BajaNomad

10-22-05 Weekend: El Rosario, L.A. Bay, Santo Domingo, and more! (Part 1 of 2)

David K - 10-24-2005 at 04:18 PM

On the way south Thursday, we stopped at Chela's in Puerto Nuevo for a dinner of shrimp and lobster then a straight shot south to El Rosario where we found Antonio still up after 1 am working on the new Internet satellite system that will be available in each new room for those with lap tops and at two PCs he will have in the lobby use by guests (no charge, he said).

OK, so El Rosario is becoming my second home (it seems)... We love the place as it has small town charm, great food, friendly people, a beautiful beach nearby, fossils, dirt roads to drive, missions, and more... Also, it makes a great base for trips of adventure... and we get to stay in the finest motel, 'Baja Cactus' which continues to have incredibly low rates despite the quality and features being added by Antonio...

300 pesos for a large modern room, 6 satellite TV channels(being expanded to 12 channels including FOX News), International telephone service in each room, high speed Internet coming soon (in each room), pressure boosted showers, luxery mattress king size beds... A/C and heating coming soon too. Although cieling fans already in the rooms provide all the cooling comfort you should need... El Rosario is very near the coast.

Friday, we naturally had a great day of rest, but we did begin work on a town map for use by visitors to help them find services, restaurants, motels, etc. The town most of us see along Hwy. 1 is only HALF (or less) of the town, plus there is older Rosario de Abajo on the south side of the river along the road to Punta Baja!

We did start the day with breakfast at Primo's 'La Bocana Beach Restaurant' (in front of the Motel Sinahi). We downed two pitchers of their Agua de Melon (cantelope juice) between the three of us... then had machaca con huevos... excellent! It was a late breakfast, so no lunch was needed...

Dinner was at Hugo's 'Tacos Mision'... Where I purhased one of Hugo's paintings for Baja Angel that she has been admiring. Antonio had the super nachos, Elizabeth had a stuffed baked patato, and I had a pair of quesatacos (carne asada tacos with melted cheese).

Here is the painting I bought for Elizabeth Friday, (photo taken at our visit, last May)...

[Edited on 10-25-2005 by David K]

David K - 10-24-2005 at 04:24 PM

Saturday, my original plans were to do an off road trip into the mountains behind El Rosario (a road used for the Baja 2000 race and a few others)... Neal Johns had been on it and said it is some beautiful country up there...

However, the previous day Bedman and Emma stopped by on their way home from Bahia de los Angeles and told us how wonderfaul it was there... Well, that planted a seed!

Being flexible (important in Baja traveling), we opted for a quick drive to L.A. Bay (3 hours) and perhaps might find Mike and Mary Ann Humfreville there, at their new home?!

So we stay on Hwy. 1, past the Los Martires/Sauzalito/San Juan de Dios turnoff that we were going to use...

HECTOR

David K - 10-24-2005 at 04:26 PM

Between Km. 116 & 117 is the monument to Hector, and it has been expanded...

Hector-2

David K - 10-24-2005 at 04:26 PM

Hector-3

David K - 10-24-2005 at 04:27 PM

Hector-4

David K - 10-24-2005 at 04:28 PM

Hector was a young man... He certainly was loved and missed!

David K - 10-24-2005 at 04:30 PM

Nearing Catavina, the giant rock cut is well covered by modern day 'rock art'!

David K - 10-24-2005 at 04:32 PM

The view from the pass south of Laguna Chapala, looking southeast...

David K - 10-24-2005 at 04:34 PM

Crazy bicyclist touristas on narrow Hwy. 1, now even have trailers!

David K - 10-24-2005 at 04:36 PM

NEW on the L.A. Bay highway... paved turnouts about every 5 kms., all the way from Mex. 1 to the bay... Also a paved 'glorietta' in L.A. Bay at the junction with the La Gringa oiled road... just past the NEW Pemex station.

NEW PEMEX, L.A. Bay

David K - 10-24-2005 at 04:38 PM

Open only a few hours maybe... It was closed on our way out about 8:15 pm!

David K - 10-24-2005 at 04:40 PM

See the bay in the background... I topped my tank for the return trip that night to El Rosario...

Stay tuned for more in Part 2 (Casa Humfreville and more!)!

Tomas Tierra - 10-24-2005 at 05:09 PM

is that anew tacoma for you DK?? How do you like it??How much off roading have you done with it...sure looks pretty.. got any good bush scratches on the trd sticker yet, they might not come off! TT

David K - 10-24-2005 at 05:47 PM

Yes Tomas... you Nomads were the first to know and see (of my 'family')!
Here are the first pages of the trip reports with my new Tacoma... it is sweet! Bigger (4 door), 4.0 litre motor, got 19.75 MPG on Mex. 1 Saturday!

Yes, it has some Baja pin stripes already!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are the photos:

The truck less than 24 hours in my possesion, already in Baja (4wd'ing on the beach): http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=12285

The truck going across Baja, via Mike's Sky Rancho (some low range 4WD): http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=12574

The truck going to the Las Pintas fossil grotto: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=12896

Then this past weekend (not much off roading): http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=13595

David K - 10-24-2005 at 07:50 PM

Here's one more... It is the railroad switcher and some track from the San Juan mines, on display at the Bahia de los Angeles museum!

Spyderman - 10-26-2005 at 05:30 AM

great photos