BajaNomad

Blue Charts, Memory, sonar

Al G - 12-10-2005 at 12:07 PM

I posted this in a Neil Johns thread and thought it should be moved here.

Need nomad advice. I was trying to find a cheap all in one solution to GPS and came up with this.

Copy and paste above in address window.

http://www.gpsonsale.com/MarineGPS/Marine-Products/Chartplot... 276c&ovtac=PPC

I may have buyer remorse, but I am not sure what I bought.
Seems like there are some other things, maps, sonar, antennas, memory etc. I may also need to buy:wow:
My use is in my MH, jeep, and 14' tin boat.
I'm sure I need the new Baja map Neil Johns bought but I am confused as to what else???
What is the relationship this unit has with sea communications, also sonar? I thought this one had sonar(fish finder), but now think I need to buy something, what:?:
What upgrades are a must have for fishing Baja?
Don't have much time, leaving for Mulege' Dec 20th
Never owned a GPS/Chart plotter so need some to tell me what else to buy to complete the fishing package.
Do I have to buy Garmin accessories or can I use hummingbird (came with boat)or whatever fish finder. I did not know they communicated together. What would you do?
Lost in tech land:(
Thanks
Al G

bill erhardt - 12-10-2005 at 05:48 PM

Al - You are right. The 276C does not include sonar, but it sounds like you have a depth finder in your Hummingbird. The built in map data in the 276C will give you general coastline detail for the Sea of Cortez. If you want greater detail, as well as tide information, you will need Garmin BlueChart MUS021R. This chart will give you detailed information from California down to and including the waters off Cabo. I last week ordered BCMUSO21R from GPSCity.com for $129.95 plus shipping. In addition to position and depth a third useful piece of information is water temperature. If your Hummingbird has a temperature sensor and you pick up the BlueChart you will be in business.

4baja - 12-11-2005 at 08:29 PM

al i bought a legend 3000 deep and works very well but i allso have a seperate gps on my boat. i like keeping the two systems seperate in case of a problem:coolup:. will be leaveing down soon. good luck.