BajaNomad

Motorcycle Carnet? Santa Rosalia to Mainland

Hltoppr - 6-2-2005 at 02:28 PM

Anyone just happen to know if a carnet is necessary once you get to the mainland by ferry from Santa Rosalia North of Mulege.

We'll have 2 motorcycles.

Thanks!

-H-

KurtG - 6-2-2005 at 04:50 PM

Yes, a vehicle permit is required for motorcycles same as for autos. You'll need a credit card to get the permit and I believe you will need to get it before getting on the ferry so allow the extra time. Be sure to turn the permit back in before leaving Mexico to avoid having your card charged for the fee. Since you are in Az. it might be more convenient and faster to get the permit at one of the Arizona border crossings.

Hltoppr - 6-2-2005 at 09:25 PM

Thanks Kurt, I'll do a little digging as to where to get the permit.

Does anyone know if immigration has these. We'll be passing through San Felipe on the way down, and getting our tourist permits there, so it would be easy to do at that time.

-H-

Bruce R Leech - 6-3-2005 at 07:10 AM

immigration dose not handle this but you can get the per,it at the ferry terminal in Santa Rosalia.

bajalou - 6-3-2005 at 07:16 AM

Might get it at Customs at the new (East) border crossing in Mexicalli???

I was told I could turn mine in there.

:biggrin:

Hltoppr - 6-4-2005 at 09:21 AM

Thanks guys, we'll probably be going in through Calixico East, and will get the carnets at Santa Rosalia!

-H-

deepcdiver - 12-30-2005 at 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hltoppr
Thanks guys, we'll probably be going in through Calixico East, and will get the carnets at Santa Rosalia!

-H-

deepcdiver - 12-30-2005 at 11:15 AM

If you get it in Santa Rosalia, be sure to take 4-6 copies of your license, registration, title (or Letter of Authorisation from the lien holder if your bike is not paid for) and Mx insurance. It can be a real hassle getting copies made near the ferries and can hold you up a couple hours. Also, don't forget to bring your own tie downs, preferable the type with built in ratchets to take up the slack.

Personally I would do it when you first cross the border, it is usually much easier.