BajaNomad

CFE

pacificobob - 5-12-2024 at 07:29 AM

I'll be traveling outside of Mexico for several months. Per usual payment of the CFE is a PIA.
Had anyone been using PayPal,Ulink, AMEX or other methods successfully? Id prefer not to make and overpayment and operate on the balance.
I hope to learn of an easy solution like one might expect in the 21st century.

Udo - 5-12-2024 at 08:32 AM

CFE has an app that you sign up from your phone or computer. From there they will send you your statements. You then use your USA credit or debit card to pay for your bill
I have been using the app successfully for 6 years now.

www.cfe.mx/vun/Paginas/PagoReciboEnLinea.aspx

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
I'll be traveling outside of Mexico for several months. Per usual payment of the CFE is a PIA.
Had anyone been using PayPal,Ulink, AMEX or other methods successfully? Id prefer not to make and overpayment and operate on the balance.

Bajazly - 5-12-2024 at 09:02 AM

@Udo, what is the trick to using a US CC? I have the app but it won't let me use a US CC. I was thinking about a prepaid Mexican CC but haven't done that yet.

karenintx - 5-12-2024 at 10:04 AM

We have paid our CFE bill with our Am-Ex Platinum c/c for years. Both Am-Ex and CFE send payment receipts to our email. Also, on the CFE homepage it will immediately show "paid out".

Several of our American friends have said they are unable to use their American issued c/c but then they are not using an Am-Ex Platinum c/c they are using other American issued bank c/c.

Hope this is helpful.

AKgringo - 5-12-2024 at 10:11 AM

I have never had any dealings with CFE, but I am curious if there is any difference in using debit vs credit cards?

pacificobob - 5-12-2024 at 10:23 AM

Same problem here. I used Amex for a while until it no longer worked.

karenintx - 5-12-2024 at 10:29 AM

It is my understanding one can use a Mexican debit card or a Mexican credit card but one can not use an American issued debit or credit card expect for Am-Ex.

If my memory is correct, when I pay online there are several banks/cards to choose from but the only American issued c/c that I have seen listed is Am-Ex. I don't know if that means all Am-Ex c/c. All I know is our Am-Ex Platinum works for us.

We also pay our Tel-Mex bill via Claro Enterprise Solutions. They accepts all American issued c/c.

karenintx - 5-12-2024 at 10:31 AM

Which Am-Ex c/c and when did that option stop working for you?

pacificobob - 5-12-2024 at 10:33 AM

Platinum must be the deal.

Udo - 5-12-2024 at 10:42 AM

There is no trick. I used my USA billing address for verification by the app. They will ask you for your billing zip code. (Yes, all this is in Spanish)

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
@Udo, what is the trick to using a US CC? I have the app but it won't let me use a US CC. I was thinking about a prepaid Mexican CC but haven't done that yet.

Udo - 5-12-2024 at 10:45 AM

I don't think that the type of card is an issue. I currently use my CITIBANK debit card, but I have also used other cards as well. I have also used my AMEX card. All went through ok.

Quote: Originally posted by karenintx  

We have paid our CFE bill with our Am-Ex Platinum c/c for years. Both Am-Ex and CFE send payment receipts to our email. Also, on the CFE homepage it will immediately show "paid out".

Several of our American friends have said they are unable to use their American issued c/c but then they are not using an Am-Ex Platinum c/c they are using other American issued bank c/c.

Hope this is helpful.

Udo - 5-12-2024 at 10:49 AM

One more note. When you start paying with the app as well as your computer, the CFE COOKIE setting will remember your card, and you will not have to enter it again.

Bajazly - 5-12-2024 at 12:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
There is no trick. I used my USA billing address for verification by the app. They will ask you for your billing zip code. (Yes, all this is in Spanish)

Do you pay both here in SF and Ensenada or just Ensenada, not that it should make any difference but Mexico and all.

I go into CFE and pay at the counter with my US CC and no problem, go figure I guess.

Udo - 5-12-2024 at 12:57 PM

Do you pay both here in SF and Ensenada or just Ensenada, not that it should make any difference but Mexico and all.

I go into CFE and pay at the counter with my US CC and no problem, go figure I guess.

To answer Bajazly question: For several years I paid the bill for Bahia Asunción and Ensenada through my app. A few years ago I installed solar in Ensenada, and my bill dropped to zero. However, CFE still charged me a "meter" charge of $95 Pesos. PLus I also paid for the meter at my (now passed away) sister's house. Then I sold it and the new owner dragged his feet at having the meter changed into his name. In San Felip3, I live in the South Campos, where there is no electricity and I am on strictly solar. This year I finally installed a decent solar system designed by Electrosolar in Ensenada. I now have 36 each solar panels that are 600 watts each. Plus he installed 8 each 300 amp lithium batteries and a charge controller/inverter. NOw I have enough solar power to be able to use 6 A/Cs and my wife is able to use the hair dryer anytime she wants. Laundry can also be done at any time rather than waiting for a mid-day sun.
In conclusion, I now have nothing to do with CFE.

AKgringo - 5-12-2024 at 02:55 PM

Again, this is from an outsider looking in, but could the difference in acceptance be due to the billing address of a US card being in the US vs in MX?

ligui - 5-12-2024 at 07:02 PM

I just have my personal assistant in Mexico pay it .

No worries :bounce:

pacificobob - 5-12-2024 at 08:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by karenintx  

Which Am-Ex c/c and when did that option stop working for you?

Which ever Was the most basic. I've only used it a couple times with
Cfe several years ago.

Bajazly - 5-12-2024 at 11:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Again, this is from an outsider looking in, but could the difference in acceptance be due to the billing address of a US card being in the US vs in MX?

When entering the card number, after the first 4 digits it kicks me out saying I must use a Mexican CC so it seems the first 4 numbers are tied to country of origin.

I haven't tried in quite a while so maybe I'll give it another go next week when the shop bill is due.

pacificobob - 5-13-2024 at 01:24 PM

So, nobody is using Ulink, PayPal or other online payment service?

pacificobob - 5-15-2024 at 09:14 PM

I just successfully paid the CFE bill with Ulink. I can't begin to describe my sense of accomplishment and feeling of joy..

Alm - 6-5-2024 at 06:14 PM

I just successfully paid the CFE bill with Ulink. I can't begin to describe my sense of accomplishment and feeling of joy..

I believe Ulink charge a few dollars fee. Exchange rate is probably not too good. Xoom (Paypal) does the same, and has a poor exchange rate. The best option was a direct pay by CC - when it worked. CC use a fair market rate and my CC doesn't charge conversion fee.

A question, if anybody knows. When paying in CFE in San Felipe, I noticed that everybody was paying cash in ATM. The guy at the counter didn't want to do anything with payments when I asked him, is this common? Though, paying at the counter with CC has its own risks...

[Edited on 6-6-2024 by Alm]

surabi - 6-6-2024 at 08:32 PM

I have no idea about that specific CFE office, but at the office where I live on the mainland, yes, everyone pays their bill at the CFE ATM if they aren't paying online or at an OXO. They don't take any payments in the office itself, cash or otherwise.

[Edited on 6-7-2024 by surabi]

surabi - 6-6-2024 at 08:45 PM

Dealing with things Mexican that you'd just take for granted and are unproblematic up north sure does make one grateful for simple accomplishments that amazingly didn't involve a bunch of glitches and frustration, doesn't it?

A few weeks ago, the city wasn't sending me water for some time and my cistern and tinako were scarily low. Also I had called the propane delivery guy several times, and though he said he'd come, he hadn't.

I was so thrilled and considered it an especially great day, when not only did they send me water the following day, I was able to flag down a propane truck that happened to come down my road on the way to a neighbor's.

Bajazly - 6-6-2024 at 10:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

A question, if anybody knows. When paying in CFE in San Felipe, I noticed that everybody was paying cash in ATM. The guy at the counter didn't want to do anything with payments when I asked him, is this common? Though, paying at the counter with CC has its own risks...

[Edited on 6-6-2024 by Alm]

I pay my 2 bills every month at the counter with a CC, have for 3 1/2 years and paying with a CC has zero risk at all. Get over your fear of Mexico and using a CC, just as safe/risky as using it back in the home country.

surabi - 6-6-2024 at 10:17 PM

While I don't use my NOB credit card for anything except online purchases, I agree that people don't need to be afraid of using a CC in Mexico.

Of course it's always a good idea to keep an eye on your CC activity so if it is ever compromised, you'd know quickly.

A friend who was here in Mexico got an alert from her Canadian bank about suspicious activity on her account, and was trying to think back as to where she had used her CC here, but when checking the details of the fraudulent charges, it turned out they were made in Canada, before she even came down here.

The thing you should never do with a CC is let an employee take the card to run it out of your sight. For instance you go to a restaurant and the waiter wants to take your card to the machine. That's how many CCs are compromised.

What I've never understood is the point of the 3 digit "security" code on the back. If your card gets stolen or someone otherwise gets physical access to your card, they also have the security code.

Udo - 6-7-2024 at 10:00 AM

IN SF I do not need to pay CFE. However, I have paid CFE for Ensenada at the SF ATM inside their building> I have also paid at OXXO and 7-11. SF I have solar (18 KW system).

pacificobob - 6-7-2024 at 10:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

Dealing with things Mexican that you'd just take for granted and are unproblematic up north sure does make one grateful for simple accomplishments that amazingly didn't involve a bunch of glitches and frustration, doesn't it?

A few weeks ago, the city wasn't sending me water for some time and my cistern and tinako were scarily low. Also I had called the propane delivery guy several times, and though he said he'd come, he hadn't.

I was so thrilled and considered it an especially great day, when not only did they send me water the following day, I was able to flag down a propane truck that happened to come down my road on the way to a neighbor's.

Ya, my propane guy is a big fat lier. He will constantly tell me what i want to hear, and show up whenever.

surabi - 6-7-2024 at 11:06 AM

Telling you what they think you want to hear is a very prevalent behavior in Mexico and one of the most frustrating to deal with. (Although not all Mexicans do that.)

If you're busy and can't come for 2 days, just tell me that, it's fine, but don't leave me stuck at home all day waiting for you to show up. If you have a lot of work on your plate and can't repair something for me for 2 weeks, don't tell me you can do it in 2 days.

The concept that business owners in other places understand is that if you get good, honest service, you are going to tell 5 other people. If you get bad service and lies, you're going to tell 10 other people.

Alm - 6-8-2024 at 08:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
Telling you what they think you want to hear is a very prevalent behavior in Mexico and one of the most frustrating to deal with. (Although not all Mexicans do that.)

If you're busy and can't come for 2 days, just tell me that, it's fine, but don't leave me stuck at home all day waiting for you to show up. If you have a lot of work on your plate and can't repair something for me for 2 weeks, don't tell me you can do it in 2 days.

Very prevalent indeed, in businesses and govt offices. My friend suggested that this is a lack of communication skills but I think this is psychological, they can but don't care or don't want to. Another thing I noticed is inability to provide directions, they confuse left and right (in Spanish, yes), or before and after some landmark. When streets have no names and buildings - no numbers, it can be challenging.

pacificobob - 6-8-2024 at 09:27 AM

Every culture has its own way of communicating. This includes delivery of bad news messages. "I'll be there in the morning" vs "I'm really busy, and have no idea when get there"
I dealt with aircraft maintenance personnel in more than 40 countries during my career. I always had to run their statements through a filter,and hopefully end up with an accurate idea of what to believe. Some cultures have a tough time delivering a bad news message.

surabi - 6-8-2024 at 10:00 AM

I think that cultural difference may have to do with cultures that are more "in the moment" than those where people look to the future. If you tell someone what you think they want to hear, that person will be satisfied and be pleased with you in the moment. That they might be peeed off in a week when you haven't followed through with what you said you would do isn't considered.

The same thing applies to purchases. Most Mexicans I know will opt for the cheapest paint, for instance, because they will be spending less in the moment. That the cheap paint will only last 2 years before it needs to be redone, and the price of paint will have gone up by then, whereas the more expensive paint will last for 10 years, so be cheaper in the long run, isn't considered.

And that "in the moment" mentality has a lot to do with historical economics. In a third world country, where a lot of people have traditionally struggled to get by on a day-to-day basis, they are just focused on today. In a first world country, where more people are economically comfortable, they can focus more on the future.

And when it comes to things like deliveries, what occurred to me is that Mexican households generally consist of more people than gringo households. So it doesn't really matter if the propane guy shows up at 5pm on Tuesday instead of noon on Monday, as he promised, because there is likely to always going to be someone at home to accept the delivery, even if it's just grandma who sits in her rocker all day. They haven't switched their thinking to "Oh, I'm dealing with gringoes, whose household may only consist of one or two people, who may not be home if I just show up whenever."

RFClark - 6-8-2024 at 10:44 AM

When we lived in California, Edison “the Prince of Darkness” was every bit as bad as any bureaucracy in the world including BCS.

Today we don’t deal with CFE or municipal water. The gas trucks come in swarms several trucks several times a week, unless there is a shortage. In which case they take care of their big customers 1st. We have a 45Lb cylinder that fills for $500 Pesos and I take it to the Propane yard and they fill it. We don’t use much Propane so no big deal.

Mexico, in my opinion, is in general better as far as service is concerned. You do need to work within the Mexican system which can be a challenge for some Nortes.

surabi - 6-10-2024 at 04:48 PM

I have 2 large propane cylinders, one for the hot water tank and one for the cook stove on the other end of the house.

But after having too many times when the propane delivery guy didn't show up as promised, I bought a couple of 10k tanks that I take to get filled myself, and that are light enough for me to lift and move on my own, that will tide me over until I can flag down a propane truck.

Those full small tanks really came in handy a few years ago when there was a propane shortage (or a supply chain issue- there were different explanations, who knows) and both my big tanks ran out over Xmas holidays. There simply wasn't any propane to be had, even if the delivery guy had deigned to come.