BajaNomad

San Diegan To Hike Baja Peninsula

Pages:  1  ..  7    9    11  ..  16

somomule - 12-23-2010 at 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup
Want to look ten years younger.... take a walk with a donkey over 500 miles..

Wow does Mike look healthy...

Good he has a place to get rested and have a nice christmas ..... and all get a break from tear down and set up every day...

And to be with some nice folks..... a nice Christmas present to all

Merry Christmas.. Happy New Year...

I was just thinking the same thing and started writing how great Mike looks then saw your post. Ditto, Ditto, night and day from when he started! Looking good dude!

[Edited on 12-23-2010 by somomule]

[Edited on 12-23-2010 by somomule]

BajaGringo - 12-23-2010 at 10:20 AM

Enjoy the holidays Mike & crew. A wonderful Christmas present has been given to you and I know it will be a big part of your memories from this trip...

shari - 12-23-2010 at 10:24 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yubgf6eC_4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ib1iiRCsMk

here is a little clip to put you in that Christmas spirit...HO HO HO

[Edited on 12-23-2010 by shari]

David K - 12-23-2010 at 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Barbareno...at our soltice soiree, we really missed you and in your honour Suzanna made Paralysers with that bottle of Kahlua you left behind...so this toast was for you guys! and Mike's first taste of our local favorite special beverage...cheers amigos.

HOW do you make a Paralyser??? :?:

Is it like a Mt. Diablo Mudslide?? :light:

:cool:

shari - 12-23-2010 at 11:21 AM

Barbareno kept all of us in a very merry mood with her Paralysers...vodka, kahlua, milk and topped off with a splash of coke...yummy and silly.

caution needed or this might happen to you...here is Mike bailando at the surf torneo...pretty funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgRrZ7182Is

Brian L - 12-23-2010 at 11:44 AM

Loving the videos! Merry Christmas All

BAJACAT - 12-23-2010 at 09:46 PM

Quote:
Barbareno kept all of us in a very merry mood with her Paralysers...vodka, kahlua, milk and topped off with a splash of coke...yummy and silly.

caution needed or this might happen to you...here is Mike bailando at the surf torneo...pretty funny

Shari that looks to me, that some serious Burro abuse it's going on in BA...remember Burros are sacred in MX..:lol::lol: happy holydays Asuncion, hope to see you soon..

BajaNomad - 12-23-2010 at 10:08 PM

Quote:

Dec. 25, 2010

David K - 12-26-2010 at 05:23 PM

Mike sent out a SPOT signal from Bahia Asuncion on Christmas... He has been there since Dec. 19.

The signal came from a home up the hill from the main street, not Juan y Shari's where we have seen photos and videos from.

DENNIS - 12-26-2010 at 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Mike sent out a SPOT signal from Bahia Asuncion on Christmas... He has been there since Dec. 19.

He'll be there a little while longer. He has company coming in.

woody with a view - 12-26-2010 at 06:42 PM

by the looks on Donkay's grill, he can't get outta town fast enough.

when was the last time a donkey got so much attention? in a loving kinda way, guey?:?::?::?:

i'm just sayin'

shari - 12-26-2010 at 08:55 PM

Feliz Navidad todos...MIke has been having a blast meeting the fine folks here in the village...Christmas day we pulpo frito at our place then went to Javier... Juan's uncles place where they played music and had a traditional carne asada...dancing, tecate, music, stories...laughter.
Mike is fitting in well as is Don Kay but is getting itchy feet...not sure how "rested" Mike will be but he sure is having fun....our neices and nephews love him.

DSC07151-1.JPG - 48kB

shari - 12-26-2010 at 08:59 PM

I forgot to mention that mike has taken up shore fishing and caught 3 corvina his first time out....come on surfdoc...lets see the photos!!!

and here he is with our nephew playing with a dinosaur.

DSC07152-1.JPG - 47kB

BajaGringo - 12-26-2010 at 09:12 PM

Mike has really benefited from the days spent with you guys. I can really see the "recharged" look on his face when comparing the first pictures you posted and the latest.

Or is it all that great Holiday Cheer???

:lol:

You guys are the best...

PS - Tell him to post again before taking off!

[Edited on 12-27-2010 by BajaGringo]

woody with a view - 12-26-2010 at 09:43 PM

Ron is on to the sentiment that the local folks of Baja must impart on the regular people who wander into the zone........

David K - 12-26-2010 at 09:48 PM

Yes Shari... does he want to share any of his future plans... or just let him go where the Don Kay walks?

Is Baja Blanca getting ready for his arrival in La Bocana, 47 miles away (or about 4 Don Kay days)?

shari - 12-27-2010 at 10:16 AM

Mike is hanging here a bit longer to welcome a special guest arriving today and to attend Asuncion's 1st bicultural wedding...Nan&;D's daughter Micah and her beau Jeremiah are marrying on our beach tomorrow with a big reception at the Gallery in the evening....whew....so many festivities!!

After that we plan to walk with Mike for a bit along the beach to Los Chorros...he will likely take a few days stopping at rancho San Andres for food and water, then Punta Prieta, San Hipolito and on to La Bocana where Blanca can spoil him...then to Abreojos and towards San Ignacio...he is very much looking forward to the next few months.

David K - 12-27-2010 at 10:54 AM

Thanks for the update!

I was in Palm Desert at the in-laws for Christmas weekend and saw the Spot signal in my email on the 25th. My limited Interent able phone couldn't see where the signal came from... so I had presumed he began his next leg on Saturday. When we got home yesterday, I saw he was still in Asuncion.

BajaBlanca - 12-27-2010 at 05:31 PM

yes !!!! we are ready for Mike and whew .... thank goodness you went and got him Juan and Shari !!! jeez.... to think he was thinking of bypassing all this fun hahahaha

we are ready for him .... whenever he gets here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David K - 12-27-2010 at 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
yes !!!! we are ready for Mike and whew .... thank goodness you went and got him Juan and Shari !!! jeez.... to think he was thinking of bypassing all this fun hahahaha

we are ready for him .... whenever he gets here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike told me there was a mis-communication... He never intended to bi-pass you guys out there... He said that he is going to skip walking across the peninsula to Loreto and back over the mountains again as he heads south.

BajaNomad - 12-28-2010 at 08:17 AM

Quote:
After that we plan to walk with Mike for a bit along the beach to Los Chorros...he will likely take a few days stopping at rancho San Andres for food and water, then Punta Prieta, San Hipolito and on to La Bocana where Blanca can spoil him...then to Abreojos and towards San Ignacio...he is very much looking forward to the next few months.

Mike indicated last night that he's staying for the wedding today, but getting everything packed and ready so he can be ready to leave first thing in the morning tomorrow.

He figures he's 2, but more probably 3 days away from Blanca in La Bocana.

Biggest thing Mike conveyed to me is his plan to now stay along the Pacific coast from Asuncion, through to La Purisima, and beyond (not remembering on points further south than Insurgentes/Constitucion). He's very disappointed to not (now) be going through Loreto - where there are friends absolutely expecting him to do so. The bottom-line consideration though was to avoid the challenges the mountains would present for he and Don-Kay.

-
Doug

Dec. 19-28 Map

David K - 12-28-2010 at 08:46 AM

shari - 12-28-2010 at 09:31 AM

we had the honour of entertaining some VERY special guests...Mr. Baja Nomad himself and his lovey family are here with us...finally.

Here is Doug, Ryland Michelle getting to know Don Kay.

DSC07167-1.JPG - 46kB

BajaGringo - 12-28-2010 at 09:35 AM

Way to go Doug! Are you staying through New years???

surfdoc - 12-29-2010 at 09:22 AM

Just to let everyone know Mike behaved himself at the wedding last night.

And with a well rested DonKay and Solo he left this morning at 0900 our time. They looked great and Susanna and milo were going to walk the first few miles with them.

Blanca he should be there in a few...enjoy!

Was great seeing and getting to know Mike .... Will post pictures abit later.

David K - 12-29-2010 at 10:16 AM

Thanks for the update surfdoc!

If he maintains his best-so-far pace, he should be in La Bocana in 3 days.

Mulegena - 12-29-2010 at 03:26 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the update surfdoc!

If he maintains his best-so-far pace, he should be in La Bocana in 3 days.

Yes, Surfdoc, glad all went well and you'll be sharing some pix soon. Congratulations to all.

and... I hope he lingers in San Hipolito a bit. What a fun little fish pueblo it is-- how not, Juan's relatives live there. They treated me royally last summer when my car got stuck, pulled me outta da sand and whisked me off to a fun birthday party. I barely made it to Asuncion by nightfall.

Mike and Crew should have a great time on this stretch of the journey. Bon Ton, Guys!

Dec. 29, 2010

David K - 12-29-2010 at 06:20 PM

Mike, Don-Kay, and Solo walked about 15 miles today... The adventure continues!! Spot signal came in just after 4 pm PST.

Brian L - 12-29-2010 at 07:20 PM

Wonder how the rain was down there, hopefully it stayed north of the border and kept them dry!

shari - 12-29-2010 at 07:31 PM

No rain today..partly cloudy and kinda chilly. Mike had a nice low tide to walk the beach some of the way while we were all curing hangovers from the wonderful wedding last night...first beach wedding ever in Asuncion and also first extranjero boda as well...it was amazing and then many of us went to the big dance at the cancha afterwards to the quinceanera....whew...pics later.

It was so much fun hanging with Mike listening to his crazy stories...he burned up the miles today...I thought he might stop at San Rafael ranch but he kept truckin...weather looks like it's gonna be cool the next few days...good for making miles.

I would like to thank Red Mesa Suzanne for taking MIke and Sola Vino to the vet in Vizcaino to get her shots and some birth control...awesome favour!!! We will all miss Don Kay's(and Mike's) loud braying in Campo Sirena.

What d'ya say some of you Nomads in the Cape area organize a welcome to the finish line fiesta for Mike in Cabo???? He would be happy to have a welcoming party and can share his stories with you all.

BajaNomad - 12-29-2010 at 11:23 PM

I left before Mike - missed the wedding too. We were at Requeson in B. Concepcion last night, had breakfast at Restaurant Playa Buenaventura this morning, and dinner at Tres Virgenes restaurant in La Paz earlier this evening. Will be back in Conception Bay for New Year's Eve.

Surprised Mike behaved himself with Surfdoc, as look at how jealous Mike was of Surfdoc luvvin up Don-Kay!:

(short interview with Mike to come when I can get it uploaded to youtube).

donkayluv.JPG - 48kB

BajaNomad - 12-29-2010 at 11:25 PM

Naah... Mike was happy, happy, happy.....

mike.JPG - 48kB

BajaNomad - 12-29-2010 at 11:28 PM

Especially with Shari and the Asuncion "crew" for being such great hosts for him.

sharinmike.jpg - 49kB

longlegsinlapaz - 12-30-2010 at 08:08 AM

Great Pics Doug....in the pic with surfdoc, the expression in both Mike's & DonKay's eyes is remarkably similar! :yes:

shari - 12-30-2010 at 08:37 AM

hope Mike had his tarps well rigged up last night because we got a surprise downpour with high winds in the middle of the night...MIke might have some soggy boots to walk in today!...sun's out now though.

surfdoc - 12-30-2010 at 10:05 AM

LOL
Miss DonKay.. we became very close, starting by helping him into the truck in Vizcaino. Thats a story i'll save for Mike whens he's done, along with our side trips getting back to Asuncion..

Having a problem getting my pix's to load.. but will continue trying.. Hope he found cover at the old salt mine camps at la Salina.. Rain and wind hit the hardest at 0300... that would make for a very grumpy walk today..

[Edited on 12-30-2010 by surfdoc]

BajaGringo - 12-30-2010 at 12:47 PM

I thought about Mike and crew last night as we were hit with very high winds and rain. Hope they came through OK.

Great job Shari - you truly are an angel...

BajaBlanca - 12-30-2010 at 04:22 PM

we are here and ready for don kay and mike and solo :))))))))))))))

Dec. 30, 2010

David K - 12-30-2010 at 05:56 PM

Mike covered about 10 miles today (if he took the road through San Hipolito)... He is now 20 miles from La Bocana.

David K - 12-31-2010 at 12:40 AM

Quote:
we are here and ready for don kay and mike and solo :))))))))))))))

Blanca, Mike is camping 20 miles from you... His best day's walk is 16 miles, I recall... That means he will be 4 or more miles short of La Bocana for New Years Eve... unless he gets an earlier start and can walk 20 miles?

Maybe you can go over with a bottle of champagne tomorrow night if he doesn't make it all the way into la Bocana???:light::bounce:

==========================================================

DEC. 31 2010:

Mike and Don-Kay and Solo walked about 15 miles on Friday, Dec. 31 and were just over 5 miles from La Bocana on New Years Eve!

[Edited on 1-2-2011 by David K]

shari - 1-2-2011 at 10:03 AM

New Years Eve day, a bunch of us went to San Hipolito to visit tita & bimbo for pulpo & langosta. We took the opportunity to hook up with Mike and Don Kay we found walking in an arroyo...we had heard about the partying they did the night before with the san hipolito folks and figured Mike might need a cold beer.

Don Kay was happy for a drink too and he shared it with Sola vino too which was very sweet of him.

after drinking his water, Don Kay rested his big head on the truck for a good bit while we had a nice visit with Mike leaving him with some cold Tecate(mexican champagne) and some chicken for dinner.

Though a tad hungove, Mike was in excellent spirits and looking forward to a shower at Blanca's new year's day...he is there now eating Les's polish food!!

BajaBlanca - 1-2-2011 at 10:13 AM

yup !!! He didn't make it for New Year's Eve and the incredible party we had, but he made it here yesterday for New Year's Day !!

Right now he is on the front porch catching up on his writing and emails and just enjoying the view ....

[Edited on 1-2-2011 by BajaBlanca]

osprey in front.JPG - 29kB

David K - 1-2-2011 at 10:39 AM

No SPOT signal sent from Mike on Jan. 1... but, it seems he is at La Bocana now from the posts above!

BajaBlanca - 1-2-2011 at 10:50 AM

He is indeed here !!

He got here yesterday and showered and relaxed and forgot his responibilities :lol:

Right now, he is out walking about town :yes:

Don Kay is at Dr Romero's house hanging out with horses

Solo is out walking too ..... it is a gorgeous day here. Everyone must still be hungover 'cause there is total silence everywhere.

David K - 1-2-2011 at 10:51 AM

Thanks Blanca... tell him to not forget to push the Spot button.... no matter how bad his hangover is!! LOL:lol::lol::rolleyes:

DENNIS - 1-2-2011 at 10:53 AM

In the fotos above, Mike is starting to look like he just walked out of the Bible.

surfdoc - 1-2-2011 at 11:00 AM

Hey Blanca, watch Mike with the Vientecinco peso Sancho.

He knows what that means...:D

BajaGringo - 1-2-2011 at 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
In the fotos above, Mike is starting to look like he just walked out of the Bible.

Is he bringing some new commandments???

:lol::lol::lol:

BajaNomad - 1-2-2011 at 11:27 AM

Here's my promised "interview" moment with Mike last week at Shari's in Bahia Asuncion (finally a chance to upload the very large file from Baja Cactus in El Rosario). I asked him about why he was sometimes seeming as though he was on a timeline (and "itchy" to get going) when I originally understood it to be a "get there when I get there" type of trip (though 6 months was "the plan"). I also asked him about what's planned for his arrival in Los Cabos... and found out about his version of "2-Buck Chuck" in Mexico. We also found out about a change in course for him - and that he will NOT be visiting his friends in Loreto on his way south with Don-Kay and Solo. He felt (very) bad about not getting to Loreto (where he has a home and friends that originally scoffed at his notion to make a trip such as this), but knew it was the right decision for he and Don-Kay to follow a course that will not take another course.

Both the day I filmed this video and the following day in speaking to Mike - I was impressed by how much he had prepared in the prior year for this trip. As often happens when we travel to Mexico, we need to make adjustments, and such has happened with Mike. These adjustments Mike has made frequently have to do with making the trip a more comfortable one for Don-Kay. He's definitely being conscientious about Don-Kay.

Buen viaje amigo!

longlegsinlapaz - 1-2-2011 at 11:37 AM

Great tape....thanks Doug!!!

DENNIS - 1-2-2011 at 11:40 AM

Thanks Doug.
Mezcal??? Just say NO. Used to start campfires with the stuff.
That tumbler in his hand should be full of Don Julio. Oh well....maybe in Cabo.

shari - 1-2-2011 at 11:52 AM

that is a classic video!!!

So....what do you say Nomads...can we pull something together to welcome Mike when he arrives at the tip? Perhaps some Cabo or close to there Nomads can organize something of an arrival party for them.

In our last converstation with Mike, I asked him what his plans were after he arrived and he hasnt really thought about it....he is focusing on just getting to Cabo.

He did suggest that he wants to take Don Kay back to the states with him somehow. So I was thinking that maybe someone could lend him or even better...take him back north towing a horse trailer or something Don Kay could ride in...a pick up with sides??? So lets start thinking about this and seeing if someone cant come up with a ride.

Also, anyone know what the deal is with quarentine for DonKay..how long,how much $ it costs etc? Mike doesnt have much spare cash and may need some help with this too...as mentioned in the video, he is worried if he takes longer on his trek, he wont have his rent covered.

So....come on Nomads...lets get working on helping Mike out!

Jan. 1-2, 2011

David K - 1-2-2011 at 01:06 PM

Mike arrived in La Bocana on New Years Day and posted his location the following morning (today, Sunday):

DENNIS - 1-2-2011 at 01:20 PM

Quote:
Also, anyone know what the deal is with quarentine for DonKay..

I used to do photography work for the local Charro Association and they would take their horses across the border to stateside Charreadas. It was easier for them to haul their animals to the border, between gates, and ride them across. Of course, that was some time ago and the border has changed....so they say.
No problem coming home.
The Charros are the third [I think it's third] "line of defense" of the government in Mexico. It says so in their Constitution. Those guns they carry are real.

Dennis

desertcpl - 1-2-2011 at 01:46 PM

is this how you rode across the border when you was a young man

[Edited on 1-2-2011 by desertcpl]

[Edited on 1-2-2011 by desertcpl]

Horseback-Pancho-Villa.jpg - 43kB

shari - 1-2-2011 at 01:48 PM

hey dennis...that would be easy all right...can someone please ask at the border when they cross if one CAN ride a burro across the border....it would make for a great public relations story for the san diego papers too!!

David K - 1-2-2011 at 06:46 PM

Quote:
Mike arrived in La Bocana on New Years Day and posted his location the following morning (today, Sunday):

Just a bump because Mike signalled his location this morning instead of yesterday afternoon, so he is in La Bocana (I presume) again tonight.

BajaBlanca - 1-2-2011 at 06:51 PM

yup ..... we have him here !!!

NOW - WE HAVE HIM SET UP TO STAY WITH JUANITA AT CASA LEREE (THANKS JUANITA) when he does leave - maybe in two days ... but we need a connections for him at LAGUNA SAN IGNACIO and at LA PURISSIMA ... Does anyone have a phone number for Antonio's Whale watching ??? Or know someone at L a Purissima ???

woody with a view - 1-2-2011 at 07:08 PM

you need a connection from purisima to ignacio? even the other way around, mikey should expect 100ish miles of nothing in between, except a few fishing villages that get no internet. he'll be on a single track, on his own, but totally do-able.... surfers blazed that trail. i don't think don-kay would have an issue with it!

BajaBlanca - 1-3-2011 at 08:48 AM

it would be nice for Mike to have someone like perhaps Antonio in Laguna San Igancio, expecting for him, so I am trying to get into contact with them there. If I understand the trajectory - it will be la bocana - san ignacio - laguna san ignacio - scorpion bay and then onto la purissima.

And we have a couple people in la bocana who know ranchers in between - we have heard that the area is flat and do-able and that there is water at these ranches

Does anyone here live or know someone in scorpion bay or la purissima ? That is what I meant by "connection" :yes:

David K - 1-3-2011 at 08:55 AM

Here is an larger area map of the area from San Ignacio to La Purisima... This map has the Jesuit's El Camino Real roads highlighted...

The Camino Real stayed in the mountains because that is where the water sources (and natives) are! Mike will need to find fishing camps with water to share.

[Edited on 1-3-2011 by David K]

BajaBlanca - 1-3-2011 at 09:01 AM

one S in Purisima .... learn something new every day !!! In Portuguese that wd then read Purizima so we have to put 2 ss's. All these languages get me oh so confused !!!!

David K - 1-3-2011 at 09:03 AM

Mike's total for December:

171 miles walking
16 walking days
~10.7 average miles per walking day.

Recap:

Total November estimated miles of progress:
187 miles.
23 walking days.
8.1 average miles per walking day.

Total for October:
219 miles
25 walking days
8.76 avg. miles per walking day

[Edited on 1-3-2011 by David K]

TMW - 1-3-2011 at 10:43 AM

If Mike takes the inner road and goes by El Cuarenta they would have water available. Tomas is the owner and his sons are Tomas Jr. and Martin. I forget Tomas Sr's brothers name. I dropped off supplies there the end of Oct.

BajaBlanca - 1-3-2011 at 10:46 AM

Shari !! isnt that just amazing ... that is a huge change.

thanks TW, I will pass the word on :)

oladulce - 1-3-2011 at 11:16 AM

Blanca Blanca, come in... check your u2u :dudette:

David K - 1-3-2011 at 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
If Mike takes the inner road and goes by El Cuarenta they would have water available. Tomas is the owner and his sons are Tomas Jr. and Martin. I forget Tomas Sr's brothers name. I dropped off supplies there the end of Oct.

Here is Mike's route map... and I added the location of El Cuarenta plus a couple of key roads the AAA map doesn't include (dashed lines)...

There are 3 basic routes south from San Ignacio:
Beach/ salt flats,
Graded Road (Cuarenta),
and the foothills (El Patrocinio- San Jose de Garcia)

In the foothills there are more ranches, more water sources... but is is higher up, however, a more direct route.

BajaNomad - 1-3-2011 at 03:00 PM

Quote:
There are 3 basic routes south from San Ignacio:
Beach/ salt flats,
Graded Road (Cuarenta),
and the foothills (El Patrocinio- San Jose de Garcia)

In the foothills there are more ranches, more water sources... but is is higher up, however, a more direct route.

Mike indicated taking a route inland from the salt flats - as there would likely be more accessibility to fresh water, food for Don-Kay, and that he'd placed some of his pre-trip "stash" along this path.

David K - 1-3-2011 at 05:11 PM

Yes, got a u2u from Mike as well... I need to add one more road that he will be taking, not shown onto the map!

Jan. 3 La Bocana Final Day

David K - 1-3-2011 at 06:17 PM

BajaBlanca - 1-3-2011 at 07:18 PM

JUANITA - we shall follow the path but expect Mike more or less 4 days from tomorrow .... at your doorstep !! Saturday .... Sunday ....

On Thursday we are going to meet up with Mike with lots of water for DON KAY :)))) So much water in San Ignacio and almost NONE between here and there.

shari - 1-3-2011 at 08:49 PM

thanks for the update Blanca...and the party just keeps on keepin on for those guys....woooo hoooo...

Skipjack Joe - 1-3-2011 at 09:33 PM

This journey has turned into "A Moveable Feast".

shari - 1-4-2011 at 10:46 AM

Ok...I'll bite and start a new language thread

Now...back to the previously scheduled programming...Mike's excellent adventure....here are a few pics from his stay in Assuncion...he packed a whack of parties into that few days...solstice party, surf fiesta, christmas eve, xmas day, the wedding...whew! we tried to fatten him up while he was here.

http://s385.photobucket.com/albums/oo295/blowhole1/Mike%20Do...

Skipjack Joe - 1-4-2011 at 04:00 PM

This one image was worth going through all of the rest of it:

Natalie Ann - 1-4-2011 at 05:44 PM

That picture caught my attention too, Igor.
What a great book cover candidate!

nena

Jan. 4, 2011

David K - 1-4-2011 at 06:28 PM

Mike, Don-Kay and Solo walked an estimated 14 miles today. They are about 2 miles from the Abreojos Highway.

Barbareno - 1-5-2011 at 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Natalie Ann

nena

No Solo though.

BajaBlanca - 1-5-2011 at 02:41 PM

tomorrow, the doctor who cared for Don Kay in la bocana and I are driving out to meet the trio along the punta abreojos trail !! water, apples, hay. So, I will put up an update as to how they are faring .....

Mulegena - 1-5-2011 at 02:53 PM

Quote:
tomorrow, the doctor who cared for Don Kay in la bocana and I are driving out to meet the trio along the punta abreojos trail !! water, apples, hay. So, I will put up an update as to how they are faring .....

Dog food, too, for the Little Desert Flower?

BajaNomad - 1-5-2011 at 03:58 PM

Quote:
we need a connections for him at LAGUNA SAN IGNACIO

Might try contacting Maldo Fischer and family. They are familiar with the ranches along the inland route (and have - or had - one in that area), and might know where water sources are. Wouldn't surprise me if they went out of their way to be helpful to him.

Contact info:
(615) 103-0349 home tel
lagunamaldo (at) yahoo.com

They don't check email very often. Probably better to call. Maldo's wife's name is Catalina.

desertcpl - 1-5-2011 at 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
This one image was worth going through all of the rest of it:

what a great photo,, I am putting this on my wallpaper

Barry A. - 1-5-2011 at 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barbareno
Quote:
Originally posted by Natalie Ann

nena

No Solo though.

Solo took the picture !?!?!?!?

Barry

Jan. 5, 2011

David K - 1-5-2011 at 06:28 PM

Mike and the gang walked about 12 miles today...

shari - 1-5-2011 at 08:42 PM

in that picture of Mike....Sola vino knew it was us and she came bounding up to us when we stopped and was thrilled to have someone pet her and glad to have a beer break. She was beside me wagging her tail when i took this photo....good doggie.

Skipjack Joe - 1-5-2011 at 08:58 PM

Yeah, everything came together for you in that one, Shari.

Great light that only a winter sky provides in baja.

Much to be said about this image but overanalyzing it can kill it. So ... just enjoy.

I have a picture of Solo I'm dying to add to this thread but don't expect Doug to keep it for very long.

shari - 1-6-2011 at 08:29 AM

U2U me when you are gonna post it so I can get a quick peek before it disappears!!! sometimes ya gotta be fast! did the donG kay photo get poofed?

Mike heading towards SAN ANGEL ranch

BajaBlanca - 1-6-2011 at 03:29 PM

the local Doctor and I drove about an hour to the asphalt road between Punta Abreojos and Highway 1 to meet the Mike Don-Kay and Solo trio ... here are some pics - enjoy !

the Trio on their way

[Edited on 1-6-2011 by BajaBlanca]

BajaNomad - 1-6-2011 at 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Quote:
U2U me when you are gonna post it so I can get a quick peek before it disappears!!!

OK!
:rolleyes:

tripledigitken - 1-6-2011 at 05:24 PM

Quote:

I have a picture of Solo I'm dying to add to this thread but don't expect Doug to keep it for very long.

Why?

Jan. 6, 2011

David K - 1-6-2011 at 06:22 PM

Mike and company walked 12 miles today and are camped just off the Abreojos highway. They will need 2 more days to reach San Ignacio at their rate, which is one more than originally expected. They are not in the Baja 1000, so that is just fine!

View looking towards San Ignacio (NE).

The Jan. 5 point is a bit too generous, it should be midway between the 4th and 6th. He walked 12 miles yesterday, as well. On the satellite image I can measure the distance pretty close when the route is mostly straight.

Thanks Baja Blanca!

David K - 1-6-2011 at 06:29 PM

Quote:
the local Doctor and I drove about an hour to the asphalt road between Punta Abreojos and Highway 1 to meet the Mike Don-Kay and Solo trio ... here are some pics - enjoy !

the Trio on their way

Here's the last photo Blanca took today:

and as always, the parting shot, Mike singing at full blast and the 3 amigos head for San Angel and then San Ignacio .... hasta la vista :)

Jan. 7, 2011

David K - 1-7-2011 at 07:09 PM

Today Mike, Don-Kay and Solo walked close to 8 miles and have set up camp just over a mile east of Rancho San Angel.

View towards San Ignacio:

View above San Angel towards Mike:

David K - 1-8-2011 at 12:41 AM

It will be a really long day Saturday for Mike... or he will not get to San Ignacio until Sunday afternoon!

Jan. 8, 2011

David K - 1-8-2011 at 07:26 PM

Mike and company took a left off the dirt road that seemed most direct to San Ignacio, and walked up a faint road to Hwy. 1... Then they traveled east to almost the new bridge (not shown on the satellite images taken before), and is camping just south of the highway... approx. 5 miles from San Ignacio. I estimate they walked about 12 miles today.

Looking East:

BajaBlanca - 1-8-2011 at 08:00 PM

amazing .... I hope he stopped by San Angel as they were going to be waiting with goodies and water !!!

tomorrow they will be at Juanita's CASA LEREE !!

David K - 1-9-2011 at 12:48 AM

Quote:
amazing .... I hope he stopped by San Angel as they were going to be waiting with goodies and water !!!

tomorrow they will be at Juanita's CASA LEREE !!

He camped about 1 1/4 mile east of San Angel on the 7th. If Mike knew they were expecting him, I sure he stopped... the road he took turned right at San Angel, so he would have seen it.

Sounds like you guys had a great visit. Baja Angel and I look forward to meeting him after the adventure when I give him all these maps and mileage notes!

BajaBlanca - 1-9-2011 at 04:08 PM

Our current guests ran into Mike this morning right south of San Ignacio so we presume he is there at Casa Leree, at this moment, relaxing, feet in the water in Juanita's back garden :)

David K - 1-9-2011 at 05:25 PM

Quote:
Our current guests ran into Mike this morning right south of San Ignacio so we presume he is there at Casa Leree, at this moment, relaxing, feet in the water in Juanita's back garden :)

Thanks Blanca... as of 4:23 PST (5:23 your time) Mike has not sent out a Spot Signal. I bet he is just having fun not walking out in the open anymore! I bet he is in San Ignacio.

Please post any news or email reports from Casa Leree!

NEWS UPDATE

BajaBlanca - 1-9-2011 at 08:17 PM

Dear Blanca: I went over to the mission to water early this afternoon and everyone was all abuzz because they had seen Mike approaching. "We saw him at San Hippolito"; "He gave me a hug". "We saw him near the militarios." And there they came around the curve into San Ignacio, immediately surrounded with children and adults. Make went into the mission to give thanks and we clustered around Don Kay, marveling at his soft fur and friendly ways. He has done well this afternoon, tied to the big tree in the yard, and with plenty of good alfalfa hay has not made a sound. Mike has had good visits with Cristobal, who just happened to be here, a great walker in the outback he just came on foot after being dropped off near Rancho Carricito north of here. They sat in the evening and watched "Bajo California".

Thank you so much for your information. I was very glad to know to have hay for Don Kay. It has been quite peaceful watching him chewing. Tomorrow we will do a laundry and I will show them around the mission. Love, Juanita

alls well that ends well !!!!! Thanks Juanita, so nice to know they are in the BEST hands !! Blanca

[Edited on 1-10-2011 by BajaBlanca]

Pages:  1  ..  7    9    11  ..  16