BajaNomad

Todos Santos Fishing Season

Denver - 1-22-2006 at 04:10 PM

I'm a newbie and have done only a bit of research on fishing in BCS. It seems most of the action is east cape, sea of cortez farther north and offshore boats from the CSL marina. Is there good action from Todos Santos? What's the season and species? Would love to hear about pangueros finding fly rod species (roosterfish) near shore or anything that's not too much of a boat ride.

Thanks and buena suerte to anyone who's down there now.

Denver

Pescador - 1-23-2006 at 02:35 PM

Todos Santos is not really a sportfishing area. there are some pangas that brave the waves when things are a little calmer but this year the surf is the major reason for being there. When you are forced to launch through the surf even with experienced people you can have about 10 years experience in about 1 minute flat.

Panga surfing

Denver - 1-23-2006 at 08:23 PM

Es verdad amigo. I've only been there in Jan. and yes the waves can be huge so it would not seem a good time to bust through to the outside. What about during the summer when the swells come from the south? Seems like the launch at Punta Lobos (i think that's the name) would be protected.

Pescador, you do much inshore or kayak fishing down there?

Capt. George - 1-25-2006 at 05:53 PM

Had some good pargo and jack fishing from the beach in the spring.

down at Pescadero Camp Ground...don't know if it's still there. was for sale.

A special place, thought about moving down to TS...but, no real boating ops except Cabo...Also much too busy for us.....

Did especially well after dark from the beach...

later George

TS Fishing

Denver - 1-25-2006 at 08:01 PM

Thanks Captain George. That's encouraging news about the fishing. There were campers at Cerritos and at the San Pedrito RV Park in January.

Capt. George - 1-26-2006 at 07:03 AM

San Pedrito is where I camped...Heard there is some theft at Cerritos. Bring some small treble snagging rigs for bait....Floating Rebels, Red Fins gold/black 4 to 7 inch for after dark.

John runs Pedrito...say hello for deborah and I if you get there....

George

Al G - 1-26-2006 at 09:55 PM

Denver,
Somewhere recently I read the some pangueros are chartering out of Punta Lobos. I am going to try them next trip. I want to fish SOC, but my friends like to stay a week in Todo Santos so got to do some fishing there.
What time of year will you be there?
Al G

Punta Lobos/Cerritos

Denver - 1-27-2006 at 08:48 PM

Al G,

I was just there in Jan. Didn't fish because the surf was huge! I managed to go to the hospital (Centro de Salud) twice in one week. Once for myself and once for my cousin.

I'd like to get back soon- maybe for fishing in the spring.

Al G - 1-28-2006 at 02:40 PM

Denver,
I am headed down approximately the 12th of April although I've been trying to go since November. Long STORY! I will give a report on the fish if I get lucky. I intend to try every beach, but my first job is to find bait. That was my problem last year. I have new lures and will try some lighter surf gear if I can not solve the bait issue.
Al G