BajaNomad

Best Car Rental in San Jose Del Cabo Airport

Baja4Bob - 10-3-2026 at 01:20 PM

Heading with a friend to Todos Santos area in November and we want to rent a car in the SJD airport for two weeks and pay a reasonable price without being ripped off at the counter. I know liability insurance is required. I want to get collision insurance too but can have that automatically if I use my Citibank credit card (is my understanding). I know too I guess we have to take a shuttle over to the row of car rental offices. What is the best company to go through where we get a reasonable deal without a huge markup at the counter when we are ready to pick up the car?

[Edited on 10-3-2026 by Baja4Bob]

lencho - 10-3-2026 at 07:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Baja4Bob  
I want to get collision insurance too but can have that automatically if I use my Citibank credit card (is my understanding).

Do people actually use that credit card protection in Mexico rentals? I've heard mixed opinions on whether it's a good idea.

wilderone - 10-3-2026 at 08:07 PM

Cactus car rental - online. Your credit card insurance may not be accepted - needs a mexican policy ? - but understand what they will accept. You will choose your terms online, and with my experience, there was no discussion at the counter - the deal was done per my online reservation. The cheapest car was a manual transmission which I chose, but when I balked at that - they gave me automatic at no extra charge. Cactus will pick you up at the airport - their office is 1/2 mi. away. You need to walk outside the terminal building to a plaza parking lot type thing. No problem. Be sure to inspect the car, take photos, look in the trunk for a good spare and a jack. Bon voyage

Ateo - 10-3-2026 at 10:44 PM

I have used LOS CABOS FAMILY RENTAL CARS. (they may have just changed their name) and they're rad. They pick you up at airport and take you to your car, Super easy and friendly. Look them up. Pretty cheap and they don't sell you on aLl this extra crap.

Text them or call. Pauldavidmedina reccomends them too.....:D

NUMBER IS 52 624 212 7888

[Edited on 10-4-2026 by Ateo]

pauldavidmena - 10-4-2026 at 05:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
I have used LOS CABOS FAMILY RENTAL CARS. (they may have just changed their name) and they're rad. They pick you up at airport and take you to your car, Super easy and friendly. Look them up. Pretty cheap and they don't sell you on aLl this extra crap.

Text them or call. Pauldavidmena reccomends them too.....:D

NUMBER IS 52 624 212 7888

[Edited on 10-4-2026 by Ateo]


Their website is https://loscabosfamily.com/. I typically communicate with them via email at ventasfamilycr@gmail.com and they are usually very responsive. I have a reservation with them for two weeks at the end of January 2027 and have used them almost exclusively since 2013. One year I waited too long and they ran out of cars!

As Ateo says, the price includes mandatory insurance, and there is no upsell at the office. They now take credit cards, but will add a fee to do so. I generally go that route as it was always nerve wracking to carry so much cash with me - even though I never ran into problems doing so. They ask you to return the car with the same amount of gas as delivered.

Flatfish - 10-4-2026 at 09:13 AM

https://www.cabosuvrentals.com/
We used these guys about maybe 6-7 years ago and it was a great experience.

Santiago - 10-5-2026 at 04:25 PM

Ventur AMC Car Rental. Like others, they pick you up, drive a 1/4 mile to facility. insurance included, no hassle.

SunDevil - 10-7-2026 at 08:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by Baja4Bob  
I want to get collision insurance too but can have that automatically if I use my Citibank credit card (is my understanding).

Do people actually use that credit card protection in Mexico rentals? I've heard mixed opinions on whether it's a good idea.


I bought American Express Premium Car Rental Protection for a rental car in Puerto Vallarta a few years ago and it paid for some minor damage of about $300 USD with minimal hassle. They asked for a police report which we were not able to get because there was no damage to public property but after explaining this in an email they paid the claim.

American Express Premium Car Rental Protection is an optional, paid insurance plan that provides primary coverage for theft or damage to a rental vehicle, covering up to $75,000 or $100,000 depending on the selected tier. Unlike standard Amex rental benefits which are often secondary, this premium plan allows cardholders to file claims directly with Amex without involving personal auto insurance, helping to avoid potential rate increases.

The service is available to eligible U.S. Consumer and Small Business card members for a flat fee of $12.25 to $24.95 per rental, regardless of the rental duration (up to 42 consecutive days). Coverage includes vehicle damage, theft, loss of use, towing, storage, and secondary medical expenses for drivers and passengers

lencho - 10-7-2026 at 09:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SunDevil  
They asked for a police report which we were not able to get because there was no damage to public property

Intriguing; were the police even involved after the incident?

SunDevil - 10-7-2026 at 08:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by SunDevil  
They asked for a police report which we were not able to get because there was no damage to public property

Intriguing; were the police even involved after the incident?


There was no police presence after the accident. The car scraped against a concrete post and the post was not damaged.

We went online to see what AMEX wanted before paying the claim. We then drove to the police station to ask for a report. That was when we learned there are no reports for minor things like this. In the end we did not need the report.