BajaNomad

no passport no come in........?

Bajabus - 10-13-2003 at 06:06 PM

well to make a long story short I have somehow ended up with my USA passport in Baja and only my current up to date FM-3 in my possession. I am flying down through Mexico City and for the life of me can't remember if I can get through La Migra with just my FM-3 Lucrativa. The only other document I have right now is a drivers Lic.

What do you think should I just go for it?

Oh I also don't have an exit letter or stamp in the FM-3 cause I drove out and never got one. I plan on telling an eloquent story about how the offical in Tecate ran out of ink for the stamp and the typewriter was broken.

Sounds like a good story to me......

Debra - 10-13-2003 at 06:23 PM

I'd go for it! Good luck, and let us know how it works.

Packoderm - 10-13-2003 at 06:28 PM

Why don't you just get a birth certificate? It doesn't take long. Then you can get a tourist's card. If they give you any trouble further down the line, you can just blame it on your evil twin.

Bajabus - 10-13-2003 at 06:40 PM

well it would be hard since I was born in italy and am leaving for EC this coming saturday. I do have a voter registration card. I will load up on as many official looking documents as possible. maybe I'll even get my car registration and utility bill notarized with a big wax stamp.

I seem to remember that I used to only show the FM-3. Ahh I can weave into the story that hacienda has my passport.

Dave - 10-13-2003 at 09:59 PM

You don't need an exit stamp for an FM3. Only with an FM2 are you required to notify Mexico when you leave. After I show my FM I have never been asked for my passport, anywhere in Mexico. Of course that doesn't account for much. You know as well as I that everything changes depending on where/when and how much!:lol:

Stephanie Jackter - 10-13-2003 at 10:39 PM

Documentation excepted, it sounds like you have enough of a creative imagination to make it through without too much of a problem. If that fails you can always pull out the billfold.-Stephanie

Bajabus - 10-14-2003 at 07:54 PM

well thanks for the encouragement. I am going to go for it and of course stephanies last comment is plan Z.

Dave, the Gordos at migra in La Paz always make me get a letter and tell me to get it stamped. As you so correctly point out it's at the whim of whomever is on duty.

sorry I haven't posted much lately, just kinda busy. I do love this board though.

If anyone is around Elias Calles for the next 3 or 4 weeks please stop by.

Have a good trip.

Stephanie Jackter - 10-15-2003 at 01:57 PM

Anonymous - 10-15-2003 at 08:07 PM

Why don't you fly via L.A. and get a drivers' licence? I understand they're pretty easy to get.

He lives in North Carolina

Stephanie Jackter - 10-15-2003 at 09:16 PM

I'm sure price and time would both be double going to LA. - p.s. Ha Ha. - Stephanie

Bajabus - 10-21-2003 at 09:45 AM

well no problem in MC they looked at the FM3 and asked me why I didn't have an exit stamp so I explained that it was late at tecateand the officers ink pad had run dry and said he could not stamp it.......ect.

Had me fill out a 2 second form since I was a tecnico with a lucrative FM3 and I was on my way.

Got the green light in Cabo. I was happy.

PS: I have a drivers lic but it ain't no stinkin good at la Migra.

elgatoloco - 10-21-2003 at 10:28 AM

Glad to see you made it!!!

Wish we were there to help with the clean up!!

Maybe next time!!

Mateo

Bajabus - 10-21-2003 at 10:40 AM

You guys are always welcome...howbout monday or tues right after hurricane Patricia..... I can give you the dengue suite.

elgatoloco - 10-21-2003 at 10:44 AM

Sign us up and please make a lunch reservation at Barrajas :D

Bajabus - 10-21-2003 at 12:48 PM

you got it. I'll also chase the crabs outta the hot tub at cocina pacifica and warm it up for you.