BajaNomad

Boating Regs at Espíritu Santo Island

geraldalexander7 - 6-16-2024 at 05:19 PM

Has anyone here taken their boat to the above Island?
Any Regs that prevent me from taking my boat and diving snorkeling there.
I’m sure dive operators have Regs to follow, what about private owners?

4x4abc - 6-17-2024 at 01:53 AM

I only know you need to get a permit
no overnight or separate permit
most beaches have permanent camps of the panga mafia

JZ - 6-17-2024 at 11:49 AM

Have taken my boat many times. No issues.

gnukid - 6-18-2024 at 12:07 PM

During Jun-Aug you may not swim and interact with Seal lions at Espiritu Santo, you may observe from the boat. Or swim in another area. No permit is required, that is a voluntary option, besides you are not going to the island, you are staying off of the shore.

JZ - 6-18-2024 at 01:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
During Jun-Aug you may not swim and interact with Seal lions at Espiritu Santo, you may observe from the boat. Or swim in another area. No permit is required, that is a voluntary option, besides you are not going to the island, you are staying off of the shore.

I would never swim with them anyway, but curious why that time period is off limits? Mating season or something?

mtgoat666 - 6-18-2024 at 07:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  

I would never swim with them anyway, but curious why that time period is off limits? Mating season or something?

Mating season for calif sea lions is june to august

Crowds of people trying to get close to sea lions annoys the beasts most any time of year.

They do bite when annoyed!