BajaNomad

Shimano Trinidad/Torium owners

Santiago - 1-27-2006 at 02:43 PM

Copied from a posting by Hawk on the Allcoast board today. I have personally verified the 'recall' by taking my Torium 30 to the factory rep here in Sacramento and they are replacing the questionable side plates and other internal parts.

We have had some considerable discussion about the upgrade Shimano is offering free of charge for the Trinidad and Torium 16, 20 and 30. The upgrade involves a new slightly taller longer main shaft, slightly deeper right sideplate and a new top metal washer on the drag stack. These upgrades are already incorporated into the current productions units of those models.

So, how does one determine if their reel already has the upgraded parts?
It is impossible to tell just from eyballing the sideplate. The difference in depth is so slight it is not readily apparent. Of course you could open the reel up and assuming you know what the original top metal washer looked like you could compare it with the new version. That is a bit of a pain and not something for those not comfortable with opening up the reel.

Here is the easiest way. There is two letter production code stamped on the underside of the reel foot. Trinidads with a production code of DC and later, e.g. DD, DE, DF etc already have the modifications. Toriums with a production code of DE and later already have the modifications. And if it is a reel that did not originally have the modifications but the modification was performed by Shimano during a service, then just above the Shimano logo on the underside of the foot you will find a pin punch mark.

Note that Shimano will only perform this upgrade on reels that do not have aftermarket modifications.

It is the opinion of some of us, myself included, that if you have the Carbontex drags and the Cal drive plate, you already have equal or better drag performance and would not need the upgrade.

What will be interesting will be to get some side by side comparisons of the aftermarket mods vs. the factory upgrade. Stay tuned.

Hawk

4baja - 2-1-2006 at 07:23 PM

any idea were i can take my reels in on the central coast(morro bay, santa barbera, santa maria, paso pobles) i have many reels.

Bajalero - 2-1-2006 at 08:27 PM

Santiago .

Don't know how it is these days but when I was footing the bill on the Bertram down in Cabo I would have Vincenti the Capt. send all the reels in periodically to the service center in ( I think ) El Segundo .

I've always just left it up to the people who know what they're doing to take care of it all and I've never had any better service than that of Shimano

One time I remember we sent stateside a case of "beastmasters" to be reclutched and serviced and a few days later got a very diasappointing letter saying they no longer were servicing that reel . That it was being discontinued. ( Don't know if any of you remember that series but it was a hellof a good - strong reel. Only ever snapped one myself down near the Revilligedos - but thats another story.

Any way . While we're scratching our heads on what to do for reels my girlfriend at the time shows up at the Los Cabos airport with an american tourister full of Brand new 50 tiagras and a note of apology from Shimano that they could no longer support the old beastmasters.

Now thats customer service

Of course they kept the old reels

Lero

Shimano service is legendary

Hook - 2-2-2006 at 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 4baja
any idea were i can take my reels in on the central coast(morro bay, santa barbera, santa maria, paso pobles) i have many reels.

Just insure the reels and send them direct.

Paulina - 2-2-2006 at 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 4baja

Virg's Landing does reel repairs.

P<*)))><

At least for the purposes of this recall/upgrade

Hook - 2-2-2006 at 02:43 PM

it should be noted that Shimano is doing this for free. I am sure that outside reel repair firms will charge for it, assuming they can get the parts from Shimano.

LarryK - 2-2-2006 at 04:22 PM

Just got my tld30 back. It only took 2 days to fix. New side plate, washers etc; Works great on the bench. Check it out in SLC in about a week.

4baja - 2-6-2006 at 08:18 PM

thanks hook, i dont go to virges for repair. ill go to shimano on the net. thanks again.

polloatician - 2-7-2006 at 05:56 PM

4baja. Give shimano a call first and they will give you a number to send along with your package. It will save you some wait time once they receive your reels.

Santiago - 2-7-2006 at 07:25 PM

It should be noted that if you're using mono for fish that the model you're using was designed for, no change is really necessary. However, if you've got spectra and you've hammered the drags as far as they'll go and then you try to bring in 100# tuna - well then your gonna need this 'fix'. Some of us tend to push it a bit with our gear....:rolleyes: