BajaNomad

Get "The Point"

Pompano - 2-8-2006 at 02:01 AM

This is Point Conception forming Bahia de Concepcion:

-- Editing comment: In response to a few U2U's I will bring the below pictures up and keep posting on BajaNomads for the time being. It is indeed the same rock in the Painted Canyon as shown in Earl Stanley Gardner's books. I took that lower photo 2 years ago. I really don't think it matters much if the photo was taken in 1966 or today..it has not changed, which is what I like about Baja. (We learn to ignore certain other unimportant changes.)

Painted Canyon is a little ways from Baja Pattie's old Rancho Margarita where we partied hardy on many an occasion. She was a true Baja affecianado and crustier than an old fry pan. She was revered by all who knew her and respected by the local rancheros. Doubt she would have much to do with certain characters today. You didn't go to her rancho uninvited.

The Point attracted many Baja adventurers and individualists who lived there for a time. The place is crowded memories of mine workers, climbers, hermits, fishermen, scallopers, druggers, army patrols, horsepeople (like Pattie), hunters, and just people looking for some peace and quiet...a place to pursue their dreams. It is easily accessible nowadays..maybe too much so.--

NOTE: My photos cover a wide age range...from "a long time ago"....to yesterday. Been here a while. I watched the Point cool from lava.

[Edited on 2-8-2006 by Pompano]

Scallop shells left at the Point

Pompano - 2-8-2006 at 02:09 AM

During the late 80's and early 90's the Bay was severely affected by the over-harvesting of bay scallops. At it's peak, over 3000 workers made the Point and the Bay home while hooka divers scoured the bottom. The stench lingered for a couple years. Nowadays you would be hard pressed to find a meal of bay scallops. We hope in time that they will come back in numbers.

The road out to the Point was severly rutted back then by all the traffic.

Point Concepton Road signpost

Pompano - 2-8-2006 at 02:14 AM

This old Y-shaped cactus is a familiar landmark to some BOC Point travelers. We leave messages stuck to it for the next adventurers. You turn north to the Point (Baja Pattie's, the Mine, the Painted Canyon, Corona Dave's, JIngle and Domingo beaches, and other haunts. If you continued staight ahead the trail will eventually take you to the bustling community of San Sebastian on the Cortez.

The Point from Playa Armenta

Pompano - 2-8-2006 at 02:32 AM

That rugged landscape across the Bay attracts a lot of travelers today. I dropped off some climber/hikers on the offshore side last year...or was it the year before?..I forget..better check my memory stick. They walked/climbed over the tallest peak and we met them on the side you see here. A nice trek. An old college amigo and I did the same route back in...Opps, let's not talk ancient history. Lots of wildlife over there-deer, rabbits, fox, coyote, bigfoots, and sometimes a few burroes.

Baja Pattie's tree

Pompano - 2-8-2006 at 02:43 AM

This is close to Rcho Margarita...lots of good water promotes figs, mesquite, palo blanco, elephant trees, etc. Also the San Sebastian trail was on another good water route. We love the doves and quail that frequent these places.

More to the Point...

Pompano - 2-8-2006 at 02:51 AM

When you drive over to the old mine (operated during WWII and now defunct and abandoned) you will note many storage caves and bunkers, plus remains of the old loading pier. This pier is a great fishing hole...just cast a heavy silver spoon as far as you can and reel/jig it back fast.

A sailing landmark is the Osprey Rock just south of the mine. Can you make out the nest on top? I could try to get some more recent pictures on my next fishing trip past there...I think this one is at least 2 or 3 years old now. That damn rock is probably eroded right down to a nub.

Getting to the Point..

Pompano - 2-8-2006 at 03:04 AM

This was a favorite buggy of mine to cruise out to the Point. I

Bernie..that buggy is the one in my story you asked about...the one that caught fire! See the container behind my head? Loved those horns. My co-pilot is the famous Cinzia of Playa Naranjos.;D

Camping at the Point

Pompano - 2-8-2006 at 03:13 AM

Some friends from Campo, Ca. who loved the 'lonely' Point. They are party animals! They put together a comfy place about halfway up the trail to Painted Canyon a while back. Coyote Beach got too crowded for them after 2 other rigs pulled in. That homebuilt truck/camper had everything, including the kitchen sink and a patio bedroom over the cab. We would stop and hang out at their campfires...singing into the desert night. Mucho fun.

Point of no return..the fish-catch that is.

Pompano - 2-8-2006 at 03:17 AM

If you should ever get to the cove at the Point's San Sebastian...try the dogsnapper fishing! It is very productive with WishBone lures.

Pomp

Baja Bernie - 2-8-2006 at 07:31 AM

Thanks! And thanks for the picture of the Bug it will make a good illustration to go with your story.

elgatoloco - 2-8-2006 at 08:01 AM

Great stuff, thanks!

David K - 2-8-2006 at 08:31 AM

Mil gracias!!!

Yes,

Sharksbaja - 2-8-2006 at 01:01 PM

I get it.

And for what it's worth...... I did let my angst reflect in my rant to you. The irony here is; I was determined to start posting more positive baja related stuff instead of the mostly juxtaposed style of mine as of late. Maybe I'm hopeless:no:
I really don't like reposting my same old photos so I was reluctant but did it anyway. I forgot my memory stick on the last trip out.
Pompano, IMHO your knowledge of the area is really unmatched by any gringo I've ever heard of. I felt completely smothered by your extensive response to my post and took it on a personal level and overreacted. I do that sometimes. A mistake. I had to sleep on it.

I feel bad it went that way and my retort was so insulting to you. Just would hate to see your wealth of knowledge short-change the Nomads. Have a nice day.

BTW good post and to the point;D

David K - 2-8-2006 at 05:13 PM

Sharks, if anyone doesn't want to look at 'the same photos', they don't have to... This site is dynamic, ie. people come and go... more and more new people all the time. Only a small number are registered Nomads...

So, even though us 'old timers' may have seen your pics posted before in an old thread, many more have not... Better to share (give) than not, right? Our memories may be short as well!;)

I thought my (and Don Jorge's) details of the El Camino Real and Santa Maria Canyon near Gonzaga were well known... then I saw Corky and mcgyver's posts that encouraged me to rehash that subject.

In doing so, bajalou made a nice satellite map of the area... very intereseting!

Please don't hesitate to share old photos, even if you had done so before.

Gracias!

Hanging Rock in 1966

David K - 2-8-2006 at 08:59 PM

I actually had posted this on Nomad... some time ago... Photo from Erle Stanley Gardner's 1967 'Off the Beaten Track in Baja'. Ricardo Castillo (with dark glasses) is sitting in one of J.W. Black's off road creations 'The Butterfly'... A few years later Honda made a 3 wheeled vehicle famous, the ATC 90.

Thanks to Pompano, I had the pleasure to speak with both Ricardo and J.W. via phone in my quest to find the ruins the Gardner party found south of L.A. Bay. Both were on that trip, as well as Choral Pepper and Bruce Barron both of whom I also spoke with... Choral, as most you know, on several occaisions as it was her belief those ruins were those of s proposed Jesuit mission, shown on the 1757 map, Santa Maria Magdalena http://vivabaja.com/1757

[Edited on 2-9-2006 by David K]

KurtG - 2-8-2006 at 09:15 PM

I've hiked up Arroyo Pintado several times, its quite lovely and the climb around the "hanging rock" is pretty easy. The arroyo is an easy hike since it gains elevation very slowly. Its a beautiful red rock canyon with a great new vista around each bend. El Salto is also a great hike and equally nice. I never met Baja Patty but have been to her place in the years since her death. What a view of the bay from over there! I met a guy who had settled in there about 5 years ago and gave him a hand cleaning out the spring which had silted in. All in all a great site.