BajaNomad

Baja discussion on Mayo?

Baja Bernie - 2-6-2006 at 08:00 AM

Your new signature reminds me of your story on your 'old Baja Buggy.'

Pompano - 2-6-2006 at 09:54 AM

Carumba, Bernie....I remember those flames well. I still have marks on my neck!!

Pompano - 2-6-2006 at 11:49 AM

Braulio....I grew up on a North Dakota ranch close to the Montana and South Dakota borders..just across a river. My dad used to tell me of the border wars he had with ranchers from South Dakota. The SD guys would throw bombs across the river. My Dad said he would pick them up, light them, and throw them back...........he said they smelled of mayo, too.

capt. mike - 2-6-2006 at 12:26 PM

hey.....wait a minute here....are we supposed to be talkin' about mayo over on the Graham island infomercial section??!!:?::biggrin::biggrin:

Could be, but...

neilm - 2-6-2006 at 02:10 PM

I know it's done in 'Alta Cal'.... they call it a 'wrap'.

I think it's a show-biz thing.

Neil

Quote:
Originally posted by Braulio

I may be mistaken but I think putting mayo on a tortilla in Mexico is illegal.

David K - 2-6-2006 at 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
hey.....wait a minute here....are we supposed to be talkin' about mayo over on the Graham island infomercial section??!!:?::biggrin::biggrin:

Hey, I can post the email reports here too...:lol::lol::lol:

Honestly, it isn't an infomercial because there is nothing (yet) for sale! It is just letting you know what a popular Baja author is doing, that may become his fourth book... So right now, it is an adventure report.

As for Mayo... YUM! Mustard on a burger??? YECH!:barf:

Ketchup on a burger for me!:lol:

MAYO, MAAAAAYYYOOOO, Daylight's gone and we gotta go home...

Mexray - 2-6-2006 at 05:43 PM

...and I was just using 'Mayo' to try and rhyme with San Diego in that Limerick to David...

I only use the stuff to brown the bread on a grilled cheese sandwich...or mix with canned Tuna for a quick Tuna Sand on Rye...yummy!

David K - 2-6-2006 at 05:46 PM

I thought Miracle Whip was used for... oh never mind! Miracle Whip for fruit, mayo for meat... Now I remember!!!

Funny how Miracle Whip irritates mayo lovers!!!:lol:

Al G - 2-6-2006 at 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I thought Miracle Whip was used for... oh never mind! Miracle Whip for fruit, mayo for meat... Now I remember!!!

The sugar in miracle whip ruins the taste of salt in mayo.
Come to think of it, is there not sugar and salt in everything that taste GOOD

Just shows you how much I know...

Mexray - 2-6-2006 at 06:12 PM

...I thought 'Miracle Whip' was a device used by a dominatrix in a Hollywood pleasure parlor...now you're telling me it's a 'condiment', too...

David K - 2-6-2006 at 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G
Quote:
Originally posted by David K

The sugar in miracle whip ruins the taste of salt in mayo.
Come to think of it, is there not sugar and salt in everything that taste GOOD

Al, my mom and dad had debates about the use of those two throughout the 60's and 70's! My mom was a mayonnaise person and my dad loved Miracle Whip...

Funny, but they both liked mustard and I could never eat that, to this day! I always use mayonnaise (good thing as Baja Angel hates Miracle Whip, LOL!!!).

This sure is a strange subject!!! LOL

flyfishinPam - 2-6-2006 at 07:21 PM

OK, I've never seen so much mayo consumed as I have living here (in Baja). The fascination with mayo doesn't seem to exist on the mainland as it does here....

A, you are of course refering to...

Mexray - 2-6-2006 at 09:45 PM

...that 'Sink-o de Mayo' thing...right!

elizabeth - 2-6-2006 at 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by flyfishinPam
OK, I've never seen so much mayo consumed as I have living here (in Baja). The fascination with mayo doesn't seem to exist on the mainland as it does here....

Except, it seems, in the state of Veracruz...Lake Catemaco, it seems to be used anytime that crema would be used anywhere else on the mainland.

Pompano - 2-7-2006 at 08:35 AM

MAYO EATERS....I equate to BOTTOMFEEDERS (or those new Loreto Pond Feeders). RISE UP LOVERS OF MIRACLE WHIP & CATSUP..BUT NOT...ARRGGH... HEINZ!!

[Edited on 2-7-2006 by Pompano]

pomp

Baja Bernie - 2-7-2006 at 06:53 PM

I with you all the way on this and not a "57" pickle either shall pass my lips.

What a goofy post--but fun!

Mayonesa

Pablo - 2-7-2006 at 07:07 PM

Best Foods
Mayonesa
con jugo de limon

Al G - 2-7-2006 at 08:10 PM

How long has mayo been Baja a thing??
You all know I am a Baja rookie, but mayo does not seem to fit.
The thought of Mayo on tortillas seems sacrilegious.
Pass the guacamole and jalape?os please.

[Edited on 2-8-2006 by Al G]

Frank - 2-7-2006 at 08:21 PM

No Mayo, what do you put on fish tacos? white sauce? :biggrin:

Pablo - 2-7-2006 at 08:21 PM

I agree with Al G, "Miracle Whip" on tortillas is sacrilegious. On anything.

Baja Angel - 2-7-2006 at 08:29 PM

:o MIRACLE WHIP :?:

BEST FOODS ALL THE WAY :bounce:

The only place Miracle Whip belongs is in the jar with a tight lid :yes: :saint:

Pablo - 2-7-2006 at 08:32 PM

In someone else's pantry......

Baja Angel - 2-7-2006 at 08:33 PM

Pablo....

thats even better! :saint:

Al G - 2-7-2006 at 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank
No Mayo, what do you put on fish tacos? white sauce? :biggrin:

Guacamole, Roasted Jalape?os, and tiny squeeze of limon

Pablo - 2-7-2006 at 08:48 PM

Cilantro

Al G - 2-7-2006 at 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pablo
Cilantro

I knew there was someting......I forgot:lol:

JZ - 2-7-2006 at 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by flyfishinPam

Wrong! My best MX friend on the mainland sleeps with a small jar!

Paula - 2-7-2006 at 08:59 PM

anybody eaten an mayonaise chocolate cake... a retro 50's recipe I think. Really!! See cooks .com...

I haven't actually tried it and think I never will

JZ - 2-7-2006 at 08:59 PM

Quote:
Cilantro

Yuk, triple yuk! I hate cilantro! CA seems to have a fascination with it. Probably one of the only MX food things I dis-like. Just taste weird to me. Obviously, people like, but doesn't anyone agree with me. I'll take mayo anyday.

JZ - 2-7-2006 at 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Angel
:o MIRACLE WHIP :?:

BEST FOODS ALL THE WAY :bounce:

The only place Miracle Whip belongs is in the jar with a tight lid :yes: :saint:

I agree with that!

JZ - 2-7-2006 at 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Braulio
Funny stuff - people from the midwest make fun of the folks from Iowa - and folks from Iowa joke about people from the Dakotas...and now folks from North Dakota....

What are you talking about. Iowa is the mid-west and the Dakotas aren't.

Pablo - 2-7-2006 at 09:08 PM

JZ, I wouldn't use any of that mayo your friend has by his bed side. :lol:

AZ boy here likes cilantro.

JZ - 2-7-2006 at 09:20 PM

Ha ha; I guess I set myself up for that one. :O

Pablo - 2-7-2006 at 09:24 PM

Sorry my friend, couldn't let it slide...oops

To Baja-ize the thread a little.

vgabndo - 2-8-2006 at 12:17 AM

I am constantly trying to pry "secrets" from my two favorite fish taco joints in Loreto. Finally one day at Rey de Tacos, I got the secret for their delicious white sauce. Best Foods Mayo and water. Only Best Foods. It might even be true.

More Baja mayo than I can stand...

Pompano - 2-8-2006 at 03:22 AM

This was today at the 'Issty' store in Sta. Rosalia. Everywhere I turned I was overrun with ...gag....mayonnaise!

We are frantically searching for Miracle Whip hoarders.

Fish tacos

fdt - 2-8-2006 at 08:58 AM

at least the originals are made or come with a creamy white sauce made from mayonaise. Since this thread started I've been trying to remember were in M?xico mayonaise isn't used or what mexican family doesn't use it and I cant think of one. I personaly buy it and ketchup (or catsup, sopa de gato) by the galon for our home, but it has to be Best Foods.

bajajudy - 2-8-2006 at 09:33 AM

A fish taco without that white sauce, is just not right. I always thought that it was crema but the mayo with water would explain the thin consistency. I also love cole slaw on my fish tacos(Rosy's here in San Jose has the best but watch out for their salsa Mexicana, it is loaded with chiles and HOT)

Also, on the cilandro thing, there have been studies done that prove that LARGE quantities of cilantro kill samonella. They say that explains why Mexicans dont get that variety of food poisoning. Until I quit smoking 12 years ago, I couldnt stand the taste of the stuff, thought it tasted like soap. Now I absolutely adore it and pile it on everything.

bajajudy - 2-8-2006 at 09:37 AM

I almost forgot
We call catsup, Salsa Americana. That is always good for a laugh but you have to be very definitive about your pronounciation so it doesnt sound like Mexicana.

On a totally unrelated note. Did you know that French people call Americans mountains of catsup....not in a nice way either.

bajalera - 2-8-2006 at 10:44 AM

No, Judy, I didn't know that. Should we take offense?

capt. mike - 2-8-2006 at 10:55 AM

screw the frogs.................:fire::moon:

postman - 2-8-2006 at 11:46 AM

I like a corn tortilla with mayo, dill pickle and peanut butter.

bajajudy - 2-8-2006 at 11:49 AM

Lera, absolutely!

Mike, absolutely!

Pickles and peanut butter......are you with child?

elgatoloco - 2-8-2006 at 11:58 AM

Baja & mayo

We spent lots of time in Baja when I was a kid. From the time I was about six years old a typical summer day would be up at dawn, bowl of cherrios and a toasted boleo with jam, hit the surf, out of the water at noon, heat up a flour tortilla on the stove cover with 1/2" peanut butter add liberal amount of mayo, roll into tube,chase with RC Cola and back to the surf until sunset.

We called them Tacowaddy's and we all ate them. About 5-6 years ago my wife surprised me by making me one, I had one bite and said thanks, but no thanks. I guess after three decades my taste buds had changed. I still like peanut butter, mayo and flour tortillas, just not all at once.

The first time I had a sandwich with Miracle Whip at a friend's house I went home and told my mommy that the neighbor's mayo was spoiled. Have not had it since. :barf:

bajalera - 2-8-2006 at 02:47 PM

Has anyone mentioned that the same mayo sold as Best Foods in the West may have a Hellman's label in other places [including some La Paz supers]? In Albuquerque, stores accepted Best Foods coupons for either brand.

Pablo - 2-8-2006 at 03:08 PM

I have not seen it mentioned, but I believe you are correct. Thus for the record.

fdt - 2-8-2006 at 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalera
Has anyone mentioned that the same mayo sold as Best Foods in the West may have a Hellman's label in other places [including some La Paz supers]? In Albuquerque, stores accepted Best Foods coupons for either brand.

Sais so rigt on the label.

backninedan - 2-8-2006 at 03:29 PM

Postman, thanks for your post. I can finally show my wife that Im not the only person that thinks peanut butter, dill pickle and mayo belong on the same sandwhich.

Pablo - 2-8-2006 at 03:32 PM

She'll still think you loco.:lol:

Bob and Susan - 2-8-2006 at 06:44 PM

Hellmann's? is known as Best Foods? west of the Rockies

Best Foods? is known as Hellmann's? east of the Rockies

They're the same:light:

fdt - 2-8-2006 at 06:53 PM

Quote:
Cilantro

Cilantro is for tacos de carne asada, adobada or pastor, carnitas even frijoles but not tacos de pescado, unless you eat at Rubios and that is not mexican (Sorry Ralph).

mayonaise mayonaise mayonaise

Al G - 2-8-2006 at 07:14 PM

What is it with this thread? I haven't thought about mayonaise this much in my entire life:lol::lol::lol:
I think I'll start one on some good salsa or butter:lol::lol:
Now I must try fish tacos with white sauce:biggrin:

Edit: Hold the peanut butter, mayo and pickles

[Edited on 2-9-2006 by Al G]

bajajudy - 2-8-2006 at 07:55 PM

No way cilantro on a fish taco. But I do like a little in the salsa mexicana which of course is under the mayo.:P

Al G - 2-8-2006 at 08:22 PM

Judy I swear I will never use cilantro on my fish taco again:lol:

Dave - 2-9-2006 at 01:37 PM

Pompano, make your own Miracle Whip.

To one cup of mayo add:

1tsp lemon juice & 1 tbsp sugar.

Adjust for sweetness desired.

For mil islas additionally add pickle relish and chili sauce.

For Russian dressing additionally add horseradish.

For a Reuben sandwich additionally add corned beef, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese and rye bread.

(Sour pickle optional.)

[Edited on 2-9-2006 by Dave]

Mike Supino - 2-9-2006 at 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
Hellmann's? is known as Best Foods? west of the Rockies

Best Foods? is known as Hellmann's? east of the Rockies

What's it called in Denver?

Qvanbruce - 2-9-2006 at 03:14 PM

JR'll probably strike me dead w/ a lightning bolt for contributing to this mayo-madness but, I can't believe nobody's tried quesadillas w/mayo & thin sliced bananas! :yes:

capt. mike - 2-9-2006 at 03:19 PM

Mateo - my mom made PB and mayo sammiches.....when i was in grade school, yuch!!!!!!!! still makes me want to ralph.

just can't imagine that flavor combo!
now PB and bananas...that's another story! yummmmmmmmmmmmmm
how about lays potato chips on a PB and J w/ wheat bread....need one now, C ya!

bajajudy - 2-9-2006 at 03:45 PM

I eat potato chips on all my lunch meat sandwiches. I put them on and then smush the sandwich down. That is, of course, after I have put French's yellow mustard and MAYO.

Here's another combo for ya.
PB, avocado and honey on whole wheat. Have never tried it with MAYO:(

My skin is actually crawling

DanO - 2-9-2006 at 04:12 PM

Peanut butter, pickle and mayo sandwich? Banana and mayo quesadilla? Right. I can make up weird food too. How about a yummy beef tongue, apricot jam and anchovy sandwich with mayo? Head cheese and mayo quesadillas with maple syrup and ketchup? And for dessert, oreos dipped in mayo and sprinkled with bonito flakes and bacon bits? Blecccchhhhh!

bajalera - 2-9-2006 at 04:23 PM

Q, you fit right in here. Must be in the genes.

Frank - 2-9-2006 at 06:25 PM

Q, do you have pork chop side burns and say "Thank you very much,amigo":biggrin:

Paula - 2-9-2006 at 08:07 PM

:saint:The Mayo chocolate cake is starting to sound good after someof the combos above!!!

Al G - 2-9-2006 at 09:46 PM

I can not wrap my mind around pickle,peanut and mayo, you should try my favorite. Small, but good! peanut butter-slice of banana-small piece of Hersey chocolate bar on vanilla wafer:bounce:

BOLABOUND - 2-9-2006 at 10:00 PM

Mayo on your tostada de ceviche de camaron m-m-m-m:bounce:

Al G - 2-9-2006 at 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BOLABOUND
Mayo on your tostada de ceviche de camaron m-m-m-m:bounce:

What do you put on a ceviche taco or do you eat it that way?? If you can't guess I have not had ceviche yet.:P
Edit: What, no mayo:lol:

[Edited on 2-10-2006 by Al G]

BOLABOUND - 2-9-2006 at 10:33 PM

You spread the mayo on the tostada all around and then you put the ice

cold ceviche on top m-m-m-m:yes:

Pompano - 2-10-2006 at 08:02 AM

Weird fun thread about Baja eating habits....

How about this one?

Once a visiting amigo from Up North arose early one morning to make his own breakfast. I was semi-awake and heard some strange rustling and crunching noises coming from the kitchen so I went to investigate.

There was my old buddy, Dusty..an avid Baja flyer and innovator of small plane camping/eating techniques. He had laid out a flour tortilla, opened a pull-top can of chocolate pudding and slathered the tortilla with it, then sprinked a small box of sugar-frosted flakes onto the pudding. He crunch-rolled the whole works up like a burrito, holding it up and saying..."Care to try a Baja Twinkie?"

p.s. I make this goodie for our grandchildren whenever Felipa is not looking and they love it!

p.s.p.s Only a degenerate with dead taste buds would add....yech....Mayo... to this delicacy.

postman - 2-10-2006 at 08:24 AM

Mo Mayo but Pbutter stuffed jalipinos are realy tasty too.

postman - 2-10-2006 at 08:31 AM

Damn big fingers, that should be NO Mayo!

bajalera - 2-10-2006 at 11:07 AM

I've already gained ten pounds from reading all this.

comitan - 2-10-2006 at 11:17 AM

Lera

McCormicks light Mayo w/ lime the best and only add 5lbs.