BajaNomad

Be Careful out there.

OLDFEZZYWIG - 7-16-2005 at 02:33 PM

DARIAN JUNGLE, PANAMA -- An Atlanta area family had a very frightening experience while on a Fourth of July weekend fishing trip off the coast of Panama - and it was all caught on video.

Marietta resident Robert Schultz, his 18-year-old son Stephen and 20-year-old daughter Allison were on a fishing trip before Stephen went off to college at Colorado State.

Stephen had a Black Marlin on the line about 30-miles off Darian Jungle, Panama.

The beautiful fish, estimated to weigh about 600 pounds, had jumped a couple of times and then unthinkable happened.

The marlin came out of the water straight toward the boat. Part of the fish's body hit the side of the boat and part of its head hit teen fisherman Stephen.

Crew members quickly cut the fish loose and then family and crew turned their attention to Stephen who was on deck bleeding from the mouth and nose.

Schultz says "I saw it coming at me. I didn't have time to react. I was in shock and I was scared."

It took two hours to go the thirty miles back to shore and boat radioed ahead so a plane would be waiting. Stephen was flown 100 miles north to National Hospital in Panama City where x-rays showed Stephen's left sinus walls were broken in four places. He also suffered an inch-and-a-half cut in the back of throat and numerous lacerations inside the cheeks.

bajajudy - 7-16-2005 at 02:54 PM

Well I guess that's one way to catch and release.
Spooky

Bruce R Leech - 7-16-2005 at 05:24 PM

you can see the video on the Fox news web site. they had a camera rolling as it happened.

Dave - 7-16-2005 at 08:37 PM

It's nice to know that fish are learning to fight back.:yes: