it?

More rain is not needed.

lindsay - 9-3-2009 at 02:02 PM

Thanks everyone for all the updates...I spoke with Sandra Dibble from the SD Union and urged her to update the info on the devastation in Mulege, St. Rosalia and other areas. She said that she would update her editors on the situation and I also posted a comment at the end of the UT's current story about Jimena for SD readers to check this website for info on relief efforts once they get organized so as mentioned by others, I know that we will all help out and keep our friends in Baja Sur in our thoughts & prayers

arrowhead - 9-3-2009 at 02:03 PM

I just looked at the current visible satellite loop and -- believe it or not -- the center of Jimena is still spinning away only about 50 miles northeast of Santa Rosalia over the Sea of Cortez. That large white cloud mass over Sonora is the upper part of Jimena that sheared off and took off to the east. You have to look at the visible satellite image. The IR image does not show the eye of Jimena.

I wonder if it will build strength over the water. The sea surface temperatures are very warm.

HaciendaCerritos - 9-3-2009 at 02:06 PM

Maybe I'm off base - but being a former boat owner, I can't help but feel that bringing stuff in by boat may be an option. Is it possible/reality to attempt to get stuff to San Carlos on the mainland or even Guyamus and then a 2 day trip across the SOC to Mulege? As it seems nobody can go from south to North or north to south by road and airstrips are questionable. Is there anyone on the mainland that has a boat that can ferry supplies that perhaps could be flown in to their position?

Is this reasonable?

[Edited on 9-3-2009 by HaciendaCerritos]

Bajahowodd - 9-3-2009 at 02:07 PM

Upper atmospheric winds are in control now. It is interesting that a few days ago, a popular model was to have the storm end up in the Sonora area. Another model had it veering West back to the Pacific. Looks like the baby got split in half.

jannyk - 9-3-2009 at 02:14 PM

The latest 'Advisory' (2pm) states the following:

.."...JIMENA STILL A TROPICAL STORM...

AT 2 PM PDT...2100 UTC...ALL TROPICAL STORM WARNINGS ON THE BAJA
CALIFORNIA PENINSULA HAVE BEEN DISCONTINUED.

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM HUATABAMPITO TO
BAHIA KINO. THE TROPICAL WARNING NORTH OF BAHIA KINO HAS BEEN
DISCONTINUED...."

But looking at the satellite pics and the 'cone' graphic, I'd say there's still plenty of moisture to worry about.

:(

Skeet/Loreto - 9-3-2009 at 02:23 PM

There is Ferry service from Guaymus to Sta Rosllia but it will depend on the Weather on its sailing as well as whether or not there is damage to jhe Slip in Sta Roasilla. I saw one report that cars were floated down the main street and into the water.

I would think that some boats could come up from La Paz as well.

I know that in the past Seawatch has a large boat in La Paz.

JESSE - 9-3-2009 at 02:28 PM

No boats (other than military) will be allowed in the waters for at least 48hrs after the storm. Too much debris floating around.

Again, let me be clear:

toneart - 9-3-2009 at 02:30 PM

Mulege is my community and they were hit hard. To what extent we still don't have many details. Being that Mulege is my concentration, that is where I am concentrating my efforts to get a fund or some funds going, to hold until the best solution for distribution can emerge.

That is not to say that other individuals have their own communities which need help. You people concentrate on those. Also, there may be general funds to be distributed to several different communities.

I am suggesting that any funds earmarked for Mulege should eventually be given to the Mulege Rotarians. Let them decide the best way to distribute. The Rotarians in Mulege are comprised of both North Americans and local Mexican residents. They have a world wide network of fellow chapters. They are absolutely trustworthy! Jim Christopher cannot communicate now, but I am sure that when he can, he will be able to advise the fund collectors how to proceed.

I saw a post by Skipjack Joe that mentioned that no funds should go to real estate that is vulnerable. (I am paraphrasing). To me this sounds like an inference suggesting that we would be soliciting funds for we river dwellers. I guess he felt he had to say that, but I really don't know anybody who would entertain such an idea. Should there be any doubt, bite your tongue!

Our rush to set up funding is completely altruistic!!! Such funds are to benefit the local townspeople. We have done this before and we have the history, documentation and credibility to see it through.

Stay focused people! When the waters recede the picture will become clearer. This is not a contest. Those who want to help are indeed good people. In spite of differences in philosophy or politics, we North Americans are known for our generosity when it comes to disaster relief. We are just doing what we do. :yes:

HaciendaCerritos - 9-3-2009 at 02:31 PM

Hey LaPaz Nomads - anyone have contacts with boat/ship owners who may be willing to get stuff up to Mulege? Shoot, if we can find someone, I'll personally go buy supplies and put it on the boat/ship. We gotta get help up there NOW. This could have been us we're all talking about here, or any one of you for that matter. Let's put our resources together and get something moving. Rapido!!

I'm fairly sure that if a boat/ship were to pull up with supplies, there are many people there who can help with off loading to a padre, red cross, police (oh forget that one)... but you know what I mean?

EngineerMike - 9-3-2009 at 02:33 PM

Discussion w/folks in town before it hit leads me to think overall there was more preparation for this than for past storms, by a good margin. Preps started early and a lot of work went into it. Muleginos are getting pretty gun shy about cloud cover.

I expect loss of life, at least in town to be limited. Ranchos maybe different as infrastructure is not as good and if anybody ventured out to save "stuff" they put themselves in jeopardy.

Yee's park had to be under water. Footage from John showed rooftops awash; this time I'm guessing they were not visible. But if anybody was in the floodplain it was not because they had no warning.

EngineerMike - 9-3-2009 at 02:43 PM

I'll repeat this post from the Jimena thread. I haven't heard back from ICF as of this posting; I know they have several irons in the fire:

toneart - 9-3-2009 at 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HaciendaCerritos
Hey LaPaz Nomads - anyone have contacts with boat/ship owners who may be willing to get stuff up to Mulege? Shoot, if we can find someone, I'll personally go buy supplies and put it on the boat/ship. We gotta get help up there NOW. This could have been us we're all talking about here, or any one of you for that matter. Let's put our resources together and get something moving. Rapido!!

I'm fairly sure that if a boat/ship were to pull up with supplies, there are many people there who can help with off loading to a padre, red cross, police (oh forget that one)... but you know what I mean?

Good idea, Hacienda...
A ship would have to anchor out and supplies could be brought in by smaller craft to the Lighthouse area. I am not even sure about the condition of the boat ramp or the docking wall there, or the depth.

The Mexican Navy would probably be the ones to coordinate with.

toneart - 9-3-2009 at 02:47 PM

Mike,

As I understand, the Bomberos physical facility was badly damaged; flooded and roof blown off.

CaboMagic - 9-3-2009 at 02:49 PM

First am happy to know Bob & Susan are ok .. agree its good to hear so.

In reading as much of the ongoing Jimena thread as I could, it seems there will be a much more complicated series of issues to be addressed.

During HJohn we did exactly as we said - and when it became clear that the govt was getting involved we diverted funds to purchase water and supplies and Tommy used his connex to get govt trucks to deliver .. photos taken and posted to provide veracity and visuals which were both hearwarming and inspirational.

This natural disaster has caused a widespread area of tragedy .. We will provide services as described if asked - We can be a receiving and sending unit - provided there are those on receiving end who will ensure funds are disbursed to donators satisfaction .. Toneart I think your rotary connex are great - ask them if they are set up for recieving wires if they want us to be the receiving stateside .. Logisitcally we could work out details since clearly it will be a short bit of time before supplies would even be available for purchase ...

I do like Haciendcerritos' idea of sending boats up SOC from LaPaz .. we have family there and can assist in coordination if asked ..

Deep breaths ...

Sharksbaja our thoughts to you ~ we recall the enormous yomans effort you undertook ..

I dont recall who wrote that material possessions can be replaced .. people tho cannot .. we are sad to learn of anyones loss ..

I will copy & paste post this into the Jimena thread as it gets so much looking at ..

Also we posted on our website about this thread to bring more attention too.

CaboMagic - 9-3-2009 at 02:51 PM

First am happy to know Bob & Susan are ok .. agree its good to hear so.

In reading as much of the ongoing Jimena thread as I could, it seems there will be a much more complicated series of issues to be addressed.

During HJohn we did exactly as we said - and when it became clear that the govt was getting involved we diverted funds to purchase water and supplies and Tommy used his connex to get govt trucks to deliver .. photos taken and posted to provide veracity and visuals which were both hearwarming and inspirational.

This natural disaster has caused a widespread area of tragedy .. We will provide services as described if asked - We can be a receiving and sending unit - provided there are those on receiving end who will ensure funds are disbursed to donators satisfaction .. Toneart I think your rotary connex are great - ask them if they are set up for recieving wires if they want us to be the receiving stateside .. Logisitcally we could work out details since clearly it will be a short bit of time before supplies would even be available for purchase ...

I do like Haciendcerritos' idea of sending boats up SOC from LaPaz .. we have family there and can assist in coordination if asked ..

Deep breaths ...

Sharksbaja our thoughts to you ~ we recall the enormous yomans effort you undertook ..

I dont recall who wrote that material possessions can be replaced .. people tho cannot .. we are sad to learn of anyones loss ..

I will copy & paste post this into the Jimena thread as it gets so much looking at ..

Also we posted on our website about this thread to bring more attention too.

What About Air Drops of Supplies ?

ElFaro - 9-3-2009 at 02:58 PM

Since we are on to exploring ideas for helping...How about an armada of private planes making air drops of supplies?

toneart - 9-3-2009 at 03:16 PM

A friend just emailed this to me. I am passing it along as information:

There is a nationwide social services agency called DIF.
Here is a link to their web site:
http://www.dif.sip.gob.mx/en/

It follows the structure of the government. That is, the national leader is the president's wife, the state leader is the governor's wife. The Mulege group is made up of three people, the wife of the delegado, Yvonne Porras (wife of Javier the plumber), and another lady whose name escapes me.

I have worked with them many times on distribution of emergency foodstuffs, clothing, and medical supplies. Jim Christopher also is aware of them. They probably will have a good handle on who needs what. The are active in the ranchos and remote areas also.

Their Mulege office is in the delegacion right next to the police. They might be a good resource for advice or help with distribution of supplies (not cash).

Vince - 9-3-2009 at 03:17 PM

Rather than an airdrop, it would be better to land at Palo Verde airstrip north of town. Only military can do the airdrops with safety. Serenedad will be too muddy for awhile.

toneart - 9-3-2009 at 03:19 PM

A friend just emailed this information to me:

There is a nationwide social services agency called DIF.
Here is a link to their web site:
http://www.dif.sip.gob.mx/en/

It follows the structure of the government. That is, the national leader is the president's wife, the state leader is the governor's wife. The Mulege group is made up of three people, the wife of the delegado, Yvonne Porras (wife of Javier the plumber), and another lady whose name escapes me.

I have worked with them many times on distribution of emergency foodstuffs, clothing, and medical supplies. Jim Christopher also is aware of them. They probably will have a good handle on who needs what. The are active in the ranchos and remote areas also.

Their Mulege office is in the delegacion right next to the police. They might be a good resource for advice or help with distribution of supplies (not cash).

EngineerMike - 9-3-2009 at 03:21 PM

Baja Bush Pilots out of Chandler, AZ will organize air support. They have done it before with great success. They have a Jimena update on their home page: http://www.bajabushpilots.com/ and may take new volunteers "under their wing" so to speak for the aerial armada.

After H.John they had various fixed & rotary wing craft making runs up & down the Sea of Cortez coast dropping supplies, picking up news, getting govt officials in/out of isolated places. If you have an aircraft & want to volunteer, that is the place to call. Their home base will assist in making flight plan filing, etc. as will be needed to enter Mexico. Nobody is more welcome in Baja than the Bush Pilots.

vgabndo - 9-3-2009 at 03:27 PM

Hey Sharks...Brother I am SOOOO sorry. You must be beside yourself. I'm am sitting here remembering my grief at loosing our place, but this is tempered by a smug satisfaction that we did not throw good money after bad. It was REALLY hard to walk away from that village, but it was the only thing that made sense for us. If this storm effected San Nicolas' the same way John and Julio did, even the wreckage of our old place will probably be gone. It turned concrete slabs upsidedown LAST time. I can't stop worrying about my friends there.
Peace and blessings man. All I can do is let you know that you and your beautiful spot are in my thoughts.

Sharksbaja - 9-3-2009 at 03:29 PM

Like Tony said, altruistic. Thanks CaboMagic, hopefully the equipment the Nomads purchased just for this type event were moved to higher ground?

This forum is chockfull of giving caring people eager to help. That needs addressing. The sooner we can get someone on the ground in Mulege to expidite the incoming money and supplies the better.

People will forget fast so now is the time to get this up and running. Money can be tranferred to either Mulege or Sta. Rosalia via BOA or via Western Union , which ever works. You need THAT PERSON IN MULEGE to become the recipient who can get the cash and get it to where it's needed asap.

Unfortunately our Nomad on the ground who helped us out is no longer there.

Aside from that, I think basic shelter and cooking stuff should be addressed formost.

Tents, tarps, rope, stakes Pots, pans, water, food, clothes, TP.
Can somone get a manufacturer or Corp chain.

The military was awesome after John. Let us hope they can do it again.

I gotta go to work.....more thoughts later..... bless all you who care.

gnukid - 9-3-2009 at 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HaciendaCerritos

The roads are open to passenger vehicles who can arrive to locations in need in less time in the coming days and weeks, boats are far less efficient, yachts are not an effective plan of action.

gnukid - 9-3-2009 at 03:49 PM

Can some of you offer some estimate of the population who may have lost housing/shelter? Either based on evidence or anecdotal, it seems this might help overall to understand the impact and encourage appropriate assistance.

For example in the region most affected from San Carlos/Lopez Mateos to Guerrero Negro what is the total population by your educated estimate? And how many are estimated to have lost shelter or suffered serious damage?

I am estimating and looking for anecdotal sources of current information about total pop. and est. number of affected pop.

The actual pop. of La Paz and its surrounding metropolis is estimated to be about 300,000 in 2005 though it may be more likely 350,000-400,000 by my estimate today. The border cities are Comitan, el Centenario, el Zacatal and San Pedro. La Paz is now reported to be the third largest metropolis in Mexico.

To the North is Lopez Mateos/San Carlos, Ciudad de Constituccion which has more than 50,000, Loreto, previously the capital, has 10,000-15,000 (5,000 homes have been built in the last two years). Ciudad Insurgentes is next, a huge city with 10,000 to 20,000, Mulege has 5,000-7,000 many of whom are devastated.

LB - 9-3-2009 at 04:00 PM

EngineerMike expected 50 to 60 Mexicano familes washed out of homes or lost homes. I am sending him enough new clothing to cloth these familes
if not more (adult men and women, children, teens). That does not included underwear, shoes, and not alot of pants. He will be delivering them to the fire station. This information is so those of you donating goods will know
what will be inroute.

gnukid - 9-3-2009 at 04:06 PM

I am guessing that loss of shelter is in the area of 5k-20k people but looking for any data points to support this from North of LP to GN?

Bajahowodd - 9-3-2009 at 04:07 PM

gnukid- I think you mean that La Paz is the third largest metropolis in Baja.

One of the greatest challenges for Mulege is that what makes it special also makes it problematic. Lack of infrastructure, distance to larger towns, including the port of Santa Rosalia and the airport at Loreto. There's no backup available nearby.

Pages:  1  ..  7    9    11  ..  14