BajaNomad

Gas stations between Ensenada and Cabo

sanfelipebob - 12-17-2005 at 06:19 PM

I will be driving a small RV towing toys heading for Cabo. My range will only be about 200 miles. I will have an extra 10 gallons for emergencies. Where are the fuel stops along the highway I should top off at? Thanks

David K - 12-17-2005 at 06:24 PM

EL ROSARIO (225 mi. so. of the border) is a must stop top off point, as the next 'stations' are about 200 more miles away (Villa Jesus Maria, Eagle Monument, Guerrero Negro). Gas is also sold by independants at Catavina and the L.A. Bay Jcn.

El Rosario's Pemex is owned by Baja Nomad 'BajaCactus' and has honest pumps.

bajalou - 12-17-2005 at 06:33 PM

Never pass an open Pemex in Baja without topping off. The next one might be out of gas.

See Bruce's post at 622pm today Mulege station out since yesterday.

[Edited on 12-18-2005 by bajalou]

woody with a view - 12-17-2005 at 07:42 PM

Quote:

Never pass an open Pemex in Baja without topping off. The next one might be out of gas.

i've always giggled every time someone said this. i can get roughly 400 miles on a tank, though! i try to never let it fall below 1/2 tank. if you can only get 200-take a couple more cans-just in case.

bajajudy - 12-18-2005 at 07:39 AM

We only get about 200 in our '86 Ford pickup and barely made from El Rosario to Jesus Maria on our way back from last years book signing.
Also, it is diesel and not all stations have it. Look for the black sign on the station, which is the diesel one and means that they have it.

Bob and Susan - 12-18-2005 at 08:39 AM

Actuall it's kinda nice to get out and strech you legs....and use the bano.

We're like woody...we get about 400 miles on a tank in our diesel.

Gas stations are about 1 1/2 apart

Take an extra can "just in case".

turtleandtoad - 12-18-2005 at 11:12 AM

Quote:
Gas stations are about 1 1/2 apart

1 1/2 what? :?:

I also get about 400 miles in my RV and make it a habit to work off the top half of the tank. Of course if I do run out, I've got the toad as a back-up (either syphon or go get gas).

If you pick up a copy of the Church's "Travelers Guide to Camping Mexico's Baja" , it will show you were all the stations are and the distance between.

Bob and Susan - 12-18-2005 at 12:45 PM

sorry..hour and a half apart....it's too early:lol:

LarryB - 12-20-2005 at 04:03 PM

I got tired of worrying about it so I added a third tank on the RV to bring the total to 85gal. I then added a 100gal tank on the trailer with a quick disconnect hose at the hitch. All tanks are switchable from the drivers seat. I draw from the trailer tank and the return runs to the selected coach tank refilling it from the trailer as I drive. At 14mpg x 185gal that's a long way. On the last 2 trips I left Seattle full, add a few "safety" gallons of diesel somewhere in BCN, and arrived at Los Barilles with only the fuel I picked up in BCN. It's the best mod I made to my rig. Worrying about fuel puts an undue stress on the entire drive. :lol:

Gas cans?

neilm - 12-20-2005 at 04:24 PM

Are they still not letting you cross with full gas cans? Maybe not, since the price change.

Neil

LarryB - 12-20-2005 at 05:10 PM

Fill them in TJ.

David K - 12-20-2005 at 05:20 PM

Yes, fill your cans after crossing... The first EASY place for gas, is on the toll highway, past the Rosarito exits, just before the second toll booth's original location (the actual toll is taken further south at the new booths but the bathrooms remain at the old booth locations. The Pemex next to the toll highway has an AM/PM market there as well... About 25 miles from the border.