BajaNomad

Back from la Bocana

BAJACAT - 11-26-2005 at 10:48 PM

Hi , board just got back from my mission site hunting and la Bocana de Santo Tomas trip. pretty nice place taking in consideration the 18 miles from highway 1 is just all washboard, they charge $50 pesos per car for camping in la Bocana. wich concists on some small sand dunes on the south side of the arroyo some cabins for rent. 4 miles north you can find puerto santo tomas very secluded, cabins are available for rent too.Latter I went looking for the first site of the santo tomas mission and then to the second site inside el palomar rv park not much to see, tall grass coverts everything,what a shame nobody cares about this historic sites y also visited san vicente ferrer ruins , what a difference from this site to the others, this one is fund it by inah, I wonder who deccides witch sites are more important that others, I might spotted David's K. mighthy TACOMA on the road to la bocana on friday I guess will find out latter when he gets back..

back from la bocana

BAJACAT - 11-26-2005 at 10:54 PM

Sorry I couldn't supply pictures I will later , one more thing if you are looking for missions sites, Dave Werschkul SAINTS AND DEMONS IN A DESERT WILDERNESS book is the way to go, pretty easy to follow directions for peolple new to the baja scene.

David K - 11-28-2005 at 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
Hi , board just got back from my mission site hunting and la Bocana de Santo Tomas trip. pretty nice place taking in consideration the 18 miles from highway 1 is just all washboard, they charge $50 pesos per car for camping in la Bocana. wich concists on some small sand dunes on the south side of the arroyo some cabins for rent. 4 miles north you can find puerto santo tomas very secluded, cabins are available for rent too.Latter I went looking for the first site of the santo tomas mission and then to the second site inside el palomar rv park not much to see, tall grass coverts everything,what a shame nobody cares about this historic sites y also visited san vicente ferrer ruins , what a difference from this site to the others, this one is fund it by inah, I wonder who deccides witch sites are more important that others, I might spotted David's K. mighthy TACOMA on the road to la bocana on friday I guess will find out latter when he gets back..

I guess you did!! We drove in to see the first site Friday morning, on our way to El Rosario... I didn't notice any other cars however... Sorry to miss you!

To find the first site, go 3.6 miles from Mex. 1 towards Puerto Santo Tomas/La Bocana and take the left fork across the river and into a nice big campground/park 3/10 a mile more... The low ruin is in the middle of the open area south of the oak trees...

That was really you

BAJACAT - 11-28-2005 at 07:22 PM

Yes David it was about 11.30 am you where on the south side (lower road) of the arroyo. I was driving in my red ram on the upper road going to La Bocana, but didn't notice any stickers on the back glass or maybe I didn't see em thats why I tought it was somebody else. maybe next time. I did find the first site on my way back to see the second one.