BajaNomad

HALF WAY HOUSE is a hit for dinner!!!

David K - 10-11-2005 at 05:59 PM

Our second time eating there (to make sure it wasn't just a fluke), was just as great ot better!

The Half Way House (Medio Camino) has been a landmark along the road to Ensenada since the 1940's... Located 'half way' between Tijuana and Ensenada... or more closely between the Cantamar and the Plaza del Mar/La Mision exit on a stunning view point above the Pacific...

Both times the chef came to our table to give us his recommendations and both times we were not disappointed!

Last time we were hungry for lobster... Baja Angel ordered the chef's special lobster with garlic (it was huge, sweet, and tender) and I had the Lobster Half Way House style which was a sea food combo included scallops, shrimp, clams, and a great sauce. Again, not overcooked (Puerto Nuevo style), so it was tender...

Here is Elizabeth's special lobster plate...

David K - 10-11-2005 at 05:59 PM

Another angle on her dinner plate...

David K - 10-11-2005 at 06:02 PM

Here's my 'Lobster Half Way House Style'...

Mine was $22 and Angel's was $24... both came with soup or salad and a wonderful dessert!

Diver - 10-11-2005 at 06:09 PM

David,

That is a special woman to allow you the time for your photos while inhaling the smell and site of her scrumptious meal !

You would have seen a fork in the photo if that was my dinner !! :lol:

Bajaboy - 10-11-2005 at 06:13 PM

DK-

Tracy and I often eat, okay snack there, before heading down the coast. It's kind of like our decompression champber. We slow down, take in the scenery and remember why we're in Baja.

We met the owner, Johnny (?), just after he took over the place about 4-5 years ago. He said he worked at a nice hotel in San Francisco before returning to Mexico.

We normally just get the ceviche and some Pacificos but have enjoyed anything from French onion soup to fantastic chiliquiles. We always sit on the outside patio over-looking the Pacific with rarely anyone else out there.

Anyways, I concur with you..the food is very good...but the prices are starting to go up.

Zac

Baja Angel - 10-11-2005 at 06:15 PM

:wow: The pictures don't look near as good as in person! The lobster meat was cooked so perfect, it was tender enough to melt in your mouth (drool). It was covered with fresh chopped garlic and sliced a chili pepper in the middle. It was without a doubt the best lobster dinner I have ever eaten! I couldn't believe it, I had to go Mmmmmm with every bite :yes:. It was amazing, anyway... I just wanted to add my input... :saint:

HALF WAY HOUSE

MIKEMCCARTY - 10-11-2005 at 06:23 PM

Very close to my moms house. We have had many great meals there. We usually do a"birthday dinner" here. They also have a great margarita.

Good call David

jrbaja - 10-11-2005 at 06:45 PM

We've been eating there since :lol::lol::lol:
But, we were discussing eggs benedict on here recently so, El Medio Camino serves Lobster Benedict.:O YUMMM
They also have the best steamed clams out of anywhere around and Carol loves their shrimp c-cktails.
Sorry to hear about those prices though!

elgatoloco - 10-11-2005 at 08:51 PM

Chef Johnny is an award winning chef. He runs the restaurant part of the Medio Camino and does a great job. When he first started there 4 or 5 years ago he did not have any menus, he would ask you what you wanted for dinner and then he would cook it. We always ask him what's good tonight? or surprise us! One night around Mexican Independence Day he prepared filet mignon dish with three small filets, each with it's own sauce, one green avocado sauce, one red chipotle, and one white mushroom/blue cheese sauce, it was awesome. We like to eat at the bar mid week and watch the fights and chat with the owner about his families LONG history in the area.

I ordered and drank my very first margarita at Medio Camino in 1973 at fifteen, made for me by Pepe. We partied there a lot over the years mainly because we could walk home if we had to, though we never did. They used to have some very big fiestas there with all the cowboys from the hills and thier ladies in their long flowing party dresses filling the dance floor and swirling and stomping the hardwood in unison with the hat dance all the while us P-nche gringos doing slammers and sucking down cervezas until we fell off our barstools and staggered out into the cool night air.

Memories, pressed between the pages of my mind
Memories, sweetened thru the ages just like TEQUILA! :lol:

Medio Camino birthplace of the margarita. The legend lives on!

yeeeeehaaaaaaaaa!

:biggrin:

David K - 10-11-2005 at 08:59 PM

Thanks so much Matt for your addition! Elizabeth and I think Johnny is awesome and look forward to trying other dishes... We were going to try the duck, but no 'patos' that day! He promissed us we would enjoy his special lobster ... and he was so right!

You got a head start in the drinking department! I remember after my 18th birthday (1975) going into the Club Miramar bar in San Felipe for my first 'legal' drink... I was down there for the first SCORE Baja 1000!:yes::yes::yes:

[Edited on 10-12-2005 by David K]

Dave - 10-11-2005 at 10:06 PM

Is there another Medio Camino besides what is known as the Half Way House?

Every time I've eaten there the food sucks. Once ordered duck that came to the table half frozen. What kind of award did the chef win, and where.....Fairbanks?

thebajarunner - 10-11-2005 at 10:22 PM

DK....
Is that a Mexicali cerveza in foto #3???
The only time I drank some of those I almost wished we had Coors Lite (and that is an ultimate insult from me)

Dreadful Stuff!!!!

Just strolled the place.....

Hook - 10-11-2005 at 10:30 PM

......AGAIN last Sunday.

Well, truth be told, we had a margarita there. They are good and strong. It is a tradition for us.

One time we were coming down to Baja and got in a horrendous fight in the car (who knows over what?). Anyway, it had been the silent treatment between us from about the time we crossed the border. I had reached my wits end and pulled off at the Halfway House. After one drink, we were smiling at each other. After two, we were giggling and walking along the cliff and made the usual run down to the beach for sand dollars. We can never pass the place without remembering how it ended our fight.

This past Sunday, I couldn't recall how nice the dining area was in the past. Really a very nice location.

Thanks for the word on the food. We'll have to actually EAT something there next time.

David K - 10-11-2005 at 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner
DK....
Is that a Mexicali cerveza in foto #3???
The only time I drank some of those I almost wished we had Coors Lite (and that is an ultimate insult from me)

Dreadful Stuff!!!!

Yes Dick, and it is a 'new' Mexicali beer (made in Tecate*) with a great mild taste... and intersting that it is labled " from Baja, Mexico" not Baja California, Mexico! You know, like some gringo was writing it! It does use the same stlye lable from the 1960's Mexicali Beer (often seen in Erle Stanley Gardner caravans).

* The water in Mexicali's river is the world's most polluted, so that is a good thing!

David K - 10-11-2005 at 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Is there another Medio Camino besides what is known as the Half Way House?

Every time I've eaten there the food sucks. Once ordered duck that came to the table half frozen. What kind of award did the chef win, and where.....Fairbanks?

Dave, maybe you 'locals' get different food than do us 'tourists'???? Wear a flowery shirt and carry in a camera next time! :lol::no::O:yes::?:

Johnny has always been so attentive in taking our order and preparing the meal... Of course, I am basing this on just two visits (a Sunday night and a Friday night)... Only a couple other people there each time...

[Edited on 10-13-2005 by David K]

Nevermind Dave

jrbaja - 10-12-2005 at 08:56 AM

He doesn't even like our new Soriana style grocery store!:lol::lol::lol:

Personally, I think he started the Deli to keep himself from starving to death with all these horrible eateries around here.

Are you kidding?

Dave - 10-12-2005 at 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
Personally, I think he started the Deli to keep himself from starving to death with all these horrible eateries around here.

I don't eat at the Deli. :rolleyes:

Now yer scarin me

jrbaja - 10-12-2005 at 09:09 AM

:lol::lol::lol:

Hope yer feelin better! Are you re-opened yet?

Dave - 10-12-2005 at 09:13 AM

Thursday.

Pstreet1 - 10-17-2005 at 10:24 AM

Experiences with restaurants can vary so much: Half Way House is the only place I've eaten in Baja that caused "traveler's distress." After that introduction, I've never been back, and have routinely pointed it out to visitors as "the only place I've ever eaten that has caused me to be sick." Obviously, others have had a much more positive experience.

David K - 10-17-2005 at 04:12 PM

When was that, and what did you eat and drink there, if it was recently?

Johnny's clams are the best.

Keri - 10-17-2005 at 04:58 PM

Dave , I have had the duck and it was crispy and glazed with a honey sauce I think. It was great for me. I also send all my vegetarian clients to him he really fixes them some wonderful things. Not just the ordinary plate of veggies covered with cheese. We had Thanksgiving there one year with family and friends and we really enjoyed that also. BUT my most favorite is the strawberry/banana margie. The very best, k

Mike Supino - 10-22-2005 at 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pstreet1
Experiences with restaurants can vary so much: Half Way House is the only place I've eaten in Baja that caused "traveler's distress." After that introduction, I've never been back, and have routinely pointed it out to visitors as "the only place I've ever eaten that has caused me to be sick." Obviously, others have had a much more positive experience.

I haven't been back either. A very dreadful experience with my wife being sick in the car and a one and a half hour summer-time wait northbound through the border.
Circa 1984

[Edited on 10-23-2005 by Mike Supino]

Pstreet1 - 10-22-2005 at 10:23 PM

When? About two years ago.
What? Enchalidas--I think it was the sour cream

turtleandtoad - 10-23-2005 at 07:04 AM

I'm wondering if this place is the same one I remember from my childhood?

It's been 50 years since I've been down Hwy 1 from TJ to Ensenada (I use the Tecate crossing) but as a young child I remember a place owned by some close friends of my parents that sat on a point about half way down. It had a small motel behind the restaurant and it's own generator, a "one-lunger" with a monsterous flywheel in a shed in back (no power between Ensenada and Rosarito at that time).

The only thing about the restaurant that sticks in my mind is a large mexican-style fireplace with a beautiful ornately carved mantel. I do remember that I loved the food.

Could this be the same place? It would be on the old highway as it predates the tollway.

cathart - 11-22-2005 at 07:49 PM

No, I don't think it's the same place. This restaurant is between Rosarito and La Mision. My husband and I had dinner there this last Saturday night. It was 8 O'Clock, and we couldn't believe it, but we were the only people in the diningroom! Maybe it was because of the fire South of La Mision. Anyway, I had the Lobster, which Johnny was nice enough to steam for me, because I really didn't want it prepared with butter and garlic. I have to say, it was the best lobster I have ever had! The lobster in Puerto Nuevo is generally overcooked, which makes it tough, but this one was just amazing! My husband had a terrific steak from Sonora. Johnny is always around, and willing to chat, which makes you feel right at home, and welcome!

Mike Supino - 11-22-2005 at 08:27 PM

Don't ever ask for your lobster "rare" it will be served "raw".
Terrible; possibly worse than "rare" poultry. Yuk!!!!

dave, is there any place

sylens - 11-23-2005 at 12:16 PM

in the rosarito-ensenada area that you enjoy eating? :?:
i seem to recall that every positive recommendation regarding a restaurant gets a thumbs down from you. :wow:
even your deli :spingrin:

so where is the good food from youir perspective???:rolleyes:

jerry - 11-23-2005 at 12:31 PM

i take it the halfway house is on the old road anyone know the K marker to exit on the new road?? is medio comino visable from the road?? is there a big enoff parking lot for a 36 ft mh and tow ?? have a good one jerry

The Halfway House

Gypsy Jan - 11-23-2005 at 12:54 PM

is located right at the K53 (Cuenca Lechera) exit from the cuota (toll) road. Yes, it is very visible and there is ample room for parking a rig and trailer.

Dave - 11-23-2005 at 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sylens
in the rosarito-ensenada area that you enjoy eating? :?:
i seem to recall that every positive recommendation regarding a restaurant gets a thumbs down from you. :wow:
even your deli :spingrin:

so where is the good food from youir perspective???:rolleyes:

In Rosarito:

La Querencia, That's Amore, Suzanne's, Le Cousteau (hit & miss)... That's it.

In Ensenada:

La Vendimia, Manzanita, Sede Vino, Sanos and the Restaurants at Punta Morro and Las Rosas (sorta). [ I'm sure there are more but I don't get down there as much as I would like.]

And of course:

The BEST restaurant in Baja....LaJa (In the Guadalupe valley)

se de vino

sylens - 11-23-2005 at 03:38 PM

is no more. actually, i did not enjoy the food and found the wine selection limited. but that was perhaps close to when they closed. a new owner has opened "capricho" and the wine offerings are quite impressive. food is ok. husband enjoys their porterhouse. i like their tomato soup with basil and goat's cheese...

thanks for replying. if you get to capricho i'd be interested in your take on it.

jerry - 11-23-2005 at 03:52 PM

thanks gypsy ill check it out in jan when i go throu time permitting i usally dont stop till i get below ensinata jerry

cathart - 11-23-2005 at 08:43 PM

Where is LaJa exactly? My husband and I are both foodies. We live in La Mision, so the Guadalupe Valley shouldn't be too far from us.

Mike Supino - 11-23-2005 at 08:47 PM

Go to this thread: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=13874

elgatoloco - 11-23-2005 at 11:47 PM

LAJA

Km 83 Carretera Tecate-Ensenada
Valle De Guadalupe, B.C. Mexico

011 52 646 155 2556

You have to make a reservation. They fill up fast. It is superb.

From La Mision take the old road south and take the graded dirt shortcut over to the Valle and then north until you see the sign LAJA. The restaurant is on the west side of the carretera.

elizabeth - 11-24-2005 at 09:58 AM

Laja has a website. www.lajamexico.com
They post the current menu...just reading the menu is a treat.

Dave - 11-24-2005 at 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco
LAJA

From La Mision take the old road south and take the graded dirt shortcut over to the Valle and then north until you see the sign LAJA. The restaurant is on the west side of the carretera.

Don't listen to this "loco" gato. :biggrin:

The el tigre cutoff will shake the fillings out of your teeth. Go south on the toll road to highway #3 and then back into Guadalupe valley.

elgatoloco - 11-24-2005 at 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco
LAJA

Don't listen to this "loco" gato. :biggrin:

The el tigre cutoff will shake the fillings out of your teeth. Go south on the toll road to highway #3 and then back into Guadalupe valley.

It is true that unless you are in an F-250 Powerstroke the asphalt is a much nicer ride. :biggrin:

cathart - 11-25-2005 at 08:40 PM

I think we'll stick with the easier drive, since we have a Honda Accord. About how long will it take us to get there from La Mision?

elgatoloco - 11-25-2005 at 09:29 PM

I would allow at least 60 minutes.

David K - 12-15-2005 at 08:44 PM

Seems that one restuarant review brings on others! A review on Manzanillo in Ensenada lead to more talk on the Half Way House, just like this thread started talking about Laja! LOL

Here is some posts from the Manzanillo thread on the Half Way House:

David K

Select Nomad

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever
posted on 12-15-2005 at 12:20 AM

Half Way House (Medio Camino) was awesome again, last Friday night... only one other table occupied... Chef Johnny prepared an awesome chile rellano plate for me, and filet of beef for Angel... Perfect cesar salad or tortilla soup before our dinner and flan on chocolate two layer cake for dessert, included... with four beers and coffee the total was only $30. Johnny told us some good stories about when he prepared meals for the president, as well!

[Edited on 12-16-2005 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."
See my Baja notebook: http://community-2.webtv.net/drdrip/notes
Visit my Baja web site: http://VivaBaja.com

Sallysouth

Nomad

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mood: Bueno
posted on 12-15-2005 at 01:21 PM

Ok David, Now I am convinced! We have to try the Half Way House next time down!When we were kids, driving down from La Crescenta, in the early 60's, that was our one favorite place to stop, along with Rauls.Haven't been there(HWH) in that many years! I was just waiting for more reviews from the Nomads. Thanks, Sally

Happiness is just a memory away....

Barry A.

Senior Nomad

Mood: optimistic
posted on 12-15-2005 at 01:58 PM

David-----

-----we use to hang out at the HalfWay House in the early 50's when there was nothing else around but sea and sand------wonderful place back then---our favorite "watering hole". We will have to try it again----thanks for the great reco.

David K

Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever
posted on 12-15-2005 at 06:47 PM

Yes, it is 'simply very good'!

I like the fact that the chef (Johnny) comes to your table and tells you the specials and will even prepare you something special... That he cooked for Mexico's presidents and other VIPs makes it all the more fun.

The Other Half Way House

Fang - 12-26-2005 at 05:17 PM

Dave asked in his 10/12/05 posting if there were another Halfway House on the old "free road" between TJ & Ensenada. His question...................................

"Is there another Medio Camino besides what is known as the Half Way House? "

The answer is there was for many years & some of the old timers may remember it, I sure do.

Pancho Rosas & his family came to the Compton/ Lynwood area near the end of the Great Depression in the late 1930"s. He worked hard & saved every penny he could. His family & mine became friends. With the advent of WW2 he returned to Baja California and built a small motel on old Hwy 1 on the low bluffs just above the ocean. They also built a small restaraunt just north of it & named it "Half Way House"

My Dad returned from overseas in 1945 & we started fishing Baja as we had done before the war, we always stayed with Pancho & his family on our trips south.

When I got my drivers lic. and 1st car in 1947( a 1934 Ford Victoria) my folks would let my younger brother Jim & I drive alone to Baja to fish, but only if we camped on the bluff right next to Pancho's restaraunt. We did this from about 1947 into the early 1950's.

Mama Rojas would always send my Mom a complete written report on our driving habits, work ethic & flirtations with the local girls. We usually stayed a week or two surffishing the entire surrounding area and free diving the reefs just a few feet offshore.

At low tide there were 100's of abalone to be plucked out of the ell grass without having to dive. Lobester were very easy to take in 6-15 feet of water. As a result, Mama Rosas sold lobester taco for 10 cents each & a large platter of pink or red abalone would run $1.00 with all the trimmings.

In the early 50's Pancho built a couple of stone cabins on a small hill east of Hwy. 1.

I lost track of the family while away at the Korean War . When I did get back down in the mid 1950's all was gone or abandoned. I have never been able to trace the family, but I will never forget the great times we had there.

David K - 12-26-2005 at 06:04 PM

Great story 'Fang'!

I hope your family had a great Christmas... We won't be going to L.A. Bay this year, it was great seeing you and your son last year at Gecko!

Feliz Ano Nuevo!

Dinner at Half Way House 1-22-06

David K - 1-27-2006 at 08:59 AM

I posted the following photos with my trip report (El Marmol & El Volcan), but the ones of Chef Johnny and the dinner belong here, too!

This is the Filet el Presidente... topped with a combo of all three sauces (peppercorn, mushroom, escargot)... new, not on menu.

[Edited on 1-27-2006 by David K]

David K - 1-27-2006 at 09:00 AM

here's the garlic lobster... cooked perfectly (sweet and tender)! Not on menu... just ask Johnny.

[Edited on 1-27-2006 by David K]

David K - 1-27-2006 at 09:03 AM

Heeeeerrrrreee's Johnny!

David K - 1-27-2006 at 09:06 AM

I can't say enough good things about this man and his creations! A real treat when the chef to Mexico's presidents comes to your table to describe the evenings specials or if he can make something just for you!

Last Sunday (July 23, 2006)

David K - 7-26-2006 at 07:37 AM

Back at the Half Way House for dinner on the return from the El Rosario festival...

Sarah and I had the chicken cordon bleu and Elizabeth had the fettucci alfredo... both very good, came with salad and dessert ($10 & $11)

David K - 7-26-2006 at 07:39 AM

Oh, and they serve Mexicali Beer and L.A. Cetto wine...

David K - 7-26-2006 at 07:41 AM

We all were happy and ready for the border wait (55 minutes at Otay at beginning at midnight)...

David K - 7-26-2006 at 07:42 AM

Back at work the next day, I had a job off this street north of Escondido!

turtleandtoad - 7-26-2006 at 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fang
Dave asked in his 10/12/05 posting if there were another Halfway House on the old "free road" between TJ & Ensenada. His question...................................

"Is there another Medio Camino besides what is known as the Half Way House? "

The answer is there was for many years & some of the old timers may remember it, I sure do.

Pancho Rosas & his family came to the Compton/ Lynwood area near the end of the Great Depression in the late 1930"s. He worked hard & saved every penny he could. His family & mine became friends. With the advent of WW2 he returned to Baja California and built a small motel on old Hwy 1 on the low bluffs just above the ocean. They also built a small restaraunt just north of it & named it "Half Way House"

My Dad returned from overseas in 1945 & we started fishing Baja as we had done before the war, we always stayed with Pancho & his family on our trips south.

When I got my drivers lic. and 1st car in 1947( a 1934 Ford Victoria) my folks would let my younger brother Jim & I drive alone to Baja to fish, but only if we camped on the bluff right next to Pancho's restaraunt. We did this from about 1947 into the early 1950's.

Mama Rojas would always send my Mom a complete written report on our driving habits, work ethic & flirtations with the local girls. We usually stayed a week or two surffishing the entire surrounding area and free diving the reefs just a few feet offshore.

At low tide there were 100's of abalone to be plucked out of the ell grass without having to dive. Lobester were very easy to take in 6-15 feet of water. As a result, Mama Rosas sold lobester taco for 10 cents each & a large platter of pink or red abalone would run $1.00 with all the trimmings.

In the early 50's Pancho built a couple of stone cabins on a small hill east of Hwy. 1.

I lost track of the family while away at the Korean War . When I did get back down in the mid 1950's all was gone or abandoned. I have never been able to trace the family, but I will never forget the great times we had there.

I also have fond memories of the "original" halfway house. My parents used to take us kids there on the weekends. I remember that they had an old "one-lunger" diesel gen for power that had a monsterous fly-wheel. They would start it up in the mornings and shut it down when the restaurant closed. I also remember a large hand-carved mantle over a very large fireplace.

My uncle had an Air Stream trailer that he parked on the property that the whole extended family used as a summer home, so we spent a lot of time there. Exploring the tidal pools at the bottom of the cliffs was a favorite passtime, as the marine life was incredible.

Like you, we kind of lost track of the Rojas family in the late 50's. I would love to hear from them if anyone knows where they are.