BajaNomad

Good shocks

jimgrms - 1-27-2006 at 06:07 PM

Need some advice , my jeep cherokee needs shocks I want some that work good and are somewhat adjustablefor the dird and the street, not going to be rockcrawling thanks jim

TMW - 1-27-2006 at 07:14 PM

Rancho 9000 series and there's another I think Pro Comp. Personally I like the Rancho 5000, which is a 9000 at mid range . Many people prefer the Bilstein. Rule of thumb is soft springs stiff shocks and stiff springs soft shocks.

Debra - 1-27-2006 at 09:09 PM

Funny I was going to pose a question about shocks.....

I've heard Ranchor's are good, but, when I asked everyone (Baja "know-it-alls", they said, "GET Blistens!")

Well today I finally did am and wanting to know. Did I do okay guys? Top of the line, best they offer, $59.99 per shock and $100.00 install them.

Ken Cooke - 1-27-2006 at 10:22 PM

I've run both Rancho RS9000s and ProComp MX6s.

I prefer the ProComp MX6 shock absorber because this twin tube shock dampens both compression as well as rebound, while the Rancho RS9000 only dampens compression. When the shock rebounds, you will notice a bit of "pogo" effect where the shock feels like it has stored energy it wants to release. The MX6 shock does not exhibit this sensation lending to a more controlled ride both on the street and on the trail.

Both sets of shocks are priced about the same. Hope this helps!

http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/pcshocks.html

Frank - 1-27-2006 at 11:35 PM

Ya mean that all those trucks running around with dual Fox reservoir shocks on all 4 corners are over kill? :spingrin:
MX6's a good match for a Ford diesel crew?

Capt. George - 1-28-2006 at 06:34 AM

Whistler...

Town not the same without you. We all miss your art work!

When ya comin back? Probably after I leave....I won't give you date of departure.....keep you guessing...

It was good to see you amigo...getting some croaker, corvina y linguado at punta in the surf................George

Capt. George - 1-28-2006 at 06:35 AM

Oh Yeah KYB

At first I didn't want to get them, thought they had something to do with a well known lubricant!!!

A real good shock on my F-350 a manly truck...

Bilsteins

turtleandtoad - 1-28-2006 at 10:38 AM

I've always used Bilsteins but have had a recent failure that really surprised me. This came off the right front of my RV.

TMW - 1-28-2006 at 10:46 AM

Wow, you must have been on the whoops near San Felipe. I've run Bilsteins and still have them on the rear of my Z71. The last set of Bilsteins I had on my Toyota melted the rubber boot on the fronts coming up the road from Gonzaga Bay. I switched back to Rancho RS5000. I like the ride better, especially off road. I'd like to go with a reservoir shock but haven't found one that fits right without mods.

David K - 1-28-2006 at 12:14 PM

While my '01 xtra cab Tacoma TRD (Bilsteins) was perfectly set up for my moderate off roading, the new '05 double cab is a bit heavier.. and I am guess the same suspention was used on it... I have bottomed out the rear a couple of times already.

I really liked the Bilsteins, but is it heavier shocks or another leaf to the rear springs I need?

I appreciate the suggestions!

I just put Rancho 5000's

eetdrt88 - 1-28-2006 at 02:19 PM

on my jeep cherokee and it rides great,cant wait to try it out in Baja:yes::yes:

Neal Johns - 1-28-2006 at 11:44 PM

Try another leaf, David. They are cheap. Sounds like you have quite a load in there. Another leaf will give you a little lift also and you will have more travel before it bottoms out.

Pompano - 1-29-2006 at 04:51 AM

Great thread on shocks and springs.

Who can recommend a good shock and/or spring idea on a new 3500 diesel 4X4 longbed pickup I am getting? A heavy vehicle.

Now would the time to have them ordered from the dealer and installed when the truck arrives or at the factory.

Seems like we all drive under similar conditions. Fun, huh?

p.s. should have added that I will be pulling a fifth wheel camper a lot of highway miles, too.

[Edited on 1-29-2006 by Pompano]

David K - 1-29-2006 at 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Neal Johns
Try another leaf, David. They are cheap. Sounds like you have quite a load in there. Another leaf will give you a little lift also and you will have more travel before it bottoms out.

Hi Neal... No, I bottomed out with no cargo, only two point 5 people (Antonio and Lorenia + baby) in the back seat... We were driving around T.J... Another time with just moderate gear in back... hitting a med. bump at speed... never bottomed out my '01.

Thanks for the advice!

bajalou - 1-29-2006 at 08:21 AM

I vote with Neal, David. Unless they are "Coil-overs" shocks don't support the load, just dampen the up/down movement. A added leaf will support the load and let the shocks do their job.

:cool:

David K - 1-29-2006 at 08:38 AM

Thanks Lou... Is Off Road Warehouse a good place for this, or any suspension shop?

turtleandtoad - 1-29-2006 at 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Wow, you must have been on the whoops near San Felipe.

Actually, the best I can figure, it happened on I-10 outside of Tuscon! Go figure !!!

TMW - 1-29-2006 at 10:52 AM

David ORW will sell and install them. Like Neal and Lou I think an added leaf is a good way to go. I believe that new trucks are designed for more of a good hwy ride instead of off road use. Another useless item is antilock brakes when off road. At least I can pull a fuse in my Z71.

TMW - 1-29-2006 at 11:00 AM

Pompano I would drive the new truck with the trailer first, then if needed look into an add a leaf (least expensive choice) or heavy duty spring package at the dealer or someone like National Spring in the San Diego area. One would think a 1 ton truck would have a pretty heavy duty package to begin with. Good luck.

Roberto - 1-29-2006 at 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
David, give Deaver springs a call.They will make what you want and they are in your area.I would also go with a long leaf rather than a short overload type.

Ditto that - most any spring you buy at ORW will have been made by Deaver. Jeff Deaver and family have been doing this for a long time, and will set up most any race vehicle, chase truck, truck, trailer, rv, etc. according to the specific needs you have. They are in Santa Ana.

David K - 1-30-2006 at 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
David ORW will sell and install them. Like Neal and Lou I think an added leaf is a good way to go. I believe that new trucks are designed for more of a good hwy ride instead of off road use. Another useless item is antilock brakes when off road. At least I can pull a fuse in my Z71.

Wow TW, you may have solved another issue I am having... the ABS system in my '01 worked fine all the time, the '05 doesn't like bumpy roads and when I brake, while bouncing on dirt it 'grawals' at me and the pedal feels like metal to metal! Very uncomfortable feeling, if you are not used to it.

The fellows at my dealership says that is normal ABS on dirt roads and there is plenty of brake pad still, so it wasn't metal to metal. I wonder why my '01 didn't do any of that? Is the Toyota as easy to disable the ABS system when I am off road, as the Chevy?

Thanks Glenn and Roberto for the kudos on the spring shop.. If Deaver is in Santa Ana, I will probably need to go to ORW in Escondido to keep it close... But, I will check them both out!

Debra - 1-30-2006 at 10:03 AM

And here I was so excited about my new shocks and now you all have given me more to worry about.....What is all this about Anti lock brakes and leafs? What do I need to be concerned about? :?:

David K - 1-30-2006 at 10:27 AM

Debra, maybe nothing...

The only two issues I am having with my heavier 4 door Tacoma is the front brakes and the rear suspension...

The front brakes (when bouncing on dirt roads) act strangely compared to my previous Toyota in that they make a grawling noise and my pedar depresses all the way down...

I am told that is the ABS (Anti Lock Brakes), is working fine... IE since you are on a dirt road, the tires will always slide when they are braked... unlike on pavement... The ABS doesn't let tires lock up, so they try and not let you brake so hard as to cause the truck to slide.. Normally this is good on paved roads... On dirt, you get the sensation of the brakes failing, as you mash the pedal, and the tires still don't lock up.

Now, it feels strange in the foot pedal and the ABS 'motor' grawls when you brake suddonly on dirt... But, I never failed to stop.

The only other brake issue was the occaisional squeel or whistle coming from the front right brake area at highway speed... Seems some 'plate' got bent and created it... it rarely squeels anymore... But that was something Toyota didn't know how to fix. It began at 8,000 miles... maybe a rock hit something.

As for the suspension... This '05 is a bigger overall size truck than previous Tacomas, plus the double cab... and I have bottomed out the rear suspension a couple times... and not with a cargo load... just 4 people and a baby inside. I suspect it is the same suspension as the previous smaller Tacomas, and the additional weight plus my 'not so slow' driving will require an additional leaf, per Neal and others.

[Edited on 1-30-2006 by David K]

Debra - 1-30-2006 at 10:55 AM

Thank you David,

I'm breathing a bit easier now with your explaintion.......I should have thought about it before I got myself worked up and worried......David K. v Debra driving (and Mike H.) I get it!!!! :biggrin:

(Debra gets to know any new rig, equipment, how it behaves, then goes for it......David, Mike.....:no: :biggrin:) Just GOOOOOOOOOO!

Short of airing the tires down......

Hook - 1-30-2006 at 12:40 PM

....has ANYONE found a shock that helps smooth out the sections of freeway that are laid in sections?

I have an F350 4WD ext cab diesel and when I take my Lance off, it is unbearable. Right now I'm using Rancho 9000s set at the softest setting. These are older ones that only have 5 settings.

I am not that concerned with having shocks that will perform well on dirt. I dont really do any hard-core driving on dirt. I want a pavement solution.

Naturally, I am full leaf front and back.

Roberto, anyone, what are you running and what have you heard?

Roberto - 1-30-2006 at 03:42 PM

PJ,

I am running custom springs on my truck - from Deaver Spring. I have lost some carrying capacity (not much) but have bought compliance. One of the things Jeff Deaver did was to elminate the top leaf and replace it with a custom made spring curved down instead of up. What this does is not bring that leaf into play at all unless I am loaded down. My DRW is now a SRW, and I'm running 37" Mud-Terrains and Bilstein 7100 shocks. Huge difference off-road - the thing is just unbelievable on washboard. On I-5, I still feel the expansion joints, but I can get up on plane and eliminate them almost completely - I just have to go fast enough :O. (actually about 75). The fact that you feel it so much more sans camper should tell you that the problem is in the stiffness of the springs (it is a one-ton truck, after all), and not the shocks.

I would drive to Santa Ana and talk to Jeff Deaver and see what he comes up with - at least give him a call. I believe they have a website now.

Here are two pictures of my baby as it looks now.

[Edited on 1-30-2006 by Roberto]

That's wild!

Hook - 1-30-2006 at 05:04 PM

I never knew that losing two wheels was an option on a DRW truck.

Deaver has been the word up here forever. thanks for the tip.

elgatoloco - 1-30-2006 at 05:12 PM

In San Diego I used Frame & Axle in El Cajon.

First I put Bilstiens, dual mounts up front , singles in the back.

Then I took my F-250 down to Frame & Axle empty, they measured all the clearances and such, then I took it back with camper mounted and loaded and they re-measured then they set up truck so that it rides level with or without the camper mounted. Nice people and good work.

Ken Cooke - 1-30-2006 at 06:53 PM

David,

If you add a leaf to your rear springpack, will your shock absorbers then become too short? Perhaps you need to let whoever does the work know that you are looking for 0"-1" of spring lift. By keeping the lift as short as possible with that add a leaf, you will also keep those Bilsteins within their optimum range of stroke...

TMW - 1-30-2006 at 07:01 PM

Ken I know Bilstein and Rancho shocks are good for a 0-2 inch lift. But is good to check anyway.

TMW - 1-30-2006 at 07:28 PM

David, I'm not familiar with the Toyota ABS as far as disconnecting it. I would guess there is a fuse that can be pulled. Check with your friendly service department. With the GM trucks there are two fuses. A 10 amp on the drivers side panel and it disconnects everything including the proportioning valve. The normal method is to pull the 60 amp in the engine compartment as this leaves the proportioning in service. If your not driving fast the 10 amp will do. What ever you do be careful at first to make sure your brakes work OK.

Fatboy - 1-31-2006 at 07:11 PM

Having used RS5000's, RS9000's, TrailMaster's and Pro Comp's MX6 Adjustables (they make a MX6 that is not adjustable) for me the winner is RS9000's hands down. RS5000's are not worth the money at all. I am completely disappointed in the MX6s that I have and will probably pull the RS9000s off my other jeep to replace them on my TJ. For me there is not enough range in the adjustment and the valving seems off.

Every rig is different and so are driving conditions so remember everyone says (Insert Name Here) shocks are awesome and (again, insert name) shocks sucks.

Rancho used to offer a trail period on the RS9000s. You buy, you try. Don't like they will give a refund and I think some of the cost of the labor if you had a shop install them. While it may take a few weeks to get your money back it might be worth it to try them.

roverdude - 2-23-2006 at 08:15 PM

Not to put any brands down, but all brands mentioned are sub-par to the Fox. Yes, you'll spend a bit more but worth every cent. Depending on budget and what you do while you're driving will dictate which model of Fox. Otherwise, get the Old Man Emu. It's a brand out of Australia and catching on. It's similar in price to the nicer brands mentioned and in my opinion a better product. Plus, they build suspensions for most off-road worthy trucks and SUVs. Now if you're rich don't even think about it.... Kings.

David K - 2-23-2006 at 09:04 PM

Enjoyed you web site R'Dude!

Taco de Baja - 2-24-2006 at 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

I wonder why my '01 didn't do any of that? Is the Toyota as easy to disable the ABS system when I am off road, as the Chevy?

Myabe it was broken in your '01 ;D

As far ar diabling it in your '05, all you should have to do if pull the ABS fuse. You may get a CEL or an ABS light, but that will go away after you reconnect the fuse back on the pavement after a few drive cycles.

-----

Back on topic,
I really like my Rancho 9000 (mounted on a 1996 Tacoma)
I can set them "softer" for driving around town with no load, or "harder" when I have a load, or am off road.

[Edited on 2-24-2006 by Taco de Baja]

David K - 2-24-2006 at 09:04 AM

Great!!!

Thanks ... :bounce:

The ABS did work in my '01 (at least I never skidded when panic breaking on pavement... The pedal just never went to the floor and grawled at me like the '05 does, on dirt roads!

[Edited on 2-24-2006 by David K]