BajaNomad

Jeep Liberty?

neilm - 2-7-2006 at 10:39 AM

Can you make a good baja/off-road sled out of one of these?

Any experience with the diesel?

My old Comanche's been retired and it's time to find a new rig.

Neil

bajataco - 2-7-2006 at 11:32 AM

From what I have seen, they are very capable. Check out the Lost KJ's website to give you an idea...

http://lostkjs.com/ (warning: flash site w/music)

neilm - 2-7-2006 at 02:12 PM

Thanks for the link.... and the warning!

Neil

Ken Cooke - 2-7-2006 at 05:52 PM

The Common Rail Diesel KJ gets a whopping 500 mi. per tankful and mileage in the mid and upper 20s per gallon.

I have been four wheeling with these little SUVs and with the right modifications, they can tackle some difficult terrain...

bufeo - 2-7-2006 at 06:31 PM

The Jeep Liberty was the only American vehicle we saw in any numbers on our recent (back only two days) trip to South Africa and Namibia. We were renting a '93 Toyota Landcruiser "Bushcamper" and we met several modified Liberties in the bush. I have a couple of pix, but I haven't edited them yet. If I do so over the next couple of days I'll post them.

comitan - 2-7-2006 at 06:48 PM

I have friends that bought one new drove down the Baja to La Paz, they were very unhappy with it, they said the gas mileage was poor, and was gutless, The engine was very noisey, I road in the back seat from La Paz to Los Barllies, halfway there my legs were numb, had to put legs across to other side to be somewhat comfy, thumbs down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob and Susan - 2-7-2006 at 07:34 PM

My in-laws have one....trailer two seadoos no problem.
Lots of power...

Daniel my brother-in-law is a cross country truck driver and does complain about leg-room.

rlruss - 2-7-2006 at 10:47 PM

[img]http://us.a1.yahoofs.com/users/41a414b9zd48cc13/8653/__tn_/d9d8scd.jpg?phQdY6DBcVojM3po[/img][/img]

[img]http://us.a1.yahoofs.com/users/41a414b9zd48cc13/2c05/__tn_/82bescd.jpg?ph4sY6DBN8fi5wIH[/img]

The Liberty surpises many offroad

Ken Cooke - 2-8-2006 at 10:11 PM

Libertys invade Calico, CA (outside of Barstow, CA)

Here are a few comparison shots...

Ken Cooke - 2-8-2006 at 10:17 PM

Here's proof that with the right body armor, tires, and rear traction device (locker), you can go most anyplace in Baja in one of these little SUVs...

David K - 2-9-2006 at 12:45 AM

Thanks Ken, that's the first Liberty that actually looks good!

I just can't figure why Jeep doesn't put 'real' tires on their 4WD vehicles*!

Tires make all the difference! The Liberty looks so sissy with street tires (well most any 4X4 does with street tires)... The rack, lights, etc. really help make it look like a Jeep!

*The Rubicon is the only model I think they have with all terrain type tires standard?

Ken Cooke - 2-15-2006 at 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
*The Rubicon is the only model I think they have with all terrain type tires standard?

Up until the '07 model, Rubicons come with Goodyear MT/R (Maximum Traction/Reinforced) 31" metric tires.

In '07, the Rubicons will come standard with BFGoodrich MT/KM (Mud Terrain/Key feat. Mud) 32" metric tires.

I ran 33" BFGoodrich AT/KO (All Terrain/Key feat. Off Road) treads for a little over 3 weeks before swapping them with a friend for the MT/KMs. The reason? Better traction in places like Mission Impossible.