BajaNomad

Fishing gear for the big one......

yankeeirishman - 7-12-2005 at 11:51 AM

I have done my share of Trout fishing, from the blue ribbon streams of Montana to Kalifornai?s route 395. We done a little of surf fishing, and a little of party boat for cod / bottom fishing. Not a whole lot of sea fishing. Ya ya ya ...I know...we're Greenhorns when it comes to ocean fishing.

Here?s my question(s) about sea fishing in Baja:

For surf fishing:
?What type of lures/live bait do you use?
?Size of rod
?Where in the surf do you cast? Best time of day is?

Panga fishing:
?What is the best fish(s) to go after on this type of boat?
?Type of rod and reel you recommend (mid budget range).
?What type of lures/live bait do you use for what fish?
?Does it matter what time of the day you fish, off the coast?

[Edited on 7-12-2005 by yankeeirishman]

Mike Supino - 7-12-2005 at 11:59 AM

I believe that it is nearly impossible to catch a panda with a rod and reel.

Sharksbaja - 7-12-2005 at 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by yankeeirishman
I have done my share of Trout fishing, from the blue ribbon streams of Montana to Kalifornai?s route 395. We done a little of surf fishing, and a little of party boat for cod / bottom fishing. Not a whole lot of sea fishing. Ya ya ya ...I know...we're Greenhorns when it comes to ocean fishing.

Here?s my question(s) about sea fishing in Baja:

For surf fishing:
?What type of lures/live bait do you use?
?Size of rod
?Where in the surf do you cast? Best time of day is?

Panda fishing:
?Does it matter what time of the day you fish, off the coast?

Bamboo shoots?

Mike Supino - 7-12-2005 at 12:03 PM

Maybe you should ask JR?

Pandas can eat......

Hook - 7-12-2005 at 12:34 PM

.....up to 40% of their body weight in a day so I would bring a few bushels of bamboo shoots to use as chum.

They also prefer to feed at twilight or night so launch after dark.

Taco de Baja - 7-12-2005 at 12:38 PM

I use a 8-10 foot pole and a large spinning reel with 250-300 yards of 20 pound test line.

I like the medium to large (1-3 oz) Korcodile lures, and so do White Sea Bass and Halibut :)

I also use the rubber "scampi" lures in variuos colors White Sea Bass seem to like oranges, pinks, and whites. Halibuts like greens and browns....but other colors may work too.

You can also just cast out from the beach with a 4oz weight and a couple of hooks with a mussel, limpet, or sand crab and go for perch, croakers, and corvina...and maybey a sand shark or stingray.

Best fishing times varies from day to day and is dependent on the tide. However, when going for croakers using bait, anytime is good, I can usually catch 1 fish per cast in the deep pools below cliffs where the waves crash. Sometimes they are <6", but hey, a fish is a fish (Yes, I let the little ones go, I don't like bones).

yankeeirishman - 7-12-2005 at 12:44 PM

FUNNY GUYS! FUNNY! I corrected it. I want to fish, not feed critters.

Stop by

jrbaja - 7-12-2005 at 12:50 PM

JR's Panda Tackle, Bait and Sport Anting shop anytime Yankee. we'll setcha up.
Seriously though,
The locals around here use a beer can with whatever line they can find, a spark plug for weight, a hook and usually mussels for bait. Hot dogs work pretty good too.

You can start there and work your way up or jump right on in and spend some money for surf fishing stuff.

Some previous trophies

jrbaja - 7-12-2005 at 01:06 PM

T de B's post is good....

Hook - 7-12-2005 at 01:14 PM

....but geared for surffishing for "meat" fish. Catching them off the beach is rare, to say the least.

For continuous fun on the Pacific side, just get yourselfa 6-8 foot spinning outfit with 12 lb. test. Put a 1 oz sliding sinker above a barrel swivel and tie a 3 foot leader of 6 lb fluorocarborn onto the other end of the barrel swivel. Now tie a #8 hook (or so) onto the fluorocarbon and dig up whole sand crabs (aka fleas) in the surf line and hook one on, whole. This will catch yellowfin croaker, barred surf perch, corbina and the occasional bass and halibut.

You dont really have to cast out that far. Look for areas where waves appear to lose their shape as the head to shore.....that is usually a deeper trough of water where fish will hang. Try and drag the bait through there.

Also very effective, are little 2 inch plastic grubs in root beer color on the same setup.

Just walk the beach making occasional casts until you locate fish. You will have many days where it is a fish (or bite) for every cast.

I'll let someone else answer the panda fishing question as I haven't targeted them since my boyhood days in Mongolia.....these were Mountain Pandas that were quite finicky feeders and spooked easily. :tumble:

[Edited on 7-12-2005 by Hook]

Mike Supino - 7-12-2005 at 02:41 PM

Panga fishing:
What ever is biting, the pangero will know.
5 1/2' to 6 1/2' medium action rod; Penn 500 reel. Ideally 2 outfits; 25# and 40#
There are numerous lures to use. Both trolling and casting. Check with the locals and ask for advise.
Live bait = whatever is available.
?Does it matter what time of the day you fish, off the coast
Usually you'll start just after dawn and fish until about noon or 1 p.m.

and...............

yankeeirishman - 7-12-2005 at 10:39 PM

what size hooks for the surf and such? Thanks so far for the very useful info,,,to all!

Anonymous - 7-13-2005 at 05:30 AM

Yankee, read this, it should help you to enjoy Baja shore fishing. We have always had good luck from the beach at Long Point near Jesus Maria. Good luck. http://www.stripers247.com/surfcasting.htm

yankeeirishman - 7-13-2005 at 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
Yankee, read this, it should help you to enjoy Baja shore fishing. We have always had good luck from the beach at Long Point near Jesus Maria. Good luck. http://www.stripers247.com/surfcasting.htm

nice site. TXS!
BTW...it takes only a second to become a member...sounds like you have some good knowledge that should be shared....

Taco de Baja - 7-13-2005 at 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by yankeeirishman
what size hooks for the surf and such? Thanks so far for the very useful info,,,to all!

For surf fishing I use a #4 or #2 hook, helps in not catching too many small fry.

As for catching Halibut and White Sea Bass I have caught many from the rocky points off the beach, just cast your lure out - but be caerful of snags. Also don't ever think the water is too shallow for halibut, I have seen and caught large ones in 2-3 feet of water. My friend who also spearfishes for the halibut, can also attest to the shallow water loving halibut, he does not come out of the water until his ample stomach scrapes the bottom:lol:

I object

bigzaggin - 7-16-2005 at 09:49 AM

to being asked the size of my rod.

use cut squid.

pokey - 7-16-2005 at 11:08 AM

" You dont really have to cast out that far. Look for areas where waves appear to lose their shape as the head to shore.....that is usually a deeper trough of water where fish will hang. Try and drag the bait through there."

Thats a great piece of fishing advice Hook shared. When fishing from sandy beaches without obvious structure those troughs are where the fish are going to be holding.

Bruce R Leech - 7-16-2005 at 11:34 AM

Most of the advice given above is good. but sense the equipment is vary expensive I recommend you go out fishing with some of the old timers in your aria a few times and See just what works best for that aria. it differs so much from place to place and time of year. and also individual preference.

pokey - 7-16-2005 at 06:18 PM

These surf perch that are so prolific on Baja's northern Pacific coast can provide great fun for kids who don't yet have the patience for the big ones. They're totally like the bluegill/panfish that many of us first caught on fishing trips with our fathers;easy to catch and abundant. They taste pretty good dipped in cracker crumbs and a little beer and grilled. :biggrin: fish tacos!
The perch are small so most freshwater fishing gear will work on them. I like to use a 7wt fly rod with an 8lb tippet. The wind is often a b!tch but cast are usually less than 30 ft, so the 7wt can get the weighted fly in range.

Thank you all 4 the....

yankeeirishman - 7-17-2005 at 09:50 AM

I have learned alot. Thanks to you all. Please keep putting in your 2 cents worth. The more bits I read, the more I learn. Oh...my boy really likes this post too.

[Edited on 7-17-2005 by yankeeirishman]

One thing I feel is NOT necessary

Hook - 7-18-2005 at 10:50 AM

is to go out and purchase an expensive 9 foot+ surf pole. You simply do not need distance on the Pacific side to have fun. The east coast (of the US) is a different story.

Find a used 7-8 foot spinning outfit somewhere, if you aren't comfortable with a conventional reel (cranking handle along the same axis as the spool). I prefer a conventional reel because it is much less subject to line trouble ONCE YOU GET THE HANG OF CASTING THEM. Conventional reels today have adjustable anti-backlash controls that can remove much of the "thumbing" of the spool during the cast. They also have much better drag systems in case you hook a beast.

Spinners continually twist the line as a matter of how they retrieve line. No bueno! It will eventually cause loops in pretty short order. Yes, they can probably outcast a conventional in distance......but distance is not as important as reading the surfline to predict structure of the bottom.

I am no fan of casting squid strips or clams or bloodworms out into the surf and sticking the pole in a holder and waiting. Very boring unless you are on the beach at Malibu or Salt Creek where the scenery around you may warrant this. ;) Use a sliding sinker and keep your bait moving through the surf zone until you find the right conditions. Walk the shoreline, beachcombing and looking for sand crabs and getting exercise and staying cool near the water.

I'll be bringing some basic surf rigs with me to try at La Bocana this weekend. Should be good if I can find some sand crabs.

[Edited on 7-18-2005 by Hook]

This might help also

Skipjack Joe - 7-19-2005 at 11:52 PM

http://www.baja.net/fud/index.php?t=msg&th=7042&start=0&rid=0