BajaNomad

Diving with Giant Humboldt Squid...

gonetobaja - 10-17-2005 at 08:27 PM

Hola Nomads,

Here is a link to a recent trip report that was posted about our newly formed squid diving expeditions. The pics of the squids and the actual attack pics are on the second page of the thread.

I would like to give a special thanks to Capt. Mike of the Screaming Baja Airlines for dropping my backside in the middle of Baja and getting me and the writer from Outside Magazine back home in one piece. If anyone is ever looking for a plane ride into baja Capt. Mike is the man!

This trip will be in Outside Magazine in the Jan. issue. ( I think) they had a pro-photographer who got some great shots. We were there to film a documentary and more footage to go along with a show called "Dancing with Demons" it includes the only footage of a Humboldt squid attacking a diver. The view is from the camera as it comes in. I was down filming close ups for Scott Cassell (The guy in the pics) as he wrestled them and then held them still for the Hi def camera.

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=22328

We are offering full blown dive trips now for this, complete with air trans. right to San Bruno.

If you want to pet a squid, let us know.....

GTB
http://www.gonetobaja.com

[Edited on 10-18-2005 by gonetobaja]

capt. mike - 10-18-2005 at 08:08 AM

Thx Dale, you guys are real pros!!
Looking forward to going some more, and hell, you just might get me under water for one of those Calamar close ups!!

Markitos21 - 10-18-2005 at 08:11 AM

WHOOOA !!! :o:o:o

I'll be watching my back from now on. I'm freaking out just sitting here.

Thanks !!

Cincodemayo - 10-18-2005 at 10:08 AM

Dammed things are just downright brutal. Just need to rename em H2o attorneys. Hide in the dark depths and attack just like the ambulance chasers. Anyone ever seen em snorkeling or are they more deep water??

Spyderman - 10-26-2005 at 01:52 PM

Quite a site. I saw the documentary they were talking about too.

allanbartlett - 11-26-2005 at 11:28 AM

I know from my experience that the squid come all the way up to the beach in the middle of the day when I was in Bay of LA this past summer. I was surf fishing at La Gringa and I saw three of the beasts cruising in the surf zone. I grabbed one for bait and threw him onshore. I reached down to grab another and placed my hands about mid body and the beast reached back and wrapped its tentacles on my hand! Ouch. As I pulled my hand away, the suckers proceeded to rip a layer of skin from hand also. Bad move on my part. Those things are no joke. Be careful with em.