BajaNomad

ARROZ CON POLLO (Chicken With Rice)

Bruce R Leech - 5-30-2005 at 03:54 PM

I have several recipes for ARROZ CON POLLO this is the simple one that most of the locales use here in Mulege

1 cut up fryer
2 1/2 tbsp. butter
1 sm. clove garlic, minced
1/4 c. chopped onion
1/4 c. chopped green pepper
1 c. uncooked brown rice
2 1/2 c. boiling chicken broth
1/2 c. chopped tomatoes
1/4 tsp. oregano

Remove skin from chicken. In small bowl, combine butter and garlic. Brush on the chicken. Set aside. In a skillet, add onion and green pepper; cook until vegetables are tender. Add the rice and cook 2 minutes. Add hot chicken broth, tomatoes and oregano. Stir to blend.
Cover skillet and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Arrange chicken pieces over top and bake 30 to 40 minutes until tender and nicely browned.

Sallysouth - 5-31-2005 at 01:12 PM

That was excellent Bruce! Tried it last nite but used canned tomatoes.Thanks! BTW,have you found Arrachera yet, and tried to cook it?

Bruce R Leech - 5-31-2005 at 01:36 PM

yes and I bought a bunch of it in La Paz for the freezer.

Sallysouth - 6-1-2005 at 10:11 AM

Well Bruce? Did you cook some yet? If so, how did you cook it and how was it?

Bruce R Leech - 6-1-2005 at 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sallysouth
Well Bruce? Did you cook some yet? If so, how did you cook it and how was it?

so far I have just fried it in a very hot skillet one time and cooked it on a very hot grill the second time. we diced it up and had it with tortillas and all the trimmings both times. it is vary good that way. what is your favorite?

Bob H - 6-1-2005 at 07:16 PM

Bruce, you must love to cook man.... good for you! Next time I'm in the Mulege area I gotta meet you, and possibly have a BBQ, NO?
Bob H

Sallysouth - 6-1-2005 at 08:26 PM

Bruce, The first time I had it was in Loreto at Pachimamas Restaurant and I think it was done on the grill in the kitchen. My cooking method was in a very hot cast iron skillet over very high heat, as you did. I dunno, but the first two times were in Baja and it was to die for! The last time was here, at my home in So.Cal, and it just did'nt taste as darn good!HHHMMMM???

Bruce R Leech - 6-3-2005 at 04:38 PM

every thing tastes better in Baja Ca.