BajaNomad

Bismarck II in La Paz

sylens - 7-24-2005 at 03:56 PM

Outstanding seafood. Worth checking out. Their chiles rellenos de mariscos were outrageously delicious. We were there in May so I cannot recall location except that it was a nice walk from the Malec?n in a middle class neighborhood with tons of bougainvillea. Most locals will be able to direct you.

Buen provecho.
Lili

capt. mike - 7-24-2005 at 04:36 PM

we once had the worst lobster of our lives there. it was full of amonia. when we complained the cook came out and said we were full of it. i said, "here iron chef, taste it!" he refused, no charge but they scowled at us all evening. never been back, never going either!:fire::O:lol::lol::lol:

Dave - 7-24-2005 at 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
we once had the worst lobster of our lives there. it was full of amonia.

Old restaurant trick, peeing on the lobster.;D

jrbaja - 7-24-2005 at 10:02 PM

:lol::lol::lol:

are you kidding??!!

capt. mike - 7-25-2005 at 05:09 AM

come on.......really???????

pee n vinegar

jrbaja - 7-25-2005 at 08:37 AM

Not just a description anymore!:lol:

vandenberg - 7-29-2005 at 11:16 AM

Had lobster there also,and indeed it was the worst I ever tasted. Took it with us,before they resold it to some poor bugger in a lobster salad, and fed it to the street dogs. Even they sniffed it suspiciously:lol::lol:

sylens - 7-29-2005 at 04:42 PM

sorry capt. mike and vandenberg! we did not have lobster and what we ordered was excellent. maybe the restaurant is better now? or maybe it is just the lobster that they pee on? or maybe we lucked out with the only two good dishes the restaurant serves.
lili

Ken Bondy - 7-29-2005 at 08:59 PM

Mike cooked lobster with an ammonia smell is extremely dangerous. Don't touch it with a ten foot pole, much less eat it. I have known people who have died from eating it (in Brazil).

++Ken++

Dave - 7-29-2005 at 09:08 PM

How long does it take?

I've got plenty of ammonia and I'm right next door to Puerto Nuevo.:light:

Marinero - 11-16-2005 at 03:31 PM

I was in La Paz a couple of years ago and was directed to this spot by a local. However, I think I didn't get to the right place. Look at the name. Is there more than one with a similar name?

comitan - 11-16-2005 at 04:58 PM

There is only one.

vandenberg - 11-16-2005 at 07:08 PM

Bismark 2

They seem to have a new restaurant in the new Costa Baja development. Think I did see it there. Pretty place, probably worth a try.

Annie T. - 3-9-2006 at 04:26 PM

Is there not the side walk stand of Bismarck on the malecon with the cafe behind it? We ate there once and I think it was called the Bismarck.(Maybe not the II) The stand has wonderful food and is always crowded. The cafe behind was not so good. :?:

[Edited on 3-9-2006 by Annie T.]

Pompano - 3-9-2006 at 04:36 PM

I don't believe so, Annie T. Although, it could have been one for a short duration..say during the Carnival.

Does anyone know if the old Bismarck is still operating? The one that is/was back in town a ways?

By the way, Mike...did you ever go back again for another ammonia-flavored lobster?

Annie T. - 3-9-2006 at 05:21 PM

Pompano,Yea, there is a stand in La Paz on the Malecon between M. Hidalgo and Constitution.Maybe it is called the Bismarkcito or some such. And about four years ago a cafe with the same name was opened right behind it. The sidewalk runs between them. We have eaten at the stand for at least four or five years. really good seafood tacos.
We understood it was owned by the same people who had the Bismarck II. But, since we are getting pretty durned old we could be imagining just about anything. Although, we remember most of the places and food you have mentioned concerning Mulege.
God, what memories. Damn, now I have a drool problem. Annie T.

comitan - 3-9-2006 at 05:59 PM

The old bismark is now a ferriteria.

Capt. George - 3-10-2006 at 06:37 AM

man, don't that pee you off!

I eat at the Bismark on the Malecon, far end of town...

caldo de mariscos...always superd....hope they just used fish stock for the broth.

this is a peeer capt.g

Capt. George - 3-10-2006 at 06:38 AM

pis_ is a four letter word?

hey George Carlin, add # 8 to your list! george

Oso - 3-10-2006 at 07:07 PM

Thank you all for this thread. This is the first time in years that I have felt less than totally demoralized about the fact that I can no longer eat lobster (nor shrimp, crab, crawfish,i.e; crustaceans) Knowing that I could get poisoned even if I wasn't allergic somehow makes it all more bearable.

fdt - 3-10-2006 at 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oso
bearable.

If I translate that would it be Osoable?:lol::lol::lol:

Oso - 3-11-2006 at 04:23 PM

Bearly, but it bears looking into...

(For those who actually want to know, it's "aguantable"):rolleyes:

Bismark

TacoRunner - 3-13-2006 at 03:05 PM

Like Capt George said el caldo de pescado is great. Had it last year and great cruda cure too. Then finish it off with a cold Pacifico or Doz XX Lager. :cool: