Pages:  1  ..  7    9

luv2fish - 5-30-2013 at 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged

**** Like Like ****

DENNIS - 5-30-2013 at 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551

Lets not confuse the issue with information and fact.

Everybody's just getting warmed up for the Urinal Boat excursion. :light:

tripledigitken - 5-30-2013 at 09:27 AM

Over analyzing, now toilet references...

Oh the horror.....

micah202 - 5-30-2013 at 10:55 AM

...there's just such a difference ,,'generationally',,between Graham's adventure and this..... internet,facebook,go-pro has rather changed what a wilderness adventure is.

....I've seen it on my own little..relatively private trips ,,where I find myself 'writing-up,or narrating what I'll say as a caption to a picture I'll post.

...it certainly effects the being-in-the-moment aspect of an adventure

...I'll always wonder if the lads were actually there for themselves in the end,,,or to fulfill their funding agreements?

[Edited on 5-30-2013 by micah202]

Technology and adventure travel

Whale-ista - 5-30-2013 at 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by micah202
...there's just such a difference ,,'generationally',,between Graham's adventure and this..... internet,facebook,go-pro has rather changed what a wilderness adventure is.

....I've seen it on my own little..relatively private trips ,,where I find myself 'writing-up,or narrating what I'll say as a caption to a picture I'll post.

...I'll always wonder if the lads were actually there for themselves in the end,,,or to fulfill their funding agreements?

Good points. Having access to wifi from almost anyplace w/cell towers makes us more tech savvy but also tethered to others in ways not possible during Graham's 1st adventure. Graham is using technology differently now also. Evolution.

micah202 - 5-30-2013 at 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Whale-ista
Quote:

Good points. Having access to wifi from almost anyplace w/cell towers makes us more tech savvy but also tethered to others in ways not possible during Graham's 1st adventure. Graham is using technology differently now also. Evolution.

...existential dilemma of the day......

.... ...is an adventure still an adventure when you can 'ping' a rescue at any time??!?:?:

DENNIS - 5-30-2013 at 01:33 PM

Quote:

.... ...is an adventure still an adventure when you can 'ping' a rescue at any time??!?:?:

Is it still an adventure if you don't need to try?
I think so.

DianaT - 5-30-2013 at 06:30 PM

Quote:
I have tried recently to keep my opinions from dancing through my fingers onto the BN forum....but I have to admit that I totally agree with David K. on his take on the mini-video.

I think these two young men are on a self-indulgent fantasy of grandiosity that it far more about themselves than Baja.

A trip to bring littering and waste to the attention of others? So why break a discarded bottle and leave the shards on the ground?

And I doubt they traveled hundreds of miles without seeing anyone.....geez, everytime I have thought I was in the middle of BF Baja and wanted some privacy, sure enough, a Mexican walks by with a rope in his hand.... (small exaggeration....). There are pangas out on the chuck, there are surfers hiding out, there are cowboys following a few cows, there is a guy or his wife/kids watching the goats....stuff like that.

I remember the romanticism of my youth....and have held onto enough of it to still have dreams that I pursue.

I don't think these guys have an important story to tell that anyone over the age of six doesn't already know.....

My hat is off to them for the hardships of parts of their trek....and that's about it.

Just sayin'

I have not found any writer who has written ANYTHING profound about Baja since Steinbeck, no one, except for maybe a couple of current academic books about border culture and/ or the human traffic trade. Everything else, while possibly interesting, is either an expanded trip report and or tour guide. That is not to say they might not a fun read.

I don't believe these two had or have any wild delusions about writing or filming something profound. They have been off on an adventure and hopefully they will make money from their adventure through National Geo.

Whether someone has walked Baja unknown, or used it as a way to gain attention and/or write books to earn money, those who have walked Baja have done it for themselves, not for Baja. And these guys are not different --- it is just a different adventure and they were honest about hoping to make some money from it.

I loved the dogs for this sample as it is something not many focus on at all and they are everywhere----backing dogs are very much a part of Baja. I suspect there is a story about the bottle as these two are very involved in environmental things --- It will be interesting to see that story. It did not look good. We will need to wait and see --- this video was just a teaser.

It all will very interesting to see the film --- entertainment only and I suspect very entertaining and then around here, there will be some who will criticize it heavily because it is not their idea of what Baja is.

Quote:
some think art is dancing around a pole. others think the barking dog has aesthetic pleasure... personally, I thought the fotos of the dogs intriguing. Can you imagine the number of dogs that they met along the way... And some of them they caught the moment.

PS I find this clip more entertaining than the repetitive tire tracks down the beach....but to each their own...verdad?

[Edited on 5-30-2013 by rts551]

Dancing around a pole?? :lol::lol:

DENNIS - 5-30-2013 at 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
there will be some who will criticize it heavily because it is not their idea of what Baja is.

Some have a tendency to turn Baja into private property in their minds and feel violated when someone else tries to interpret the place. It interferes with their memories.

rts551 - 5-30-2013 at 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:
I have tried recently to keep my opinions from dancing through my fingers onto the BN forum....but I have to admit that I totally agree with David K. on his take on the mini-video.

I think these two young men are on a self-indulgent fantasy of grandiosity that it far more about themselves than Baja.

A trip to bring littering and waste to the attention of others? So why break a discarded bottle and leave the shards on the ground?

And I doubt they traveled hundreds of miles without seeing anyone.....geez, everytime I have thought I was in the middle of BF Baja and wanted some privacy, sure enough, a Mexican walks by with a rope in his hand.... (small exaggeration....). There are pangas out on the chuck, there are surfers hiding out, there are cowboys following a few cows, there is a guy or his wife/kids watching the goats....stuff like that.

I remember the romanticism of my youth....and have held onto enough of it to still have dreams that I pursue.

I don't think these guys have an important story to tell that anyone over the age of six doesn't already know.....

My hat is off to them for the hardships of parts of their trek....and that's about it.

Just sayin'

I have not found any writer who has written ANYTHING profound about Baja since Steinbeck, no one, except for maybe a couple of current academic books about border culture and/ or the human traffic trade. Everything else, while possibly interesting, is either an expanded trip report and or tour guide. That is not to say they might not a fun read.

I don't believe these two had or have any wild delusions about writing or filming something profound. They have been off on an adventure and hopefully they will make money from their adventure through National Geo.

Whether someone has walked Baja unknown, or used it as a way to gain attention and/or write books to earn money, those who have walked Baja have done it for themselves, not for Baja. And these guys are not different --- it is just a different adventure and they were honest about hoping to make some money from it.

I loved the dogs for this sample as it is something not many focus on at all and they are everywhere----backing dogs are very much a part of Baja. I suspect there is a story about the bottle as these two are very involved in environmental things --- It will be interesting to see that story. It did not look good. We will need to wait and see --- this video was just a teaser.

It all will very interesting to see the film --- entertainment only and I suspect very entertaining and then around here, there will be some who will criticize it heavily because it is not their idea of what Baja is.

Quote:
some think art is dancing around a pole. others think the barking dog has aesthetic pleasure... personally, I thought the fotos of the dogs intriguing. Can you imagine the number of dogs that they met along the way... And some of them they caught the moment.

PS I find this clip more entertaining than the repetitive tire tracks down the beach....but to each their own...verdad?

[Edited on 5-30-2013 by rts551]

Dancing around a pole?? :lol::lol:

In my day seen a few dogs dancing around the pole....

Graham - 6-3-2013 at 02:47 PM

Bryan and Justin,

Muchas Felicidades on the sucessful completion of your amazing journey. Seems like yesterday when we were discussing it outside Starbucks in Lemon Grove... when it was just a plan and a dream.

Looking forward to seeing the artistic end products. And to hearing about your next adventures.

BajaSerg - 6-4-2013 at 12:48 PM

Yes Bryan see you at Rosa this weekend!

BajaBlanca - 6-5-2013 at 08:25 AM

Seems to me that their trip might be likened to ART. Each one has his or her own view of what art they like......

Viva la difference!

whatiswest - 6-13-2013 at 12:28 AM

Graham- You're so right! It did seem like yesterday, and there I was fooling myself and so anxious over a 3+month journey. We know Time.

Serge- Sorry we missed each other, the timing wasn't right, hard to plan with 4 dudes. Next time!

Blanca/Les- Sorry we couldn't stop in on the way home. 'Til next time...

Nomads: It was a great trip. We're glad you were entertained, hopefully inspired to leave the cyber-comfort zone. I'm reading Yvon Choinard's book, "let my people go surfing", and I'm realizing that this journey wasn't anything radical, especially compared to what Yvon's and others were doing back in the day. He was pioneering climbing routes in Yosemite with home-made gear. The difference between then and now is just, in my opinion, that there are more barriers to exploration, and more excuses to not have an adventure in the Great Outdoors. Trust me, my entire life I've been looking at a computer screen instead of wandering in those hills off in the distance. This trip was able to bridge the natural world to the cyber, old world with the new.
Keep an eye out for the end product! (sorry-it's not coming next week or the week after...)
Go for a walk.

micah202 - 6-13-2013 at 01:13 AM

....WELL SAID!!;););)

chuckie - 6-13-2013 at 04:01 AM

What Dennis said, is pretty profound...About interfering with memories...That, mixed with a lil sour grapes perhaps, may cause a coloring of our comments..They did it, we didnt...Congrats to them....

David K - 6-13-2013 at 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by whatiswest
Graham- You're so right! It did seem like yesterday, and there I was fooling myself and so anxious over a 3+month journey. We know Time.

Serge- Sorry we missed each other, the timing wasn't right, hard to plan with 4 dudes. Next time!

Nomads: It was a great trip. We're glad you were entertained, hopefully inspired to leave the cyber-comfort zone. I'm reading Yvon Choinard's book, "let my people go surfing", and I'm realizing that this journey wasn't anything radical, especially compared to what Yvon's and others were doing back in the day. He was pioneering climbing routes in Yosemite with home-made gear. The difference between then and now is just, in my opinion, that there are more barriers to exploration, and more excuses to not have an adventure in the Great Outdoors. Trust me, my entire life I've been looking at a computer screen instead of wandering in those hills off in the distance. This trip was able to bridge the natural world to the cyber, old world with the new.
Keep an eye out for the end product! (sorry-it's not coming next week or the week after...)
Go for a walk.

Right on! A follow up adventure could be to try and find your SPOT device in the desert east of San Ignacio!?? :lol::light:

Backed into a corner?

durrelllrobert - 6-13-2013 at 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

Lets not confuse the issue with information and fact.

Everybody's just getting warmed up for the Urinal Boat excursion. :light:

Don't apologize...

EnsenadaDr - 6-13-2013 at 09:11 AM

Don't downplay your experience or apologize for it. Just the fact that two mean, lean guys got out from under the comfort of their computers in cyberworld and decided to move their arms and legs in the southern direction of a few hundred miles was an awesome feat. Back in the day, there was no entertainment online, and people wanted to get out of their boring four walls and do anything that would get them out of the house. Let's face it, the most boring and painful thing in the world, or at least for the majority of Americans, is exercise. That is why the majority of the population is obese. Start walking and live longer!!
Quote:
Originally posted by whatiswest

Go for a walk.

BajaBlanca - 6-13-2013 at 09:35 AM

Hi boys ! Hope we run into you again one day. Your trip was very inspiring!

We just got back from our walk,

remember those nat geo guys? they made it!

willardguy - 6-22-2013 at 07:24 PM

what an adventure:yes:

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/excursions/post/baja-expediti...

woody with a view - 6-22-2013 at 07:59 PM

'core...

DianaT - 6-23-2013 at 08:13 AM

Thanks for the link!

Crazy Baja adventure concludes for two amigos

mcfez - 6-23-2013 at 08:14 PM

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/excursions/post/baja-expediti...

".....................The first part of the trip was captured beautifully in a 2 1/2-minute video created by DeShields using only his phone. “The quickest camera to draw is always my phone,” he wrote. “It captures candid moments better than any camera in our arsenal. This video … gives an honest, frank, and fun view of what life was like for us hiking down the Baja Peninsula.” Take a look:

sub-out-.jpg - 38kB

EnsenadaDr - 8-28-2013 at 07:43 PM

Very interesting radio interview, click on the second arrow to hear more about Justin and Bryan's adventure....

http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/2013/06/25/june-23-2...

BajaGeoff - 8-29-2013 at 09:37 AM

Cool!

KurtG - 8-29-2013 at 10:21 AM

I have the greatest admiration for those young men and their adventurous spirit!

EnsenadaDr - 1-19-2014 at 06:31 PM

What is West is appearing to be at it again...

https://www.facebook.com/WHATISWEST

BajaNomad - 1-20-2014 at 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
What is West is appearing to be at it again...

https://www.facebook.com/WHATISWEST

Just looks like photos from previously... such as this:

Skipjack Joe - 1-20-2014 at 11:40 PM

Quote:

It's far less of an adventure. The most important element of an adventure is danger.

There was recently a group that duplicated Shackleton's famous Antarctic voyage with an accompanying boat for safety. Everything was worn, eaten, and built as the original voyage. A sextant was used rather than GPS. But nobody was under any illusion that this was anything close to Shackleton's experience.

Death is the most important variable in the equation. And no scratches, bruises, sunburn, callouses or thirst can make up for that.

By 19 century standards our experiences are 'adventures lite'.

David K - 1-21-2014 at 01:08 AM

Whithout a SPOT, you need to figure your own solution and death may be part of the danger. Majority of emergencies get solved and make great campfire stories later!

Nothing beats a nice campfire and new friends around to exchange stories of high adventure in 'The Baja'!

DianaT - 1-21-2014 at 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Quote:

It's far less of an adventure. The most important element of an adventure is danger.

There was recently a group that duplicated Shackleton's famous Antarctic voyage with an accompanying boat for safety. Everything was worn, eaten, and built as the original voyage. A sextant was used rather than GPS. But nobody was under any illusion that this was anything close to Shackleton's experience.

Death is the most important variable in the equation. And no scratches, bruises, sunburn, callouses or thirst can make up for that.

Didn't they lose their spot tracker early on?

They took some really great photos on their trip!

EnsenadaDr - 1-21-2014 at 09:12 AM

I guess the guys were just reminiscing, they answered that they were just posting past pictures on Facebook.

EnsenadaDr - 1-21-2014 at 09:30 AM

I don't agree. I think we can all think of adventures in our life that thankfully did not calculate death into the experience. Of course equally we could consider crossing the street an adventure these days.
Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Quote:

micah202 - 1-21-2014 at 09:39 AM

...I think he's asking 'is it still an adventure if there's no -risk-'

...and it's probably best advised that you keep your eyes open when crossing th'street too!!!:yes::yes::yes:

Quote:
I don't agree. I think we can all think of adventures in our life that thankfully did not calculate death into the experience. Of course equally we could consider crossing the street an adventure these days.
Quote:

[Edited on 1-21-2014 by micah202]

EnsenadaDr - 1-21-2014 at 09:46 AM

Ah so he was asking a question, I didn't realize that! Adventures in my opinion can take on many faces, from the hardly risky to the dangerously foolhardy (as in racing at 100 miles an hour in a suburb area, even a star of over 6 Fast and Furious movies couldn't pull it off!) And what about a romantic adventure, how many of you macho men will admit you went into it with your eyes open?? Just sayin'!!
Quote:
...I think he's asking 'is it still an adventure if there's no -risk-'

...and it's probably best advised that you keep your eyes open when crossing th'street!!!:yes::yes::yes:

Quote:
Quote:

[Edited on 1-21-2014 by micah202]
:tumble:

BajaNomad - 12-18-2015 at 10:12 AM

BajaGeoff - 12-18-2015 at 10:22 AM

Very cool Doug!
 Pages:  1  ..  7    9