BajaNomad

BOLA

Ateo - 6-14-2024 at 07:31 AM

Hello All,

Headed to BOLA for a few days.......I've swam with whales, gone fishing and kayaking, cruised around in a panga to some islands, but haven't spent much time doing much else there, nor have I done much exploring the areas outside of town.

Anyone have any inside info on cool stuff to see?

I'm probably staying at Villa Bahia or Campo Archelon but if there's a better place, feel free to mention.

Thank for your input!

Also, if there's nothing to add, that's fine - I'll be happy with just being there, in the moment!!

See y'all.

AKgringo - 6-14-2024 at 07:40 AM

If you have a decent 4x4, I recommend that you check out Bahia Las Animas. It is about 40 miles south of town to the turn off, and probably another 15 miles to the bay, but I think it is worth the trip!

If you have a kayak or paddle board it is a good place to play with it.

JZ - 6-14-2024 at 08:53 AM

Here is a fun day trip. Drive back about 12 miles towards MX 1, turn North and go up through the Agua Amarga dry lake. You'll connect with the Window Rock trail and can take it East to Ensenada Alcatraz. It's a pretty nice bay.

About 25 miles in the dirt one way. Some deep sand here and there, but nothing too bad.

David K - 6-14-2024 at 08:57 AM

Punta La Gringa is north 7 miles; the museum in town (behind the train engine plaza); Las Flores (where the train engine came from) is south 10 miles; Mission San Borja is 22 miles south of Km. 45, 13 miles from town.

I made a list of links to photos of interesting sites here: https://vivabaja.com/tours/

These are photo links on that page:

Bahia de los Angeles Area

Tinaja de Yubay
Punta Candeleros & Remedios (Bahia Guadalupe)
El Toro Copper Mine
Camp Gecko cabin, turtle research station, & La Gringa
Bahia de los Angeles highway, Pemex, etc. ’05
Bahia de los Angeles Museum
Misión San Borja
Misión San Borja (inside)
Old San Gregorio
Santa Ana, San Ignacito
Montevideo Pictographs 2005
Montevideo Pictographs 2017
Las Tinajitas Petroglyphs
Camp Gecko ’03
Las Flores
Los Paredones, La Bocana, Bahia San Rafael
Las Flores Railroad and Tramway
Rock Palm Hill (near Yubay)
Bahia las Animas 2004
Bahía las Animas 2017
Punta La Gringa
Mysterious Ruins/ Lost Mission Site?

Note that Montevideo has a locked gate, halfway in. Daggett's has the key... it is well worth the effort.
My photos there: https://vivabaja.com/montevideo/

[Edited on 6-14-2024 by David K]

JZ - 6-14-2024 at 08:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
If you have a decent 4x4, I recommend that you check out Bahia Las Animas. It is about 40 miles south of town to the turn off, and probably another 15 miles to the bay, but I think it is worth the trip!

This is a GREAT day trip. It's not quite that far. About 25 miles to the turn off and 10 miles to the bay. So 35-40 miles one way.

Another option is to go there via boat. It's only about 19 miles on the water.

[Edited on 6-14-2024 by JZ]

JZ - 6-14-2024 at 09:04 AM

If you love the ocean and want a bigger adventure you can charter a super panga from Guillermo's and go 50 miles to the most spectacular bay in the entire Sea of Cortez: Puerto Refugio on the Northern tip of Isla Ángel de la Guarda.

Ateo - 6-14-2024 at 01:36 PM

Gracias AK, We won't have a 4X4 on this trip unfortunately. Next time!

Ateo - 6-14-2024 at 01:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Here is a fun day trip. Drive back about 12 miles towards MX 1, turn North and go up through the Agua Amarga dry lake. You'll connect with the Window Rock trail and can take it East to Ensenada Alcatraz. It's a pretty nice bay.

About 25 miles in the dirt one way. Some deep sand here and there, but nothing too bad.

Thanks JZ. This looks totally sick. Unfortunately we will be in a Honda CRV this time and the lady I'm with won't want to push it too hard as this is her first trip to Northern Baja. I can do some stuff intuit vehicle but not too much sand............Don't tell anyone! Ha ha

Ateo - 6-14-2024 at 01:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Punta La Gringa is north 7 miles; the museum in town (behind the train engine plaza); Las Flores (where the train engine came from) is south 10 miles; Mission San Borja is 22 miles south of Km. 45, 13 miles from town.

I made a list of links to photos of interesting sites here: https://vivabaja.com/tours/

These are photo links on that page:

Bahia de los Angeles Area

Tinaja de Yubay
Punta Candeleros & Remedios (Bahia Guadalupe)
El Toro Copper Mine
Camp Gecko cabin, turtle research station, & La Gringa
Bahia de los Angeles highway, Pemex, etc. ’05
Bahia de los Angeles Museum
Misión San Borja
Misión San Borja (inside)
Old San Gregorio
Santa Ana, San Ignacito
Montevideo Pictographs 2005
Montevideo Pictographs 2017
Las Tinajitas Petroglyphs
Camp Gecko ’03
Las Flores
Los Paredones, La Bocana, Bahia San Rafael
Las Flores Railroad and Tramway
Rock Palm Hill (near Yubay)
Bahia las Animas 2004
Bahía las Animas 2017
Punta La Gringa
Mysterious Ruins/ Lost Mission Site?

Note that Montevideo has a locked gate, halfway in. Daggett's has the key... it is well worth the effort.
My photos there: https://vivabaja.com/montevideo/

[Edited on 6-14-2024 by David K]

Gonna check those links now. We will definitely hit La Gringa and I've never noticed the museum. We won't be in 4X4 so we are keeping mostly on road

Ateo - 6-14-2024 at 01:45 PM

Thanks everyone. We're still trying to make reservations. Ha ha. May end up at Villa Bahia because the other places appear booked

David K - 6-14-2024 at 03:09 PM

The museum is a must see. Open limited hours, so check and come back. It is a block behind the plaza where the train is on display.

You know going to Baja without four-wheel-drive is like consuming soup with a fork! It can be done but takes away from the maximum experience. 😎

That's just not right!!

thebajarunner - 6-15-2024 at 09:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
The museum is a must see. Open limited hours, so check and come back. It is a block behind the plaza where the train is on display.

You know going to Baja without four-wheel-drive is like consuming soup with a fork! It can be done but takes away from the maximum experience. 😎

I consider myself a pretty well rounded Baja guy
Been traveling (and racing) the back roads since 1971
Never tried it with a 4 x 4 so I cannot relate to what you are saying
Been stuck a few times, but "reading the road" is something you eventually acquire and it helps keep you out of trouble.

As to the comment above on Animas.....
Been in there several times in my F 150 rear wheel drive.
Pretty creepy people when I have visited
I hear the faint sounds of "Deliverance" banjo music coming out of some of the camps.

And yes, I race 12 years in all the events down there, always in a 2wd
Although we did modify the rear end to partially lock the drive.

David K - 6-15-2024 at 05:45 PM

Well, I wasn't speaking of Off Road Racing. I am talking about camping and exploring. You don't need 4WD to go to La Gringa or most ANY Baja location... but if you are solo, don't want to be stuck, or deprived of going on a questionable road, then a 4x4 is a must... and let's include dune buggies, Baja Bug VWs, and those side-by-side things everyone likes now.

My first Baja vehicle was a modified VW dune buggy. It drove over the Gonzaga Grades twice in the 70s, with ease. Of course the driver and big tires were part of that!

Me and my Baja vehicle, on the road to El Mármol, 1975.

Alm - 6-15-2024 at 06:26 PM

I recall Villa Bahia was badly damaged a year ago, might not be in the top shape. It's tough booking in summer, but there is always something. Try Daggets maybe. He's expanded the hotels, built a few more cabanas.

Ateo - 6-15-2024 at 09:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
I recall Villa Bahia was badly damaged a year ago, might not be in the top shape. It's tough booking in summer, but there is always something. Try Daggets maybe. He's expanded the hotels, built a few more cabanas.

Thanks Alm. We got a room at Los Vientos at the last minute so we are booked!

I mostly agree with Bajarunner.....

AKgringo - 6-16-2024 at 07:23 AM

In fact, I did not need 4x4 driving into Las Animas in late October of 2022, but my Trooper is an excellent off-road vehicle in 2wd! Beside that, I learned to drive in a 2wd pickup with a stick shift long before I was allowed to drive on pavement. Reading the "road" is a big deal!

I recommended 4x4 as a matter of insurance against being stuck overnight on what was meant to be a day trip. I sure would not advise someone in a Honda Civic to check out the bay. A Baja rancher would probably be OK, but one storm could put even their chances off the chart.

By the way, on that trip the place was deserted! No banjos, no people, just a coyote that seemed to follow me and my dog while I was driving around!

chippy - 6-16-2024 at 07:34 AM

In fact, I did not need 4x4 driving into Las Animas in late October of 2022, but my Trooper is an excellent off-road vehicle in 2wd! Beside that, I learned to drive in a 2wd pickup with a stick shift long before I was allowed to drive on pavement. Reading the "road" is a big deal!

I recommended 4x4 as a matter of insurance against being stuck overnight on what was meant to be a day trip. I sure would not advise someone in a Honda Civic to check out the bay. A Baja rancher would probably be OK, but one storm could put even their chances off the chart.

By the way, on that trip the place was deserted! No banjos, no people, just a coyote that seemed to follow me and my dog while I was driving around!

Thank god there were no banjos!!!!:lol:

4x4abc - 6-16-2024 at 08:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

This is a GREAT day trip. It's not quite that far. About 25 miles to the turn off and 10 miles to the bay. So 35-40 miles one way.

Another option is to go there via boat. It's only about 19 miles on the water.

[Edited on 6-14-2024 by JZ]

have you driven the "Hill to climb" in your image? Lets you drive to the Eco camp

geoffff - 6-16-2024 at 09:37 AM

Ensenada Alcatraz
(March 2023)

geoffff - 6-16-2024 at 09:44 AM

Bahia Las Animas
March 2019

There is an active fishing camp at the point there, but it can be avoided.

Salsa - 6-16-2024 at 01:16 PM

The most stuck vehicle I have seen in Baja was (of course) a 4WD.
There were 3 4WD vehicles with winches pulling it out.

Don

David K - 6-16-2024 at 01:56 PM

Yes, but it was a "better stuck" than with just 2WD! LOL
Sounds like Boca Grande?

I know Stuck!

AKgringo - 6-16-2024 at 02:03 PM

Try getting a D-6 Caterpillar out sometime! And by the way, if you get yourself out without help, it doesn't count as "stuck".