BajaNomad

Filet mignon from the market - Whooo Hooo!

Gypsy Jan - 6-13-2005 at 11:02 PM

Recently, I was browsing the meat counter at the market, looking through what's available. I spotted a packaged (not prepackaged from other source), a full cut tenderloin of filet mignon.

I couldn't believe it, I have nver seen this before here. There is only one package and it is fresh today, weight .76 k (almost two pounds) for less than US$10.

I cut eight filets from the whole piece, all about 1 1/2" thick andthe meat had a beautiful rich and full beef taste, not watery like US steaks. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I think I'm going to wangle an introduction to the head butcher at the market to discover how often these gems are available. :bounce:

Keri - 6-14-2005 at 06:31 AM

Gypsy Jan , I know you live somewhere close to me how about sharing which market you found your marvelous treat at , k:yes:

my friends in mulege get the same

capt. mike - 6-14-2005 at 03:33 PM

deal on whole tenders at about $5 a pound in a big mex costco like store in la paz. they fly down from mulege int'l and shop there then buzz home, then get a buzz..............

jeans - 6-14-2005 at 03:58 PM

Whole tenderloins are a favorite of my Mom's. She cuts them for individual steaks and wraps them in bacon. She gave me ten in a freezer pack for Christmas. They are GOOOOODDDD!

She's gotten them at several places including a butchershop called Paco's (east side of the main drag, north end. Look for a cow on top of the building).

EJido Mazatlan is a strip mall on the west side of the main drag...it has a butcher shop she's used before, and Comercial Mexicana sometimes has them.

Now, I think I'll defrost one for tonight!

Comercial Mexicana in Rosarito

Gypsy Jan - 6-14-2005 at 04:59 PM

in midtown on the main drag (Benito Juarez Blvd.) BTW, is there some law in Mexico that says every town must have a main street named Benito Juarez Blvd? :lol:

Also, there's a Super Comercial Mexicana going up very quickly on a lot that's right next to the toll road and on and off ramps exit and entrance (I think its the one for the palacio municipal [city hall]). It's going be huge, Costco-sized. It will be a very convenient off and on stop for all you travelers.