BajaNomad

Tuna fishing

Al G - 9-13-2005 at 09:44 AM

I was looking through my tackle today and realized I haven't a clue what I need to fish for tuna.
Would someone who has the time describe a good rig both bait and lure(??) if that is possible? My real question is about tackle, but also my reel is: Penn Special Senator Reel 113 HLW 4/0 Wide 1PC Frame W/Brass Spool 700 Yards 50lb Stren super braid line. Gear Ratio 3.25/1. I can get a specialized reel if needed. I need a tuna rod, but don't want to dump a lot of money until I catch a few and the bug bites hard. I know " El Cheapo". I have a 7' 25-40 lb rod. do I need one with wheels at the guides?
I want to get the right equipment, but want to get some first hand experience. I understand some from the past posts, but I'm still confused:?::?::?:
Al G

Let You Know..

LaTijereta - 9-13-2005 at 11:04 AM

Al,
We are fishing tuna out of the Coral Marina in Ensenada this weekend...I let you what works on Monday:spingrin::spingrin:

Frank - 9-13-2005 at 11:23 AM

Al check your u2u's

Santiago - 9-13-2005 at 05:38 PM

Al: post this on Allcoast and put a lot of paper in your printer. You will need to sign up if you're not a member. Here is the link to the tuna board: http://www.allcoastsportfishing.com/forum/dcboard.php?az=sho...
For what it's worth, every time I hook up to a 60# tuna (about once every couple of years) I remember why I like dorado fishing so much. If you get 2 within 2 hours you'll start begging for spotted bay bass.

bajajudy - 9-13-2005 at 05:45 PM

Amen, Sanitago
You get a tuna on, that sucker goes straight to the bottom and you understand immediately why the tuna rods are short!

Al did you miss this one

bajajudy - 9-13-2005 at 05:48 PM

That's a Tuna!

LaTijereta - 9-13-2005 at 06:57 PM

:lol::lol::lol:

Sharksbaja - 9-13-2005 at 07:11 PM

:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:
What tuna?????

jerry - 9-13-2005 at 07:47 PM

four yrs ago january a buddy of mine and i got a wild hair went to sanjose del cabo whent out to gordo banks#1. 80 boats catching football bonita
skipper ask about gordo banks 2 when we arrived 2 boats all rods bent double oour first one 63 lb next 68 next 4, more 84 to 96 lb after i quite said no more skipper proded me with a 2 speed reel it saved my life and i would highly recomend it for anyone seriousely targeting tuna
this was our first time fishing tune never know what your gona find
we were using sardins we got close to another boat i reach out and my new christmas watch slipped off my wrist
i watch a tuna nail it as it hit the water they wewre boiling for hours and as soon as the sardine hit the water it went right to the bottom crank up to the boat and bang to the bottom again the a big death circle a great trip when i have the time and figure out how to get a pic oj here ill post it have a good one jerry

bajajudy - 9-13-2005 at 09:22 PM

jerry
the tuna above came from the banks!

jerry - 9-13-2005 at 09:54 PM

nice fish bajajudy what did it weight??

bajajudy - 9-14-2005 at 06:50 AM

Well we didnt weigh it but our captain said probably about 40lbs....well actually he said 20 kilos