BajaNomad

Gone to Baja trip report with 9 pages of pics

gonetobaja - 7-23-2005 at 12:22 PM

Got back from another trip to Gonzaga. Got some nice pics of fish and what you see under the water during a spearfishing trip. The great thing about spearfishing is that you get to see all of the othere cool stuff underwater. We got some nice Parrot fish and hogfish, as well as a full stringer of Lepoard Grouper. The weather was hotter than hell and the humidity was terrible. We were iceless for 3 days. I was a relief to get back to San Felipe to the AC rooms.

If the fishin wasnt so great this time of year I would aviod the heat, but thats why they call it "addicted..."

http://www.spearfishingvideos.com/Pictures/Trip-7-21/Trip-7-...

Have fun!
GTB

[Edited on 7-23-2005 by gonetobaja]

rpleger - 7-23-2005 at 05:24 PM

Great fotos,

Thank you very much

gonetobaja - 7-23-2005 at 07:02 PM

El gusto es mio!

Bruce R Leech - 7-23-2005 at 07:29 PM

Sounds like you had a good trip. lots of nice photos.

How hot was it while you were there?

capt. mike - 7-24-2005 at 05:29 AM

good pics Dale. 3 days, no ice????!!! you are nutz my friend. i'll go in oct when the weather becomes sane!!
is a hog fish like a sheep's head?

gonetobaja - 7-24-2005 at 12:20 PM

Bruce,

the temp was in the 90s with alot of humidity. It was one of those trips where you would wake up every few hours and have to take a cold shower to lower your body temp to fall back asleep.

I had passed by all of my usual ice pick up points because I was excited to get down to Gonzaga. When we got there Rancho Grande store was not only out of ice, but the alternator for the generator that runs all of his frigerators had taken a nap. There was to be no ice for anything for the first 3 days. At the end of the 3rd day I went to get some more waters and found out that a baja traveler that was passing through just happend to be a frigerator or generator repair man (Im still not sure what). He fixed the problem and we had some ice for the cooler of fish.

I have heard the hogfish called sheephead before. They are different than the ones that I hunt on the pacific side. They share the same trait that the big males get the bump on their head and the females are smaller and have different colors. Down here they call them Viejas, (old ladies). Whatever you call them they are great to eat and fun to hunt. There are alot of them at the islands. We only shoot 1 or 2 so we know we have fillets to eat, then we concentrate on lepoard grouper!

The road from Gonzaga is still an "off road course" I was happy to be headed back to San Felipe and rooms with AC. We made it back to San Felipe from Gonzaga in 2hours. That time is a real time. It cost me a passenger rear axle seal though. Made it back to the U.S.A. to find my passenger rear wheel bleeding differential fluid like blood all over the driveway.

I guess thats the price of admission for a Gonzaga Bay trip! Heading down again on the 24th for another go at it. We will be releasing our newest baja video of spearfishing at the Enchanted Islands at the end of the month! It is all about Gonzaga bay and the islands, very fun to watch.

http://www.spearfishingvideos.com for the trailer sneak preview.

Next time Im going to make my baja AC. Its a cooler with no lid, then you break a block of ice up in it and add some water (salt or fresh) then you sit in the shade and put your feet in the freezing water. Your blood rushes through your feet and gets cooled off and then cools down your whole body. It works great. I can stay comfortable in the hottest weather with my Baja AC.

To top it off get a Ice cold pacifico and drink it at the same time! Truly one of the finer things in life....:biggrin:

Looks like fish tonight for dinner!

GTB
www.gonetobaja.com

neilmac - 7-25-2005 at 01:48 PM

GTB;

Great photos; looks like a lot more fun than sitting in a boat in the sun at 100 degrees!

What do you do with the fish for days with no ice? Can you keep'em from going bad?

Neil

Ya gotta have friends,

gonetobaja - 7-25-2005 at 09:03 PM

Day 1 was getting there, Day 2 we hunted the islands and got to see the undersea life. We went back to Alfonsinas with 2 nice parrot fish, 1 grouper and 1 barred snapper. My friend Antonio at Alfonsinas allows me to keep my first days catch in his freezer. We clean the fish and then bag them and put them in the freezer. The next day we hunt all day and then put the fish in the boat under a wet towell for the trip back. Then we grab the whole lot and put in in one cooler. The frozen fish keeps the day 2 fish cold, then we head straight to San Felipe to the Baja Mar resturant where my amigo Ulyses fillets and bags our catch and then freezez it in the resturant freezer. The next day when we leave the fish are filleted and frozed ready for the trip home.

The only fish I have ever lost was a stringer of 5 nice grouper that flipped out of the back of the truck when the tailgate popped open, thats the only time.

Ill stop by the stores on the way down and not depend on Rancho Grande store for supplies next month. Although that store is like a gem in the desert.

GTB

http://www.spearfishingvideos.com
http://www.gonetobaja.com

Dale, as soon as you know your

capt. mike - 7-26-2005 at 05:28 AM

october schedule, pls email me so i can plan on attending!!!

have you done anything yet to network clients divers etc. from AZ markets?

try Southwest diver mag classifieds. i am psyched but need the perfect oct weather, warm seas - cool nights!!!!
cold beer, frozen tequila shots.......grilled pargo.....uh oh...here i go....baja fever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tomas Tierra - 7-27-2005 at 10:07 AM

why did you shoot the parrot fish?? yuck

Fried fish....

gonetobaja - 7-27-2005 at 01:56 PM

Its always hard on people when they see a parrotfish. Along with triggerfish, and Hogfish they are branded by many as the "Yuck..." fish.

Taste of fishes varies from place to place. Down in Baja I have eaten Triggerfish, Hogfish, Parrot fish, Snapper, Grouper, Porgys, Popano, Spotted Bass, octupus, snails, squid, shrimp, quail, and rabbit. I can say that they all taste different, and they all taste good. You cook them in different ways, raw, ceviche, fried, mojo de ahjo, etc.

One of the best tasting things I ever had was snail ceviche from some miners while camping out on San Marcos Island just north of Mulege. Snails and crackers with modelo, "Yuck...".

If the snails where multi colored and beautifull, I would have still ate em....

Those parrot fish where given to Naty my partner and he fried them up in oil. Yes in the splendor of his 1 room concrete box he and his family sat back and told me the same thing. "Yuck....I wish I was eating a seagull instead, esposa!!! Donde esta my boneless all organic chicken breast!" When they found out that they didnt have any organic chicken breast in the freezer, and for that matter no freezer either we all agreed that the deepfried Parrot fish with beans rice and tortillas wasnt so bad.

Maybe you cooked yours wrong?

But then again I can deepfry most anything and it tastes ok to me.

GTB

Fish count....

gonetobaja - 7-27-2005 at 02:10 PM

For the record.

Fish count

2 Green Parrot fish
2 Finescale Triggerfish
1 Mexican hogfish
8 lepoard grouper (10-15lbs ea.)
1 barred snapper
1 opaleye (mistaken id by a first time customer)
Total days spearfishing 2
Total spearos in the water 4

7 of the 8 grouper where shot by Naty my partner in a 2 hr period when he happend upon a school of aprox 50 or more.

We gave all the grouper to our customers who had only gone after grouper after shooting their parrot fish and hogfish. We all had plenty of shots at more parrot and hog fish as well as triggers, however after the customers had bagged one of those they went for harder fish.

We wanted to make sure they went home with fish. We asked them to go after the harder fish and not to nail a bunch of one kind of fish just cause its easy. They tried it and didnt shoot any lepoard grouper. So we gave them ours for trying.

GTB

Spoken like a true addict...

Sharksbaja - 7-27-2005 at 02:40 PM

but I wonder if you would dive in July had you not the business? Good quick report though.
It sounds as if your "Mexican" friends are mucho importante in the scheme of transporting and keeping the catch wholesome.

What do other individuals do with their "amassed" catch they intend to transport, particularily in the hot months?

I like trigger fish and so does everyone I cook it for.I don't get it. I eat fish everyday and I can only think of a couple of instances many years ago that were wierd.
I also have eaten my fair share of sea goodies like yourself GTB. Always a good experience, as long as it's fresh.

Be creative, not afraid.;D

Dive in July for no money?

gonetobaja - 7-27-2005 at 06:58 PM

Well, Im sorry to say yes......

The summer has always been my favorite time to dive out at the lslands. I have been down there when it is so hot that I would just sit and laugh to myself about how sorry I was that I would make myself go through the heat just so I would get a chance to shoot a nice fish. In fact, Im leaving down on friday to do some work on my house and then go for a shore dive.

As far as transporting fish, The key is in the ice. Get ice in San Felipe before you go south to Gonzaga. When you get there re-load at the store. I would guess that Antonio dosent have enough room in the freezer for all of the tourists fish. I also keep my fish on a stringer in the water untill Im ready to leave the dive site, it keeps them fresh longer when its 100 deg outside.

Alot of the stuff that I have eaten in Baja was because of hunger not choice. But when your choices are limited different things taste better than they normaly would. The owner of my campo once got stranded at the islands for 3 days when his panga motor went out. He had to eat a seagull.....I asked him if it tasted like chicken and he looked me right in the eye and said "no,it tastes like fish...."

That is a true story....

I myself hope to never eat seagulls:no:

GTB

Tomas Tierra - 7-28-2005 at 11:09 PM

Certainly anything with scales or a shell before a sh#t hawk..

vandenberg - 7-29-2005 at 11:06 AM

The best fish taco stand in Loreto ( El Rey ) uses a lot of parrot fish. It's a favorite with both the natives and gringos. Always busy !!.And they are delicious.:yes:

backninedan - 7-29-2005 at 12:24 PM

The best fish tacos in Loreto are at pangalapa, I didnt think any would top el rey, but pangalapa did it.

Parrot fish is actually a favorite

jrbaja - 7-29-2005 at 12:31 PM

of many. Even Carol, once she gets over the thought of eating something so pretty. The meat has been delicious when we have had it.
Triggers make some of the best tacos and ceviche!

gonetobaja - 7-29-2005 at 12:48 PM

http://www.spearfishingvideos.com/Movies/TrailerV2.wmv

Short video of a trip with underwater footage, La Paz and Islas Encantadas. Pargo(snapper) and Parrot fish.

this is how you get a parrot fish....

ric - 8-7-2005 at 08:54 AM

Anybody know how far a boat ride it is from puerto penasco to the enchanted islands?

[Edited on 8-7-2005 by ric]

too far....

gonetobaja - 8-7-2005 at 09:51 AM

Its got to be at least 6hrs by boat to get to the islands. It you where gonna go for it I would head from Penasco to San Felipe then follow the coast down to the islands. A better chance would be to trailer your boat to San Felipe and then head out from there. The best bet is to trailer your boat down to Puertecitos and launch there.

Of course it depends on what type of boat and range you have and how much you can tollerate long boat trips. What type of boat is it? Is your boat kept in Penasco or do you just trailer and launch there? I hear that there are some islands by penasco but I have never been there.

GTB

ric - 8-7-2005 at 01:12 PM

Are we talking 120 or 150 miles? Or is it even farther? I would not attempt it in my current boat, a 2000 trophy 2302 with 150hp mercury and 100 gallon fuel tank. I get about 2mpg so I dont go more than 60 miles one way. But my next boat in 1-3 years will have much greater range. Long boat trips dont bother me, especially if i do it as an overnighter. I leave my boat in puerto penasco now.

Very few islands in puerto penasco area. bird island is 30 miles se of puerto penasco and that is it. Fishing can be pretty good at the island but nothing like the enchante islands from what I here.

Ric - where do you live? AZ??

capt. mike - 8-7-2005 at 06:46 PM

if you want to hook up with Dale we can simply fly to Puertocitos, i am in Scottsdale, so get in touch if you want - he has all the gear and you pay one $$ for total package plus flight which is split $$.

i will be going once the weather gets right, around Octubre...
get in touch amigo. email @

info at comanchebuilders dot com

or via flybaja dot com

he knows his caca about baja spearing!!

capt. mike - 8-7-2005 at 06:50 PM

By the way Ric - i love Trophy sport boats! talk to me please when you decide to sell yours, i'd have you cruise (on SOC) it to Mulege direct from Guaymas, easy 83 mile run, then fly you back to...?:smug:;D:biggrin:

ric - 8-7-2005 at 07:46 PM

capt mike

I will definately give you a call when I am ready to sell. Proabably in a year or two. I have been thinking about the Trophy 2902. You have any reports on that boat from anybody who has owned one for a while? My 2302 has been the perfect boat for fishing the puerto penasco area out to a maximum of 50-60 miles, but I am looking for something with more range and also to be better for overnighting.

capt. mike - 8-8-2005 at 04:33 AM

i like the trophys with the 135 I/O isuzu merc diesel option. great mileage but you need to have access to a good marina for maintenance - not one at my plaace in mulege....yet that is! There are some big plans in the offing for mulege though.

can you send me some pics of your boat and an equipment list?

yankeeirishman - 8-9-2005 at 06:45 PM

excellent report. thanks!

I need a plane man!!!!!

gonetobaja - 8-11-2005 at 11:52 PM

Mike,

I could use a pilot to take some of my customers direct to Gonzaga Bay and meet them there. I also need to talk to you about how much it would cost to split some expenses regarding some sight seeing by air in the San Felipe area.

Send me a U2U, or Im gonna just call you up.

I have got another trip heading out on the 24th so Ill be posting another report after that. My friend has been seeing alot of whale sharks in the early morning.....

Mike, how many pepole with gear can your plane carry? Is it possible to film out of it?

GTB

capt. mike - 8-12-2005 at 03:03 AM

i am pretty swamped with my new start up project now. some weekends available but M-F i am buried! Sat early i am going to fly to riverside to look at a boat. my last target fell thru due to a total flake on the selling end....
you need a 6 place cherokee six which is a flying Suburban. i can take 3 plus me and 100-200 lbs of gear depending on pax weight and gas needed to tanker.
avgas is real high now close to $4 a gal some markets. along with all the rest of the costs with small plane flying like insurance which is going out of control....thx all you tort lawyers out there.....

we can discuss some stuff but with me in phx and you in socal it will get pricey just with positioning. the best use would be drop offs from phx market. i love going to gonzaga by air.
where you going on 24th? if you took or some drove to SF i could pick up there and its 30 min or so to gonzaga from there.:coolup::spingrin: