BajaNomad

Baja's best small big town, or is it big small town?

MH_Stevens - 11-6-2005 at 06:56 PM

There are very expensive and developed resort towns like Cabot and there are towns isolated with not even an old adobe shack and nothing to do. I'm asking what town best represents the middle ground. The best town with enough facilities to be livable and not get boring but with the old world Baja flavor not yet destroyed.

comitan - 11-6-2005 at 07:02 PM

Mike

You can't have it both ways, if you don't want to get bored and have things to do, and all the facilities to be liveable, you won't get the old mexican town atmosphere.

bajajudy - 11-6-2005 at 07:10 PM

Mike
I hope this wont sound hard but you need to get your butt down here and find out for yourself what it is all about. Other people cant answer your questions for you.
Come on down and check it out for yourself. It is not for everyone.

PS dont bring a gun!

vandenberg - 11-6-2005 at 07:17 PM

And stay away from Loreto:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Bajaboy - 11-6-2005 at 08:24 PM

Wow-that's a tough one....I really enjoy Bahia Tortuga and Bahia Asuncion out on Pt. Eugenia...but they're both pretty isolated. I suppose it all depends on what you're looking for....weather, ex-pats, large grocery stores....

Zac

bajalera - 11-6-2005 at 09:29 PM

Too many variables on this for a quick answer. Like how well do you get along in Spanish [which doesn't necessarily require fluency). Would it bother you to have people staring at you--and sometimes giggling--every time you appear in public [this one relevant only in small towns]. Can you adjust to shopping for meat in places that have only cuts you've never seen before? Would it bother you a lot if, after having done something, you find out that local people consider you to be totally stupid?

These are things only you can evaluate.

MH_Stevens - 11-7-2005 at 12:51 AM

My answers to Bajalera are no. I love meat and food I can't identify and virtually nothing bothers me. I can find all I want to eat in one of those front room stores like Jose's in Santo Thomas and a few street cart vendors. Don't really want to meet any uncool Americans either.

Bajajudy of course is also right - I no need get my but down there, but as some of you know I need get my bypasses replaced before I can travel and I'm just itching to go so I'm asking stupid questions.

bajalera - 11-7-2005 at 01:48 AM

Sounds like you'll make out okay. Really, the only way to find out if you'd like living in a Mexican town is to go to Mexico and live in a town. Wiithout burning bridges behind you.

Give it a year, and if it doesn't work out, take the bridges back. You'll have gained an experience to talk about the rest of your life. [But do be kind to the uncool Gringos you're bound to run into. We can't all be hep.]

For a small town I'd recommend San Ignacio, and Leree's Inn [which now has another name) would be a great place to recuperate. For a larger town, La Paz is still oriented more toward Mexican tourists than to Americans, and has amenities that are lacking elsewhere.

Your questions aren't stupid, so keep right on asking them when you feel the need.

And good luck!

Lera

[Edited on 11-7-2005 by bajalera]

Dave - 11-7-2005 at 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalera
Would it bother you to have people staring at you--and sometimes giggling--every time you appear in public [this one relevant only in small towns].

Still wearing those purple tennis shoes?

bajalera - 11-7-2005 at 11:19 PM

Ah, so the purple tennies are why they giggle. I had been blaming it on the blouses that show my navel.

Dave - 11-8-2005 at 08:52 AM

Quote:
Ah, so the purple tennies are why they giggle. I had been blaming it on the blouses that show my navel.

Innie or outie?

Yeah, that'll do it. Put the two together and it would be ROTF instead of just giggles.

capn.sharky - 11-10-2005 at 09:19 PM

And stay away from Loreto

Vandenberg: Why do you say to stay away. Loreto must appeal to some people or it wouldn't be growing so fast. I have loved Loreto for 35 years now....but some would not like it there. Some (in fact, many) love Cabo San Lucas---but, its not for everyone. So, please, tell me what you don't like about Loreto.

jerry - 11-10-2005 at 11:35 PM

all and all i think loreto is just what the doc ordered for me have a good one jerry

rpleger - 11-11-2005 at 10:53 AM

We have all the bad stuff in Muleg?.....
Go Away
Nothing good here..............

vandenberg - 11-11-2005 at 03:04 PM

Sharky

After I reread my post, I realised that it didn't sound the way I intended. It was supposed to be a little " Tongue in cheek " I've been here since the 80's and would like for the place to stay like in those days, therefor my post. An impossibility of course, but sure would be nice. The way we're going , we will be another Cabo or Cancun. It's like starting a wildfire.
Again, apology for my bad post.:no::no::no:

Vandenberg

capn.sharky - 11-11-2005 at 09:25 PM

Sorry--I took it wrong too. I, like you, would like Loreto to stay the same forever, but, it just can't be. Progress is everywhere. Mexico, here in the U.S. Like they say "you can't go home". No apology needed---I was just curious.;D

Capt. George - 11-12-2005 at 06:13 AM

whistler

when ya comin home?

vandenberg - 11-12-2005 at 12:55 PM

Whistler

I like your once in 20 years philosophy. Make it once in every 30 years we, in Loreto, will like you even better:P:P:P

Bajabus - 11-12-2005 at 04:08 PM

Elias calles, nothing there, no restaurants (locals will cook something up for you if you stop by), no electricity, water most times, nice people, population about 75. Lived there full time for about 8 years, still go down to our place every few months. Heaven on earth

Oso - 11-12-2005 at 04:24 PM

Quote:
[But do be kind to the uncool Gringos you're bound to run into. We can't all be hep.]
[Edited on 11-7-2005 by bajalera]

"Hep"? Jijos, Lera. I'm too much of a gent to ever ask a lady her age and I ain't no spring chicken myself, but that one is from my parents' era. What's next, 23 skidoo or cat's pajamas?:lol:

Asuncion

Skipjack Joe - 11-17-2005 at 02:52 PM

Asuncion gets my vote.

It's not in the prettiest part of baja, for the cortez is more beautiful. And it's not the most beautiful town either. There are many limitations to living there.

But the people of Asuncion are the finest I've met in my travels on the peninsula.

Paradoxically, they think we visitors are so special. When in fact they are the ones who are special.

skipjack

Mike Humfreville - 11-17-2005 at 03:50 PM

My family has been going to, and living from time in Bahia de Los Angeles. Earlier this year we bought a house from an American and are in the process of buying the land from a Mexican friend.

We have been spending most of our time there and are learning the protocols and processes involved in having our own pila and solar system, of connecting to satellite TV, telephone and Internet.

But what we have found to be the most important is that there is a couple of hundred folks that we have met and enjoyed very much. I can live with very limited facilities, as we have in the past, but what makes a community, city, town or village a place I want to live is the society. Mexicans and Americans live together in our village with a respectful interaction that is worthy of appreciation.

I'm sure there are many places in Baja that have the same touch and feel, but Bahia de Los Angeles is the one we have chosen.

Osprey - 11-18-2005 at 06:12 PM

In about 20 minutes I'm getting in the car to visit our new Velatorium -- our little pueplo is throwing a "Thank you" dinner for the gringos who donated funds to finish the much-needed building near the "pantheon" where families can have a quiet visit with their loved ones who passed beyond. Two thousand Mexican neighbors, 60 or so gringo families, just about right for me and mine. In fact, after 10 lovely years I would venture to say "Just Right". La Ribera, Baja California Sur

Sharksbaja - 11-18-2005 at 06:45 PM

Dinky is mo betta! Mulege el mismo!