BajaNomad

XM or Sirious radio

BahaP_J - 11-11-2005 at 10:18 PM

Is any body using Sat radio in the Baja?

DavidT - 11-11-2005 at 10:40 PM

Yes.

bajalou - 11-11-2005 at 11:16 PM

I have 3 XM's

:saint:

BahaP_J - 11-12-2005 at 12:56 AM

Thanks for the come back!
How far down do you get a good signal?

comitan - 11-12-2005 at 07:05 AM

All the way.

bajajudy - 11-12-2005 at 07:19 AM

I listen to Sirius in San Jose del Cabo all day long

Jack Swords - 11-12-2005 at 08:02 AM

See http://www.xmfan.com/viewtopic.php?t=43657

This site (XMFan) has comparisons of the two services. Before buying equipment ($$), see how many subscribers each has. Neither is making a profit but one has a much greater number of subscribers.

We use XM in La Paz on our boat and driving down with no problems. We have two units including a portable one. Ask around for others' experiences. Sure is nice to get CNN, MSNBC, Bloomberg, etc. from anywhere in Baja.

BahaP_J - 11-12-2005 at 11:28 AM

Thanks again for the info, looks like I need to just go and get one.

comitan - 11-12-2005 at 11:48 AM

If you go to the sirius site I bought mine an upgrade JVC for auto and home $100.00. Go into search for XM radio or sirius and you will find much discussion from past threads.

[Edited on 11-12-2005 by comitan]

IF sports is important to you.......

Hook - 11-15-2005 at 11:51 AM

....then look at what the two services offer, as they sign exclusivity agreements with the sports entities. I am an avid baseball fan and XM has MLB for no additional charge. I THINK Sirius has the NFL package.

My favorite XM channels

Bluesville (probably 90% of my listening since MLB is off season)
Luna
World Beat (100)
Top Hits (46)
Deep Tracks

Any other XM users have any recommendations? I have probably not listended to 90% of the channels yet.

BTW, with XM, you can listen to channels on your computer once you sign up. Yet ANOTHER distraction from work........:wow:

postman - 11-15-2005 at 12:46 PM

Listen to X-m in Todos Santos, good reception, no problems.

12 - X-country fan

capt. mike - 11-15-2005 at 04:12 PM

sirius = Howard Stern

bajajudy - 11-15-2005 at 07:20 PM

Sirius=

The Globe-The Stones-
Margaritaville-jimmy buffett
Pure jazz
Bluegrass
the vault
the bridge
all the decade channels
outlaw country

I have all of my 20 presets full. But these are probably what I like the most about sirius
I have absolutely no experience with xm.

Markitos21 - 11-15-2005 at 07:35 PM

XM worked all the way down both sides of the sea of cortez and across the sea also. Our friend use's sirius and it's worked as well. I guess it's up to the programing you like better.

BornFisher - 11-15-2005 at 08:35 PM

Have Buffett`s concert from Atlanta going on Margaritaville (Sirius) as I write. Here`s how I chose-- went into Circuit City and asked the stereo guys out back what they listened to. Answer-- Sirius. So I started with Sirius and am still loving it (got new Starmate unit just last week).
Since then I have bought the XM for baseball (errr........ I mean for my wife). Now I hear Sirius will have baseball in 2007. Also you can get some baseball on the ESPN Sirius stations.
But if I was recommending one I would have to go with the Sirius. And Hook, I too listen to lots of blues. And a higher % on XM than Sirius. BUT.......... That`s because Sirius has better alternatives!! And a better playlist on their blues (IMO). But it was on XM I heard Bo Carter sing about his pencil running out of lead!!! What a classic, and with replay it was a triple classic!!!

Classic Vinal (Sirius) kicks Top Tracks butttt. 30 spots for artist in Sirius beats 20 on XM.
For country I`d say a tie. Hanks Place combined with Xcountry on XM may even beat The Roadhouse and Outlaw Country.

OK here is the VERY BOTTOM line..... GET EITHER!!! Best $13 a month you can spend!!

wrk - 11-15-2005 at 08:52 PM

Sirius has two NPR stations. XM has a public radio station but not NPR.
What's the point of radio without Prairie Home Companion?

thebajarunner - 11-15-2005 at 11:20 PM

XM has NASCAR.
What's the point of radio without NASCAR???

On my last trip down......

Hook - 11-17-2005 at 11:05 AM

.......I noticed that I began to have blockage of the satellite to the north, instead of the usual blockage to the south when I'm north of the border. I have a Lance camper and the overhang on the truck cab will occasionally block the satellite.

Anybody else notice this for XM radio? I noticed it when I was in the Mulege area.

NASCAR on radio?

Hook - 11-17-2005 at 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner
XM has NASCAR.
What's the point of radio without NASCAR???

That sounds about as exciting as golf on radio, although the sound effects are certainly better.:lol:

MLB on Sirius?

Hook - 11-17-2005 at 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BornFisher
Have Buffett`s concert from Atlanta going on Margaritaville (Sirius) as I write. Here`s how I chose-- went into Circuit City and asked the stereo guys out back what they listened to. Answer-- Sirius. So I started with Sirius and am still loving it (got new Starmate unit just last week).
Since then I have bought the XM for baseball (errr........ I mean for my wife). Now I hear Sirius will have baseball in 2007. Also you can get some baseball on the ESPN Sirius stations.
But if I was recommending one I would have to go with the Sirius. And Hook, I too listen to lots of blues. And a higher % on XM than Sirius. BUT.......... That`s because Sirius has better alternatives!! And a better playlist on their blues (IMO). But it was on XM I heard Bo Carter sing about his pencil running out of lead!!! What a classic, and with replay it was a triple classic!!!

Classic Vinal (Sirius) kicks Top Tracks butttt. 30 spots for artist in Sirius beats 20 on XM.
For country I`d say a tie. Hanks Place combined with Xcountry on XM may even beat The Roadhouse and Outlaw Country.

OK here is the VERY BOTTOM line..... GET EITHER!!! Best $13 a month you can spend!!

Do you mean that Xm will be losing their license on MLB or will MLB simply be adding Sirius as well?

I will dump any service that does not have MLB.

thebajarunner - 11-17-2005 at 10:34 PM

Hook,
so what is your sport???
MLB???
Now that is cram packed with excitement.....NOT!!!
(and I am a baseball fan)

Still waiting for an answer!!

thebajarunner - 11-18-2005 at 11:04 PM

Howcome.....
that everyone who puts the knock on NASCAR is then unwilling to admit to their own favorite sport?
Inevitable as grass growing on the lawn,
someone puts the rap on NASCAR....
"so what is your favorite sport" we ask,
and silence reigns.
Hmmmmmmm

turtleandtoad - 11-19-2005 at 09:21 AM

Well, since you only asked Hook, it would be impolite to butt in, and no-one on this forum would do that :lol:

If it was intended to be an open question, then I'll respond. I don't really care for NASCAR on the radio, I prefer TV for races and golf. For radio I like football and baseball.

Basketball and Hockey in any form is a total waste of time. In one everyone scores all the time and the last one to score wins, in the other no-one ever scores and the whole thing is settled at the end by a one-on-one shootout. (that ought to generate some traffic) :o

However, my reason for getting Sirius is music and news while fishing and traveling.

Radio Sports

MrBillM - 11-19-2005 at 10:48 AM

When I was young and a rabid Baseball fan, I would listen to the Dodgers every chance I got. Now I can't think of Anything more boring than listening to ANY sport on radio. Although I watch some sport other than MLB on TV once in awhile, I can take it or leave it. I don't understand the enthusiasm.

I enjoyed NASCAR racing years back when I could catch The Winston Cup at Riverside Raceway. It's interesting on a road course, although I found myself infuriated to watch a race that finished on a Yellow Flag. Oval track Stock Car racing never interested me.

As I said once before, 85 % of the time I have XM on, its' tuned to the Big Band (30s-40s) music, 10 % on a Classical station and 5 % on Fox News. When I'm out of earshot, my wife tunes to the Country channels.

bajalou - 11-19-2005 at 11:48 AM

No sports or news - music--

:saint:

bajajudy - 11-19-2005 at 01:17 PM

Yo tampoco, Lou
Musica
Musica
Musica

You CAN be a kid again

Dave - 11-19-2005 at 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
Now I can't think of Anything more boring than listening to ANY sport on radio.

If you could get past listening part then you could hear. ;D

To me, nothing beats baseball on radio. It's the perfect time machine. And it's not the commentators voice, it's the silence in between.

(Hint: The older the radio the better.)

DavidT - 11-19-2005 at 11:14 PM

Quote:
(Hint: The older the radio the better.)

How old does it have to be?

Only The Shadow Knows.

Being a Kid Again

MrBillM - 11-20-2005 at 11:30 AM

I think a lot of the difference is how one looks at the players, then and now. When I was younger, I looked up with great admiration and enthusiasm towards the players. I cared how well the Dodgers did. Today, there is little to admire in most of the current crop of spoiled, multimillionaire brats in MLB.

The most enjoyable Baseball games I've gone to in recent years have been Class A Minor league games where most of the time there isn't a single player I'm familiar with. It's a lot of fun to simply enjoy the game of Baseball without caring who comes out on top. Two years ago, I was at a High Desert Mavericks game and, after cheering on various plays, the guy behind me asked "Just who are you rooting for, anyway". My reply was "neither, I'm just enjoying good Baseball". That said, you should probably remain true to the song and root, root, root for the Hometeam, even if it means switching back and forth weekly or daily.

Hemingway once said....

thebajarunner - 11-20-2005 at 10:34 PM

"There are only three sports: Mountain climbing, bull fighting and motor racing. All the rest are just games."
Well, I have participated fully in two, and enjoyed watching the other.
Guess by his definition there is only one sport suitable for radio broadcast...
I rest my case.
(It will be great to spend 10 days at San Ignacio and Catavina in March and not wonder who is leading the Cup race, though)

The attraction of baseball on radio.......

Hook - 11-21-2005 at 10:37 AM

...indeed, most any sport (even NASCAR if that's your thing), is that it makes great background to your other activities. I am not sitting around in my living room, listening raptly to every pitch. I am usually puttering around on this or that domestically instigated project. Baseball's gradually building structure (pitch by pitch, batter by batter, inning by inning) just really appeals to me for this type of background. It's fairly easy to step away for an inning or two and be right back in it.

I especially love all the strategic details of baseball and the interval between pitches that allows you to strategize along with the managers. Lefty vs. righty, hit-and-run, squeeze play, steal, bunting the runner along, etc. Most other sports are too fast paced to allow the listener to be "managing" right along with the field managers. I love all the statistical minutia of baseball.

I also love the length of the season that just keeps entertaining you week after week, night after night.

Well, there's my defense of baseball on the radio, Bajarunner. Let's hear what appeals to you about NASCAR. Maybe I will become a convert. It's not like I don't have an appreciation of motorsports racing; my first real jobs were at the old Orange County International Raceway on the track maintenance crew and in the concession stands. Saw plenty of drag racing as well as grand prix motorcyle racing and some MX stuff, too.