BajaNomad

Last concert?

Lee - 7-17-2024 at 12:57 PM

Don't consider Sammy Hagar at Cabo Wabo a concert but guess it is. His birthday is fun if you like Sammy.

Peter Buck, REM fame, has played Todos at the music fest in 2013. Hotel California too. REM fan since '80.

NOB: Dwight Yokum, Fox theater, Bakersfield, last year. Beach Boys, Greek theater, LA, next month.

stillnbaja - 7-17-2024 at 01:07 PM

Dwight at the Ventura theater....a looong time ago

elgatoloco - 7-17-2024 at 01:23 PM

Eagles with Steely Dan Fabulous Forum last fall

Santana at Red Rocks in two weeks

Los Lobos with Los Lonely Boys Rady Shell next month

Gypsy Kings Rady Shell next month

Eagles again at The Sphere this fall

mtgoat666 - 7-17-2024 at 01:43 PM

I was thinking it would be fun to go see the Dead &co at the sphere this summer. Then i looked at the prices. No thanks.
I grew up seeing rock shows for about $10 or less!
In 1979 I paid $8 to see the Dead in Seattle, festival seating. Now the few Dead survivors want $400 for a ticket!
In 1980 I saw the Ramones at the Showbox (seattle) for $7.

I refuse to pay current prices for dinosaur bands and latest pop.

Last few concerts have been musical theater or some orchestral/singer events at Rady shell…. Good entertainment, and less expensive than big rock shows these days that have ridiculous high prices.

Greed killed rock and roll.

[Edited on 7-17-2024 by mtgoat666]

David K - 7-17-2024 at 02:49 PM

Joan Jet and the Blackhearts, Del Mar Fair a couple years ago.
My first concert was Lynyrd Skynyrd, San Diego in 1976.

Ateo - 7-17-2024 at 06:24 PM

Cafe Tacuba and Caifanes. Before that it was Thievery Corporation. Before that, The Cure.

pauldavidmena - 7-18-2024 at 04:56 AM

The Todos Santos Music Festival was fun while it lasted. Peter Buck sure has a lot of talented friends!

Our last concert was Low Cut Connie at the City Winery in Boston in February. It was a solo performance in an intimate setting, which is about all my tinnitus can handle these days. Here on Cape Cod, the big trend is "tribute bands." I'd rather play the real thing at home.

Santiago - 7-18-2024 at 04:56 AM

June: Colin James @ Triple Door Seattle $100 for a 4-seat booth, got started opening for SRV in Regina CAN in the 80s and owns the Canadian Blues/rocker scene, still looks like a 30-year-old

August: John Fogerty @ Thunder Valley $500/seat ridiculous

Oct: David Gilmore @ Hollywood Bowl Don't care how much, each note is thought out and perfect

Nov: Joe Bonamassa SacTown $300ish, each note is random but within a theme and perfect

Nov: Joanne Shaw Taylor $100 First for us

[Edited on 7-18-2024 by Santiago]

JZ - 7-18-2024 at 07:13 AM

Rod Stewart Santa Barbara bowl.

Saw Tom Petty about 15 times. Took my kids to his very last show at the Hollywood Bowl in 2017.

elgatoloco - 7-18-2024 at 10:48 AM

Great to see everyone's experiences.

Music feeds my soul. Live music is even better. I don't value pleasure based on cost but that's just me. Priceless IMEO. :saint:

Full disclosure the Gypsy Kings is free because our friend has been their accountant for 45 years..........:coolup:

FYI - Rady Shell is an excellent venue with great sound and setting against San Diego Bay. They have a variety of performances there for all types of music fans. We saw Bonnie Raitt there last year with Mavis Staples.

Next month we will also see a jazz concert - Miles Davis Kind Of Blue. Tickets still available. :D

Whatever you like get out there while you can!

BajaBlanca - 7-18-2024 at 01:28 PM

My friend and I went to see Gipsy Kings in 2023, in Istanbul! It was wonderful!

The last song included the newest, youngest musician joining the group - one of the sons.

windgrrl - 7-19-2024 at 06:08 PM

Doobie Bros. “Live at the Wolf Trap” download, glass of wine at my elbow as the jet swings out from SJD and towards another Pacific sunset and then homeward bound to a snow globe world.

My hearing apparatus needs protection from all those past concerts…Santana, Yes, King Crimson, Dire Straits, Tito Puente, Neville Bothers, won tickets for meet and greet with Dwight Yoakam prior to the concert in the Swift Current, Sask. Canadian Tire parking lot, Tom Cochrane, getting lost in Havana after the International Jazz Festival, Colin James, Holly Cole, Ian Tyson, Jesse Cook, Ziggy Marley, Steve Earle, Chantal Kreviazuk, Lucas Nelson and others long forgotten…Oh, but what I would give to see the Gypsy Kings one day!

[Edited on 7-20-2024 by windgrrl]

pacificobob - 7-20-2024 at 03:38 AM

1969 los altos high school. Carlos Santana, and quicksilver messenger service $1.50 ..... with a student body card.
The shows at the Fillmore west and Winter Land were $3.00 , usually 3 acts.
Jimi Hendrix ,led Zeppelin ect. All at a time when the minimum wage was around $1.25@hour.

AKgringo - 7-20-2024 at 09:18 AM

It's been a few years since I went to a concert. I think the last one was Pam Tillis performing at the Alaska state fair. It was an out-door concert, and she was amazed that when it started to drizzle rain, almost no one got up and left!

About the same time, I was able to hear Leo Kottke perform solo in a more intimate environment. He is truly a master of the guitar!

By the way, Leo is still touring and performed here in Grass Valley CA recently!

JZ - 7-20-2024 at 11:09 AM

Totally forgot, saw the Cure at the Hollywood Bowl last May 2023. Took all 3 kids, they love the Cure. Wife and I saw them around 2018 at the Bowl.

He still sounds fantastic. Crowd was a great mix of old and young.

[Edited on 7-20-2024 by JZ]

StuckSucks - 7-20-2024 at 03:06 PM

Jerry Seinfeld and Jim Gaffigan at Jack Kent Cooke's Fabulous Forum.

dravnx - 7-24-2024 at 02:43 PM

My first concert was CSNY at Boston Garden in 1974. My last concert was the Santa Rosa Symphony at Weil Hall. In between, too many to remember and too many forgotten to mention.
Keep in mind that concerts were to support album releases. The bands made some money but they were primarily to sell the albums and merchandise. Today, music is basically free so concert income supports the artists.

wilderone - 7-27-2024 at 04:53 AM

Pete Seeger in San Diego was my first - in the 70's
Saw some greats: Bob Marley, James Brown. Santana
Rolling Stones 1981
Rolling Stones 1994
Rolling Stones 2015
Rolling Stones 2019 Glendale AZ
Rolling Stones 2021 So Fi stadium
Brian Setzer Orchestra at Humphreys from my kayak in the bay - big flotilla of kayaks sharing food, drink

JZ - 7-27-2024 at 11:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  

Brian Setzer Orchestra at Humphreys from my kayak in the bay - big flotilla of kayaks sharing food, drink

Back in the mid-00's my wife's company rented out the entire Anaheim Pond for a holiday party. They flew people in from all over the US.

Jay Leno did a bit and then the Brian Setzer Orchestra played. It was quite the bash.

[Edited on 7-27-2024 by JZ]

wilderone - 7-28-2024 at 05:31 AM

Brian Setzer playing this August 3 at Rady Shell, San Diego. I'm goin!

surfhat - 7-28-2024 at 10:45 AM

In the early 90's when I was flying back and forth from SD to Cabo on a monthly basis to pay rent, Sammy and his crew were in the first class cabin on Alaska Airlines. That two hour flight was entertaining with Sammy and his so hot women partying down behind the drawn, not sound-proofed, first class curtains.

Gawd, they were totally smoking, figuratively not literally, in a good way. Rock stars get the girls, as it has always been.

Oh, to see how hard they partied. Any passenger could hear them clearly though.

I recall stopping by his bar in Cabo at some point, more for the saying I had been there than for partaking in the festivities.

I was an East Cape inhabitant and thanked the stars that such had not invaded the East Cape at the time. I would like to imagine that East Cape magic remains. It is such a special place. Or was. haha

cupcake - 7-28-2024 at 03:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Joan Jet and the Blackhearts, Del Mar Fair a couple years ago.
My first concert was Lynyrd Skynyrd, San Diego in 1976.

I can't remember my last concert, it was a long time ago. But seeing David's post made me remember my first concert, which was Lynyrd Skynyrd at the Swing Auditorium in San Bernardino, March 1976 (possibly the same tour as when David saw them in San Diego). I didn't realize it until years and a number of concerts later, but because of the venue, that Skynyrd concert was possibly the best I ever saw (though I was more hyped for Zeppelin at the Forum in 1977). The Swing had a capacity of 10,000 and it felt much more intimate than anything else I can remember. Standing in front of Ronnie Van Zant like we were watching a local bar band. It was really something.

thebajarunner - 7-28-2024 at 03:25 PM

Fats Domino- 1956, Tacoma

TRans Siberian Orchestra- 28 straight years, still going

Went to the Vegas NASCAR race every year and always did a show
15 straight

One year we saw Danny Gans...Mr Vegas, later that year Danny died
Next year Righteous Brothers, . later that year Bobby died
Following year Siegfried and Roy....later that year the tiger ate Roy

So I ask my racing buddy "Who do you want to see this year?"
Immediate answer "Barry Manilow"
(Barry lucked out, we passed)

Going to ELO in October here in Phoenix

digcolnagos - 7-29-2024 at 08:16 AM

Remain In Light, with Adrian Belew and Jerry Harrison. In Cleveland. Last night.

My gosh.

Physical therapists, orthopedists, chiropractors and others engaged in like pursuits are getting rich today, for all the geriatric po-go'ing that went on.

AKgringo - 7-29-2024 at 11:51 AM

Of the concerts I was able to attend over the years, the one that stands out as being pitch perfect, error free, blow you away energy, was Chicago performing in Reno in the mid 70s.

I was also pleasantly surprised at the variety of styles presented by Steve Miller in a three-part concert in Berkley about the same time period. He did an acoustic set, another set with his studio back up musicians, and a third set with more of a big band back-up!

SFandH - 7-29-2024 at 01:22 PM

The last concert was an aging Johnny Mathis at Humphey's By the Bay—it was her idea. OK, I'll go; he's excellent at what he does.

But the one early performance I'll always remember is Joe c-cker singing "With A Little Help From My Friends" in August 1969 at an outdoor venue in upstate New York. A few other performers were also there. Check it out, lots of soul and he plays a great air guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUVEFkjqiEE

Saw Johnny Mathis in 1962

thebajarunner - 7-29-2024 at 02:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
The last concert was an aging Johnny Mathis at Humphey's By the Bay—it was her idea. OK, I'll go; he's excellent at what he does.

But the one early performance I'll always remember is Joe c-cker singing "With A Little Help From My Friends" in August 1969 at an outdoor venue in upstate New York. A few other performers were also there. Check it out, lots of soul and he plays a great air guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUVEFkjqiEE

It was in Seattle, part of the shows along with the World's Fair
It was a twin bill
Henry Mancini Orchestra was the other half
Mancini far out shined the young Mathis but it was all good

wilderone - 8-4-2024 at 09:13 AM

Stray Cats August 3, 2024
Way fun. Iconic.

picture host

surfhat - 8-4-2024 at 12:06 PM

Anyone who survived the '60's music scene is to appreciated.

My first big music event, on a national basis, was Cream in Baltimore.MD in the fall of '68. My NC college girlfriend and I drove up to Baltimore on a Sunday afternoon.

The Moody Blues was the opening act. This concert was billed as the last Cream concert in the US. Whether that is the fact matters little to what my girlfriend and I were privileged to experience.

Train Time with Jack Bruce's hair flying off of his face blowing the harmonica, Ginger Baker had me looking for a second drummer with his double bass drums going off, and Eric, what can anyone say beyond, he was our guitar god.

The recent passing of John Mayall deserves every music lovers respect. He somehow brought artists together like few others. Providing a way forward in the world of music was and is a selfless act. Bravo.

surfhat - 8-4-2024 at 12:09 PM

Is to be or should be appreciated. My bad. Duh.

pacificobob - 8-5-2024 at 05:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surfhat  

My first big music event, on a national basis, was Cream in Baltimore.MD in the fall of '68. My NC college girlfriend and I drove up to Baltimore on a Sunday afternoon.

The Moody Blues was the opening act. This concert was billed as the last Cream concert in the US. Whether that is the fact matters little to what my girlfriend and I were privileged to experience.

Train Time with Jack Bruce's hair flying off of his face blowing the harmonica, Ginger Baker had me looking for a second drummer with his double bass drums going off, and Eric, what can anyone say beyond, he was our guitar god.

The recent passing of John Mayall deserves every music lovers respect. He somehow brought artists together like few others. Providing a way forward in the world of music was and is a selfless act. Bravo.

I saw cream at the Fillmore west. The part i remember most was Ginger Baker vomiting while never missing a beat on the drums

The Fillmore West.....

AKgringo - 8-5-2024 at 08:04 AM

That was where I attended my first rock concert. It was Lee Michaels and his drummer Frosty performing and was quite an experience for me.

My brother was the one who talked me into the trip to S.F. He was in a wheelchair after a diving accident, and handicap access was not a thing in those days so getting him up the stairs and through a crowd was a challenge!

[Edited on 8-5-2024 by AKgringo]

Lee - 8-6-2024 at 12:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  

I saw cream at the Fillmore west. The part i remember most was Ginger Baker vomiting while never missing a beat on the drums

You mean The Fillmore. They never played Fillmore West. 8 shows between The Fillmore and Winterland, 8/67, and 3/68. They were at their peak. By November, they were history.

stillnbaja - 8-6-2024 at 01:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  

You mean The Fillmore. They never played Fillmore West. 8 shows between The Fillmore and Winterland, 8/67, and 3/68. They were at their peak. By November, they were history.

they've passed the torch...
https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/sons-of-cream-rises-to-...

Santiago - 8-7-2024 at 12:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
That was where I attended my first rock concert. It was Lee Michaels and his drummer Frosty performing and was quite an experience for me.

[Edited on 8-5-2024 by AKgringo]

Frosty is long dead and Mr Michaels wouldn't hear a 12 gauge going off behind his head - stone deaf. I saw him 2 or 3 times and without a doubt, the loudest concert I was ever at. Frosty did a mean drum solo with just his hands.

Santiago - 8-7-2024 at 12:17 PM

By the Way - look who is still #1, here

Saw them at the Bakerfield Civic Auditorium in 1968. Seeing TF in two weeks. 2 seats in 1968 about $5; 2 seats now, about $1k:lol::lol:

Ever hear of RaeLynn?

AKgringo - 8-7-2024 at 08:31 PM

Apparently, she is an up-and-coming country singer who is performing as I write this at the Nevada County Fairgrounds.

I am not at the concert, but my house is close enough to the fairgrounds that I can follow the beat and hear the crowd noise (it is outdoors).

She must not be too famous because VIP tickets are only $65, and general seating is $35.

Lee - 8-20-2024 at 07:43 PM

David is son of John Raitt. His sister is Bonnie. He's in Pescadero in the Winter and plays locally, living down the road from me. Gavilan area. He's Paul's neighbor.

Peter Rivera (original Rare Earth drummer) rocks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx2xwiksEVQ

[Edited on 8-21-2024 by Lee]

pauldavidmena - 8-21-2024 at 10:24 AM

How could I forget the Phreakers? They are a quartet of pre-teens out of Portland, Maine. The drummer is the son of friends of ours, and the showcase of nearly 40 bands back in May was our last concert.