BajaNomad

pacific side report

fishinrich - 8-26-2005 at 04:41 AM

Spent a couple of weeks on the pacific side fishing between rosallilita and cono. The surf fishing was good with corvina and halibut to 20" and some real nice spotfin croaker 8 to 10lbs. Fishing out of my boat was a bust due to the red tide, in some spots you could not even surf fish it was so bad. The weather was great, sunny in the day and cool at night so that the jacket had to be put on. The largest wave was 1' and most days you had to wait for the afternoon wind chop to kick the water up. fishin rich

David K - 8-26-2005 at 06:51 AM

Thanks for checking in Rich!

PacO - 8-26-2005 at 08:07 AM

I saw your rig pulling into the El Rosario pemex a few weeks ago when I was pulling out on my way to B de LA..... that's a heck of a set up you have there. Then only thing I needed a jacket for on that trip was as a pillow.

Frank - 8-26-2005 at 10:49 AM

Hey Rich what type of bait did you use? Do they have sandcrabs down there?

BornFisher - 8-26-2005 at 11:06 AM

Thanks for the reoprt. I didn`t figure the red tide was down that far.
Great job on those huge spotfins-- reminds me of the pic. from some book (Peterson?) of some 10 pounders caught down that way. Last time we fished it, it was 2 at a time corbina and bass off the rocks. And a few mystery fish from the kayak!!

bait

fishinrich - 8-26-2005 at 11:15 AM

Frank---I ran into two guys one afternoon who were whipping up a frenzy in the surf with plastics,spoons etc. and catching nothing. The next day they switched to clams as bait and started catching fish. They do have sand crabs down that way, some very large ones that stay on the hook well. But by far your best bet is to dig up a few pismos and use them as bait. I am sure mussels off the rocks would work just as well. fishin rich

woody with a view - 8-26-2005 at 05:45 PM

friends at the south end of your trip during the 4 of july raved about the spotfins that would come in every afternoon. they'd be sippin' and talking story and all of a sudden, "there they are!" a clam on a treble hook did the trick. catch and release all evening, every day.

seems the clam c-cktails kept everyone groovin'....:cool: