BajaNomad

It's a GUY thing!

bajalera - 6-3-2005 at 07:12 PM

That's how come Steve spotted this tidbit from Padre Miguel del Barco's book about the peninsula that I had overlooked.

Indian women living in the north, Barco says, wore around their waists a little bunch of threads or thin cords, which served as a belt. To this they tied a much larger number of similar threads, so that these remained thicker and sort of heaped together, forming a little bunch barely four fingers wide.

After twisting these cords together into a single strand, they passed this between their thighs and attached it, in back, to the belt around their waist--leaving the little bunch of cords drawn tight, and very close to the body.

Barco's anatomically correct but un-Jesuit-like comment--"Thus, this type of bandage is left covering precisely the drainage channels of nature"--makes it clear what these ladies were wearing.

Thongs!

Now that's what I'd call being well ahead of their time.

Lera

come on

academicanarchist - 6-4-2005 at 04:34 AM

Come on Lee. Jesuits were human to.

Barely !

jrbaja - 6-4-2005 at 08:45 AM

so to speak.

bajalera - 6-4-2005 at 01:23 PM

I didn't mean to imply that Barco had any lustful inclinations. In fact, the more I read of his book, the more I tend to suspect that in his case a different vowel in "guy" might be appropriate. He reports things that the rest either didn't notice or didn't mention.

Lee

scourges and horse hair shirts

academicanarchist - 6-4-2005 at 02:31 PM

Lee. That's not the way I took it. Even Jesuits, who were known to do things such as scourge themselves or wear things like horse hair or uncomfortable shirts, could also observe ethnohistoric details of dress on women and men who were around them daily.

Dave - 6-4-2005 at 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalera
In fact, the more I read of his book, the more I tend to suspect that in his case a different vowel in "guy" might be appropriate.

Goy?;D

bajalera - 6-6-2005 at 10:04 PM

That is bad, Dave! Really, really baaaaaaaaad.