BajaNomad

bola to san felipe: advice needed

larry - 9-14-2005 at 03:36 PM

I would like feedback from some experienced Baja travellers. I am going to be camping in Bahia de los Angeles in December and was thinking of travelling to San Felipe by taking the Chapala turnoff and going through Bahia de Gonzaga and Puertocitos.

I will be driving an older Dodge Grand Caravan without four wheel drive. I was wondering if this is a foolish or risky idea. If it is a road that is driveable in this type of vehicle, what kind of speeds are we talking about driving? It is difficult from looking at maps to know what these roads are like.

Bob H - 9-14-2005 at 03:46 PM

You should make it - air down your tires for the soft sand through Coco's Corner. Lots of washboard after Gongaza Bay going North - is slow going there. But the scenery is great. If you have a problem someone will come by and help you out. Bring a couple of spare tires.
If you need gas, and the Pemex near Alfonsinas is closed there is usualy gas sold across the street out of one gallon containers, but I would make sure you have a full tank when you start out.
Trip report when you get back would be great!
Bob H