BajaNomad

New Years '06 with Nomads, a Blue Palm Filled Canyon, and more! (part 2 of 2)

David K - 1-3-2006 at 06:21 PM

Continued from Part 1 at: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=14970

After coffee and goodbyes we head west from Bahia Santa Maria (Km. 31) and drive the 3.5 miles from Hwy. 5 to the old Puertecitos road, then turn south and enter the sulfur mine valley... last worked 50 years ago.

West of the old main road was the ore crusher. Only the concrete foundations remain...

[Edited on 1-4-2006 by David K]

David K - 1-3-2006 at 06:23 PM

Here was the ore crusher as I first saw it in the 1960's... from Cliff Cross' Baja Guide of 1970...

David K - 1-3-2006 at 06:26 PM

From the sulfur mine, we continue a couple more slow miles south to the Canada el Parral ('Azufre Wash') road to cross over to Valle Chico and its great palm lined canyons.

Here's one more shot at the sulfur mine...

David K - 1-3-2006 at 06:39 PM

Shortly after turning west off the old Puertecitos road you can scout around for 'Apache Tears' which are obsidian pebbles long ago blown skyward from some volcano. The pebbles are dull black, but if you break them the glossy volcanic glass is exposed.

Here are some apache tears as they are seen on the ground and one smashed on the flat rock with jet black shiney surfaces.

0.7 miles from the old Puertecitos road is a major fork... Ahead continues on across the San Fermin plain and reaches Arroyo Matomi at a point 12 miles west of Hwy. 5.

We take the right fork for Parral Pass, across the coastal sierra to Valle Chico. I first found this long forgotten road in Dec. 1978... and it took a lot of rock moving and detouring to make it through. Now, off road racers and others have used it and it is well worn... well, for most of the way...

David K - 1-3-2006 at 06:40 PM

Inside Parral Pass (Canada el Parral) are many tall cardon cacti and interesting geology...

David K - 1-3-2006 at 06:43 PM

Here the rock layers are folded into waves... Baja Angel finds a seat.

Last Feruary, 2004 I have photos of Georock explaining how this happens... Our group of Nomads came this way to reach Matomi Oasis.

David K - 1-3-2006 at 06:55 PM

Many veins are in the canyon walls... I am sure they have all been checked for gold... ???

David K - 1-3-2006 at 07:01 PM

Inside Canada el Parral someone has been mining decorative rock such as shale and other flat rocks/ flag stone... perhaps for the many homes being built around San Felipe?

We passed a truck loaded with stone about 2/3 of the way in. Beyond the area being mined for stones, the road deteriorated to just some motorcycle tracks and the brush has encroched to offer some pin stripes.

Soon we exit Canada el Parral and enter Valle Chico and follow the 'straight across the valley' fence line road to the west side of Valle Chico where the north-south valley road
to Matomi is.

Photo added showing the road crossing Valle Chico just after emerging from Canada el Parral... taken in 2004.

David K - 1-3-2006 at 07:13 PM

Upon reaching the road to that goes south to Arroyo Matomi, we turn right (north, then it heads west) and drive to Carricitos where we turn left (south).

Carricitos is a large corral, behind which is a small ranch house and a very faint road goes right past the ranch house westward to Carrizo Canyon (fence blocks the drive into the canyon in a couple miles).

Our goal is Berrendo, the next canyon south of Carrizo. It's driveway is just 1.4 miles south of Carricitos... and it is very sandy drive up the wide arroyo to where rocks force all to walk further.

Blue palms grow out of the south canyon wall, just before reaching the end of the drive... I hear a fault is the explanation as blue palms grow only in water or where their roots can be damp most of the time.

Seeing blue palms is spectacular, but seeing them on moutainsides is amazing. Here in Berrendo is one place and on a mountainside a few miles northwest of Tinaja de Yubay is another (see my photos of 'Rock Palm Hill' at http://vivabaja.com/401 )

Here is where I parked the Tacoma and Elizabeth and I began the mile hike...

David K - 1-3-2006 at 07:14 PM

Baja Angel and Baja Blue!

David K - 1-3-2006 at 07:15 PM

They soon got taller...

David K - 1-3-2006 at 07:17 PM

This is my second time here... The first was in April, 2004 with Jide and Bajalou with others who met us that day in Parral Canyon just south... see http://vivabaja.com/404 'Exotic Canyons of Baja'

David K - 1-3-2006 at 07:19 PM

Finally, surface water... it hadn't rained this season yet... Year round mountain spring water deep in these canyons!

David K - 1-3-2006 at 07:21 PM

Elizabeth takes a photo of me...

David K - 1-3-2006 at 07:23 PM

At the head of the canyon (as far as we went, anyway) is a huge grotto with palms all around... A boulder bigger than most homes is the backdrop...

David K - 1-3-2006 at 07:24 PM

Up on top is a really tall blue...

David K - 1-3-2006 at 07:25 PM

Can you see how big those rocks are??? This is really something and well worth the effort to get there!

David K - 1-3-2006 at 07:29 PM

Here is Arroyo el Berrendo as we drive out... notice the sand.

Mama Burro and her Burrito

David K - 1-3-2006 at 07:31 PM

Near where the Berrendo road joined the Parral road was this sight...

David K - 1-3-2006 at 07:33 PM

I tried tossing some trail mix at them, but soon discovered why he wasn't eating any...

David K - 1-3-2006 at 07:34 PM

Mother's milk beats trail mix ... any day!!!

David K - 1-3-2006 at 07:36 PM

I made this map after my 2004 trip... It will give you an idea and some details of our route from the Sulfur Mine to El Berrendo Canyon then north and out of Valle Chico to San Felipe...

David K - 1-3-2006 at 07:45 PM

At the north end of the 'East Valle Chico' road is this sign, facing San Felipe. In the distance is Diablo Mountain.

We returned to San Felipe to get some gasoline ($6.21 pesos: liter) and a couple gifts at a curio shop, then we're on our way to Mexicali (and home) by 5:20 pm Monday.

The military checkpoint 31 miles north was searching every car and the border wait at Mexicali (west) was 1 hour 20 minutes beginning at 7:26 pm.

Phone calls home while we were in the line said it had been raining... Dry as a bone in San Felipe, however!

Viva Baja and Happy New Year Everyone!

bajalou - 1-3-2006 at 07:54 PM

Another great trip and report David - I remember those plams and groto - thanks for posting. Some scientists were up there - must have gotten out just before you went there - studing the blue palms. I have thier waypoints and they went quite a way up the canyon and Google shows the palms going quite a ways.

David K - 1-3-2006 at 07:59 PM

There was one gringo family tent camping near the parking spot/ trail head... Also one truck with BC plates... Lot's of foot prints up to the grotto.

They said it was so windy that morning, they guessed it at 70 mph! It was dead calm at Bahia Santa Maria all the time we were there, including that very same morning.

bajalou - 1-3-2006 at 10:16 PM

Just looking at where a friend and the scientists? went in Berrendo - up the main canyon almost a mile and a half. They up the canyon to the North (from the camp spot) about 3/4 mile. Will tell you what they had to say when I next see him.

Cincodemayo - 1-4-2006 at 11:47 AM

David
Those are some awesome pictures...Blues have to be one of my favorite palms and to see them in their native habitat is even so much cooler.
Brahea brandeegei are another Baja native in great stands in the rise above La Paz but for eye appeal the blues take the cake.

Berrendo 2004

bajalou - 1-4-2006 at 01:27 PM

Here's a shot of the Blue's on one of the side hills from the wide sand wash when entering the canyon.

Cincodemayo - 1-4-2006 at 02:06 PM

Great contrast Lou...silvery blue against a light rosey rockery. Very cool.

David K - 1-4-2006 at 05:56 PM

I tried to get a nice photo of the blues growing on the canyon side, but the sun didn't cooperate... Thanks Lou for posting yours! This is just before the end of the road, on the left.

bajalou - 1-4-2006 at 06:01 PM

Your memory's still great David, that's where it is.

Bob H - 1-6-2006 at 10:20 AM

Another fantastic trip report David - and outstanding photos! Bob H

Steve in Oro Valley - 2-15-2006 at 04:35 PM

Magnificent:

Just got around to reviewing this post...

Awesome.. Wish I could get some of those boulders into my back yard to complement my relatively small blue palms..

Steve in Oro Valley

David K - 2-15-2006 at 08:39 PM

Thanks Steve, Cinco, and other Blue Palm Lovers... El Berrendo is a perfect place to see them!