BajaNomad

American working in Baja?

anothermark - 12-20-2005 at 03:13 PM

Hello,

I would like to live and work legally in southern Baja as a web designer with 8 years experience, or a photographer promoting real estate or anything for that matter. Is this possible? Is there a demand?

Thanks,

Mark

comitan - 12-20-2005 at 03:36 PM

I don't think so, but you could probably sell condo's in Cabo.!!!!!

wornout - 12-20-2005 at 05:21 PM

Can you make a living on 1/3 to an upwards end of 1/2 of what you would make doing that in the old country? I saw a couple of carpenters try it here. After a couple of days working for $10 dollas a day, they left. Couldn't compete with the local labor, and not too many can.

David K - 12-20-2005 at 05:26 PM

Need an FM-3 work visa... and a visa to live there... contact your local Mexican consulate. You must prove you can provide a sevice not available by the local citizens. Isn't it intersting how Mexico protects their own workers from foreign labor competition? Yes, if $10/day makes it worth the trouble, go for it! Why so many are here for $10/hour or more!

You'll need to start your own corporation

flyfishinPam - 12-21-2005 at 01:56 PM

then you can freelance and the sky's the limit. There is more opportunity in Mexico than there is in the US and they money can be equal or better. I speak from experience as I live and work here and believe that I am way ahead of where I would be if I had stayed in the US. working for "the man". Don't let all the neagative responses scare you from persuing your dreams, but keep in mind that the laws here are different. Once you master them, really- sky's the limit.

Good Luck!

capn.sharky - 12-21-2005 at 04:01 PM

David---I thought you needed an FM-2 to work in Baja. I was under the impression a FM-3 is only for renting, owning and leaving stuff in Baja legally. Could I be wrong? It won't be the first time.

comitan - 12-21-2005 at 04:18 PM

FM-3 work OK.

bajajudy - 12-21-2005 at 05:55 PM

FM-3 work ok. You can be a persona fisica(not sure on the spelling) and you dont have to start a corporation. But the list of what a persona fisica can do is very detailed. For instance, my husband can sells our books and maps but he cant sell something else. You really need a good person to do your paperwork if you take this route. It took us a year to get everything that he wanted to do on his FM-3.
I agree with Pam. The sky is the limit here. It is growing so fast that all you need is a good idea and the correct paperwork, and you are off and running.

comitan - 12-21-2005 at 07:41 PM

Pam

If he speaks fluent Spanish!!!!!!!