BajaNomad

Best Fish Tacos in Ensenada (corner Espinoza and Juarez)

Tifosi - 1-17-2006 at 01:10 PM

In my travels to Ensenada over the last 15 - 20 years the best fish tacos I've had are at the cart on the corner of Espinoza and Juarez. The cart has no name but is located in front of the hardware store across the street from Calimax. The place is usually packed and deals in fish and shrimp only. Fish are $.80 (US) and shrimp are $1.20 (US). If you go, make sure you go before 8 p.m. they usually close down at that hour even on the weekends. You might get lucky and find them open later, but that is the exception to the rule.

When you go, don't get mixed up and go to Tacos Corona. Remember, this place has no name and is in front of the red hardware store.

Tifosi

DanO - 1-17-2006 at 01:37 PM

I think it does have a name. Unless I'm thinking of a different one, it's La Floresta. I agree that they have far and away the best fish and shrimp tacos in Ensenada.

BajaNomad - 1-17-2006 at 07:09 PM

We were there both Thanksgiving weekend and New Year's weekend.

I think think Fred Hoctor noted this stand in Baja HaHa. I could be wrong. The hardware store used to be yellow.

Tifosi - 4-16-2006 at 11:17 AM

I spent Friday and Saturday in Ensenada just for the heck of it and visited my favorite fish taco stand again. I found out the name - Tacos Fenix - although no where on the cart/shack is the name printed. I found out the name because when you pre-pay for the shrimp the ticket they give you has their name printed on it. When I asked the cook if Tacos Fenix was their name he looked at me like I was crazy and said yes. Like why else would we print that name on the ticket if that wasn't our name!!!

Anyway, still great tacos and we even had entertainment this time. A soloist with his guitar, cowboy hat, boots and big belt buckle. He stood there belting out corridos, rancheros and boleros with a strong baritone voice that matched the strums of the guitar in perfect harmony. He was definitely worth the 70 peso tip I patted into his hand as we left.

Tifosi

DanO - 4-16-2006 at 12:30 PM

That's definitely the place. I mixed it up with La Floresta, which is another pretty decent one, a block south on Ave. Floresta. However, Fenix, the one by the hardware store, is far and away the best.

BajaNomad - 10-11-2006 at 09:36 PM

September 2 at Tacos Fenix - busy as usual.

tacosfenix01.jpg - 48kB

BajaNomad - 10-11-2006 at 09:37 PM

tacosfenix02.jpg - 48kB

BajaNomad - 10-11-2006 at 09:38 PM

tacosfenix03.jpg - 47kB

Tacos de pescado.....

Hook - 10-14-2006 at 09:43 AM

....is not rocket science.

What makes this place so superior? The condiments, the size of the fish portions? Cuanto cuesta?

I am always wary of a fish taco place that is away from the mercado central. I always wonder how long a trip the fish took to get to the location. At least down by the harbor, the fish is likely very fresh. Almost all of them down there use angelito, I believe. What type of fish is this place using?

DanO - 10-14-2006 at 06:01 PM

Don't know what kind of fish, but trust me on this -- the place rocks. It's only a few blocks in from the harbor, but it does a massive amount of business. In my view, location does not mean as much as turning your stock over quickly.

As an example, I had the worst paella of all time in a restaurant right on the water in Menorca, a small fishing island in the Mediterranean; the place was deserted, and the fish and shellfish were old -- ugh! A counter-example -- c-cktelaria Mazatlan, which is towards the middle of town but has fantastic food.

Fenix's fish and shrimp are fresh, their batter is perfectly crisp and puffy and not too greasy, their sauces are all homemade and excellent, and the tacos are less than a buck. Betcha can't eat just one, er, four.

Damn gringos ruin everything!

Hook - 10-15-2006 at 02:27 AM

Better get my gringo arse down there and try em.........

Only four, Dan-O?

I remember one time back in the 70s or 80s when the peso had just suffered a major devaluation against the dollar. It was the big devaluation before the one that spawned the nuevo peso. Overnight, the fish tacos down by the mercado went to four for a dollar.

Well, being 20-something at the time, we had an eating contest before we headed up to Laguna Hanson for the long weekend.

I won it with 12 tacos.

Yep, an excessively gringo thing to do.....these days, with alot more "room" to put em away by outward appearances, I cant get past four.

Ah, lost youth....................:bounce:

[Edited on 10-15-2006 by Hook]

Martyman - 10-16-2006 at 02:01 PM

About 20 years ago We wandered through Rosarito on foot stopping at most of the taco stands. I had 12 and could've had more. So... Yo soy puerco.

Tifosi - 10-25-2006 at 02:14 PM

Damn you guys!!! Now I have to make a trip to Ensenada for fish tacos. It's been awhile since I've been to Fenix but seeing the pics of the tacos and the big jars of crema got my juices flowing and my baja fever burning.

Hose A: Tell Magda that I have seen very few gringos at this place. In fact, every time I've gone to this stand my pocho ass has been the closest thing to a gringo :cool:

Tifosi

Bajagypsy - 10-25-2006 at 02:25 PM

Only 15 more sleeps to fish tacos........ I so cant wait:bounce:

Bob H - 10-25-2006 at 02:45 PM

There is another great fish/shrimp taco stand, just as you go under the yellow crossover walkway entering El Sauzal going South. It's on the East side of the road right next to a key making stand. The lady there and her family have been making them there for years. The place is called Taqueria El Jalisciense. Try this place for sure - her batter mix is what makes them sooooo good.
Ask Elgatoloco - he will back me up on this.
Bob H

[Edited on 10-25-2006 by Bob H]

Iflyfish - 10-26-2006 at 05:01 PM

So many tacos and so little time.......

I flyfish

Tifosi - 1-10-2007 at 12:14 PM

Ignore the date on the pic, this is a recent fish taco run my family and some friends took to Ensenada. The day would not be complete without stopping at Tacos Fenix. My all time favorite fish taco stand. Notice the guy in the background with the guitar. Same guy I've seen there before. He has an awesome voice and huge song knowledge.

Tifosi

[Edited on 3-13-2007 by Tifosi]

60500019.jpg - 4kB

bajabass - 3-5-2007 at 01:03 PM

My novia, soon to be mi esposa, is a doctor in Ensenada. I asked her about Tacos Fenix. She said of course she had seen the place. she brought 6 home on Saturday, and I ate 5!!! Great food !!!

funkynassau - 5-11-2011 at 05:57 AM

I am a newbie to this forum and asked about fish tacos and was given this link. I am on a quest for the ultimate fish taco when we go to Ensenada in Nov. I gotta wait 6 months!!! Thanks for all of the info here, I am making notes :-)

Search This Forum

Gypsy Jan - 5-11-2011 at 06:07 AM

For the thread "Our Preferred Ensenada Restaurants" by Bajabound2005 or send me a private U2U with your email address and I will send you a spreadsheet on Ensenada restaurants.

Welcome to the Baja Nomad board!

[Edited on 5-11-2011 by Gypsy Jan]

Curt63 - 5-11-2011 at 06:56 AM

Yep, they're goood!

5 weeks before I head south.