BajaNomad

La Diferencia- TJ

elgatoloco - 9-24-2005 at 04:28 PM

We finally made it to this restaurant today. We went down to pick up our new front door and decided to check it out. We had a fabulous lunch. We shared and order of shredded duck tacos served with anchiote and guayaba salsas for appetizers.
Then we had an original recipe ceasar salad prepared tableside. We both had the squash blossom soup-chicken broth,mushrooms,onion,chile poblano,corn and squash blossoms, then we shared a trio of beef medallions each with it's own distinct sauce, one had chile arbol, one had cuitlacoche and green sauce, and one had sauteed mushrooms. We finished with a flaming mexican coffee drink and a piece of pis with rumpopo. Great service,great food, great time. We are currently clearing some time on the calender for a return dinner date. Check it out.

jeans - 9-24-2005 at 10:56 PM

Yes! La Diferencia has the most unique menu I have ever seen! I had a Chile Relleno stuffed with cuitlacoche...which took some trust on my part to put in my mouth. It was a black goo oozing out when I cut it open. It was wonderful.

I was with a large group whose Baja talk stopped when the meals started arriving as everyone was enthralled with their choices and tastes were being shared all around.

It is one of the restaurants participating in the Restaurant Passport program put on by the city. Passports entitle you to a glass of wine, an appetizer and a cab ride back to the border in about a dozen restaurants. Passports can be purchased at Discover Baja Travel Club.

BajaNomad - 9-25-2005 at 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jeans
It is one of the restaurants participating in the Restaurant Passport program put on by the city. Passports entitle you to a glass of wine, an appetizer and a cab ride back to the border in about a dozen restaurants.
See:
http://www.tijuanaonline.org/restaurants/

gonetobaja - 12-28-2005 at 04:36 PM

That resturant is awsome!!

I had crickets in blue corn tortillas with some ant larve. I also had blood and bone marrow.

NO JOKE

It was all prepared gormet style.

This is the best place to eat in TJ

Thats why it has its name.

I second gonetobaja & elgatoloco

Gypsy Jan - 12-28-2005 at 08:26 PM

La Diferencia is a great restaurant with delicious and gourmet Mexican cuisine.

We have had many wonderful meals there over the last several years and have never been disappointed (do a search of the archives). The prices for food and drinks are moderate (except when you get crazy ordering from their large, well-selected menu of high end tequilas).

The interior decoration of the restaurant is beautiful and true to the Mexican esthetic, so much so that you wish to wander through the various private rooms surrounding the central courtyard, looking at the art on display and then, even, bending down to study the details of the hand-crafted door handles, as you go from room to room.

The service is courteous, observant and gracious; something that is taken for granted in Europe, but rarely found in U.S. restaurants.

That said, I would like to add that it is located in a safe and upscale area of Tijuana. If you are driving, the parking lot is secluded from the boulevard and there are guards patrolling the area.

Gee, do I think that you should go there?

Yes, yes, yes.

[Edited on 12-29-2005 by Gypsy Jan]

[Edited on 12-29-2005 by Gypsy Jan]