BajaNomad

Should some GPS knowledge be private?

Sharksbaja - 9-10-2005 at 12:34 PM

My question is simple:

Is it ok to post GPS data from wherever, whenever?

Bob and Susan - 9-10-2005 at 12:37 PM

yea...the White House...the nuclear power plant...Hoover DAM

it's ok to post the location of Osama Bin

Sharksbaja - 9-10-2005 at 12:38 PM

But not your house?

comitan - 9-10-2005 at 12:41 PM

The GPS system was released to the public to use, why should it be restricted in any way. When it was released to the public there never was any restrictions put on it for public use. The answer to your question is yes.
I would be interested in why you think might think it shouln't be posted on this site.

Sharksbaja - 9-10-2005 at 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
The GPS system was released to the public to use, why should it be restricted in any way. When it was released to the public there never was any restrictions put on it for public use. The answer to your question is yes.
I would be interested in why you think might think it shouln't be posted on this site.

So it wouldn't bother you in the least if the GPS data for your home was posted anywhere, anytime?

It is the privacy issue I talkin' about.

Bob and Susan - 9-10-2005 at 12:47 PM

if you look at "google earth" you will see a picture of our house with just an address and not even using gps

I sure if "they" can give this info to the world for free "they" could watch me mowing the lawn today... :lol:

Post the gps stuff...that's the future:yes::yes:

GPS

MrBillM - 9-10-2005 at 12:47 PM

If you've got a map you can plot in the Lat/Lon of the White House. What they should be doing for Security sites is using the previously established variation factors no matter how inconvenient that might be.

As far as Baja goes, I suppose it's too late to keep the San Felipe area a secret. If they know how to get there, they may as well be able to find anywhere else.

Back in the days when I lived down in the Indio area, we would go out fishing on the Salton Sea. All of the fishermen had CB radios and the locals would communicate the fishing sites in code so that ONLY they knew where the fish were biting. This secret GPS info seems to be the same line of thinking.

I can't criticize since I'd do the same thing.

comitan - 9-10-2005 at 12:49 PM

I don't have the way point for my house if I did it wouldn't bother me a bit to have them published. I think Bob& Susans Post takes some of the bite out of the issue.

Diver - 9-10-2005 at 12:49 PM

There are a few out-of-the-way hot springs in the northwest that I charge big $$ for the coordinates.

Almost guaranteed to have hot water, privacy, naked women (if you bring them), cold beer (if you bring some) and good times for all.

Prices vary by season and whether or not you invite me along. :lol: :lol:

Bob and Susan - 9-10-2005 at 12:52 PM

"Almost guaranteed to have hot water, privacy, naked women (if you bring them), cold beer (if you bring some) and good times for all."

All you need is a BOAT for that!!!:P:P

Diver - 9-10-2005 at 12:55 PM

OK, then I'll charge for the coordinates for my boat ! :lol: :lol:

Prices will vary accordingly. :lol:

David K - 9-10-2005 at 12:59 PM

Exactly...

Anyway, I will agree with Sharksbaja that GPS waypoints should not be posted for any places that don't want visitors (like some rancho's private mota garden)... And none are, to my knowledge.

GPS directions to open, public areas for the enjoyment of the hiker or traveler to visit, is just a new way to provide directions and it's a fun way, too!

Peace!

comitan - 9-10-2005 at 01:02 PM

Sorry Diver they don't have much value for us full time Baja people its just to cold up there, Bring um down here we have hot springs just need naked women. We can share the bounty, from the sale of the coodinates.:lol::lol::lol:

Sharksbaja - 9-10-2005 at 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Exactly...

Anyway, I will agree with Sharksbaja that GPS waypoints should not be posted for any places that don't want visitors (like some rancho's private mota garden)... And none are, to my knowledge.

GPS directions to open, public areas for the enjoyment of the hiker or traveler to visit, is just a new way to provide directions and it's a fun way, too!

Peace!

There ya go Dave, I knew there WAS an exception.:lol:

comitan - 9-10-2005 at 01:11 PM

Just because David agrees with you that does not dispell the fact that someone can take the coordinates of any place or many and publish them, even in a book and charge for it.

rpleger - 9-10-2005 at 01:23 PM

?Any body want to buy the coordinates to my house?

Sharksbaja - 9-10-2005 at 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
Just because David agrees with you that does not dispell the fact that someone can take the coordinates of any place or many and publish them, even in a book and charge for it.

Correcto Comitan.

Like I said, "some places"

It may not be funny to everyone:no:

Why is that so hard to understand for Americans.
Why shouldn't Mexicans property coordinates be published? I can think of a couple. Would any of them care? I think a few probably would.

comitan - 9-10-2005 at 01:52 PM

What you are trying to say is that people should use discretion when posting GPS coodinates. That would include a location in any country.

Bob and Susan - 9-10-2005 at 02:12 PM

I too think SOME gps coordinates should not be posted but some could.....

like disneyland
or downtown Ensanada
or the boat ramp at Santa Rosalia
or Pam Bolles Baja BIG Fish store

but gps coordinates like David K's house SHOULD NOT be posted...EVER!!!

and don't post mine....right now at least:biggrin:

jerry - 9-10-2005 at 03:42 PM

ok so we decide that some can and some cant who draws the line?? where is the line drawn?? hows it gona be inforsed?? im thinking that other then individual choices will be peeing into the wind no matter what. your gona get some on ya have a good one

Sharksbaja - 9-11-2005 at 12:56 AM

oh crud....better not look at the other post then! I will probably get sued at the least:P:lol:

bajaden - 9-11-2005 at 11:46 AM

Where as I couldn't find my way out of a closet with a GPS, your all safe from me. I do agree with Sharky though. Some places should remain privite. I know some beautiful places where I'm sure the people there wouldn't want the world tramping through. Man, I agreed with Sharky. By the way, how's the resturante business? Oh, and could I have your GPS cooriniates. Where's spell check when you need it?

It might be ok.....

Sharksbaja - 9-11-2005 at 01:35 PM

to agree with me but your taking a big risk!:lol:

I can say that biz is a bit better this year although I still maintain my own philosophy about the economy here. "Pre 9/11 economy and Post 9/11 economy". Still in the "Post" phase I'm afraid but we'll knock on wood for now. Thanks BajaD. Are you independantly minded, it would seem that way? I'll get those coordinates posted immediately!:lol:
We'll meet soon quite possibly, saludos.

Whens' Bruce coming back, any idea?

Diver - 9-11-2005 at 02:31 PM

Yeh, And where the heck is Pompano ?

Here are the coordinates to Pompano's ooothouse in the woods;
32-65-45.26, 85-63-12.35 ...... and if you believe that .....:lol: :lol:

Diver - 9-11-2005 at 02:35 PM

And what are the coordinates for Newport, anyway ?
I never find my way past the free ice cream at the Tillamook factory !:lol:
I'll never get there withought GPS !! :lol:

My wife can't figure out this GPS stuff either; no wonder !
She thinks our house is the center of the universe !!:lol: :lol:

Dave - 9-11-2005 at 10:40 PM

You people are goofy. It ain't GPS it's lat/long which is triangulated by satellite. Every spot on earth has an public address and you don't need GPS to find it.

The squarecircle - 9-12-2005 at 02:29 PM

Greetings All: >>>>>> Ride your thumb, take a bus, hop a plane, use a car, a hardly ferginson, goat, bycicle or get into a live transference machine, but certainly get to Sharks Seafood Bar. I did just that in my silver po-guar. I may be the first BajaNomad, of many to come to, to sample the fine bounty of this restauranteur's excellent mess in New Port Or. Truely a great gastronomical treat sure to pleasurably excite your most discriminate taste buds. An experience not to be missed. This guy LOVES Baja. I Bet he has a secret hideaway somewhere down there in baja. >>>> Hey Corky, posting your GPS co-ordinates in New Port might not be a bad idea for those BajaNomads the can not read a road map. Adelente amigos. >>>>>> Best Regards, sq.

What? List GPS

Sharksbaja - 9-12-2005 at 02:40 PM

and then I would have to chastise myself for divulging the best kept secret in these parts! :lol:

You are too kind Roy, and also a gentleman. Thank you again. We WILL meet up on more common ground later!:yes:

The easiest way to find "Sharks" for many here would be to simply locate the historic Coast Guard Station near the bridge.We are kiddykorner (sp?) on the Bayfront.:cool:

bajaden - 9-12-2005 at 11:56 PM

Well Hose beat me to it Sharky. Hope business stays good for you. I agree about the post and Pre 9/11. My business took a serious hit, but we survived and all is well. As far as my being independantly minded, well, Im independant, but Im not sure about that mind part.

Sharksbaja - 9-13-2005 at 12:24 AM

Methinks you have many opinions..........................tonight anyway!:lol:

Gracias amigo.

P.S. yer the only one I'll allow to call me Sharky:cool:

bajaden - 9-13-2005 at 09:38 AM

Im honored Mr. Sharks. Da nada........