BajaNomad

On to Yellowstone

BoenBaja - 5-20-2024 at 12:55 PM

We left Pine Haven WY in the morning and drove to Sheridan WY for the night. Beautiful scenery all the way. Before we left, the next morning, we tanked up and I bought some grizzly bear spray. When we started out for the state campground in Wapiti WY we didn’t realize the climb we would have over the Big Horn Mountains, a tributary of the Rockies. The temp was 82 F when we started the climb and dropped to 31 F near the summit. There was still lots of snowpack, fairly deep, and we even saw a couple of people on snowmobiles. Descending the peak was a bit nerve wracking as there was one grade with a 10% drop over a 10 mile range. The diesel performed very well and with putting it in low gear it kept us at a safe speed. (On a side note o found diesel in Colorado Springs for $2.87/gal!) I had to pump the brakes only occasionally. I should add that our 29’ 5th wheel was designed to be towed by a mid size half ton pickup, so it’s relatively light and didn’t push too hard on the decent. Campgrounds and lodges near the summit were still closed, hadn’t yet opened for the season. We crossed the Big Horn basin and then stopped in Cody to top off the tank, even though I still had over a 200 mile range. We arrived at our current campsite around 2 PM, set up, had lunch, and took a nice siesta. Dinner tonight will be Shelley’s world famous chicken enchiladas, YUMM!