BajaNomad

Ensenada Offshore & Punta San Jose

Don Jorge - 9-12-2005 at 09:28 AM

We fished the offshore area of Ensenada this weekend for naught. Dragged the marlin and bigeye spread for hours and hours and the big zero. Not even a knockdown. Water was green outside to the 117.20 line and then cleaned up and warmed up. Went 295 and out to the 213. Nada.

Late afternoon Saturday went inside to Punta San Jose and scratched some lings and rockfish for dinner. Called it quits, you gotta know when to fold em, put the boat back on the trailer and left it at the Coral. Came home through TJ Saturday night and crossed in 30 minutes at 10:30 pm.

Lots of seiners in the area, but they were fishing bait to feed the bluefins in the pens. We metered tons of bait outside but no pelagics for us.

FYI: The detour to the border is the old access down the hill and across to to the border frontage road but is now signal protected for easier crossing and u turn. Plenty of room to make the u turn for those hauling boats or trailers.

Filed my truck at Sauzal with 55 gallons of diesel and my nurse tank in the bed with another 100 gallons of diesel at $1.80 a gallon and my empty 100 gallon nurse tank took 380 liters of fuel. Pretty accurate and saved about $225.

When people moan and groan about Baja being built out I just crack up, there is so much coastline with nothing but coastline and I thank God it is so close yet far away.

Pic of Punta San Jose:

Great Report

LaTijereta - 9-13-2005 at 07:43 PM

Don,
We are headed down to the Coral this weekend to try our luck. Will bring two boats, and have a stab at the fish out beyond the island. One guy was down two weeks ago, and said the bait was not the best outside the marina? They lost have their bait by the time they got out to the pattys.:mad:
They still pulled out 5-6 dorado for the day, along with some small tuna. Water was 71, and water was blue.
Will use the "old" route to pull the boats back through TJ on Sunday..

Don Jorge - 9-14-2005 at 07:09 AM

Good Luck!

Water was blue until before last week when the wind started to blow and its still blowing outside and forecast to build. Not to mention a huge southern hemi swell on the way this weekend.

The old route is easy for those of us towing boats. I like it better now with the traffic light stopping some.

Most reports have the tuna way outside at the airplane up to the Cortez. The Cortez bank is gooing to be smoking this weekend with a huge swell and the tow in surf crews are already foaming.

Here is a chloro pic of yesterday showing the green water. Pelagigics like to hang in the blue and purple stuff and on the breaks off course.

I'll follow with a chloro pic of a week ago so you can see the difference. You probably know all this but it might be of interest to others. All my buddies who fish from the Coral are taking their clients bottom fishing this weekend.

Since I am working this weekend you will catch tons of fish. My boats in the dirt lot at the coral with all the blue canvas up, Dos Pelones, say hi to it for me. I wish it was here as the marlin fishing is good here right now.

Once again, good luck!
Jorge

[Edited on 9-14-2005 by Don Jorge]

[Edited on 9-14-2005 by Don Jorge]

Sept 7 chloro

Don Jorge - 9-14-2005 at 07:14 AM

Ah, blue water!