BajaNomad

How much????

fishinrich - 1-12-2006 at 11:15 AM

I was sitting around the other day talking with some of the pescaderos here in abreojos and I asked them how much they made for there fishing efforts and here is what they said. Abalone--300pesos per kilo, Lobster--57pesos per kilo, Black sea bass/Grouper--11pesos per kilo, Yellowtail--6pesos per kilo, Corvina--5pesos per kilo, Mullet--3.5pesos per kilo, Bass--3pesos per kilo, They are allowed to net estero de coyote the months of March and April and are allowed six nets per panga. One panga last year took 7500 kilo's of fish from the estero in the two months. Fishin Rich

Bruce R Leech - 1-12-2006 at 12:05 PM

thanks fishinrich good info

I assume that is

Hook - 1-12-2006 at 10:12 PM

standing weight of the fish?

That's not much given the cost of fuel these days. And I'm sure it's not negotiable if they have to sell it thru the cooperativo.

Santiago - 1-13-2006 at 06:39 AM

FR: Very interesting. If you assume equal amount of finned fish - that's somewhere in the neighborhood of $4,000 gross for 2 guys for 2 months. I haven't a clue as to their costs of supplies, fuel, etc., but it sure doesn't seem to leave much left over. What do they do the rest of the year?
A few years ago while in Bahia de los Angeles I had a local and an ex-pat tell me that the gill netters could earn just enough money to barely survive by working 4 hours a week -- 2 hours to set the nets and 2 more to collect the catch. The rest of the week was front porch time.

woody with a view - 1-15-2006 at 12:28 PM

Quote:

How much????

not much!!!!

a few years ago at san juanico a neighboring camper let a local kid named nico ride a 3 wheeler. long story short, my truck ended up with a crease and rubber burned into the paint. i didn't want to hassle with the local cops and he didn't wanna sit in their cell.

we decided on a 15 kilo side of yellow fin, 4 shelled abalone, and +/- 6 kilos of halibut filets. he practicly begged me to take his collection of fossilized shark teeth (small ones) and 3 or 4 arrowheads. i have enough junk in my life so i told him to sell the items but thanks for the fish.

the price of abalone at point loma seafoods is +/- $100 a pound-frozen. yellowfin $14-16 a pound. halibut about $8-10 a pound. going by these prices i did okay-repairs cost $525.

having taken the long way to my point-the middle man is where all the $ is made. it's almost unimaginable that a black seabass goeas for $.50 a pound....:no:

[Edited on 1-15-2006 by woody in ob]

turtleandtoad - 1-15-2006 at 04:36 PM

I never did figure that out, when I had my commercial salmon troller, I'd sell my catch to the buyers at Neah Bay for an average of $1.00/lb. Those same fish would show up at the market for $6-7.00/lb.

The buyer always claimed that he was only making a few cents/lb, the packer and the seller also said the same. Is there another middleman that no one knows about :?:

Oh, and I didn't have any coop to pay for anything. Try paying for a 50 ft vessel for a year and then only get a 2 week season. Thanks Judge Bolt :fire:

Judge Bolt and others

Sharksbaja - 1-15-2006 at 06:47 PM

surely changed the way things are today. When you speak of the middle man, yes there is an invisible partner at work.
Uncle Sam:lol:

Seriously though, after all the overhead most of the money made is by the wholesale distributers. Big corps like Pacific Seafood Group have great control over pricing of seafood. Just behind the Japanese fish industry. They play big games with the fisherman and are very adept at manipulation of the market and market prices. So much politics too. I feel for the little guys in a big way.

Pescaderos Screwed

Capt. George - 1-17-2006 at 08:15 AM

Years ago when I was fishing the beaches of Cape Cod, I was in the fish house picking up a check and one of the regular dragger fisherman, Tony Thomas, came in for his check.

He had his wife sew a fly on the back of his pants, said it was his fish-check Friday pants.....The catcher catches all but the good money!

later George

cbuzzetti - 1-12-2007 at 05:53 PM

Are they allowed to net Laguna La Bocana?
Is it the same two months?
Is this a bad time to be there because of that?
I have a trip planned for late March.
Any info is good.
Thanks,
Charlie

BajaDanD - 1-12-2007 at 09:23 PM

Wow I was just thinking the same thing. Im going anyway
DAND

BajaDanD - 1-12-2007 at 09:26 PM

Charlie did you notice the dates on the posts before ours they are a year old
DAND

Cypress - 1-13-2007 at 08:06 AM

The guys that actually catch the fish are at the mercy of the middleman. The fishermen usually don't have storage capacity, have to sell their catch quick or it ruins. Trying to sell fish here and there to individuals, restaraunts, etc. takes time, meanwhile the catch deterioates.

Summanus - 1-13-2007 at 10:20 AM

A little off the main Baja - how much for fish? - topic, but this story about selling fish in the states comes to mind.

A couple years ago we were RV-camping on the Columbia River in Oregon..between the Snake and Yakima Rivers.
We got to talking with some retired regulars who told us they were fishng for a 'bounty' fish called a squawfish. Seems this is a rough fish that got introduced to the river system from another place and was wrecking havoc on the native populations of trout, salmon, etc. Squawfish, I believe, are originally from some large river systems like the Colorado, Rio Grande, etc...and can grow to 6 feet, although the norm in the Columbia is quite smaller, so we were told.

These fellows were getting..I believe about 5 or 10 dollars per fish bounty paid by the Game & Fish Dept. Hey...not a bad way to help pay for your fishing. I have to get back there and find out how to catch them!

Don Alley - 1-13-2007 at 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Summanus
A little off the main Baja - how much for fish? - topic, but this story about selling fish in the states comes to mind.

A couple years ago we were RV-camping on the Columbia River in Oregon..between the Snake and Yakima Rivers.
We got to talking with some retired regulars who told us they were fishng for a 'bounty' fish called a squawfish. Seems this is a rough fish that got introduced to the river system from another place and was wrecking havoc on the native populations of trout, salmon, etc. Squawfish, I believe, are originally from some large river systems like the Colorado, Rio Grande, etc...and can grow to 6 feet, although the norm in the Columbia is quite smaller, so we were told.

These fellows were getting..I believe about 5 or 10 dollars per fish bounty paid by the Game & Fish Dept. Hey...not a bad way to help pay for your fishing. I have to get back there and find out how to catch them!

The name of that fish was changed...politically incorrect, or nasty, or bad taste, whatever your perspective.

It has been changed to "Pike Minnow," as it is a large member of the minnow family.

They are found in the upper Columbia river drainage in Montana. They frequently have skin and other parasites. They are one of the few non-venomous, non biting creatures that I will not touch. I think they carry herpes.;D

Summanus - 1-13-2007 at 11:46 AM

Don Alley, "Pike Minnow" does sound better that squawfish. My 'Native-American' hunting/fishing buddies would approve...while laughing in their beer at the Wolf Point pow-wows! Got to watch what we say these days...even tongue-in-cheek will get you in trouble it seems.

Your post prompted me to find out more on these fish. Bad hombres. They seem to be a real useless and harmful introduction to the northwest's water systems. A shame someone was so careless or irresponsible. Before they knew better years ago, a lot of minnows are carried by live-bait fishermen from lake to lake to rivers, etc...thereby accidentely introducing a new harmful species to the native types. Today, thankfully, you are not allowed to bring live bait into lots of areas..including Canada.

Cypress - 1-13-2007 at 12:28 PM

Yep, those Pike Minnows are bad news, get up to about 3 lbs. or so. Cooked one once, nasty, ruined the grease.:spingrin: Cut 'em into chunks and use for sturgeon bait.

Osprey - 1-14-2007 at 02:45 PM

The disaster of 9/11 taught me a little about the local fishing business. Our local hook and line commercial fishermen live off snapper (huachinango) sold whole. Restaurants in La Paz and Cabo serve em that way so they have to be plate-size. The local buyer doles out the ice and gas $, holds that back when he weighs the catch on the beach, drives his van to La Paz, sells the catch, pays the fishermen the next day. When tourism around here took a dive, no sale in La Paz, no $ to pay for nada, the little baby fish (36 pesos a kilo) caught a much needed break, time to reproduce. Co-op or no, fishing in these little out of the way places is risky for all the people in the chain -- even with that our fishermen are probably prosperous compared to other areas like along the coast at Sonora and Sinaloa -- at least we still have a few fish to catch.