I have a chance to buy a Mercedes 320 that is set up about the way I like, but it has pretty high milage on it. If something should happen during a
Baja run, would parts and service be more of a problem than with some of the more common US and Japanese SUVs?chippy - 8-24-2026 at 04:55 AM
Does it have the 4matic traction control? Gas or diesel? AKgringo - 8-24-2026 at 06:43 AM
It is a 2002, gasoline 4wd model. It has a 4-speed auto, but I am not sure about the traction control. I am guessing that it does based on his
description of the car's performance.
[Edited on 8-24-2026 by AKgringo]chippy - 8-24-2026 at 08:37 AM
There are MB dealers in Cabo and LaPaz that should be able to source parts.
Thinking of Janis.....
AKgringo - 8-24-2026 at 09:25 AM
"Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz....My friends drive Toyotas, so I must make amends!"JZ - 8-24-2026 at 12:45 PM
"Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz....My friends drive Toyotas, so I must make amends!"
I just listened to that song a couple of days ago.
AKgringo - 8-24-2026 at 01:12 PM
I know that her friends drove Porsches, but that didn't fit for my situation, so I changed the lyrics.
That lady could sing with soul, and always very clear lyrics!4x4abc - 8-24-2026 at 03:17 PM
I drove all of Baja in 1999 with a very early ML320 (Amazon has a book about it)
transfer case is US style chain driven - simple fix
traction control (ETS) is ABS based - almost failproof
parts are sources quicker through Amazon and ebay than from Baja Mercedes dealers.
lotsa enthusiasts support on facebook for lifted and beefed up MLAKgringo - 8-24-2026 at 03:58 PM
Thanks Harald, I was hoping you would see this post. The problem that the owner has disclosed to me is that it is starting to slip in 4th gear with a
load or grade.
It has no problems going through the gears up and down through 3rd gear, but routine service did not help the slippage at speeds over sixty or so. Is
that something you would be comfortable having repaired in Baja?4x4abc - 8-24-2026 at 07:39 PM
over 60 is not something you will need often in Baja - but in general a new/used tranny would make sense
I got the car!
AKgringo - 8-25-2026 at 06:37 PM
For a car with 290K miles on it, it is in surprisingly good condition! The exterior paint is a low luster, rough finish (like a truck bed finish)
which should help hide pinstripes. The interior is the original leather but not worn out.
It is sitting on nearly new Cooper Discover 265/70/17 tires, and the rims are painted with the same rugged paint to match the bumpers and trim.
Everything seems to justify putting some money into the transmission to get fourth gear back again.
Nice looking Baja rig.chippy - 8-26-2026 at 07:30 AM
I think this Mercedes will wear Alaska plates!
AKgringo - 8-27-2026 at 09:02 AM
I have family coming down from AK next month, and this purchase was partly for them to use while they are here. I still have an AK driver's license
with an Anchorage address, so I should be ok driving it to Baja (after test driving here for a bit).
In the past I have found that on the mainland, and in Baja, having Alaska plates opens doors for conversation with locals that might not happen with
CA plates.