BajaNomad

what's for the greenhorn to see.....

yankeeirishman - 5-23-2005 at 11:42 AM

There?s a restaurant at Playa del Sol that is a newly uncovered secret I found for my kids that hate Mexican food! American hamburgers, French fries, American style fish n chips. And more for the kids. This is past Pete?s Camp about a mile and an half, on the ocean side of the highway. Opened from 3:30 p.m. Outside seating. EXCELLENT green burritos, or the red sauce enchiladas for us grown ups.

The one and only San Felipe Nursery (botanical) have expanded to another full size location north of town. Near the open market. These folks know what the Americans prefer, as to plant selections go. You will now be able to buy Queen Anne Palms for your La Casas.

I saw more and more wireless locations in town for your laps.

Best ice cream is the Thrifty?s in downtown. I don?t buy Mexican ice cream normally because the texture ids not the same as in the USA. This was supremo! Hugh scopes with chunks of chocolate chips in my order. As you pig out on this good stuff, the also have a cyber outlet there. Three computers that worked fairly fast. Oh?the prices were very cheap on both ice cream and computer time.

At the El Dorado Motor Home park (opposite of the ocean side of the highway) the laundry service is great. $5.00 and they wash n fold same day service. Get it in before 9 a.m. They also have ?do it yourself? washers. Public showers are about a buck. Go to the office for the shower tokens and laundry services. DO NOT park your RV at this waste of a dessert land site. It?s a dump!

Pete?s Camp has great showers for $2.00. BUT before you get undressed and all?check the water faucets for proper working order!!!! They all don?t work. Chow at Pete?s camp is not bad if you are hungry and it?s too late to hit town. Camping there is not fun?.if you hate loud bikes and quads all nite! Go to Campos Pescado for a quite night.

It?s summer in the city now. The crowds are leaving, the campos are clearing out. It?s hot, hot, and hot. The down town area has no business to speak of. So if you want a vacation town to all yourself?go anytime during the summer! It?s hot?but workable.

El Nino Restaurant. God made this joint to eat at! Hasn?t changed at all. That?s the best news I found this past week at San Felipe!

bajalou - 5-23-2005 at 11:51 AM

Great report - one thing though, I like Mexican ice cream much betther than the US Thrifty stuff. This last weekend was pretty full in town tho - supprised me to see so many cars & people - mostly Mexican tho. Mose of the US and Canadians are getting away.

:biggrin:

yankeeirishman - 5-23-2005 at 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
Great report - one thing though, I like Mexican ice cream much betther than the US Thrifty stuff. This last weekend was pretty full in town tho - supprised me to see so many cars & people - mostly Mexican tho. Mose of the US and Canadians are getting away.

:biggrin:

Ya...what was all that anyhow. Looked like a mexican party bout to happen. Hey LOU..."No Bad Days". I found that phase...you know where! :lol::lol::lol:

Yum Yum

MrBillM - 5-23-2005 at 12:35 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm always looking for places that have Gringo-style food on the menu.

Is it only on the Kid's menu ?

[Edited on 5-23-2005 by MrBillM]

bajalou - 5-23-2005 at 12:38 PM

They got the phrase from a Mar 99 Time magazine article on border towns. San Felipe was included and the reporter titled the article, "No Bad Days" and gives credit to the decals on my desert rail. (Which was built by Salvadore of Campo Ocotillo fame about 20 years ago).

Summer time in San Felipe always gets a big play from Mexican families. Some merchants say it's their best time of the year???

:?:

[Edited on 5-23-2005 by bajalou]

wornout - 5-23-2005 at 02:01 PM

Quote:
They got the phrase from a Mar 99 Time magazine article on border towns. San Felipe was included and the reporter titled the article, "No Bad Days" and gives credit to the decals on my desert rail.

And the decals came from the Restaurant Latitude 22 in Cabo San Lucas... Now you know 'the rest of the story'. Unless of course Mike Grzanich stole it from someone else making that 'the rest of the story.'

Just checked and they did move from town to km 4.5, behind CostCo. Latitude 22 is my favorite Cabo Joint.

yankeeirishman - 5-23-2005 at 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
Thanks for the info. I'm always looking for places that have Gringo-style food on the menu.

Is it only on the Kid's menu ?

[Edited on 5-23-2005 by MrBillM]

They have a outstanding Mexican crusine thats pure Baja!

bajalou - 5-23-2005 at 02:53 PM

You should have watched that fence being built - the red one. It's mad of used tires - lots and lots of used tires!

:o

yankeeirishman - 5-23-2005 at 05:04 PM

Quote:
You should have watched that fence being built - the red one. It's mad of used tires - lots and lots of used tires!

:o

Yes. Lou...did you happen to see how they did that fence (locking in the tires, face, ect) ? I didnt have time to knock on their door. It's a fantastic idea!

Bruce R Leech - 5-23-2005 at 05:23 PM

San Felipe sounds like the perfect place for people that like southern California.

New Freeway coming

yankeeirishman - 5-24-2005 at 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
San Felipe sounds like the perfect place for people that like southern California.

I have reliable sources tell me that California is extending their interstate 5 freeway to your backyard down there :lol:

Hey Bill

jrbaja - 5-24-2005 at 10:01 AM

did you ever consider staying home where you can find as much gringo food as you like? What a concept eh!!!:lol: