It was a landmark for decades after it went out of business... a set of concrete pads on a cove next to the rigged road to Gonzaga Bay. The pads are
still visible over 50 years later. I have photos from 1960 to 2022, plus several maps of the fishing camp. The original name of the place was
“Miramar,” and Ray Cannon wrote about it, but Tony Reyes changed the name to “Okie Landing” when some American clients kept calling each other
“Okie farmers” whenever they lost a fish. https://vivabaja.com/okie-landing/
Here's a couple from the page:
1960:
2007:
1962:
AKgringo - 9-15-2026 at 04:35 PM
I wasn't a Baja traveler when it was around, but I recognize that spot. I spent a night there in Jan 2025 on my way back north.David K - 9-16-2026 at 07:30 AM
I wasn't a Baja traveler when it was around, but I recognize that spot. I spent a night there in Jan 2025 on my way back north.
There are two 'points of interest just south of Okie Landing (which is Km. 117)... Baja is full of geologic and historic points of interest!
Km. 118.5 is the road to San Judas onyx mine, a 1 mile drive west of the highway.
Km. 120.5 is the access to Agua del Mezquitito water hole, 0.9 of a mile west from the highway.
It always feels like a step back in time when I stop in and stretch my legs there. The bluff about 1/4-1/2 mile north has old house foundations which
make me wonder who were the hearty souls that built their cabins back in those years. The one closest to Okie Landing is mostly complete still but
showing signs of weathering and lack of maintenance. Pablito1 - 9-17-2026 at 06:42 AM
One time around 1970-71 I was headed to Campo Papa Fernandez and there were 3 people at Okie's and they had several turtles that they were keeping
under the still existent shades. They were waiting for a truck to come from San Felipe . David K - 9-17-2026 at 12:13 PM
Great stories... thanks!
I added another photo from circa 1969, in Cliff Cross's 1970 Baja Guide:
desertcpl - 9-17-2026 at 02:09 PM
didn't at one time have a small restaurant? Pablito1 - 9-17-2026 at 04:27 PM
One time I asked Shi Shi Fernandez about Okies and basically he only talked about Tony Reyes.
I for sure can't add anything else it was before my time. My first trip by there was Thanksgiving of 1967. David K - 9-18-2026 at 05:45 AM
Not that I heard of... Travel in the '60s and early '70s was pretty light. It was a rugged 4x4 trail south of Puertecitos and north of Gonzaga Bay. No
fresh food (beyond sea food), no refrigeration (beyond ice boxes), and as I mentioned no customer flow would have made a restaurant there struggle, I
would think.
I was a small kid the first few times passing by (twice in 1965 & twice in 1967).
When I first drove my dune buggy by at 16, in 1974, Okie Landing was history.
I do remember my parents stopping at El Huerfanito in 1965... we gave the children candy (was a 'thing' gringos did in remote Mexico... today, it is
"steekers"). El Huerfanito, later was called Nacho's, sold sodas and beer... maybe food?