BajaNomad

Beach Launching Punta Banda

Paulina - 12-4-2005 at 11:23 AM

We've posted many times on this board about beach launching our panga. This past Thanksgiving holiday we actually remembered the camera. Here's how we do it.

Back the panga down to the waters edge.

Paulina - 12-4-2005 at 11:23 AM

Put Cody in the boat.

Paulina - 12-4-2005 at 11:24 AM

Roll her off the trailer.

Paulina - 12-4-2005 at 11:25 AM

Spin her around.

Paulina - 12-4-2005 at 11:27 AM

Hold her in place while Dern parks the truck.

Paulina - 12-4-2005 at 11:28 AM

Everyone's in while Dern pushes her out a little deeper before he gets in.

Paulina - 12-4-2005 at 11:29 AM

Rowing out to deeper water to pull start the motor.

That's GREAT, Paulina-------------

Barry A. - 12-4-2005 at 11:39 AM

-------a "piece of cake", just like you said. Good photos, too. That is the way I have launched my boat, many, many times, and it works just fine. I also have an "extender" on my trailer, but I seldom have to use it------ And a Winch and Pull-Pal for those rare times when I just cannot quite make it back up the beach towing the "package".

Would really like to see photos

Hook - 12-5-2005 at 11:32 AM

of the retrieval process, sometime. That can be difficult if the water depth doesnt cooperate. Do you have a long winch strap on the trailer and does it have rollers instead of bunks (or maybe the plastic bunks)?

Were you launching near La Jolla or Villarino?

JZ - 12-5-2005 at 11:58 AM

Look at the 3rd picture. You can see the rollers.

capt. mike - 12-5-2005 at 06:25 PM

hey JZ - did everything work out ok with my pax?

headed out for mulege for a little longer soon.

Paulina - 12-5-2005 at 07:29 PM

If we take the panga out over Christmas I'll take the camera along for the retrieval. It's just as easy unless the waves are up a bit as water will come over the transom. Not that big of a deal as we just pull the plug as we load her up and drain her out on the way back home.

That was the beach in front of Campo La Jolla.

Yes, we have a long winch strap. When we back the trailer up to the bow of the boat, it will pop the boat up, then it rolls on to the trailer as it backs up a bit. The strap is attached and crank her in. She can be sitting in sand when loaded.

Santiago - 12-6-2005 at 01:24 PM

Thanks for the pics - I assume you need rollers for this to work??

JZ - 12-6-2005 at 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
hey JZ - did everything work out ok with my pax?

headed out for mulege for a little longer soon.

Mike: absolutely! Thanks for everything! The kids were mighty impressed watching the takeoff and everything. I don't think they were expecting anything like that, and it was a big treat.

I'm trying to see if I can get down to SC again this week. Looking forward to flying with you myself sometime soon!

trailering te boat

Big Al - 12-6-2005 at 09:23 PM

Can you explain the trailering of the boat procedure?

Thanks

Paulina - 12-6-2005 at 10:00 PM

Hey Big Al,

What do you mean by your question? How do we trailer the boat to the beach? I don't quite understand your question. Please explain and I'll do the same.

Saludos!
P.<*)))><

pulling her off

Skipjack Joe - 12-7-2005 at 12:37 PM

Paulina,

Could you please describe what happens between picture 2 and picture 3. That is, how do you get such a heavy boat and motor off the trailer to the sand below. Are those rollers so smooth that a single person can roll such a heavy weight by just pulling on the transom? Is there so little friction that that is doable?

A similar question regarding retrieval. Is that boat light enough that a single person can lift the nose up high enough to get it started on the roller?

Is that a fiberglass panga such as those used by the commercial fishermen?

By the way, I love that picture(s) of Cody sitting inside waiting for the adventure.

skipjack

[Edited on 12-7-2005 by Skipjack Joe]

Trailering the boat

Big Al - 12-7-2005 at 01:28 PM

My question is how do you get the boat back on the trailer?

Thanks,

Alan

Big Al-------see the previous posts by Paulina

Barry A. - 12-7-2005 at 01:35 PM

---------one of them explains how they do it.

found it

Skipjack Joe - 12-7-2005 at 02:29 PM

I found the answers to my questions. This post goes well with the current thread and helps explain what is going on between the pictures.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=13315&pag...

Paulina - 12-7-2005 at 03:47 PM

Sorry guys,
I should have posted the photos on the original thread. Thanks Barry A. and Skipjack Joe for bringing up the past post. I promise to have photos of the retrieval come mid Jan. when we return from Baja. Even if it means that we have to launch and do a hot lap out front of Campo La Jolla just to get pictures. Besides, it's good for the motor anyways. As of today we are not taking the panga to Bahia for New Years.

Stevo, read your post to MH. If you have any extra spaces on your BostEn Whaler, give us a shout. See you for New Years and hope you, Beth and the kids hook up on some good waves at Diablo/Punta Maria. Might see you there as Santa may be delivering us some new Big Wave Dave boards...Heading out on the 22nd.

P.<*)))><

[Edited on 8-12-2005 by Paulina]

Paulina - 12-7-2005 at 11:44 PM

You never know, we might just get a wild hair and take the panga to Bahia after all.

Looking forward to seeing our Amigos at Casa Diaz...

P y D

bigboy - 12-8-2005 at 12:28 PM

What is the length of your panga?

Paulina - 12-8-2005 at 04:14 PM

22ft.